FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
BLPs to watch: Glenn Beck's victims -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> Discussions in this subforum are hidden from search engines.

However, they are not hidden from automobile engines, including the newer, more "environmentally-friendly" electric and hybrid engines. Also, please note that this subforum is meant to be used for discussion of the actual biographical articles themselves; more generalized discussions of BLP policy should be posted in the General Discussion or Bureaucracy forums.

> BLPs to watch: Glenn Beck's victims, Beck's dumbass followers are getting annoying
Sxeptomaniac

Group: Regulars
Member No.: 3,542

Seems like I've been mostly adding the BLPs of various Glenn Beck victims to my watchlist lately. Beck followers love to fill the article of anyone mentioned by Beck lately with out-of-context quotes and Beck's accusations. SPA accounts work in teams with established Beck-promoting accounts(User:Drrll, for example), and various one-shot accounts and IPs.

The current favorite for BLP-violating attacks seems to be Frances Fox Piven, a professor who has been getting death threats thanks to Beck. The issue extends into the article for the Cloward-Piven strategy and her late husband, Richard Cloward.

In the not-so-distant past, these others are among those targeted by Beck and similar fake news pundits (some of the attacks have been more publicized, giving them a bit more attention to the articles):
  • Nina Totenberg, an NPR personality. I just noticed this one.
  • Jim Wallis, a progressive evangelical who's feuded with Beck over the past year. As a result, there have been various smear attempts on his page, as well as his organization, Sojourners, and magazine by the same name.
  • Cass Sunstein, who Beck groupies love to selectively quote from articles examining issues as if they were his ideas.
  • George Soros, a philanthropist/billionaire who's supposedly some kind of sinister "puppetmaster", according to Beck. It seems there are enough people watching to keep Beck's nuttiness off this article, at least, but the history shows a lot of reverts.
  • Mark Lloyd, who seems to have been fortunate to have dropped out of Beck's sights at this point.
This is far from a complete list, but this crap is starting to annoy me. It's not about information being (heaven forbid) wrong, but the maliciousness of these smear campaigns. The subjects of the articles sometimes don't even have any warning that they are being targeted. Beck just pulls their name and supposed crimes out of his ass, and his fanboys jump in line to try and make the articles reflect his bullshit.

This post has been edited by Sxeptomaniac:
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Sxeptomaniac

Group: Regulars
Member No.: 3,542

Meh. I'm just having trouble caring any more. I feuded with the anti-ID people, the Bullshido people, the right-wing sycophants, and some other wackos in-between. My life has gotten busier the last year or so, and I'm just tired of the routine battles. Perhaps this is how WP will decline (I always expected it to happen eventually), as the nationalists and ideologues just wear down the reasonable people.

I've found other intellectually stimulating, less annoying ways to waste what spare time I have now and then. ( http://ancientlives.org for example)

I'll probably draw attention the occasional BLP if I run across a bad one, but I just don't feel like going through the hassle myself any more.

Drrl, knock yourself out.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)