FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Sjc -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> Sjc, User number 150
tarantino

the Dude abides

Group: Regulars

From Meta:

After a number of recent unpleasant experiences with Wikipedia, I am of the opinion that I no longer wish to be associated in any way with the project whatsoever; I can only reflect on what a pleasure it was in the early days and what a deeply divided, hostile and abusive community it has now become. I request herewith admin status removal as I won't be needing it again. Sjc 09:11, 20 November 2009 (UTC)

He's unhappiness came to a head when an article he created was tagged for speedy deletion a minute after creation by a sockpuppet.
He says he will document his experience at the strategy task force on community health next week.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
dogbiscuit

Could you run through Verifiability not Truth once more?

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,015

I thnk the "stopped being fun" is the important aspect.

It stopped being fun when the reference police were given overarching powers. Before then, the reference was the trump card, but anyone could put anything they liked up. That meant that, in the world of how crowd sourcing was meant to work, someone could put their interesting snippet into an article, and then it would get knocked into shape. A sensible contribution would remain.

Now there is no incentive, in fact on a bad day a newbie will simply get banned for doing what they were asked to do - getting stuck in and adding their little piece to the sum of all human speculation.

Of course, although we now suspect that random editing by the human race does not result in a useful encyclopedia, what has been lost is a corrective mechanism to the sum of all human speculation being in the hands of a few misguided individuals, which is the net result of having the WikiStasi around. And clearly, being the WikiStasi is pretty disillusioning too, so a lose all round then.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)