FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Content Fixation And Regressive Education -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> Content Fixation And Regressive Education, Hang Down Your Head, John Dewey, & Cry
Rating  2
Jon Awbrey

τὰ δέ μοι παθήματα μαθήματα γέγονε

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 5,619

Forthcoming …

Jon (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/cool.gif)

This post has been edited by Jon Awbrey:
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Jon Awbrey

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Sun 6th July 2008, 9:52pm) *

Well, I won't try to cache you up on everything I did on my summer and solstice vacations, but I did just finish reading a fascinating book by Maryanne Wolf of Tufts University that bears on the general subject of this thread, so I was thinking that the eblogatory book report might be apt.

The title of the book is Proust and the Squid — now there's a hook if I ever read one — subtitled The Story and Science of the Reading Brain — still a teaser but a bit more of a clue. It's a little difficult to encompass the scope of the work in a single line, but let me give it the old collage try — Cognitive Neuroscience of Writing Systems and the Brains that Read and Misread Them, Both, with Ontogeny Recapping Phylogeny, More or Less, and Prospects for the Future of Humane Information Processing. But I still like her title better.

A lot of other hwk to do today, so I'll go collect my notes and get back to you later.

Jon Awbrey
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

QUOTE(Maryanne Wolf @ Proust and the Squid)

When all is said and done, of course, Socrates' worries were not so much about literacy as about what might happen to knowledge if the young had unguided, uncritical access to information. For Socrates, the search for real knowledge did not revolve around information. Rather, it was about finding the essence and purpose of life. Such a search required a lifelong commitment to developing the deepest critical and analytical skills, and to internalizing personal knowledge through the prodigious use of memory, and long effort. Only these conditions assured Socrates that a student was capable of moving from exploring knowledge in dialogue with a teacher to a path of principles that lead to action, virtue, and ultimately to a "friendship with his god." Socrates saw knowledge as a force for the higher good; anything — such as literacy — that might endanger it was anathema. (Wolf, p. 220).

Wolf, Maryanne (2007), Proust and the Squid : The Story and Science of the Reading Brain, Harper Collins, New York. Paperback edition, Harper Perennial, New York, 2008.

+Quote Post
Milton Roe

Known alias of J. Random Troll

Group: Regulars

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Fri 20th March 2009, 7:50pm) *

QUOTE(Maryanne Wolf @ Proust and the Squid)

When all is said and done, of course, Socrates' worries were not so much about literacy as about what might happen to knowledge if the young had unguided, uncritical access to information. For Socrates, the search for real knowledge did not revolve around information. Rather, it was about finding the essence and purpose of life. Such a search required a lifelong commitment to developing the deepest critical and analytical skills, and to internalizing personal knowledge through the prodigious use of memory, and long effort. Only these conditions assured Socrates that a student was capable of moving from exploring knowledge in dialogue with a teacher to a path of principles that lead to action, virtue, and ultimately to a "friendship with his god." Socrates saw knowledge as a force for the higher good; anything — such as literacy — that might endanger it was anathema. (Wolf, p. 220).

Wolf, Maryanne (2007), Proust and the Squid : The Story and Science of the Reading Brain, Harper Collins, New York. Paperback edition, Harper Perennial, New York, 2008.

And also, it would lead to students who weren't interested anymore in having live-dialogs with lonely old men. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/oldtimer.gif)

Haven't read the book, but the allusion in the title seems clear. Madelines and myelins.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)