FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Brandt's article deleted, undeleted, stubbed, ad infinitum... -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> Help

This subforum is for critical evaluation of Wikipedia articles. However, to reduce topic-bloat, please make note of exceptionally poor stubs, lists, and other less attention-worthy material in the Miscellaneous Grab Bag thread. Also, please be aware that agents of the Wikimedia Foundation might use your evaluations to improve the articles in question.

Useful Links: Featured Article CandidatesFeatured Article ReviewArticles for DeletionDeletion Review

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Brandt's article deleted, undeleted, stubbed, ad infinitum..., The BLP war era continues
Alex

Back from the dead

Group: Regulars

So it's gone now. Deleted by Yanksox, speedily endorsed by our friend Gaillimh. Three cheers all round? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/cool.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
gomi

Group: Members

Bravo. Now I want a box seat for the inevitable wheel war.
+Quote Post
Alex

Back from the dead

QUOTE(gomi @ Fri 23rd February 2007, 4:53pm) *

Bravo. Now I want a box seat for the inevitable wheel war.

It's currently being AfD'd, but I expect it'll produce a similar result.
+Quote Post
Somey

Can't actually moderate (or even post)

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 275

QUOTE(Alex @ Fri 23rd February 2007, 10:55am) *
...I expect it'll produce a similar result.

Similar = deleted, or similar = restored?

I think there's actually reason for optimism this time. Some of the "heavy hitters" are clearly fed up, and maybe this whole Fuzzy Zoeller business has affected their thinking somewhat - there's going to be a LOT of scrutiny of WP's BLP policies and procedures over the next couple of weeks, and deleting this now will help them enormously on that score.

I just wonder what we'll talk about here once that article is gone... Anybody know any good bran-muffin recipes? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Anonymouse

Neophyte

Group: Contributors

Now it's on WP:DRV, and staying deleted. Here's a permalink, decide for yourself: http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:l9nE4...lient=firefox-a
+Quote Post
taiwopanfob

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(Somey @ Fri 23rd February 2007, 5:12pm) *

I think there's actually reason for optimism this time. Some of the "heavy hitters" are clearly fed up, and maybe this whole Fuzzy Zoeller business has affected their thinking somewhat - there's going to be a LOT of scrutiny of WP's BLP policies and procedures over the next couple of weeks, and deleting this now will help them enormously on that score.

Wales and company must be quite relieved that Wikipedia was not listed as a defendant. But I suspect that if one quietly asked the plaintiff it may have been more to do with not wanting to suffer the image of being the guy who takes on (and perhaps down) WP than any legal hand-waving about section 230.

Anyways, a reasonable prediction of the theory is a spike in AFD's for borderline bios begins soon. Definitive evidence being an WP:BLP edit to the effect of "subject deletion requests honored".

This is an excellent opportunity for Wales to actually assert some executive authority.
+Quote Post
No one of consequence

I want to stare at the seaside and do nothing at all

Well, so far they're holding a clusterfuck over where the real clusterfuck should be held. The sleeper issue here is the super secret admins-only IRC channel. Can one deletion lead to 3 CFs on the same day? How about 4?
The third CF

This post has been edited by No one of consequence:
+Quote Post
Unrepentant Vandal

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(No one of consequence @ Fri 23rd February 2007, 5:45pm) *

Well, so far they're holding a clusterfuck over where the real clusterfuck should be held. The sleeper issue here is the super secret admins-only IRC channel. Can one deletion lead to 3 CFs on the same day? How about 4?
The third CF

Wikipedia is living in interesting times, and I'm loving it (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(taiwopanfob @ Fri 23rd February 2007, 12:42pm) *

This is an excellent opportunity for Wales to actually assert some executive authority.

Uh, oh. That's a surefire recipe for Mixed-signal-talky-out-of-one-side-of-my-mouth-but-me-do-different-thing-altogether-with-other-side-of-my-mouth Disease.

Please -- this is an excellent opportunity for Brad Patrick and the Board to grow some gonads and actually set a policy that is decidedly NOT of the typical knee-jerk variety!

I'm not holding my breath, though. That would subvert the power of the God-King, so it's not likely to happen.

Greg
+Quote Post
Alkivar

Look Jimbo wading in is probably a bad idea... we all know a fiat declaration will not be a popular thing.

The best thing that could happen is a public discourse at DRV (and not AFD) concludes with a keep deleted. the community at large (and quite a few of the admins) dont think the article is worth it.

Some likely voted delete/keep deleted in hopes they'd get off the hivemind, others because they feel brandt is non notable. Me its because i'm sick of seeing common sense fail to overcome the wiki-lawyering process.

So best of luck to you DB... hopefully the status quo of delete... remains the status quo.
+Quote Post
anon1234

Group: Inactive

QUOTE(Alkivar @ Fri 23rd February 2007, 8:35pm) *
The best thing that could happen is a public discourse at DRV (and not AFD) concludes with a keep deleted. the community at large (and quite a few of the admins) dont think the article is worth it.

Some likely voted delete/keep deleted in hopes they'd get off the hivemind, others because they feel brandt is non notable. Me its because i'm sick of seeing common sense fail to overcome the wiki-lawyering process.
While this is a solution to this article, it isn't a globally optimal solution. What this is, is an instance where sustained retaliation and pressure resulted in an article being removed. Most individuals who end up in Brandt's situation do not have the time or research ability to do this. A consistent policy that allows for intermediately notable people to opt-out of Wikipedia would be a fairer solution. While it would be difficult to craft, it would allow for more consistency in this current grey area. Wales shouldn't have to intervene every time in such situations nor should admins have to take on the risk of being very WP:BOLD as Yanksox did.

There should be a request for opt-out means which results in a way to confirm the request is authentic and then triggers an AfD. In that AfD people then argue whether or not the individual meets the higher degree of notability required in order to keep the article against the wishes of the article's subject. If a non-notable individual then becomes more public one can initiate another discussion of whether the individual is deserving of a Wikipedia bio. Thus integrating into the standard AfD policy framework a means of opting-out.

This post has been edited by anon1234:
+Quote Post
a view from the hive

Member No.: 768

QUOTE(anon1234 @ Fri 23rd February 2007, 1:10pm) *

QUOTE(Alkivar @ Fri 23rd February 2007, 8:35pm) *

While this is a solution to this article, it isn't a globally optimal solution. What this is, is an instance where sustained retaliation and pressure resulted in an article being removed. Most individuals who end up in Brandt's situation do not have the time or research ability to do this. A consistent policy that allows for intermediately notable people to opt-out of Wikipedia would be a fairer solution. While it would be difficult to craft, it would allow for more consistency in this current grey area. Wales shouldn't have to intervene every time in such situations nor should admins have to take on the risk of being very WP:BOLD as Yanksox did.

There should be a request for opt-out means which results in a way to confirm the request is authentic and then triggers an AfD. In that AfD people then argue whether or not the individual meets the higher degree of notability required in order to keep the article against the wishes of the article's subject. If a non-notable individual then becomes more public one can initiate another discussion of whether the individual is deserving of a Wikipedia bio. Thus integrating into the standard AfD policy framework a means of opting-out.

Well, it comes down to who actually would want to lookup info about Daniel. No offense, but I highly highly doubt Daniel's going to make Time or Fortune or any sort of public figure list anytime soon. The article was mostly kept because some people were strongly opposed to the tatics Daniel had used, and they wanted "revenge."

On the bright side, I think give it a couple more days and with the way it's going I can close the DRV as endorsed (it'd be too big of an uproar if I did it now and someone would likely wheel war over it...)
+Quote Post
LamontStormstar

Postmaster

Brandt's notable for mainly that Seigler(sp?) thing where Brandt found the guy's info.
+Quote Post
Somey

QUOTE(LamontStormstar @ Fri 23rd February 2007, 8:14pm) *
Brandt's notable for mainly that Seigler(sp?) thing where Brandt found the guy's info.

And don't forget he won the 1993 Texas Chili Cookoff in the Vegetarian Division. Hell, if it weren't for him, I'd still be using those awful dark red kidney beans...
+Quote Post
a view from the hive

QUOTE(LamontStormstar @ Fri 23rd February 2007, 6:14pm) *

I guess your definition of "notable" is something other than mine. I don't consider that notable at all.
+Quote Post
Somey

But what about the time in 1997 when he balanced 14 Romanian gymnasts on the tip of his nose? That record lasted almost three years!
+Quote Post
a view from the hive

QUOTE(Somey @ Fri 23rd February 2007, 8:09pm) *

But what about the time in 1997 when he balanced 14 Romanian gymnasts on the tip of his nose? That record lasted almost three years!

Wikipedia tries to contain only factual information. Perhaps The Wikipedia Review should try the same (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)

Try the truth, it looks better (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Somey

QUOTE(a view from the hive @ Fri 23rd February 2007, 10:13pm) *

Do you have reliable sources that can verify that he didn't balance 14 Romanian gymnasts on the tip of his nose?

Besides, if the truth looks better, how do you explain my driver's license photo?

Also, I'm concerned about the fact that Everyking seems to be voting to overturn the deletion. I can only assume our lack of positive Ashlee Simpson coverage has turned him against us.
+Quote Post
a view from the hive

QUOTE(Somey @ Fri 23rd February 2007, 9:21pm) *

QUOTE(a view from the hive @ Fri 23rd February 2007, 10:13pm) *

Do you have reliable sources that can verify that he didn't balance 14 Romanian gymnasts on the tip of his nose?

Besides, if the truth looks better, how do you explain my driver's license photo?

Also, I'm concerned about the fact that Everyking seems to be voting to overturn the deletion. I can only assume our lack of positive Ashlee Simpson coverage has turned him against us.

I believe the onus is on you to prove that he did not the contrary. One is innocent until proven guilty (we hope) and I think we can express the same to facts.
+Quote Post
the fieryangel

the Internet Review Corporation is watching you...

Member No.: 577

Regardless of HOW the article was deleted, the fact that it was deleted doesn't really solve the problem. Daniel was slandered by months by Wikipedia and its editors. Just because they're yanking the article doesn't fix any of that.

If I were Daniel, I'd expect a public apology from Jimbo right now. And I'd also expect to receive some sort of settlement for damages.

So, I don't think that this really ends anything. It's just a step in the right direction.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)