FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
User:Chase me ladies, I'm the cavalry -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> User:Chase me ladies, I'm the cavalry, Another member of the military moonlights as an admin and makes a fool
Heat

Tenured

Group: Regulars

User:Chase_me_ladies,_I'm_the_Cavalry is a member of "The Armed Forces of the Crown" (ie the Royal Navy) and a wikipedia admin on OTRS duty. He seems to have cocked this one up by taking at 100% face value an OTRS complaint by professional conspiracy theorist Isreal Shamir that User:RolandR was using Wikipedia to try to get him assassinated. Can you really enforce BLP by libelling an editor?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ulsterman

Group: Inactive

QUOTE(Heat @ Fri 13th August 2010, 6:11pm) *

"The Armed Forces of the Crown" (ie the Royal Navy)

Not necessarily. In the United Kingdom, the armed forces also include the Army and the Royal Air Force. And strictly speaking the armed forces of those other countries that still have the Queen as their head of State are "Armed Forces of the Crown". That of course includes Canada, Australia, New Zealand and a few places in the Caribbean.
+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

Group: Contributors
Member No.: 3,670

And the Falkland Islands.

Let's not forget the Royal Armed Forces of the Falkland islands.
+Quote Post
Heat

Tenured

QUOTE(ulsterman @ Fri 13th August 2010, 9:10pm) *

QUOTE(Heat @ Fri 13th August 2010, 6:11pm) *

"The Armed Forces of the Crown" (ie the Royal Navy)

Not necessarily. In the United Kingdom, the armed forces also include the Army and the Royal Air Force. And strictly speaking the armed forces of those other countries that still have the Queen as their head of State are "Armed Forces of the Crown". That of course includes Canada, Australia, New Zealand and a few places in the Caribbean.

His user page also states: " I am in the Royal Navy."

This post has been edited by Heat:
+Quote Post
tarantino

the Dude abides

QUOTE(Heat @ Fri 13th August 2010, 9:23pm) *

He refers to the Navy elsewhere on his userpage:

(IMG:http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/3/36/UserHawkerTyphoon.JPG/450px-UserHawkerTyphoon.JPG)
Isn't he dreamy?
+Quote Post
SB_Johnny

It wasn't me who made honky-tonk angels

QUOTE(tarantino @ Fri 13th August 2010, 6:42pm) *

(IMG:http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/3/36/UserHawkerTyphoon.JPG/450px-UserHawkerTyphoon.JPG)
Isn't he dreamy?

Ah, the Tommy Hilfinger Royal Navy. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
The Joy

I am a millipede! I am amazing!

Group: Members
Member No.: 982

QUOTE(SB_Johnny @ Fri 13th August 2010, 8:15pm) *

Isn't he dreamy?

Ah, the Tommy Hilfinger Royal Navy. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/biggrin.gif)

Is his pants buttoned? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/blink.gif) (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/hrmph.gif)
+Quote Post
Heat

Tenured

He strikes me as the type who is too immature to handle authority. He reads an OTRS complaint, lacks the capacity or intellectual tools to deal with it critically and instead identifies completely with the complainant. He then exceeds his authority and violates the rights of others and uses his secret and privileged knowledge of the content of the OTRS letter to justify everything. Trust me, I'm an admin, I can't tell you the reasons for my actions except in enough detail as to completely bias the discussion. And, of course, he can't resist lording it over mere editors and trumping up the fact that he's a member of the elect trusted with TOP SECRET and CONFIDENTIAL information.

Another admin, Jayjg, no friend of RolandR has looked at the OTRS complaint. This is his verdict on it:

Well, I think I can say that I've read the OTRS ticket-based accusations raised against you in that thread, and they appear run the gamut from unbelievable to laughable, consisting of the same kinds of non-factual conspiratorial inventions that are often advanced by the subject of the article.

I don't know what User:Chase me ladies, I'm the cavalry does in the military but I certainly hope, for the sake of Her Majesty and all, that he's not in military intelligence since a) he obviously lacks the critical thinking skills needed to assess information and b) he obviously lacks discretion and doesn't know how to handle "confidential" information. He'd rather gossip scandalously in order to let everyone know that he has authoritay (as Cartman in South Park would say) then actually be mature and keep confidential information confidential if, for no other reason, than not to spread gossip and slander.
+Quote Post
Somey

Can't actually moderate (or even post)

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 275

I'm redundantly repeating myself again for the umpteenth time, but this is a classic example of why an opt-out policy would be good for Wikipedia - there's no reason why someone who calls himself something as silly as "Chase Me Ladies, I'm the Cavalry" should be dealing with this, or should even be allowed to deal with this, other than to ask this person, "do you want the article deleted, with no chance of it ever being restored while you're alive"? And if the person says "yes," that's it - clean break, end of discussion. Nobody loses, not really. Instead, we get incidents like this one, which only make Wikipedia look even more stupid than it actually is.

If Shamir says, "no, I don't want the article deleted," then they simply say, "sorry, but in that case your options are to let people smear you, or try to fix the article yourself, or find out who's smearing you and sue them, at least until such time as you can sue the Wikimedia Foundation for hosting the article."

What would Shamir's choice likely be? Does anyone know? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/unsure.gif)

If he's at least partially sane (which does seem arguable), IMO he'd probably want it deleted. From what I gather, the only real purpose for this article is to further demonstrate that there are still people in the world who don't like Jews for reasons that are at best incoherent, and at worst, stupid and hateful - and that some of those people are in positions where they could conceivably influence others, assuming the word "others" means "a bunch of gullible idiots." But the article only makes him look more influential, probably more than he actually is, and certainly more than he deserves to be.
+Quote Post
The Joy

I am a millipede! I am amazing!

Group: Members
Member No.: 982

Mr. Shamir can't even respond on Wikipedia since he was blocked for editing his article. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/angry.gif) (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/hrmph.gif)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Israel_shamir
+Quote Post
Somey

QUOTE(The Joy @ Sat 14th August 2010, 12:03am) *
Mr. Shamir can't even respond on Wikipedia since he was blocked for editing his article. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/angry.gif) (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/hrmph.gif)

Right - I meant "try to fix the article yourself while pretending to be someone other than you," but the phone rang at just that moment...
+Quote Post
Heat

Tenured

It's pretty obvious that User:Kingfisher12 is Israel Shamir (and it's also obvious that the OTRS complainant is Kingfisher12. Rather incredibly, Cavalry says of Kingfisher "For what it's worth, I sincerely don't think it's Shamir." even though the arguments Kingfisher makes in Talk:Israel Shamir are identical to the arguments Shamir himself makes in the OTRS complaint (which Chase me quotes directly before realising he really shouldn't do that)

I don't think I've ever seen such a gullible and credulous admin before. The Royal Navy's standards must be dropping - either that or they value uncritical belief of everything you're told above all else.
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

I have as much free time as a Wikipedia admin!

He looks like Jimmy Fallon in a cheap wig.

Can anyone guess where that photo was taken?
+Quote Post
Basil

Do they really allow naval ratings to sport such a haircut? In my day you would have been sent straight to the barbers and then some. I guess he's really a wannabe.
+Quote Post
Heat

Tenured

QUOTE(Basil @ Sat 14th August 2010, 6:10pm) *

Do they really allow naval ratings to sport such a haircut? In my day you would have been sent straight to the barbers and then some. I guess he's really a wannabe.

Those are definitely naval regulation blue jeans.

Surely, you're not suggesting that a Wikipedia admin, let alone a Wikipedia editor, would fake their bio in a quest for respect, buy a surplus navy shirt and head down to his local dock to get some pics taken in front of a submarine?

Isn't it a violation of military discipline to be half in uniform like that?

His user page has a picture of him sporting shorter hair and (apparently) firing a gun - or at least posing with a gun. Unclear to me if he's wearing proper naval attire.

Could be worse though. At least he's not eating a cheese sandwich.

+Quote Post
Somey

QUOTE(Heat @ Sat 14th August 2010, 1:17pm) *

Particularly if the cheese sandwich was Photoshopped in later on - that would be terrible!

QUOTE(Horsey)

It looks a lot like the HMS Ocelot, an Oberon-class sub that's in drydock in Chatham (and pretty much a museum piece at this point), but I wouldn't swear to it. I might swear at it, though, if it surfaced too close to my rowboat while I was fishing or something.
+Quote Post
Emperor

Postmaster

QUOTE(Somey @ Sat 14th August 2010, 12:31am) *

I'm redundantly repeating myself again for the umpteenth time, but this is a classic example of why an opt-out policy would be good for Wikipedia - there's no reason why someone who calls himself something as silly as "Chase Me Ladies, I'm the Cavalry" should be dealing with this, or should even be allowed to deal with this, other than to ask this person, "do you want the article deleted, with no chance of it ever being restored while you're alive"? And if the person says "yes," that's it - clean break, end of discussion. Nobody loses, not really. Instead, we get incidents like this one, which only make Wikipedia look even more stupid than it actually is.

Encyc has no BLPs. Let Wikipedia deal with that godawful mess.
+Quote Post
Heat

Tenured

QUOTE(Somey @ Sat 14th August 2010, 7:10pm) *

QUOTE(Heat @ Sat 14th August 2010, 1:17pm) *

Particularly if the cheese sandwich was Photoshopped in later on - that would be terrible!

QUOTE(Horsey)

It looks a lot like the HMS Ocelot, an Oberon-class sub that's in drydock in Chatham (and pretty much a museum piece at this point), but I wouldn't swear to it. I might swear at it, though, if it surfaced too close to my rowboat while I was fishing or something.

So is this guy really in the Royal Navy or is he a bike messenger with a Walter Mitty streak?
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

Known alias of J. Random Troll

I still haven't figured out the need to air out his navel, as he's holding up the shirt to do. I guess this really is navel duty. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/happy.gif) Wash out the lint, and let 'er air dry at the docks. Oh. Ah.
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Sat 14th August 2010, 5:26pm) *

I still haven't figured out the need to air out his navel, as he's holding up the shirt to do. I guess this really is navel duty. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/happy.gif) Wash out the lint, and let 'er air dry at the docks. Oh. Ah.

Well, that Panwyn chick found him amusing -- remember they were editing together on a date? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif)
+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Sat 14th August 2010, 3:04pm) *
Well, that Panwyn chick found him amusing -- remember they were editing together on a date? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif)

That's Panyd, silly boy.

I could swear that someone outed Chase Me on WR last year......Ah!
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Sat 14th August 2010, 6:25pm) *

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Sat 14th August 2010, 3:04pm) *

That's Panyd, silly boy.

Panwyn, Panyd, Panovision, Pandemonium...eh, you can't tell these characters apart without a program. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
Somey

QUOTE(Heat @ Sat 14th August 2010, 3:43pm) *
So is this guy really in the Royal Navy or is he a bike messenger with a Walter Mitty streak?

Generally speaking, if a person's claimed backstory is fairly plausible, I like to give him the benefit of the doubt. Some of you might recall that I even wanted to give Essjay the benefit of the doubt at first, after seeing his Wikia-staff user page.

It does seem as though an active-duty submariner would be too busy, uh, submarining to be a Wikipedia admin, but to his credit, he does take signifcant amounts of time-off from WP activities, most recently from July 1 to July 20. The username tends to suggest someone who's trying a bit too hard to be clever, but that's not proof of deception, nor is the fact that he's photographed here in front of an all-but-mothballed submarine in drydock rather than one that's in regular use. (It's possible the HMS Ocelot is still used for training, I suppose.) I'm also reasonably certain that there's no law, even in the UK, against appearing in public wearing only part of one's uniform - though I doubt they encourage it, of course. Still, to me that's actually the biggest question here: Why not the whole uniform? Even on Wikipedia it would be nothing to be ashamed of, and if he's concerned about being identified (though he already has been), you'd think he'd avoid posting any photos of himself whatsoever. And as Mr. Ba - oops, Basil points out, his hair is too long even for the Royal Nay-vee (hey man, it's something other than else!). But hair grows back, and the "partial uniform" thing is probably nothing - maybe he just doesn't think he looks good in it.

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Sat 14th August 2010, 4:26pm) *
I still haven't figured out the need to air out his navel, as he's holding up the shirt to do. I guess this really is navel duty.

It's possible that he's only realizing that his shirt isn't tucked in as he sees the camera is being pointed at him, and he's reaching down to do that, sort of as a reflex or whatever. But if that were the case, you'd think he wouldn't be so fond of the photo that he'd upload it onto Wikipedia and put it on his user page...?

Anyhoo, he does seem to be an odd sort of character, but I'm far from ready to say his backstory is bogus. After all, if it isn't bogus, then to say otherwise might easily be taken as disrespectful to the entire Royal Navy Submarine Command, a fine group of brave and sharp fellows if ever there was one, who are serving their country honorably and (in most cases) quite selflessly.
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

I don't know if England's answer to Captain Crunch is aware of this conversation, but this photo is now on his user page:

(IMG:http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a8/Chaseme.jpg)

I am not certain what he is doing in this photo, but I get the impression (based on his non-military haircut and the blurry presence of the man in the pink shirt and white hat in the background) he is engaged in some sort of a carnival game -- most likely the one where you shoot a water rifle into a plastic clown's mouth and inflate a balloon in an attempt to win a stuffed toy.
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

QUOTE(Somey @ Sun 15th August 2010, 1:35am) *
Anyhoo, he does seem to be an odd sort of character, but I'm far from ready to say his backstory is bogus.

There used to be other photos of him on his MySpace page that showed him clowning around at a pub. I've never seen any photos online where he is actually in a Royal Navy uniform.

As an admin, I always thought that he was something of a dope. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/ermm.gif)
+Quote Post
Skinny87

Neophyte

That is indeed Chatham Dockyard - you can recognize HMS Cavalier in the background, the Second World War British Destroyer Memorial, I used to volunteer there.

Oceolt is in permanent drydock and certainly isn't used for training; it's been a few years, but if memory serves she's been welded to the drydock and wouldn't be able to go out to sea even if she wanted to. As an aside, if anyone ever can get to the Dockyard, it's a great place to explore, if a little pricey. The Ocelot is a tight squeeze to get into, but quite impressive to go around.
+Quote Post
Somey

QUOTE(Skinny87 @ Tue 17th August 2010, 4:27pm) *
The Ocelot is a tight squeeze to get into, but quite impressive to go around.

Thank goodness I'm an admin here, and therefore I would never dream of quoting something like that out-of-context!
+Quote Post
Subtle Bee

melli fera, fera...

Group: Inactive

QUOTE(Somey @ Tue 17th August 2010, 9:54pm) *

Thank goodness I'm an admin here, and therefore I would never dream of quoting something like that out-of-context!

QUOTE(Somey @ Tue 17th August 2010, 9:51pm) *

Also, I'm interested in getting my hands on anything you've been ingesting orally...

Yup. It's a good policy.
+Quote Post
Skinny87

Neophyte

QUOTE(Somey @ Wed 18th August 2010, 5:54am) *

Of course you wouldn't - think of WR's reputation!
+Quote Post
Peter Damian

Bumping this with the recent newsround piece on the BBC, for your interest. Warning: pictures of a Wikipedian's bedsit, not for the faint-hearted.

Wikipedia, the online encyclopaedia, is 10 years old.
Since its launch in 2001, the site has grown from nothing to around 17m articles (3.5m in English).
Its open style, with most articles available to be edited by anyone, has attracted controversy and criticism.
For some, the ability to update and contribute to the site is addictive.
Richard Symonds is one of the UK's top "Wikipedians" and spends up to eight hours a day working on the site.
He is currently unemployed, so is working full-time for free.
That dedication has led to Richard becoming one of only 18 "Arbitrators": high-end users voted onto a committee that decides on the most controversial subjects.
That role can also attract unwanted attention, as he explains.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12181483

See also here http://wikipediareview.com/index.php?s=&sh...ndpost&p=265601

This post has been edited by Peter Damian:
+Quote Post
Peter Damian

QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Sun 16th January 2011, 3:42pm) *

Bumping this with the recent newsround piece on the BBC, for your interest. Warning: pictures of a Wikipedian's bedsit, not for the faint-hearted.

Since its launch in 2001, the site has grown from nothing to around 17m articles (3.5m in English).
Its open style, with most articles available to be edited by anyone, has attracted controversy and criticism.
Richard Symonds is one of the UK's top "Wikipedians" and spends up to eight hours a day working on the site.
That dedication has led to Richard becoming one of only 18 "Arbitrators": high-end users voted onto a committee that decides on the most controversial subjects.

[edit] Oh yes and he is not working 'for free'. Presumably is work on Wikipedia is being funded at the taxpayer's expense, i.e. at my expense. Outrageous. Get a job (and a life).
+Quote Post
Heat

Tenured

QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Sun 16th January 2011, 4:12pm) *

[edit] Oh yes and he is not working 'for free'. Presumably is work on Wikipedia is being funded at the taxpayer's expense, i.e. at my expense. Outrageous. Get a job (and a life).

Hm, he says ArbComm deals with "content disputes".

+Quote Post
Peter Damian

QUOTE(Heat @ Sun 16th January 2011, 4:34pm) *

Indeed, 'very very top end content disputes' [sic].
+Quote Post
Heat

Tenured

QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Sun 16th January 2011, 4:37pm) *

QUOTE(Heat @ Sun 16th January 2011, 4:34pm) *

Indeed, 'very very top end content disputes' [sic].

You'd think in six years trying to get on the ArbComm he would have learned that "ArbComm doesn't deal with content disputes"? Well, this restores my faith in that venerated institution, truly staffed by le creme de la creme.

+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Sun 16th January 2011, 10:42am) *

Uh, so what happened to the Royal Navy? I thought he was out doing the Rule Brittania routine on the choppy waves. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/blink.gif)

And that video on the BBC web site is hilarious. He looks and sounds like the gecko from the GEICO commercials that run on US television. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)

This post has been edited by A Horse With No Name:
+Quote Post
Peter Damian

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Sun 16th January 2011, 6:41pm) *

QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Sun 16th January 2011, 10:42am) *

Uh, so what happened to the Royal Navy? I thought he was out doing the Rule Brittania routine on the choppy waves. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/blink.gif)

And that video on the BBC web site is hilarious. He looks and sounds like the gecko from the GEICO commercials that run on US television. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)

I am in the Royal Naval Reserve, occasionally full-time and occasionally part-time.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Chase_me...27m_the_Cavalry

Occasionally none of the time, I suppose.
+Quote Post
RMHED

Ãœber Member

That whole interview was a real cringe-fest.

Am I the only one who feels embarrassed on his behalf?
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

QUOTE(RMHED @ Sun 16th January 2011, 2:38pm) *

What does Panyd feel? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/evilgrin.gif)

I am in the Royal Naval Reserve, occasionally full-time and occasionally part-time.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Chase_me...27m_the_Cavalry

What a funny snapshot! Message to the Argentine military: you may want to take a second crack at regaining the Falklands! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif)

This post has been edited by A Horse With No Name:
+Quote Post
Guido den Broeder

Where is Horatio Hornblower when you need him? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

QUOTE(RMHED @ Sun 16th January 2011, 11:38am) *

That whole interview was a real cringe-fest.

Don't be---he is, sadly, a typical obsessive and not-very-social WPer.
Incapable of self-examination, thus has no idea that he appears to be a stereotypical dork.
All he needs is some tape on the glasses.

But do bookmark this interview, and use it as a future example/warning for others.

This post has been edited by EricBarbour:
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)