FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Hoaxes on Wikipedia -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> Help

This subforum is for critical evaluation of Wikipedia articles. However, to reduce topic-bloat, please make note of exceptionally poor stubs, lists, and other less attention-worthy material in the Miscellaneous Grab Bag thread. Also, please be aware that agents of the Wikimedia Foundation might use your evaluations to improve the articles in question.

Useful Links: Featured Article CandidatesFeatured Article ReviewArticles for DeletionDeletion Review

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hoaxes on Wikipedia
tarantino

the Dude abides

Group: Regulars

I've recently come across the fictional biography of Sean MacLeod (T-H-L-K-D), presented as fact by Wikipedia for 2 years and 4 months. The article has remained intact, save for a handful of edits by users or bots that fixed typos or tags, or removed images (including edits by a couple of friendly faces that post here, heh ). While it is fairly well written, it is over the top. and no one has ever attempted to verify the 'facts' that are presented.

I've archived it at MWB because it will inevitably be deleted.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Derktar

WR Black Ops

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 2,381

After a failed assassination attempt, Sean's show was cancelled. The success of the show however still won Sean "Best Reality Series" from MTV's award show.

And that bit has been in there almost since the beginning.

I still think the Hindu Pope is my favorite.
+Quote Post
tarantino

the Dude abides

A list of other long-running WP hoaxes can be found at User:Shii/Hoaxes.
+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

Throughout all of this, a dark seed had sprouted inside of Sean, biding its time and slowly draining away at him. Sean found himself no longer laughing at his own jokes, a guideline he had used to tell whether a joke was funny or not. He began lashing out at his diehard fans during autograph sessions and even at his local McDonalds. Finally, Sean cracked.
Knowing that something was wrong he turned to the only source he could think of for help. When that failed, he turned to the mob instead. It was here that he met up with then mob boss, "The Ratchet". Having followed Sean's career with great enthusiasm, T.R. was one of Sean's biggest fans. This boded well for Sean, as soon Sean was playing every nightclub, comedy club, and every other club under the control of T.R.

If this IS fiction, it's extremely pathetic fiction.
Reads like a teenager's composition class assignment.

Give the twit who wrote this an F.

I did searches--comedian Sean MacLeod clearly does not exist in real life....
He appeared on Star Search...at age 3? Ha ha ha.
There's an actor with exactly one TV appearance on his IMDB page, and there's
a cinematographer named Sean MacLeod Phillips. Yes, I tried spelling variations.

And how many other WP articles are outright hoaxes? One fears to ask.
Shii's hoax list is barely a scratch on the surface.

This post has been edited by EricBarbour:
+Quote Post
Sylar

Group: Contributors

It's probably been there for so long because it's shit nobody cares about. For the past several months, it's been getting only one to two page views a day on average, most of them probably search programs.
+Quote Post
tarantino

the Dude abides

Cytaria, created in January, was deleted June 11. It averaged around 1 page view per day.

The text below was taken from Google's cache.

Cytaria (Greek: Συταροιά) is a village situated in the South East of Cyprus within the Famagusta District and specifically in the "Red Villages", or as they are locally known, "Kokkinochoria" (Κοκκινοχώρια). Since the Turkish invasion and occupation of the Republic of Cyprus in 1974, it has increased in size and status, due to the migration of many refugees fleeing from the North. The economy of the village is sustained by carrot exports, ostrich herds and the famous four mini golf courts that were built by the Kyprianou government in the early 1980s, as a result of the post-1974 revitalization policy of the tourist industry. Cytaria is increasingly popular the last years as the hosting place of major concerts of popular international singers and bands.

History

The word Cytaria originates from Hellenistic times. Etymologically, it is made up from the Greek words "syt", which is a Protopelasgian word for carrot, and "ari", which is one of the many later classical Greek words that signify an established group of dwellings. The "oia" (οιά) ending in Greek though is disputed, because of the presence of an "o" (omikron). Some linguists have argued that it is an Eteocyprian word with an undefined meaning yet, possibly linked to a primitive form of Assyrian.

+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

QUOTE(tarantino @ Sat 13th June 2009, 3:47pm) *
Cytaria (Greek: Συταροιά) is a village situated in the South East of Cyprus within the Famagusta District and specifically in the "Red Villages", or as they are locally known, "Kokkinochoria" (Κοκκινοχώρια). Since the Turkish invasion and occupation of the Republic of Cyprus in 1974, it has increased in size and status, due to the migration of many refugees fleeing from the North. The economy of the village is sustained by carrot exports, ostrich herds and the famous four mini golf courts that were built by the Kyprianou government in the early 1980s, as a result of the post-1974 revitalization policy of the tourist industry.

Damn, that's a bizarre mess. But the carrots and ostriches are a dead giveaway....
+Quote Post
RMHED

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(tarantino @ Thu 8th January 2009, 5:38am) *

A list of other long-running WP hoaxes can be found at User:Shii/Hoaxes.

Yet another WikiCrime I'm guilty of, they as yet remain undiscovered, largely because nobody really gives a fuck.
+Quote Post
Herschelkrustofsky

Group: Members
Member No.: 130

QUOTE(Sylar @ Thu 8th January 2009, 9:22pm) *

It's probably been there for so long because it's shit nobody cares about. For the past several months, it's been getting only one to two page views a day on average, most of them probably search programs.
Whereas Little Roger and the Goosebumps (T-H-L-K-D) has gotten a respectable 444 views in May, if I read the graph correctly. Tarantino, please archive this gem before someone spots it.
+Quote Post
tarantino

the Dude abides

QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Tue 16th June 2009, 12:33am) *

Whereas Little Roger and the Goosebumps (T-H-L-K-D) has gotten a respectable 444 views in May, if I read the graph correctly. Tarantino, please archive this gem before someone spots it.

Archived here.

http://www.wikipediareview.com/Wikipedia_Vandali..._the_Goosebumps
+Quote Post
The Joy

I am a millipede! I am amazing!

Member No.: 982

QUOTE(tarantino @ Mon 15th June 2009, 9:30pm) *

Archived here.

I'm just impressed with the fact that Clark was able to wear two hats at same time while also doing music and getting a doctorate!
+Quote Post
Eva Destruction

Fat Cat

QUOTE(tarantino @ Tue 16th June 2009, 2:30am) *

Archived here.

Am I missing something? That's a shitty article but it seems to be true.

+Quote Post
Herschelkrustofsky

QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Tue 16th June 2009, 3:26am) *

QUOTE(tarantino @ Tue 16th June 2009, 2:30am) *

Am I missing something? That's a shitty article but it seems to be true.
Aha! That's because most of it is. But there are certain... embellishments.
+Quote Post
Grep

Group: Contributors

Oh, please don't out the hoaxes too soon. After all, somebody put real time and effort into those, unlike most other articles.
+Quote Post
tarantino

the Dude abides

As mentioned on WP:AN, the two year old unreferenced bio of Kydrivs Lipof is apparently a hoax. His category was also deleted from Commons today.

This post has been edited by tarantino:
+Quote Post
Herschelkrustofsky

QUOTE(Grep @ Wed 17th June 2009, 11:55am) *

Oh, please don't out the hoaxes too soon. After all, somebody put real time and effort into those, unlike most other articles.
Yes. Well, the "Little Roger" article endured unmolested until March 2010.
+Quote Post
tarantino

the Dude abides

The article Himalayan Panda was created on April Fool's Day 2009, and lasted 6 months before being deleted as a blatant hoax.
+Quote Post
Casliber

QUOTE(tarantino @ Mon 26th July 2010, 10:32am) *

The article Himalayan Panda was created on April Fool's Day 2009, and lasted 6 months before being deleted as a blatant hoax.

Until very recently mammal editors were alot less active than bird editors, though the situation has changed. I think it'd be less likely to last now. Usually pretty good on the biology ones....

This post has been edited by Casliber:
+Quote Post
CharlotteWebb

Postmaster General

QUOTE(Casliber @ Tue 27th July 2010, 4:16am) *

Until very recently mammal editors were a|⟷|lot less active than bird editors, though the situation has changed. I think it'd be less likely to last now. Usually pretty good on the biology ones....

Guess I just assumed reptiles were the fastest growing demographic. Wouldn't mind seeing the actual numbers however. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

QUOTE(Casliber @ Mon 26th July 2010, 9:16pm) *
Until very recently mammal editors were alot less active than bird editors, though the situation has changed. I think it'd be less likely to last now. Usually pretty good on the biology ones....

You are pathetic.

Instead of logging in here to post wisecracks, why aren't you doing something about Cirt on your precious "encyclopedia"??
He's generating garbage, and a couple of other admins are helping him....
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)