FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
David Gerard -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> David Gerard, Not that there's anything wrong with that!
tarantino

the Dude abides

Group: Regulars

Whenever I stop by Gerard's user page, I always get sidetracked and start daydreaming about what it would be like to live with a wife and a girlfriend.

Then I start wondering about a married man and his girlfriend both being directors of the same company. I guess there's nothing wrong with that, as long is it is all out in the open.

Is there?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Somey

Can't actually moderate (or even post)

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 275

"Wife" and "girlfriend" are such bourgeious words, though... Dave prefers the much more bohemian term, "concubines."

As for Arkady Rose being a co-director of Wikimedia UK, well... someone has to do it, and as long as she continues to live under the same roof, I figure Dave should be able to keep his unfounded sockpuppetry accusations against her down to a fairly reasonable level.

I'm not saying he will, of course...
+Quote Post
Piperdown

Fat Cat

I just wonder why it's often the ones closest to the Wikipedia Inner Sanctum who are the worst spammers on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=105848595

It doesn't get any spammier than that article, or that link.

Then, there's this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...&oldid=16330496

Kinda reminds me of Baudy's Clown redirect.

What's that saying about stone throwers living in glass houses?

This post has been edited by Piperdown:
+Quote Post
Castle Rock

Member No.: 3,051

QUOTE(tarantino @ Thu 15th November 2007, 6:59pm) *

Whenever I stop by Gerard's user page, I always get sidetracked and start daydreaming about what it would be like to live with a wife and a girlfriend.

Then I start wondering about a married man and his girlfriend both being directors of the same company. I guess there's nothing wrong with that, as long is it is all out in the open.

Is there?

LoL Veesicle just sacrificed his year old account to place An editor has expressed a concern that this user may be a sock puppet of WordBomb. tag on David Gerard's user page. JzG swoops in for the kill saying I have blocked you for abject stupidity. It's kind of hard to imagine what else you would have wanted, given that edit., but Veesicle just laughs and laughs.
+Quote Post
Piperdown

Fat Cat

QUOTE(Castle Rock @ Fri 16th November 2007, 3:17am) *

Is there?

LoL Veesicle just sacrificed his year old account to place An editor has expressed a concern that this user may be a sock puppet of WordBomb. tag on David Gerard's user page. JzG swoops in for the kill saying I have blocked you for abject stupidity. It's kind of hard to imagine what else you would have wanted, given that edit., but Veesicle just laughs and laughs.

Excellent. I'd like to buy Veesicle a virtual pint.

And someone get just some guy a valium.
+Quote Post
WordBomb

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(Castle Rock @ Thu 15th November 2007, 11:17pm) *
The extreme irony of the situation is that I happen to be the editor with the concern. Given that fact, what Veesicle did was 100% accurate. I hereby demand that his account be returned to him.
+Quote Post
Jonny Cache

τα δε μοι παθήματα μαθήματα γέγονε

Group: Contributors

QUOTE(Piperdown @ Thu 15th November 2007, 11:26pm) *

QUOTE(Castle Rock @ Fri 16th November 2007, 3:17am) *

Is there?

Excellent. I'd like to buy Veesicle a virtual pint.

And someone get just some guy a valium.

I was schocked to learn that Wikipedia had a rule about Abject Stupidity, but sure enough, there it is — WP:Abject Stupidity.

But, as I ½-expected, it's not so much a Rule against Abject Stupidity as a Template for promoting it.

Jonny (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/cool.gif)

This post has been edited by Jonny Cache:
+Quote Post
Piperdown

Fat Cat

QUOTE(WordBomb @ Fri 16th November 2007, 3:40am) *

The extreme irony of the situation is that I happen to be the editor with the concern. Given that fact, what Veesicle did was 100% accurate. I hereby demand that his account be returned to him.

I guess one can't take the Wikibible literally, Brother Bomb.

1) Follow the rules
2) Except when you want to IAR
3) Don't sockpuppet abusively
4) Unless you're SlimVirgin or Mantanmoreland or .....[feel free to add more untouchable hypocrites here]
5) always provide sources for your edits
6) Unless you own the joint, then it's Bonzai time, buddy!
7) Don't personally attack anyone on WP
8) Unless it's Daniel Brandt, Judson Bagley, Patrick Byrne, Mark Devlin, Professor Black, Greg Kohs, Jon Awbrey, etc etc.
+Quote Post
WordBomb

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(tarantino @ Thu 15th November 2007, 10:59pm) *

Is there?
I hereby give a gift to some aspiring comedy writer seeking his/her big break: take one look at this image, captured at Gerard's betrothal, and then spend 15 minutes (max) crafting the obvious sitcom pilot episode begging to be released from it:
(IMG:http://www.arkady.org.uk/Wedding/007.jpg)
From left to right: Hanna (Matron of Honour), Liz, David, Arkady (Best Man)

Yes, this one writes itself.

Suggested working titles:
Trauma Club (a play on the obvious fact that they resemble a high school drama club)
Like a Goth to a Flamer
Fairleather Friends
The New Immorality
Bye, Curious!
The Glossy Aussie and his Swinging Posse
I could go on but that would be unfair to the rest of you.

One serious question: how much (in €) did Gerard pay for that Ken Doll-quality hair transplant job?
+Quote Post
Piperdown

Fat Cat

careful, word, they're going to call you "odious" again.

"An editor on Gary's PC, but not Gary, suspects that Wordbomb is a beaneater who goes sans beano" might be your new wiki epitaph if you're not nice.

I'd always wondered what happened to the teenagers I used to go see Rocky Horror with, when I was young enough to be an WP Admin.
+Quote Post
Selina

Cat herder

Group: Staffy

DG has to be the most tasteless goth i've ever seen (not his outfit but friends), ick.
his wife looks like a retarded wale and girlfriend like a wrinkled nazi librarian.

he just looks silly but is still the least scary in the pic which is saying something when you've seen the famous "mime" photo o-o

i know, offtopic, but I just had to comment..
+Quote Post
Jonny Cache

τα δε μοι παθήματα μαθήματα γέγονε

QUOTE(Selina @ Fri 16th November 2007, 5:34am) *

DG has to be the most tasteless goth i've ever seen (not his outfit but friends), ick.

his wife looks like a retarded wale and girlfriend like a wrinkled nazi librarian.

he just looks silly but is still the least scary in the pic which is saying something when you've seen the famous "mime" photo o-o

And we know that you mean all of that in the nicest possible way …

Retarded Wale — ka-zing!

Jonny (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/cool.gif)
+Quote Post
Somey

Can't actually moderate (or even post)

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 275

I'm sure Liz and Arkady are very nice, extremely bright people... who just happen to have questionable taste in men. More importantly, I'd imagine their use of multiple WP accounts is relatively under control at this point.
+Quote Post
Proabivouac

Bane of all wikiland

QUOTE(Selina @ Fri 16th November 2007, 9:34am) *

Give the lady a break, will you, she's ill and can't even leave the house. That may be the reason for the strange social arrangement. We don't know; not our business. I realize you're the site owner, but I'd personally feel better about participating here if we weren't opportunistically lashing out at innocent uninvolved people.

This post has been edited by Proabivouac:
+Quote Post
Selina

Cat herder

site owner has nothing to do with anything dont worry you can say what you want about me i dont care I will just argue right back (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif)

its not really so much opportunism its nothing to do with the fact that they are associated with david gerard, i just saw a picture of scary people so gave my honest opinion, I don't like lying about people to avoid offence

hell dgerard is probably one of the least insane admins there from what i can remember
+Quote Post
tarantino

the Dude abides

QUOTE(Proabivouac @ Fri 16th November 2007, 8:45pm) *

Give the lady a break, will you, she's ill and can't even leave the house. That may be the reason for the strange social arrangement. We don't know; not our business. I realize you're the site owner, but I'd personally feel better about participating here if we weren't opportunistically lashing out at innocent uninvolved people.

I have to agree. The main reason I brought the arrangement up was for comment on the impropriety of 2 out of three directors of Wikimedia UK are also partners in a slightly unorthodox relationship. I see now there is only three directors because 2 very recently resigned citing work pressures.
+Quote Post
tarantino

the Dude abides

QUOTE(Taxwoman @ Fri 16th November 2007, 10:53pm) *

I see now there is only three directors because 2 very recently resigned citing work pressures.

How do I apply for the vacancy? I must be pretty well qualified.

Instructions can be found at wikimedia.org.uk/volunteer.

It's probably a coincidence that Arkady became a director and CFO in August and James Forrester and Andrew Walker resigned in October and September, respectively.
+Quote Post
Robster

"Community"? Really?

QUOTE(Taxwoman @ Fri 16th November 2007, 5:53pm) *

I see now there is only three directors because 2 very recently resigned citing work pressures.

I have no doubt you'd whip them into shape.

(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
The Joy

I am a millipede! I am amazing!

Group: Members
Member No.: 982

QUOTE(Robster @ Fri 16th November 2007, 9:09pm) *

QUOTE(Taxwoman @ Fri 16th November 2007, 5:53pm) *

I have no doubt you'd whip them into shape.

(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/biggrin.gif)

Moderator: Remove above post per WR:BADJOKES. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
the fieryangel

the Internet Review Corporation is watching you...

Member No.: 577

QUOTE(Selina @ Fri 16th November 2007, 10:34am) *

I always assume that it's a good thing that people like this get together and form couples...I mean, that way, they are not making two other people unhappy. The fact that they are a threesome makes it even more people-friendly....
+Quote Post
guy

Postmaster General

Group: Inactive
Member No.: 23

QUOTE(tarantino @ Fri 16th November 2007, 11:40pm) *

Instructions can be found at wikimedia.org.uk/volunteer.

It is expected that all volunteers will have been active editors on one of more Wikimedia projects for at least one year.

I have no doubt that David Gerard would love to get to know Taxwoman, even if another director might not approve. However, will he argue that Taxwoman hasn't edited for the last few months?
+Quote Post
KamrynMatika

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(WordBomb @ Fri 16th November 2007, 3:40am) *

Lol I just checked up on this, and the guy was unblocked by Viridae, then reblocked by JoshuaZ for 24 hours, inspiring a thread on ANI, and then just a little while after the block expired Jpgordon flew by to block him for 'abusive sockpuppetry'. That's a pretty friendly block log

One of the interesting things about these checkuser blocks we see so frequently is that all too often they don't reveal which accounts the socks are assumed to be - "Just trust me! I'm a checkuser!". I wonder how many of these people are actually sockpuppeting, and how many have been taken down by a checkuser who's bored.

This post has been edited by KamrynMatika:
+Quote Post
Poetlister

Poetlister from Venus

QUOTE(KamrynMatika @ Sat 17th November 2007, 5:18pm) *

"Just trust me! I'm a checkuser!"

(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/mad.gif)
+Quote Post
Chris Croy

QUOTE(Selina @ Fri 16th November 2007, 1:34am) *

I always assume that it's a good thing that people like this get together and form couples...I mean, that way, they are not making two other people unhappy. The fact that they are a threesome makes it even more people-friendly....

I'm going to have to dissent; Arkady may not be my definition of perfection, but I certainly wouldn't call her ugly. Your hatred of Wikipedia has, to a very real degree, blinded you.
+Quote Post
the fieryangel

QUOTE(Chris Croy @ Sat 17th November 2007, 8:06pm) *

I'm going to have to dissent; Arkady may not be my definition of perfection, but I certainly wouldn't call her ugly. Your hatred of Wikipedia has, to a very real degree, blinded you.

My comment was not about the general beauty of any of the parties (I personally find them all equally unattractive, but there's no accounting for taste, is there?) but was more towards "those who favor "open" relationships" are better off living together than with those who are not". In any case, threesomes generally end badly, with almost always one point of the triangle ending up being left out of the other two sides.

In this case, I would hope that the two ladies would do the sensible thing and leave him to go live together in peace...

This post has been edited by the fieryangel:
+Quote Post
Disillusioned Lackey

Unregistered

QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Sat 17th November 2007, 1:42pm) *

In this case, I would hope that the two ladies would do the sensible thing and leave him to go live together in peace...

That's the female response. Most men wonder how he did it and either find him a genius or are envious.

Not that it makes sense, mind you, given the man in question, but that's a man's point of view.

I don't like that they criticized the woman's figure. She never did (to my knowledge) anything to deserve that.

This post has been edited by Disillusioned Lackey:
+Quote Post
Selina

Cat herder

QUOTE(Chris Croy @ Sat 17th November 2007, 7:06pm) *

but I don't hate wikipedia, i have never ever said I hate wikipedia o_O I also dont hate david gerard like I said...

read my posts after that, I was just being honest...
+Quote Post
jorge

Postmaster

Group: On Vacation

QUOTE(Disillusioned Lackey @ Sun 18th November 2007, 1:19am) *

That's the female response. Most men wonder how he did it and either find him a genius or are envious.

Umm I believe the reason that David has a girlfriend and a wife are for illness reasons not any super studness on Mr Gerard's part.
+Quote Post
Yehudi

Ãœber Member

Umm I believe the reason that David has a girlfriend and a wife are for illness reasons not any super studness on Mr Gerard\'s part.

Yes, his wife\'s too ill to object, or something.
+Quote Post
Error59

QUOTE(Yehudi @ Sun 18th November 2007, 2:22pm) *

Umm I believe the reason that David has a girlfriend and a wife are for illness reasons not any super studness on Mr Gerard\'s part.

Yes, his wife's too ill to object, or something.

Haaahaaaahahahaha
+Quote Post
the fieryangel

QUOTE(Disillusioned Lackey @ Sun 18th November 2007, 2:19am) *

That's the female response.

Is it really?

That's very interesting.
+Quote Post
Disillusioned Lackey

Unregistered

QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Mon 19th November 2007, 3:20am) *

Is it really?

That's very interesting.

No offense intended. If you think David Gerard is a hottie (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/mellow.gif) , and deserves a throng of subservient females to do his bidding, then okfinewhateveryouwant. (disclaimer:this post was a joke, and in no way was intended to imply insult to your senses or sensibilities or taste in men)
+Quote Post
the fieryangel

QUOTE(Disillusioned Lackey @ Mon 19th November 2007, 10:43am) *

QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Mon 19th November 2007, 3:20am) *

Is it really?

That's very interesting.

No offense intended. If you think David Gerard is a hottie (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/mellow.gif) , and deserves a throng of subservient females to do his bidding, then okfinewhateveryouwant. (disclaimer:this post was a joke, and in no way was intended to imply insult to your senses or sensibilities or taste in men)

What I was saying is that it's interesting that saying that the two women should go off together was the female response and that saying that it's admirable that he should be able to keep two women was the male response.

I'm curious why this would be so (and this is not meant to provoke an argument: I really am curious about such things), especially given Mr. Gerard's own very complex sexual persona in all of this.

I don't really see a sexual aspect in either response. As a matter of fact, I believe that some women (including maybe some women here) might be inclined to take the "Good for him!" approach and some men (including perhaps some men here) who might be opposed to this for moral, personal, or life experience reasons and might have the so-called "feminine" response.

In any case, we'll never know, since nobody can definitely know what sex anyone is here...I've been rather startled myself several times here when it's been made clear by a casual response that the "lady" with whom I supposed that I was speaking was actually a "gentleman" and vice versa....

It seems to me that the main drama-generator here is indeed Mr. Gerald, at least from what I've seen of him. The two ladies might have a much more peaceful co-existence without him....

+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

Member No.: 3,670

If there is a gender bias, it might be that males tend to be marginally more competitive in their relationships, whereas females tend to be marginally more cooperative in theirs.

If the sociology of Bonobos can be taken as a guide, the cooperating females can collectively dominate and confound the competitive males.
+Quote Post
the fieryangel

QUOTE(Moulton @ Mon 19th November 2007, 3:36pm) *

If there is a gender bias, it might be that males tend to be marginally more competitive in their relationships, whereas females tend to be marginally more cooperative in theirs.

If the sociology of Bonobos can be taken as a guide, the cooperating females can collectively dominate and confound the competitive males.

You've got that right! Having seen first-hand what happens when you set up households where one man has several wives (in parts of Africa...and also in Europe when they immigrate), the man very quickly loses the upper hand and ends up spending most of his time outside of the house, which is the only place where he can get a little peace and quiet. So, anybody's who's dreaming about this, you can stop right now. It doesn't work the way you think it does.

Maybe the two ladies actually set this up? Anything is possible
+Quote Post
Disillusioned Lackey

Unregistered

QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Mon 19th November 2007, 8:27am) *

What I was saying is that it's interesting that saying that the two women should go off together was the female response and that saying that it's admirable that he should be able to keep two women was the male response.

Women traditionally cooperate in groups in the context of teams, or groups, better than men (though men get training through sports for this). Men are more individualistic, as a rule. Women's ability to cooperate does not translate to sharing a man. On the contrary. Also, women compete via infighting and vicious psychological means. Men generally just hit and then get over it. That's a simple way of explaining a pretty complex topic.

Multi-wife marriages often have women bossing around the men, sure. Just that the women I've talked to in polygamous cultures seemed less than thrilled with the idea of sharing a husband. It is, in one country I spent time in, difficult to get a nice, pretty, educated woman to agree to be a 2nd wife. One woman (wife of a colleague) found out that her fiancee was already married at her first engagement, and expected her to be wifey no. 2. She ended it the next day, and got married to someone else two years later. Man, she was not happy about that story. Furious actually. This is kind of private, scandalous information, but I was a guest of honor at their wedding, so that's how I heard about it.

Maybe some women think it is fine. I've just never seen it, that's all (excluding people who marry for money, etc. which is another line of discussion). What I'm told is that it is more common practice for poorer women, or the very, very richest of the royals. (Where, incidentally, women have seemingly less power than educated upper middle class women).

All gender generalizations (or any generalizations) can be ripped apart anecdotally. As for alternative genders, etc. None of the gay or bi people I know fit in any box at all, so I dont even go there. Other than to say that jealousy and competition and relationship dynamics don't seem that different (to me) in non-hetero relationships.

+Quote Post
jorge

Postmaster

Group: On Vacation

QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Mon 19th November 2007, 2:40pm) *

Set what up? David Gerard's wife developed a disabling illness after they were married. Therefore she accepted him having a girlfriend.
+Quote Post
Disillusioned Lackey

Unregistered

QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Mon 19th November 2007, 8:40am) *

You've got that right! Having seen first-hand what happens when you set up households where one man has several wives (in parts of Africa...and also in Europe when they immigrate),

I've been told by more than one African mn that he wasn't interested in more than one wife (spontaneously volunteered information), because they grew up with two mothers, and they didn't like how one mother treated the kids that weren't hers, or that it was a constant fight for Dad's attention between the moms. Also that it is very expensive.

the man very quickly loses the upper hand and ends up spending most of his time outside of the house,

I've seen quite a few ME homes where the mom wears a scarf and is quite the household power broker, which belies the stereotype that scarf equals subserviance. On the contrary. Still, no wife of anyone I worked with, or married woman I've worked with, in these countries was in a polygamous marriage. That's my experience. I was told that it was for poor people, and for the Gulf Royals. (more spontaneously volunteered information. I didn't ask).

Relationship are always unique creations, even non-polygamous/polyandrous ones.

+Quote Post
the fieryangel

QUOTE(Disillusioned Lackey @ Mon 19th November 2007, 8:17pm) *

(more spontaneously volunteered information. I didn't ask).

Yes, you seem to get told quite a lot when you visit those kinds of places, including some things that you would never dream of asking. Your story of the woman who found out that she was wife no. 2 after the fact is fascinating. I remember reading a novella by an Algerian writer about a marriage broker who talks a man out of taking a second wife because she knews all of the family secrets. It seems that women in those culture have much more power than it would seem at first glance.

QUOTE(Disillusioned Lackey @ Mon 19th November 2007, 8:17pm) *

Relationship are always unique creations, even non-polygamous/polyandrous ones.

One never can tell how a relationship works unless one is on the inside of it. If it works for them, then more power to them.

If DG's wife allowed him to take on a live-in girlfriend after their marriage because of her illness, surely she had something to say about it? I would hope so, at least.

+Quote Post
Disillusioned Lackey

Unregistered

QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Mon 19th November 2007, 2:51pm) *

It seems that women in those culture have much more power than it would seem at first glance.

That's because in western culture, wearing a scarf is automatically correlated with oppression. While this can be the case, wearing the hijab et al can also connotate religious modesty and conserving view of females to the privacy of the family only. It also can command great respect on the part of the menfolk. Mores for this differ by country to country, even in the ME.

I think the relative 'bossiness' of the woman in the relationship depends on the woman (and relationship) in question.

QUOTE(jorge @ Mon 19th November 2007, 1:17pm) *

Set what up? David Gerard's wife developed a disabling illness after they were married. Therefore she accepted him having a girlfriend.

Then why is the girlfriend in the picture of DG getting married? Not that it matters, but j wondering.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)