FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
SlimVirgin experiments with diurnality -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SlimVirgin experiments with diurnality
WordBomb

Ãœber Member

Group: Regulars

I am one of those who believes that SlimVirgin is actually multiple people. I base that on scatter graphs I've created of her edit times, which demonstrate a total disregard for human sleep/wake cycles.

Back in April, however, that appears to have changed. Dramatically.

Look at this graph (which I would embed in this post but seem not to be able to do so), paying attention to the stark difference between what was seen before and after the middle of April.

I glanced at what was going on at that time, and found that on the 13th and 14th she was asking for clarification of, and tinkering with, policy on checkuser abuse. Here's an example.

I apologize for being a bit out of the loop on this topic, but could Slim's apparent adoption of diurnality (which I actually interpret as the account being used by just one person) be related to this?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

Known alias of J. Random Troll

QUOTE(WordBomb @ Fri 31st October 2008, 4:36pm) *

I am one of those who believes that SlimVirgin is actually multiple people. I base that on scatter graphs I've created of her edit times, which demonstrate a total disregard for human sleep/wake cycles.

Back in April, however, that appears to have changed. Dramatically.

Look at this graph (which I would embed in this post but seem not to be able to do so), paying attention to the stark difference between what was seen before and after the middle of April.

I glanced at what was going on at that time, and found that on the 13th and 14th she was asking for clarification of, and tinkering with, policy on checkuser abuse. Here's an example.

I apologize for being a bit out of the loop on this topic, but could Slim's apparent adoption of diurnality (which I actually interpret as the account being used by just one person) be related to this?

Jimbo doesn't seem to sleep, either. He's either several people (employs a secretary) or else is a vampire.

I've noted the same about Slim. If it's changed, possibly she's kicked somebody else off of her account.

Perhaps somebody far enough away as to edit generally when she sleeps? Like New Zealand or London? Perhaps she let "John Nevard" use her password for admin activies. But "Nevard" has always been diurnal, so if so, it didn't work the other way.
+Quote Post
gomi

Group: Members

Here is the graph mentioned above:
(IMG:http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/7367/svscatter1zg5.jpg)
(IMG:http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/svscatter1zg5.jpg/1/w532.png)

It's still the edit history of someone who doesn't have a day job.
+Quote Post
Pumpkin Muffins

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(gomi @ Fri 31st October 2008, 4:57pm) *

Here is the graph mentioned above:
(IMG:http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/7367/svscatter1zg5.jpg)
(IMG:http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/svscatter1zg5.jpg/1/w532.png)

It's still the edit history of someone who doesn't have a day job.

This is an interesting chart - the first four months show the editor going to sleep about an hour later every night, so her sleep hours smoothly traversed one day per month. This person didn't have a regular job during these months.

I remember doing this as a teenager, but never for more than a week or two. I can't imagine an adult doing it for months on end.
+Quote Post
Somey

Can't actually moderate (or even post)

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 275

QUOTE(WordBomb @ Fri 31st October 2008, 6:36pm) *

Well, my guess would be that it was this comment on her talk page, also on the 13th, that finally provided the breaking point. She didn't respond, of course, but just about any exposure to that guy would be enough to drive most people away from a website.
+Quote Post
dtobias

Obsessive trolling idiot [per JzG]

Member No.: 962

QUOTE(Pumpkin Muffins @ Fri 31st October 2008, 8:24pm) *

This is an interesting chart - the first four months show the editor going to sleep about an hour later every night, so her sleep hours smoothly traversed one day per month. This person didn't have a regular job during these months.

I remember doing this as a teenager, but never for more than a week or two. I can't imagine an adult doing it for months on end.

Obviously, she lives on some other planet, with 25-hour days.
+Quote Post
Somey

QUOTE(dtobias @ Fri 31st October 2008, 9:19pm) *

I dunno, that sounds just a wee bit implausible to me...

My next guess would be that mid-April was the point at which she finally broke down and bought herself a TiVo.
+Quote Post
One

Postmaster General

Group: Contributors

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Fri 31st October 2008, 11:49pm) *

Jimbo doesn't seem to sleep, either. He's either several people (employs a secretary) or else is a vampire.

Or perhaps it's because he's made less than 4000 edits over seven years while trotting the globe. SlimVirgin used to do 4000 edits every couple months, churching out substantial content, and at all times of the day and night.

These two aren't even remotely comparable.

This post has been edited by One:
+Quote Post
everyking

Postmaster

Speaking as someone with fairly erratic sleep cycles, I don't see this as any kind of real evidence that SV is multiple people. Since I am capable of functioning without a particularly consistent sleep cycle even while working a full time job, I have no difficulty imagining that someone who is long-term unemployed could live like that.
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

Known alias of J. Random Troll

QUOTE(dtobias @ Fri 31st October 2008, 7:19pm) *

QUOTE(Pumpkin Muffins @ Fri 31st October 2008, 8:24pm) *

In temporal isolation experiments, they find a lot of people with 25-hour intermal clocks. If I simply went to sleep, when sleepy, without regard to external clues, I might end up doing the same.
+Quote Post
gomi

QUOTE(Somey @ Fri 31st October 2008, 7:42pm) *
My next guess would be that mid-April was the point at which she finally broke down and bought herself a TiVo.

Yes, but True Blood (T-H-L-K-D) is only on one hour per week. How do you account for the rest?
+Quote Post
Son of a Yeti

High altitude member

Member No.: 8,704

That would be Mars ;-)
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn1185...s-on-earth.html

Now, seriously. Experiments with people living in mines and other daylight deprived places showed that our natural clock is 25 h. We only adjust to 24 h days thanks to the daylight. That's why it's easier to adjust to jet lag when traveling west.
http://www.hno.harvard.edu/gazette/1999/07...bioclock24.html

SV was simply living with curtains drawn shut and ordering pizzas by phone while frantically typing on her keyboard. The 25h days is a natural side effect of this lifestyle.

+Quote Post
dtobias

QUOTE(Son of a Yeti @ Sat 1st November 2008, 6:26am) *

That would be Mars ;-)

I thought men were from Mars and women from Venus?

But we all (in America at least) get a 25th hour tonight when we Fall Back from daylight saving time. Other countries may vary.

The world gets an extra second every once in a while due to the slowing of the Earth's rotation, requiring leap seconds to be inserted.
+Quote Post
dtobias

Hey, I think I've got it... Slim is actually Sarah Palin! In this article, Palin claims that "she fears her First Amendment rights may be threatened by 'attacks' from reporters who suggest she is engaging in a negative campaign against Barack Obama." In other words, attacks from her to others are a reasonable exercise of her First Amendment rights, while attacks from others to her are unfair violations of her rights... somebody with this set of opinions would be right at home supporting Wikipedia's BADSITES pseudo-policy, as long as it were enforced on the "right" people.

Anyway, it all fits... Slim signs herself "Sarah", and up in Alaska the day-night cycle may be sufficiently weird in the Arctic Circle region to allow for strange waking patterns.
+Quote Post
Kelly Martin

Bring back the guttersnipes!

Member No.: 6,696

QUOTE(everyking @ Fri 31st October 2008, 10:28pm) *
Speaking as someone with fairly erratic sleep cycles, I don't see this as any kind of real evidence that SV is multiple people. Since I am capable of functioning without a particularly consistent sleep cycle even while working a full time job, I have no difficulty imagining that someone who is long-term unemployed could live like that.
Ditto that. I worked for eight months in a 100% telecommuting job with limited supervision; during that time my sleep cycle rotated around the clock on about a weekly cycle. There's an xkcd on this.
+Quote Post
Herschelkrustofsky

Member No.: 130

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Fri 31st October 2008, 4:49pm) *

Perhaps she let "John Nevard" use her password for admin activies. But "Nevard" has always been diurnal, so if so, it didn't work the other way.
Upon reflection, I no longer believe it possible that Nevard is Slim, or that they share an account. My Exceptionally Well-Honed Psychoanalytic Skillsâ„¢ suggest to me that Slim has too much ego-identification with her capacity for fussily proper and clear syntax, and she would shun any association with the sort of downright incoherence into which Nevard frequently lapses. I accept Piperdown's diagnosis of Nevard as a starf*cker.
+Quote Post
Piperdown

Fat Cat

QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Sat 1st November 2008, 2:50pm) *

I accept Piperdown's diagnosis of Nevard as a starf*cker.

but gary's being johnny b good lately on the NSS & etc. Such impressive neutrality and restraint!
+Quote Post
Somey

QUOTE(gomi @ Sat 1st November 2008, 2:17am) *
Yes, but True Blood (T-H-L-K-D) is only on one hour per week. How do you account for the rest?

Well, I'd have to assume she has NFL Sunday Ticket (T-H-L-K-D), though she would have gotten it before the big 4-month's-free promotion that started in September, I believe. In fact, in April 2008, True Blood hadn't even been announced as an upcoming HBO series, though at least there was no risk at that point of their renewing the dreadful John From Cincinnati (T-H-L-K-D) for a second season.

Besides, at this point she'd have to get one of those really expensive "Ultimate," or all-premium-packages deals, so that she could get Dexter (TV series) (T-H-L-K-D) and Inside the NFL (T-H-L-K-D) on Showtime, and now Crash (2008 TV series) (T-H-L-K-D) on Starz, though I suspect that one probably won't have much staying power...

Also bear in mind that Canada is behind the US in HDTV conversion, some say by almost two years. They've got some serious catching up to do, and in the meantime, more and more Canadians are going to be turning to digital satellite, so that they won't have to wait any longer to see every single individual hair in Brett Favre's nose, in full 1080p detail. Not to mention the stubble, of course.
+Quote Post
Piperdown

Fat Cat

QUOTE(Somey @ Sat 1st November 2008, 5:34pm) *

QUOTE(gomi @ Sat 1st November 2008, 2:17am) *

Well, I'd have to assume she has NFL Sunday Ticket (T-H-L-K-D), though she would have gotten it before the big 4-month's-free promotion that started in September, I believe. In fact, in April 2008, True Blood hadn't even been announced as an upcoming HBO series, though at least there was no risk at that point of their renewing the dreadful John From Cincinnati (T-H-L-K-D) for a second season.

Besides, at this point she'd have to get one of those really expensive "Ultimate," or all-premium-packages deals, so that she could get Dexter (TV series) (T-H-L-K-D) and Inside the NFL (T-H-L-K-D) on Showtime, and now Crash (2008 TV series) (T-H-L-K-D) on Starz, though I suspect that one probably won't have much staying power...

Also bear in mind that Canada is behind the US in HDTV conversion, some say by almost two years. They've got some serious catching up to do, and in the meantime, more and more Canadians are going to be turning to digital satellite, so that they won't have to wait any longer to see every single individual hair in Brett Favre's nose, in full 1080p detail. Not to mention the stubble, of course.

i'm still wondering how and what the purpose was of the weird Jajyg Burst-editing thing after he and slimmy came out from the bunker in fall 2007. And I wonder if the NFL sunday ticket is legally available in slimmy's neck of the vast canadian wasteland? I picture her as more of a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saskatchewan_Roughriders fan anyway.

This post has been edited by Piperdown:
+Quote Post
flash

Group: Contributors

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Sat 1st November 2008, 12:49am) *

QUOTE(WordBomb @ Fri 31st October 2008, 4:36pm) *

I've noted the same about Slim. If it's changed, possibly she's kicked somebody else off of her account.

Perhaps somebody far enough away as to edit generally when she sleeps? Like New Zealand or London? Perhaps she let "John Nevard" use her password for admin activies. But "Nevard" has always been diurnal, so if so, it didn't work the other way.

When I raised exactly this, Somey started a new sub-tar-pit category to prevent it being discussed! (Or so it seems...)

The implication which I think is pretty obvious to everyone except awfully-proud-and-honoured-to-be-part-of-the-team-and-good-luck-to-us WP administrators, is that some of the 'top' Wp adminstrators are not people but 'offices' - they are usernames created to manage the encylopeida idiotica, to 'herd all the cats' as David Goth Gerard put it. He thought the 'cats' were the users, in fact they are the naive WP admins (although-I-personally-do-have-some-jolly-serious-worries-about-some-things) who provide the camoflage for the 24/7 'controllers'...
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)