FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Wikipedians starting responses with "So..." -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> General Discussion? What's that all about?

This subforum is for general discussion of Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects. For a glossary of terms frequently used in such discussions, please refer to Wikipedia:Glossary. For a glossary of musical terms, see here. Other useful links:

Akahele.orgWikipedia-WatchWikitruthWP:ANWikiEN-L/Foundation-L (mailing lists) • Citizendium forums

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Wikipedians starting responses with "So..."
Rating  2
thekohser

Group: Regulars

I want this thread to be a video and audio clearinghouse of any instances of Wikipedians beginning statements or responses to questions with the word "So...". It annoys me.

Sue Gardner, on the Bookshelf Project

Jimmy Wales, on Hayak

Jimmy Wales, on Wikia as "rest of library"
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Lar

"His blandness goes to 11!"

Member No.: 4,290

So... what else annoys you? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/evilgrin.gif) B`
+Quote Post
Zoloft

May we all find solace in our dreams.

Member No.: 16,621

"So I herd you liek Mudkipz..."
+Quote Post
Kevin

Group: Contributors
Member No.: 10,522

So, nothing good on telly tonight in Kohsville?
+Quote Post
Somey

Can't actually moderate (or even post)

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 275

I used to have a pet peeve about people who would say, "that's so {whatever}" without a qualifying complementary clause. IOW, I'd be fine with "that's so funny I forgot to laugh," but it really bugged me when people would only say, "that's so funny." So funny... why? It's a qualifier, people! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/hrmph.gif)

Thankfully, these days I've got a new pet peeve, which I'd better not mention because then everybody will start doing it just to spite me. But it's something I keep hearing in movie and TV dialogue, and it's one of the main reasons why I'm going to cancel my DirecTV account pretty soon and not renew it, like, ever. Until they stop doing it, anyway.

On Wikipedia they use templates to communicate with each other, so what do you expect, right? Standardization of common forms of expression (as opposed to specialized jargon, etc.) is an efficiency measure when your organization gets too large for its own good, but it's also something cults do. In WP's case I wouldn't read too much into it, but it's definitely annoying if you're exposed to it excessively.
+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

QUOTE(Somey @ Tue 13th April 2010, 11:32pm) *
IOW, I'd be fine with "that's so funny I forgot to laugh," but it really bugged me when people would only say, "that's so funny." So funny... why? It's a qualifier, people! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/hrmph.gif)

Fuck that ! Bring on the mudkips!!!!!!!!!!!!

+Quote Post
Lar

"His blandness goes to 11!"

Member No.: 4,290

QUOTE(Somey @ Wed 14th April 2010, 2:32am) *

Thankfully, these days I've got a new pet peeve, which I'd better not mention because then everybody will start doing it just to spite me.

So...(mey)

Tell me what it is! Tell me what it is! Tell me what it is!

I promise not to do it. EVER! And I'm sure I speak for ALL of us on that. Not a troll in the bunch, I guar-un-tee it!
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(Lar @ Wed 14th April 2010, 9:23am) *

QUOTE(Somey @ Wed 14th April 2010, 2:32am) *

Thankfully, these days I've got a new pet peeve, which I'd better not mention because then everybody will start doing it just to spite me.

So...(mey)

Tell me what it is! Tell me what it is! Tell me what it is!

I promise not to do it. EVER! And I'm sure I speak for ALL of us on that. Not a troll in the bunch, I guar-un-tee it!

I'll bet it's one of the following:

"That's besides the point..."

"For all intensive purposes..."

"Hey, can I go with?"
+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

Member No.: 3,670

My favorite pet peeve is when some bureaucracy violates Moulton's Law.
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

τὰ δέ μοι παθήματα μαθήματα γέγονε

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 5,619

So many bees,
So little honey.

Jon (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif)
+Quote Post
victim of censorship

Not all thugs are Wikipediots, but all Wikipediots are thugs.

Member No.: 9,640

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Wed 14th April 2010, 3:24pm) *

So many bees,
So little honey.

Jon (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif)

...so many stingers.
+Quote Post
thekohser

"So, um, what I'm going to talk about today..."
+Quote Post
thekohser

A textbook case from Gina Bianchini.

Five responses... three begin with "So..."

Sixty percent.

This post has been edited by thekohser:
+Quote Post
thekohser

Okay, I think we have enough data points to begin "Hypothesis Time"!

My hypothesis is that these Web 2.0, crowdsourcing gurus spent so much of the period 1996 to 2003 explaining Internet technology to people (friends, spouses, hottest chick at the technology mixer, potential investors, etc.) who really didn't understand how websites, HTML, and Java worked, they developed this nasty habit of launching every explanation with "So...". In much the same way your small child might ask, "Why do we have both paper money and coin money?", you might begin a response "down to her level" with, "So, imagine you wanted to buy a bicycle that cost 75 dollars..."

The "So..." is an equalizer. A signal to the listener that the speaker realizes you are dumber than they are about a subject, but they're going to try to explain things to you in a friendly, layman's sort of way. The "So..." prepares the listener to try to pay attention, because a folksy assessment is about to come their way, and they just might stand a chance of understanding it.

This post has been edited by thekohser:
+Quote Post
thekohser

"Great, thank you. So, democracy..."

09:53
+Quote Post
Subtle Bee

melli fera, fera...

Group: Inactive

QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 19th April 2010, 7:32am) *

The "So..." is an equalizer. A signal to the listener that the speaker realizes you are dumber than they are about a subject, but they're going to try to explain things to you in a friendly, layman's sort of way. The "So..." prepares the listener to try to pay attention, because a folksy assessment is about to come their way, and they just might stand a chance of understanding it.

So what are you saying?

I think that "so" is a signpost for an imminent synthesis, and usually precedes "...what you're/I'm saying is..." or "...in other words...". If you insert "so" into your own train of thought, it means you're about to sum up, or explain another way. If you interject it into another's, it signifies you're about to say what they just said in your own words. or voice the conclusion they were reaching. In practice though, it's usually just a way to interrupt so you can say what you want to say.

See what I did there?
+Quote Post
gomi

Group: Members

QUOTE(thekohser @ Wed 14th April 2010, 6:47am) *

"That's besides the point..."

"For all intensive purposes..."

"Hey, can I go with?"

"That's a mute point."

"These numbers don't jive".

+Quote Post
Milton Roe

Known alias of J. Random Troll

QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 19th April 2010, 7:32am) *

Okay, I think we have enough data points to begin "Hypothesis Time"!

My hypothesis is that these Web 2.0, crowdsourcing gurus spent so much of the period 1996 to 2003 explaining Internet technology to people (friends, spouses, hottest chick at the technology mixer, potential investors, etc.) who really didn't understand how websites, HTML, and Java worked, they developed this nasty habit of launching every explanation with "So...". In much the same way your small child might ask, "Why do we have both paper money and coin money?", you might begin a response "down to her level" with, "So, imagine you wanted to buy a bicycle that cost 75 dollars..."

AND, it means the person hasn't been trained as a trial lawyer. Who tend to say "Now...." when they're pausing stupidly between phrases. And everybody else just says "ahhhhh...."
+Quote Post
CharlotteWebb

Postmaster General

I think it's more an attention foot-hold than anything. People who begin a (verbal) conversation with no warning eventually will tire of having to stop mid-sentence and repeat themselves every time.

Alice: "I heard you li—"
Bob (blurting loudly): "WHAT?" *

So they tend to avoid this by prefacing such a sentence with "Hey, Bob..." but to avoid sounding too stern/pedantic when Bob is the only one present, it's usually just "Hey..." or "[throat-clearing sound]" or indeed "So..." (then pause up to 2–7 seconds awaiting eye-contact).

Then the same conditioned behavior carries over to other forms of communication which are non-personal, non-interactive, and/or non-ambiguous.

* I know from experience this is bloody-fuck annoying.
+Quote Post
Emperor

Postmaster

"Unsustainable"

It sounded cool for about the first five minutes. Now everyone's using it.

Regarding So..., it just shows informality and lack of respect. The speaker can't be bothered to fully wake up and use complete sentences. It's also a good way to interrupt someone if you get tired of waiting for them to stop talking. An exception would be if you're trying to active listen and just summarizing "so... what you're saying is"...
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)