FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Baseball Bugs -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> Help

This forum is for discussing specific Wikipedia editors, editing patterns, and general efforts by those editors to influence or direct content in ways that might not be in keeping with Wikipedia policy. Please source your claims and provide links where appropriate. For a glossary of terms frequently used when discussing Wikipedia and related projects, please refer to Wikipedia:Glossary.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Baseball Bugs
The Wales Hunter

Hackenslasher

Group: Regulars

There's a discussion on ANI (permalink) about whether a user should be banned for referring to Roman Polanski as a child rapist on Jimbo's talk page, per BLP.

There seem to be a lot of Polanski defenders on Wikipedia.

The following post disturbed me the most, though. Apparently, statutory rape against a 13-year-old isn't the same as statutory rape against a child.

Polanksi was convicted of statutory rape, and there is no question whatsoever that he committed that crime. Calling him a "child" rapist, however, is a question of definition, as his victim was 13 years old, not 5 or something. So it's best to stick to what he was convicted of and avoid emotionally-charged terminology. ←Baseball Bugs What's up, Doc? carrots→ 14:50, 16 January 2010 (UTC)

Perhaps it's another example of why Wikipedia is broken - because they generally believe a 13-year-old isn't a child.

This post has been edited by The Wales Hunter:
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Deodand

Group: Contributors

QUOTE(The Wales Hunter @ Sat 16th January 2010, 6:22pm) *

There's a discussion on ANI (permalink) about whether a user should be banned for referring to Roman Polanski as a child rapist on Jimbo's talk page, per BLP.

The following post disturbed me the most, though. Apparently, statutory rape against a 13-year-old isn't the same as statutory rape against a child.

Polanksi was convicted of statutory rape, and there is no question whatsoever that he committed that crime. Calling him a "child" rapist, however, is a question of definition, as his victim was 13 years old, not 5 or something. So it's best to stick to what he was convicted of and avoid emotionally-charged terminology. ←Baseball Bugs What's up, Doc? carrots→ 14:50, 16 January 2010 (UTC)

Perhaps it's another example of why Wikipedia is broken - because they generally believe a 13-year-old isn't a child.

That's because in legal terms, a 13 year old isn't, in most jurisdictions. It's statutory rape rather than "child rape".
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

Known alias of J. Random Troll

QUOTE(Deodand @ Sat 16th January 2010, 11:31am) *

That's because in legal terms, a 13 year old isn't, in most jurisdictions. It's statutory rape rather than "child rape".

Yes, though in Polanski's case, since heavy drugging was involved (not something his victim brought or ordinarily used) it was rape-rape, not "only" statutory-rape.
+Quote Post
John Limey

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Sat 16th January 2010, 6:54pm) *

Yes, though in Polanski's case, since heavy drugging was involved (not something his victim brought or ordinarily used) it was rape-rape, not "only" statutory-rape.

Well in a miscarriage (or victory if you a particular point of view) of justice, he was charged only with statutory rape.
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

QUOTE(Limey @ Sat 16th January 2010, 12:21pm) *

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Sat 16th January 2010, 6:54pm) *

Well in a miscarriage (or victory if you a particular point of view) of justice, he was charged only with statutory rape.

Yes, which the system forgot about at sentencing time, in contravention to prior agreement. Then said, "We can discuss that little matter if you come back and submit to arrest." To which Polanski said "Gee, and you want me to take YOUR WORD on that?"

Basically a pox on everybody involved in this FUBARed case. Perhaps they should just start over and re-try him for the same crime, slate clean. An appeals judge could actually set it all aside and make them do that.
+Quote Post
Somey

Can't actually moderate (or even post)

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 275

The problem in this case, really, is that the person who made the initial post to Jimbo's talk page (as reported to AN/I by Tony Sidaway (T-C-L-K-R-D) ) is the notorious Dream Focus (T-C-L-K-R-D) , who apparently has never met a BLP he didn't want Wikipedia to keep, often for practically no legitimate reason whatsoever other than "there are multiple Google hits."

I personally don't think Jimbo's talk page is anything to get worked up over - I realize that it's one of the most-watched pages on WP, but if search engines aren't indexing it and everybody is signing their entries to make it clear they're just one person's perspective/opinion, relatively little harm is done beyond the usual potential for rumor-mongering (which could start almost anywhere on the internet).

Meanwhile, Mr. Sidaway could be looking for cases of unchecked BLP defamation to less-than-famous people and fix them, but of course that would generate waaay less drama, so that idea's a non-starter.
+Quote Post
Krimpet

Member No.: 1,975

QUOTE(Deodand @ Sat 16th January 2010, 1:31pm) *

According to the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child:
QUOTE(UN Convention on the Rights of the Child)
For the purposes of the present Convention, a child means every human being below the age of eighteen years unless under the law applicable to the child, majority is attained earlier.
The age of majority in most of the US, including California where the rape took place, is 18; ergo, it's perfectly reasonable to say the victim was a child.

This post has been edited by Krimpet:
+Quote Post
The Wales Hunter

Hackenslasher

I take the point I may have been wrong, but how about this.

Calling Roman Polanski a child-rapist - does it do him any real world damage? Could he win libel action? I doubt it.

Yet the editors who care so much about this seem happy when others are libelled and damaged. Shame some of the thousands of people with inaccurate BLPs on Wikipedia haven't made a few half decent films, if they had they might have an army to look after their pages!
+Quote Post
RMHED

Ãœber Member

Baseball Bugs is a frequent turd in the AN/I swimming pool. Though to be fair he's no worse than many others.
+Quote Post
SB_Johnny

It wasn't me who made honky-tonk angels

QUOTE(Somey @ Sat 16th January 2010, 2:44pm) *
Meanwhile, Mr. Sidaway could be looking for cases of unchecked BLP defamation to less-than-famous people and fix them, but of course that would generate waaay less drama, so that idea's a non-starter.
Well, to be fair, if he's a "true believer" (I wouldn't know him from Adam), then going whole hog on making the high profile BLPs would be important.

Keeping an eye on the low profile ones would require a lot of work from a lot of responsible-type folks. Those are in short supply.

QUOTE(RMHED @ Sat 16th January 2010, 6:15pm) *
Baseball Bugs is a frequent turd in the AN/I swimming pool. Though to be fair he's no worse than many others.
He's amusingly witty though.

Credit where credit's due.
+Quote Post
BelovedFox

Getting out of the muck that is the whole Roman Polanski story, and referring to the topic at hand:

It does appear that Baseball Bugs is evidence that a) too much humor is a bad thing (or perhaps the inability to take the right things seriously?) and b) spending too much time on administrator's noticeboards does lead to rather reflexive and unhelpful behavior (or he was just drawn to it, and hasn't changed a bit.)

On the plus side, I think most users have realized that he would be a very poor administrator because of that. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Req...p/Baseball_Bugs
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

I have as much free time as a Wikipedia admin!

QUOTE(RMHED @ Sat 16th January 2010, 6:15pm) *

BB tends to be a little funnier than most of the AN/I addicts, and for some time he was a wonderful irritant who brought out the worst in Tanthalas39. But outside of snide wisecracks, he offers relatively little of value to Wikipedia.

+Quote Post
Deodand

BB on ANI sort of reminds me of a local politician I deal with. Whatever the situation, regardless of whether it's out of his area of knowledge, he feels the need to comment on every single damn thing, even if those comments are useless and add nothing of value to the conversation.
+Quote Post
CharlotteWebb

Postmaster General

His edits to AN/I number 4,976 and counting.

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Sun 17th January 2010, 3:27am) *

BB tends to be a little funnier than most of the AN/I addicts, and for some time he was a wonderful irritant who brought out the worst in Tanthalas39. But outside of snide wisecracks, he offers relatively little of value to Wikipedia.

For a while there I thought you were him, actually. Who else gives a fuck about Tanthalas39 (who?).
+Quote Post
TungstenCarbide

Allegedly shot down by stray Ukrainian missile

BaseballBugs came and baited me once on my talk page. I kinda feel sorry for him though - I suspect he gets all his social interaction from wikidrama.
+Quote Post
victim of censorship

Not all thugs are Wikipediots, but all Wikipediots are thugs.

Member No.: 9,640

QUOTE(TungstenCarbide @ Sun 17th January 2010, 7:30pm) *

BaseballBugs came and baited me once on my talk page. I kinda feel sorry for him though - I suspect he gets all his social interaction from wikidrama.

I think you right, which if that's the case, would be very sad indeed! Another misfit with the power of wiki to hurt others.
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

QUOTE(CharlotteWebb @ Sun 17th January 2010, 8:06am) *

For a while there I thought you were him, actually. Who else gives a fuck about Tanthalas39 (who?).

Mrs. Tanthalas39? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/ermm.gif)
+Quote Post
Somey

QUOTE(CharlotteWebb @ Sun 17th January 2010, 7:06am) *

Is that an all-time record or something? That seems like an awfully high number, especially for a non-administrator.

Who else gives a fuck about Tanthalas39 (who?).

Well, it's common knowledge that Tanthalas39 is the only Wikipedia user I really care about, ever since he helped me deal with that terrifying emotional meltdown I had back in 2008, when I heard that In Harm's Way was cancelled.
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

QUOTE(Somey @ Sun 17th January 2010, 5:17pm) *

Well, it's common knowledge that Tanthalas39 is the only Wikipedia user I really care about, ever since he helped me deal with that terrifying emotional meltdown I had back in 2008, when I heard that In Harm's Way was cancelled.

I had an encounter with Tanthalus39 way back when he was just a user. My impression was that he was as nakedly ambitious and dickheaded a user as I'd ever seen. Clearly a martinet in embryo, and headed upward. I made up my mind to watch him and oppose his RfA, when it inevitably happened. Then, of course, I missed it. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/huh.gif)

But my fears seem to have been confirmed.
+Quote Post
Malleus

Fat Cat

Member No.: 8,716

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Mon 18th January 2010, 1:15am) *

I had an encounter with Tanthalus39 way back when he was just a user. My impression was that he was as nakedly ambitious and dickheaded a user as I'd ever seen. Clearly a martinet in embryo, and headed upward. I made up my mind to watch him and oppose his RfA, when it inevitably happened. Then, of course, I missed it. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/huh.gif)

He's no worse than loads of other administrators.
+Quote Post
The Joy

I am a millipede! I am amazing!

Group: Members
Member No.: 982

QUOTE(Malleus @ Sun 17th January 2010, 8:45pm) *

You seem to say that a lot about every Wikipedian. Who is the worst Wikipedian in your view?
+Quote Post
Malleus

Fat Cat

Member No.: 8,716

QUOTE(The Joy @ Mon 18th January 2010, 2:54am) *

You seem to say that a lot about every Wikipedian. Who is the worst Wikipedian in your view?

You don't seem to be able to read. I was talking about administrators, not wikipedians.
+Quote Post
victim of censorship

QUOTE(Malleus @ Mon 18th January 2010, 4:19am) *

You don't seem to be able to read. I was talking about administrators, not wikipedians.

Raul654 (T-C-L-K-R-D) Gamaliel (T-C-L-K-R-D) Jimbo_Wales (T-C-L-K-R-D)

Mod note: Corrected link. -The Joy
+Quote Post
The Joy

I am a millipede! I am amazing!

Member No.: 982

QUOTE(Malleus @ Sun 17th January 2010, 11:19pm) *

Baseball Bugs is not an administrator. That's why I got confused. I seem to be trapped in WR's No Man's Land these past few days. Yeesh! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/confused.gif)

At least we can both agree BB should not be an administrator (right?). I find anyone that keeps on AN is A-) Looking for drama, and/or B-) Trying to make his/her self important for their impending RFA.
+Quote Post
Deodand

QUOTE(The Joy @ Mon 18th January 2010, 5:11am) *

Baseball Bugs is not an administrator. That's why I got confused. I seem to be trapped in WR's No Man's Land these past few days. Yeesh! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/confused.gif)

At least we can both agree BB should not be an administrator (right?). I find anyone that keeps on AN is A-) Looking for drama, and/or B-) Trying to make his/her self important for their impending RFA.

You forgot C - about to get blocked, but then they hang around ANI for very different reasons (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif)
+Quote Post
Trick cyclist

Fortunately Denmark palmed Norway off to Sweden in 1814

Group: Inactive

QUOTE(Somey @ Mon 18th January 2010, 12:17am) *

Well, it's common knowledge that Tanthalas39 is the only Wikipedia user I really care about

Somey! How can you do this to me! You might at least have told me we were breaking up before announcing it to the world! My heart is dashed.
(IMG:http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/70/Broken_Heart_symbol.svg/200px-Broken_Heart_symbol.svg.png)
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

Just louder and coarser.

As for Mr. Bugs, in real life he is an adult employed at Northrop Grumman (he once signed in as an IP by error and that factoid popped up).

QUOTE(Trick cyclist @ Mon 18th January 2010, 8:34am) *

Well, it's common knowledge that Tanthalas39 is the only Wikipedia user I really care about

Somey! How can you do this to me! You might at least have told me we were breaking up before announcing it to the world! My heart is dashed.
(IMG:http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/70/Broken_Heart_symbol.svg/200px-Broken_Heart_symbol.svg.png)

You know that line from "The Fantasticks" -- without the hurt, the heart is hollow. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
victim of censorship

QUOTE(The Joy @ Mon 18th January 2010, 5:11am) *

BB acts like one with the enabling of other admins...

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Mon 18th January 2010, 2:04pm) *

Just louder and coarser.

As for Mr. Bugs, in real life he is an adult employed at Northrop Grumman (he once signed in as an IP by error and that factoid popped up).

QUOTE(Trick cyclist @ Mon 18th January 2010, 8:34am) *

BBugs is still a punk

You know that line from "The Fantasticks" -- without the hurt, the heart is hollow. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/rolleyes.gif)

+Quote Post
Tarc

Fat Cat

The problem in this case, really, is that the person who made the initial post to Jimbo's talk page (as reported to AN/I by Tony Sidaway (T-C-L-K-R-D) ) is the notorious Dream Focus (T-C-L-K-R-D) , who apparently has never met a BLP he didn't want Wikipedia to keep, often for practically no legitimate reason whatsoever other than "there are multiple Google hits."

Ugh. Apart from a BLP issue, Dream Focus is also one of those twits who has argued vociferously to keep every CountryX-CountryY relations article. Because, y'know, there's such a rich history between Estonia and Luxembourg (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/rolleyes.gif)

+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

QUOTE(Tarc @ Mon 18th January 2010, 10:32am) *

Ugh. Apart from a BLP issue, Dream Focus is also one of those twits who has argued vociferously to keep every CountryX-CountryY relations article. Because, y'know, there's such a rich history between Estonia and Luxembourg (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/rolleyes.gif)

Egad, I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE those zany articles! For some time, they were all over AfD! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
Deodand

A Horse, do you really think you're the person to criticise somebody who posts irrelevant, desperately-trying-to-be-funny comments all over the wiki and wants to be an admin? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif)
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

QUOTE(Deodand @ Mon 18th January 2010, 1:12pm) *

A Horse, do you really think you're the person to criticise somebody who posts irrelevant, desperately-trying-to-be-funny comments all over the wiki and wants to be an admin? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif)

Uh, yes. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/rolleyes.gif)

Besides, I am not being critical of BB. I acknowledge that he is a little funnier than most of the Wiki characters. And I did appreciate his Tan baiting.

By the way, Deodand, who are you on Wikipedia?
+Quote Post
CharlotteWebb

Postmaster General

Is that an all-time record or something? That seems like an awfully high number, especially for a non-administrator.

Yes. The tool featured in above url lists all editors of a given page, sortable in several ways (most usefully by number of edits, which is the default).

He passed JzG some ten months ago, during or shortly after his RFA, at which time they both would have had roughly 2,950 AN/I edits.

JzG has only 112 AN/I edits since that point, while Baseball Bugs has over 2,000.
+Quote Post
Apathetic

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(CharlotteWebb @ Mon 18th January 2010, 2:03pm) *

Yes. The tool featured in above url lists all editors of a given page, sortable in several ways (most usefully by number of edits, which is the default).

He passed JzG some ten months ago, during or shortly after his RFA, at which time they both would have had roughly 2,950 AN/I edits.

JzG has only 112 AN/I edits since that point, while Baseball Bugs has over 2,000.

I tried unsuccessfully (scroll up - HTML parser not recognizing period) to shy Baseball Bugs away from the page where he holds handily the number 1 contributor spot (even above the archiving bot). I also wrote an essay entitled WP:RUBBERNECKING on the subject...

This post has been edited by Apathetic:
+Quote Post
SB_Johnny

It wasn't me who made honky-tonk angels

QUOTE(Apathetic @ Mon 18th January 2010, 2:16pm) *
I tried unsuccessfully to shy Baseball Bugs away from the page where he holds handily the number 1 contributor spot (even above the archiving bot). I also wrote an essay entitled WP:RUBBERNECKING on the subject...

If somebody's going to be making lists, it should be for people who out-edit the bots on drama pages.

And while you're at it, please bring the bodies a bit closer. Hard to see out of the passenger window! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
CharlotteWebb

Postmaster General

QUOTE(SB_Johnny @ Mon 18th January 2010, 7:21pm) *

If somebody's going to be making lists, it should be for people who out-edit the bots on drama pages.

Well the bot typically edits AN/I only three times a day, at even 8-hour intervals (though it might go into some kind of "angry mode" and archive more frequently upon noticing that the page is fucking huge).

However since 2009-03-13, the Friday (!) on which his RFA closed, this fool has edited AN/I at the rate of about 7.8 per day on 261 different days.

While this excludes the 11 days he was completely inactive and the 39 days he confined himself to other pages, it still can't be healthy.
+Quote Post
gomi

[Moderator's note: Somey deleted silly speculation accusing people of being others, threatening to derail the topic. The same names were reposted, and I removed them. Stop it, or the thread will be closed. Edit: Off-topic posts now moved to the tar pit.]
+Quote Post
RMHED

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(gomi @ Mon 18th January 2010, 10:44pm) *

[Moderator's note: Somey deleted silly speculation accusing people of being others, threatening to derail the topic. The same names were reposted, and I removed them. Stop it, or the thread will be closed. Edit: Off-topic posts now moved to the tar pit.]

Well I for one am glad that all those posts saying Somey is really [name redacted] were deleted, it's exactly that sort of nonsense we just don't need.

Oh shit...

This post has been edited by Somey:
+Quote Post
Tarc

Fat Cat

QUOTE(Apathetic @ Mon 18th January 2010, 2:16pm) *

QUOTE(CharlotteWebb @ Mon 18th January 2010, 2:03pm) *

I tried unsuccessfully (scroll up - HTML parser not recognizing period) to shy Baseball Bugs away from the page where he holds handily the number 1 contributor spot (even above the archiving bot). I also wrote an essay entitled WP:RUBBERNECKING on the subject...

Eh, Bugs just likes to meddle in policy like ChildofMidnight does, but without CoM's unbridled assholishness. He's mostly harmless.

This post has been edited by Tarc:
+Quote Post
Somey

QUOTE(Tarc @ Mon 18th January 2010, 10:45pm) *
Eh, Bugs just likes to meddle in policy like ChildofMidnight does, but without CoM's unbridled assholishness. He's mostly harmless.

Well, I suppose he can technically be considered "harmless" while still pursuing psychologically unhealthy obsessions. That is, until he has to be made a ward of the state, at which point his upkeep could end up costing the taxpayers tens of thousands of dollars per year. With that level of near-constant exposure to ANI, I'd say he's got about 18 months to go before that happens - but that's only because it'll probably take about 17 months for the authorities to find him! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/hmmm.gif)

The talk page discussion posted by Mr. Apathetic (Xeno) above is actually quite illuminating if you read the whole thing - Mr. Bugs looks like a fairly clear case of "Defender of the Wiki" syndrome, with almost no self-awareness or circumspection regarding his WP activities at all.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)