The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OrangeMarlin speaks his mind, (and then possibly dies)
Milton Roe
post Sat 9th July 2011, 6:51pm
Post #21

Known alias of J. Random Troll

Group: Regulars
Member No.: 5,156

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(melloden @ Sat 9th July 2011, 6:58am) *

QUOTE(Wikifan @ Sat 9th July 2011, 12:43pm) *

Hey Roe you sensitive little bitch this is the third fucking time you removed my comment. What gives? Sol even recognized my statements.

Talking shit about Jews is honky dory but calling you on it is a no-no? Abd's walls of text, Nableezy's crying Arab nationalist rhetoric and OM's angry personal attacks is FINE.

But accusing you of bigotry must be SILENCED?! Are you not the same editor that constantly accuses "Jews" of silencing their critics through similar measures?

What fucking gives. Stop deleting my posts, assholes.

Now, now, we all know that life isn't fair and that whining won't solve anything. Maybe the problem is ... somewhere else?

I have no ability to remove anybody's comments, as I'm not a moderator. Some mod must have moved, tarpitted, or erased it. Along with my own reply to it, it appears. hmmm.gif Well it was off-topic.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Milton Roe
post Sat 9th July 2011, 7:15pm
Post #22

Known alias of J. Random Troll

Group: Regulars
Member No.: 5,156

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(Sololol @ Fri 8th July 2011, 7:23pm) *

Tsk, tsk, Milton. To my great horror I must join with Wikifan in reprimanding you. Not because I get a self-righteous kick out of all calling people bigots but because that's only one interpretation of halacha which sucks all the fun right out of it. It depends on which rabbi you ask. Are we talking about the Ashkenazic, Sephardic or Mizrachi tradition? Haredi? Modern Orthodox? Some rabbis maintain that it's forbidden to employ anyone at all on the sabbath as even animals are supposed to be resting and treating non-Jews worse than animals wouldn't be very sporting. Others say it's allowed only if it's not specified when the work must take place, or if you are paying by the job and not hourly, or if the (non)-employee benefits from the work but you don't. Some liberal rabbis might allow an apostate/secular Jew to serve as a shabbos goy. I find all of it terribly fascinating as these kinds of debates have raged for centuries. But yes, sticking to the pre-modern definitions that draw no line between ethnic origin and religion (look at the Samaritans! want to join? too bad, no outsiders allowed), and there are many interpretations that say someone born to a Jewish woman is a Jew and thats that, conflicts with the modern notion that assigning indelible traits to people based on origin is a really bad idea. You are generally correct that a number of Orthodox interpretations run counter to the traditional Western view which makes a lot of Jews uncomfortable. Hence why Reform doesn't.

I did say "orthodox," did I not? Is there something about the word you don't understand? It doesn't mean reform, progressive, liberal, secular or whatever. These other people don't need shabbos goys anyway. Yes, there are different orthodox traditions which you can even tell apart in public by which kind of 19th century boots they wear or some other stupid thing, but that has no bearing on what I said. In any case I did not accuse the Jews-in-general of preserving their gefilte fish with salt vs. sugar. I said what I said about orthodox Jews holding what we would otherwise call racist opinions about hiring practices, though no doubt the courts would find being a non-Jew a BFOQ for a shabbos/shabbat goy, so it's legal.

Yes, yes, I've seen your "13 million Jews, 19.5 million opinions" argument. Including opinions as to how many Jews and Jewish opinions there ARE. How dare I criticize Jewish opinion when it's impossible to figure out what the "Jewish opinion" is? However, I see you're pretty sure that any attempt to criticize a Jewish opinion of any sort, by a non-Jew, is antisemitic. Whereas Jews criticizing Jews for some aspect of Jewishness, get a free pass on that. Usually. Sometimes, Jews do call each othe self-hating or even antisemitic, so even Jews getting a free pass on criticizing other Jews without being called racist or bigotted, is not true 100% of the time (!). What does remain true I think always, is that it has about as much power as black people calling each other "nigger." Nobody pays the slightest attention, unless said by the wrong person. That has a rather chilling or muzzling effect, and is (frankly) intended to.
QUOTE(Sololol @ Fri 8th July 2011, 7:23pm) *

But I guess it's just easier to call people dicks if they criticize a practice of a group you feel some connection to instead of trying to have a civilized conversation about why you think it was improper. Especially if that seems to be your only purpose on the Internet. yak.gif
Derail over.

Bullshit. I have 9,866 posts on this forum, and that doesn't even count lounge posts. If you'd like to take a statistically valid sample of them (like 2000) and see with a decent standard deviation of accuracy what fraction even mention the word "Jew," I'd be quite interested. Go ahead and prove what you just said. No? Then go screw yourself. My record is here for all to see. As are your own blinders.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd 11 17, 8:32pm