FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Democracy And Inquiry -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Democracy And Inquiry, And Da Mockrazy Of WP
Rating  3
Jonny Cache

τα δε μοι παθήματα μαθήματα γέγονε

Group: Contributors

The title names a theme that I've been worrying over for the last 20 years or so — just that I can recall — and the subtitle is a SOP to the local Cerberus that will hopefully allow us to integrate several skeins of thought that have been ravelling their merry ways in and out of knitwork basket and garbage pail for the last year or so in this Forum.

And orange you glad this ain't Wikiputia,
where we woodent bee aloud to sinthesize !?

Hang on, I have to go look up some references …

Jon Awbrey

This post has been edited by Jonny Cache:
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jonny Cache

Dymanic [Sic] Page —

Brain a liitle scattered right now, and the Trick-Or-Treaters (TOT's) will be knocking down our door anon — there's a joke there somewhere about anonymous tots in φunny costumes, but no time for WikiPuns now — so I'll need to use this page as a sorting shelf for tracking down the references that I have in mind, starting with whatever I can find right off and working my way.bak to the primary sources.

Jon Awbrey

Awbrey, S.M., and Awbrey, J.L. (May 2001), "Conceptual Barriers to Creating Integrative Universities", Organization : The Interdisciplinary Journal of Organization, Theory, and Society 8(2), Sage Publications, London, UK, pp. 269–284. Abstract.

Awbrey, S.M., and Awbrey, J.L. (September 1999), "Organizations of Learning or Learning Organizations : The Challenge of Creating Integrative Universities for the Next Century", Second International Conference of the Journal 'Organization', Re-Organizing Knowledge, Trans-Forming Institutions : Knowing, Knowledge, and the University in the 21st Century, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA. Eprint.

Awbrey, J.L., and Awbrey, S.M. (Autumn 1995), "Interpretation as Action : The Risk of Inquiry", Inquiry : Critical Thinking Across the Disciplines 15(1), pp. 40–52. Eprint.

Awbrey, S.M., and Scott, D.K., {various papers to sort out later}

Awbrey, S.M., and Scott, D.K., "Educating Critical Thinkers for a Democratic Society", Eprint.

+Quote Post
Jonny Cache

Eureka! Here is one of the quotes I was looking for —

QUOTE(Awbrey, S.M., and Scott, D.K. @ Aug 1993)

The importance of preparing individuals for their role as citizens in a democratic society is well documented. However, the reverse assertion is less broadly understood. That is, a democratic environment, in which dialogue and critical thinking are prized, is not only facilitative of but vital to the full development of intelligence. Philosopher Hilary Putnam (1992) refers to what he calls the epistemological justification of democracy which he attributes to John Dewey, "The claim, then, is this: Democracy is not just one form of social life among other workable forms of social life; it is the precondition for the full application of intelligence to the solution of social problems" (p. 180)¹.

¹ Putnam, H. (1992), Renewing Philosophy, Harvard University Press, Cambridge, MA.

Source. Awbrey, S.M., and Scott, D.K. (August 1993), "Educating Critical Thinkers for a Democratic Society", presented at 'Critical Thinking : The Reform of Education and the New Global Economic Realities', Thirteenth Annual International Conference of The Center for Critical Thinking, Rohnert, CA. Archived, ERIC Document ED4703251. Eprint.

Jon Awbrey

+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

Member No.: 3,670

QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Thu 1st November 2007, 10:22am) *
Philosopher Hilary Putnam (1992) refers to what he calls the epistemological justification of democracy which he attributes to John Dewey, "The claim, then, is this: Democracy is not just one form of social life among other workable forms of social life; it is the precondition for the full application of intelligence to the solution of social problems."

What do Putnam or Dewey say about the relationship between Majority Rule vs Consensus Building in regards to the solution of vexing social problems? It occurs to me that the paradoxes of Condorcet and Arrow reveal the necessity for deeper thinking about solving the problem of devising a satisfactory socio-political choice among competing alternatives.
+Quote Post
Jonny Cache

QUOTE(Moulton @ Thu 1st November 2007, 10:49am) *

QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Thu 1st November 2007, 10:22am) *

QUOTE(Susan Awbrey and David Scott @ Aug 1993)

Philosopher Hilary Putnam (1992) refers to what he calls the epistemological justification of democracy which he attributes to John Dewey, "The claim, then, is this: Democracy is not just one form of social life among other workable forms of social life; it is the precondition for the full application of intelligence to the solution of social problems.

What do Putnam or Dewey say about the relationship between Majority Rule vs Consensus Building in regards to the solution of vexing social problems? It occurs to me that the paradoxes of Condorcet and Arrow reveal the necessity for deeper thinking about solving the problem of devising a satisfactory socio-political choice among competing alternatives.

From my pers-pective, Peirce is the sun whose light Dewey and Putnam but reflect, as in a glass, or a moon.

This is actually the very issue that dragged me willy, but mostly nilly into Wikipedia, on account of the fact that Peirce articulated a very careful, detailed, and subtle Social Theory Of Inquiry (STOI) that is commonly dis-articulated as a Consensus Theory Of Truth (CTOT). To be succinct, STOI ≠ CTOT, far φreakin from it!

I remember that it was various folks on the Peirce List griping about the abject ignorance of Wikipedia articles on Peirce matters — and the recalcitrant ignorance of particular editors who refused to budge when anyone who knew better tried to correct them — that brought me some of my earliest words of Wikipedia's existence. But I didn't bother looking to see what all the fuss was about until the selfsame nonsense began to litter the shores of my Google searches.

But I will have to break for more coffee and look up a few links …

Jonny (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/cool.gif)

+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

I wonder if Awbrey is to Peirce as Kripke is to Wittgenstein.

It's probably easier to adapt the thinking of a favorite philosopher to one's own interpretation than to faithfully portray that philosopher's view without introducing an idiosyncratic distortion.

There may or may not be a consensus model for the Scientific Method (or a consensus approach to the practice of Epistemology), but it occurs to me that even if we are less than notable amateurs at the Game of Inquiry and Discovery Learning, there are some reliable markers along the way that help us decide which competing model among many better explains and predicts the observations at hand.
+Quote Post
Jonny Cache

QUOTE(Moulton @ Thu 1st November 2007, 11:47am) *

I wonder if Awbrey is to Peirce as Kripke is to Wittgenstein.

It's probably easier to adapt the thinking of a favorite philosopher to one's own interpretation than to faithfully portray that philosopher's view without introducing an idiosyncratic distortion.

There may or may not be a consensus model for the Scientific Method (or a consensus approach to the practice of Epistemology), but it occurs to me that even if we are less than notable amateurs at the Game of Inquiry and Discovery Learning, there are some reliable markers along the way that help us decide which competing model among many better explains and predicts the observations at hand.

Briefly —
  1. ¬4me2say.
  2. True ∀ Hermenauts.
  3. Here, I think you are using a different meaning for CTOT than what I was talking about. I meant CTOT = consensus gentium.

+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

Currently, I'm ruminating about the tension between a Consensus Theory of Triumph vs a Contentious Theory of Tragedy.
+Quote Post
Jonny Cache

QUOTE(Moulton @ Thu 1st November 2007, 12:07pm) *

Currently, I'm ruminating about the tension between a Consensus Theory of Triumph vs a Contentious Theory of Tragedy.

BADHACHE !!! Jonny Crache!!! Must Re-Sort 2 SuperScryption !!!Jonny (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/cool.gif)
+Quote Post
AB

'...I will be generous and give you a week.'

Group: Inactive

QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Thu 1st November 2007, 2:22pm) *
Eureka! Here is one of the quotes I was looking for —

QUOTE(Awbrey, S.M., and Scott, D.K. @ Aug 1993)

The importance of preparing individuals for their role as citizens in a democratic society is well documented. However, the reverse assertion is less broadly understood. That is, a democratic environment, in which dialogue and critical thinking are prized, is not only facilitative of but vital to the full development of intelligence. Philosopher Hilary Putnam (1992) refers to what he calls the epistemological justification of democracy which he attributes to John Dewey, "The claim, then, is this: Democracy is not just one form of social life among other workable forms of social life; it is the precondition for the full application of intelligence to the solution of social problems" (p. 180)¹.

¹ Putnam, H. (1992), Renewing Philosophy, Harvard University Press, Cambridge, MA.

Source. Awbrey, S.M., and Scott, D.K. (August 1993), "Educating Critical Thinkers for a Democratic Society", presented at 'Critical Thinking : The Reform of Education and the New Global Economic Realities', Thirteenth Annual International Conference of The Center for Critical Thinking, Rohnert, CA. Archived, ERIC Document ED4703251. Eprint.

Jon Awbrey

QUOTE('Thomas Jefferson')
A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of
the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine.

QUOTE('Father Gassalasca Jape')
What, what! Dom Pedro, you desire to go
Back to Brazil to end your days in quiet?
Why, what assurance have you 'twould be so?
'Tis not so long since you were in a riot,
And your dear subjects showed a will to fly at
Your throat and shake you like a rat. You know
That empires are ungrateful; are you certain
Republics are less handy to get hurt in?

+Quote Post
Jonny Cache

QUOTE(AB @ Thu 1st November 2007, 12:32pm) *

QUOTE('Thomas Jefferson')

A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine.

QUOTE('Father Gassalasca Jape')

What, what! Dom Pedro, you desire to go
   Back to Brazil to end your days in quiet?
Why, what assurance have you 'twould be so?
   'Tis not so long since you were in a riot,
   And your dear subjects showed a will to fly at
Your throat and shake you like a rat. You know
That empires are ungrateful; are you certain
Republics are less handy to get hurt in?

AB,

The item on the table is not the nature of democracy, but the relation between democracy and inquiry.

Inquiry is a general but handy term that encompasses everything from everyday problem solving to scientific method, while deftly side-stepping those Fire In The Night Feyerabendians who raise such a whoop and a holler as to whether there's a method to the divine madness of science or not.

Jon Awbrey

+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

While I prefer democracy to tyranny or oligarchy, I prefer best practices to popular but ill-conceived practices.

In medicine, there is a core ethic to avoid iatrogenic treatments which variously make the patient sicker, or otherwise spread or exacerbate the disease.

In politics, it is customary to blindly adopt iatrogenic treatments.
+Quote Post
AB

QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Thu 1st November 2007, 6:56pm) *
AB,

The item on the table is not the nature of democracy, but the relation between democracy and inquiry.

Inquiry is a general but handy term that encompasses everything from everyday problem solving to scientific method, while deftly side-stepping those Fire In The Night Feyerabendians who raise such a whoop and a holler as to whether there's a method to the divine madness of science or not.

Jon Awbrey

In democracy, you are expected to think as the masses tell you to think, or at
least do as they tell you to do.
+Quote Post
GlassBeadGame

Dharma Bum

From: My name it means nothing. My age it means less. The country I come from is called the Mid-West.
Member No.: 981

QUOTE(AB @ Thu 1st November 2007, 2:44pm) *

QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Thu 1st November 2007, 6:56pm) *
AB,

Jon Awbrey

In democracy, you are expected to think as the masses tell you to think, or at
least do as they tell you to do.

I think we might be over-emphasizing the "mob" aspect of democracies. Modern democracies are usually characterized by free information flow, numerous independent power centers and plentiful opportunities to make course corrections. Democracies in this sense should be good hosts and sponsors of inquiry.
+Quote Post
Jonny Cache

QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Thu 1st November 2007, 4:51pm) *

I think we might be over-emphasizing the "mob" aspect of democracies. Modern democracies are usually characterized by free information flow, numerous independent power centers, and plentiful opportunities to make course corrections. Democracies in this sense should be good hosts and sponsors of inquiry.

Thanks, Spiel, that's more on track with what Peirce, Dewey, and Putnam were saying.

Not to mention Ben Franklin & Co.

I hope nobody was thinking Wikipedia when I said Democracy.

+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

Inquiry sometimes generates an inconvenient truth. Most researchers don't have the kind of audience that Al Gore managed to reach.
+Quote Post
AB

QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Thu 1st November 2007, 8:51pm) *
I think we might be over-emphasizing the "mob" aspect of democracies. Modern democracies are usually characterized by free information flow, numerous independent power centers and plentiful opportunities to make course corrections. Democracies in this sense should be good hosts and sponsors of inquiry.

You realise in most so-called democracies, not to mention most every government in
the world, most laws were written by people who are now dead. Hence, we have a
world full of necrocracies.

In any case, what free information flow? Pretty much anywhere you go, there is
some sort of restriction on defamatory speech. In some places, it is stronger than
others. For example, anti-defamation laws are stronger in the UK, Australia, and
Canada than in the US. There are also related laws regarding privacy or false
light in many places. Then there's copyright, in some cases restricting not only
your right to write things that someone else happens to have already written,
but also restricting technology that has the potential to be used to violate copyright,
even if it has other uses. And then the US considers strong cryptography a weapon
which cannot be exported. Fortunately, OpenBSD is based in Canada, from which
strong cryptography can be exported.
+Quote Post
GlassBeadGame

Dharma Bum

From: My name it means nothing. My age it means less. The country I come from is called the Mid-West.
Member No.: 981

QUOTE(AB @ Thu 1st November 2007, 3:28pm) *

QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Thu 1st November 2007, 8:51pm) *

You realise in most so-called democracies, not to mention most every government in
the world, most laws were written by people who are now dead. Hence, we have a
world full of necrocracies.

In any case, what free information flow? Pretty much anywhere you go, there is
some sort of restriction on defamatory speech. In some places, it is stronger than
others. For example, anti-defamation laws are stronger in the UK, Australia, and
Canada than in the US. There are also related laws regarding privacy or false
light in many places. Then there's copyright, in some cases restricting not only
your right to write things that someone else happens to have already written,
but also restricting technology that has the potential to be used to violate copyright,
even if it has other uses. And then the US considers strong cryptography a weapon
which cannot be exported. Fortunately, OpenBSD is based in Canada, from which
strong cryptography can be exported.

These are hardly draconian restrictions on information flow. The specific merit of each of these restrictions can be debated and we might frequently come out on the same side. I indicated above that one element of a democracy is the presence of frequent opportunities to make course corrections. This should address your concern about rule from the grave. None of the nation states you cite are prefect democracies, but they are pretty good concerning information flow.

Now let's give Jonny and company the needed space to conduct a more focused discussion on "Democracy and Inquiry."
+Quote Post
AB

QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Thu 1st November 2007, 11:27pm) *
These are hardly draconian restrictions on information flow.

Why does everyone keep assuming I am pro free speech? I am strongly
pro-privacy, and rather anti-defamation too, particularly when it comes to
websites with large numbers of readers. Often, protecting people's privacy
and reputation involves censorship, so I am clearly not in favour of free
speech.
+Quote Post
Amarkov

Ãœber Member

Member No.: 3,635

Democracy would work pretty well on Wikipedia, actually. A lot of good things happened back when there were votes. But then people seemed to get this strange idea that not voting was a long tradition. Now if you try to decide something by voting, someone will swoop down, delete your poll, and say "CONSENSUS NOT NUMBERS!" And people have begun to ditch even the pretense that Wikipedian consensus takes into account the opinions of those who disagree with the "correct" viewpoint.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)