FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
The Purpose Of Criticism -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Purpose Of Criticism, & The Critique Of Pure Pose
Rating  3
Jonny Cache

τα δε μοι παθήματα μαθήματα γέγονε

Group: Contributors

With respect, or lack thereof, to Wikipedia, there appear to be at least two schools of thought that prevail among the members of this Review.
  • There are those who, having entered Wikipedia, have abandoned all hope of saving it.
  • There are those who wait in Casablocca, and wait, and wait, and wait, ..., and wait ...
For my part, the good of this Review, in concert with the purpose of criticism at large, is far broader than a focal fixation on the fate, good or ill, of Wikipedia.

For me, the main attraction of this forum, however strange, is cued by the phrase, "for general discussion of Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects", where the extension to "other Wikimedia projects" remains, in a choice word, critical.

That's the e-scape clause that affords us a port to the future.

So let's not muff the opportunity.

Jonny (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/cool.gif)

This post has been edited by Jonny Cache:
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jonny Cache

If I remember the etymology, the word criticism springs from a complex of roots that have to do with sifting and sorting and eventually settling on a course of action. This involves considering each choice in the light of conceivable alternatives, choices that we know to present themselves already or choices that we are able to conceive of constructing. As a consequence, we have this maxim:
  • Criticism properly conceived is always comparative and constructive.
+Quote Post
Somey

Can't actually moderate (or even post)

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 275

But are we talking about alternatives to Wikipedia, i.e., other online encyclopedias built on better software or social models? Or are we talking about other collaborative web-based "knowledge-gathering" projects in general?

Just to throw out an example - and this is also a Wikimedia project - I was just looking at OmegaWiki the other day. It used to be known as WiktionaryZ, and it's a multi-lingual dictionary with a relational database back-end... Now that, to me, is something the world could really use. The concept presumably isn't completely resistant to bias, inaccuracy, or abuse, but I would think it's far more so than Wikipedia.

The reason these smaller projects aren't as popular almost has to be the fact that people aren't attracted to them as a means of promoting their own versions of the truth, not to mention the fact that the communities aren't as big and lively, making them less fertile ground for the average narcissist. So really, I have to applaud the people who work on things like OmegaWiki - they're really doing it for the sake of helping to make a good idea actually work better, rather than making a bad idea worse.
+Quote Post
Jonny Cache

Somey,

Just to clear up one quick point -- as I will need to save the rest for later today.

Most likely because I'd been working on other wikis before I fell into Wikipedia, I'm reading wikimedia as wiki media, that is, in a generic, non-proprietary sense. That's my understanding, and I'm sticking to it.

+Quote Post
the fieryangel

the Internet Review Corporation is watching you...

Group: Regulars
Member No.: 577

Jonny,

I really wanted to believe that wikis were a valuable concept. I really tried. But the whole thing is flawed because it's.....I hate to say it, but the word is "populist".

Knowledge has been, is, and probably always will be elitist. To know anything, you have to spend years just studying ONE thing. And even then, there's absolutely no guarantee that what you've learned is going to be of value. However, this idea that "anybody can edit it" and it becomes magically "the gift of knowledge" is just false. It doesn't work that way.

The more you know, the more you discover that you don't know. People who edit Wikis think that they know everything, which basically proves to me that they know nothing.

What's the solution? Simple:

Do your work. The work that you're supposed to be doing. Don't worry about anything else. Don't listen to what anybody else thinks about it. Just do the work.

Then use the tools that are there on the web to get your work out. When I think about all the things that are possible because of the web today (you can press single unit CDs, you can print your own books, you can publish instantly), it amazes me that just having this at our disposal isn't enough.

Leave the Wikibizness to the drones who don't have anything else to say (or who don't think that they have the right to say anything new).

Just don't let people think that the "wikiway" is what it claims to be. That's the message that's got to get out here. There IS another way.

There! two cents plus two cents equals less than a nickle! Maybe we'll get to a quarter if I get inspired....
+Quote Post
Jonny Cache

Again just a brief reply for now, as it's quickly approaching the chillin' hour here.

Nobody should confuse wikis in general with the agenda and the ideology that have come to dominate Wikipedia and the Wikimedia Foundation.

I've worked on several different wiki projects and they all had different protocols. The pseudo-populism of "any ediot can edit anything" model is just one way of doing things. By its fruitcakes we may judge it.

Ding !!! An Sich ...

+Quote Post
Jonny Cache

Recent events prompt me to post the following notice:

To those who wait in Casablocca ...

You have observed how that breed of Wikipooch behaves and you have observed how doggone persistent that behavior is. That is hard empirical data. Value it. Learn from it. It is no longer rational to expect that species of critter to behave any differently than what you have seen already. I repeat -- no longer rational. All we can hope to do here is to post the appropriate warning signs so that other unsuspecting passersby will not get bitten. If people ignore the signs, they ignore them at their own risk.

+Quote Post
Jonny Cache

QUOTE(Somey @ Thu 11th January 2007, 11:11am) *

But are we talking about alternatives to Wikipedia, i.e., other online encyclopedias built on better software or social models? Or are we talking about other collaborative web-based "knowledge-gathering" projects in general?

I am thinking of critique being relative to a context of competing alternatives, but the field of view can be as wide or as narrow as you want to make it, so long as there is any degree of freedom at all. I think that we naturally tend to evaluate things in mutiple overlapping frames, unless some form of coercion is holding our gnosis to the grindstone.

So that's an open question to me ...

QUOTE(Somey @ Thu 11th January 2007, 11:11am) *

Just to throw out an example -- and this is also a Wikimedia project -- I was just looking at OmegaWiki the other day. It used to be known as WiktionaryZ, and it's a multi-lingual dictionary with a relational database back-end. Now that, to me, is something the world could really use. The concept presumably isn't completely resistant to bias, inaccuracy, or abuse, but I would think it's far more so than Wikipedia.

The reason these smaller projects aren't as popular almost has to be the fact that people aren't attracted to them as a means of promoting their own versions of the truth, not to mention the fact that the communities aren't as big and lively, making them less fertile ground for the average narcissist. So really, I have to applaud the people who work on things like OmegaWiki -- they're really doing it for the sake of helping to make a good idea actually work better, rather than making a bad idea worse.

That's definitely one of the factors in the mix -- your guess about what makes the difference, I mean. But I think that there is something more specific about the Jimbo-Larry ideology that leads their projects down the road to wikiperdition.

In-Corrigendum. "Mutiple"? I like it. I think I'll stet it.

+Quote Post
Jonny Cache

QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Thu 11th January 2007, 5:20pm) *

I really wanted to believe that wikis were a valuable concept. I really tried. But the whole thing is flawed because it's ... I hate to say it, but the word is "populist".

As I said before, let's not confuse the wiki software paradigm with the bastardizations of it that we find in the English Wikipedia and more lately in Citizendium. I, too, gave both of these enterprises my best college tries before I concluded after multiple trials that they had fallen and could not get up. Each of them suffers from a pathological mutation of social dynamics that is hard-wired into its very foundations, and no amount of patchwork will save them.

But let's end the mystification about populism once and for all.

Both Wikipedia and Citizendium are just about as elitist as any gang of apes can be. All that sets them apart from the selective pressures of real world society is what you have to do in order to qualify for the local elite. In Wikipedia you earn your merit badges by sucking up -- lickety-split -- to the Jimbo Wales-dominated cabal. In Citizendium the tenure committee consists of exactly one person, Larry Sanger. Given those two choices, give me the old-fangled elites any day of the week, where at least the postulants have to do something of real value in order to earn their places in the sun.

+Quote Post
Jonny Cache

Candidate for Partial Recycling …

Jon Awbrey
+Quote Post
GlassBeadGame

Dharma Bum

From: My name it means nothing. My age it means less. The country I come from is called the Mid-West.
Member No.: 981

QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Mon 8th January 2007, 4:18pm) *

With respect, or lack thereof, to Wikipedia, there appear to be at least two schools of thought that prevail among the members of this Review.
  • There are those who, having entered Wikipedia, have abandoned all hope of saving it.
  • There are those who wait in Casablocca, and wait, and wait, and wait, ..., and wait ...
For my part, the good of this Review, in concert with the purpose of criticism at large, is far broader than a focal fixation on the fate, good or ill, of Wikipedia.

My critique of Wp has evolved and benefited from contact and interaction with of other WR posters. Currently I have begun to let go of the objective of burying Wikipedia. I have come to the decision that Wikipedia's survival is none of my business, not one way nor the other. Instead I have developed what I would refer to as an Externalist Critique. I attempt to view all actions of Wikipedia, "the community," the Wikimedia Foundation through the lens of a reasonable, civicly engage person seeking to hold these institutions to a standard of social responsibility.

I wish to uphold such standards and promote discussion analyzing Wikipedia making reference to other websites, encyclopedias non-profit organizations, online collaborative projects and social media. By these yardsticks Wikipedia falls painfully short. Because I see Wikipedia's internal processes flawed (dysfunctional social networking community) my approach to reform, when that seems possible at all, is usually orientated toward the application of external intervention, outside dispute resolution, and new resources and controls brought to bear by responsible and trusted 3rd parties.
+Quote Post
gomi

Group: Members

QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Tue 15th January 2008, 12:20pm) *
Currently I have begun to let go of the objective of burying Wikipedia.
I quote the esteemed Frank Zappa: "Some say that the world will end in fire or ice, but I think there are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia." The same could be said for Wikipedia.
+Quote Post
Jonny Cache

QUOTE(gomi @ Tue 15th January 2008, 3:24pm) *

QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Tue 15th January 2008, 12:20pm) *

Currently I have begun to let go of the objective of burying Wikipedia.

I quote the esteemed Frank Zappa: "Some say that the world will end in fire or ice, but I think there are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia." The same could be said for Wikipedia.

And the same could be said for The Wikipedia Review.

+Quote Post
gomi

Group: Members

It seems clear to me that Wikipedia Review will meet its demise before Wikipedia. However, I also believe that by that time, Wikipedia's demise will be assured, only slower.

On a different note, as I'm sure it didn't take you two months to think of that clever retort, Jonny, what brings this issue to your attention now?
+Quote Post
Jonny Cache

QUOTE(gomi @ Sun 16th March 2008, 1:04am) *

It seems clear to me that Wikipedia Review will meet its demise before Wikipedia. However, I also believe that by that time, Wikipedia's demise will be assured, only slower.

On a different note, as I'm sure it didn't take you two months to think of that clever retort, Jonny, what brings this issue to your attention now?

Do not go Gentile into that good night …
Rummage, rummage, against the dying of the light.

But, y'see, that's one of those things that I've been saying here for almost two years now — that the Purpose of Criticism goes beyond the Particular to the Genre. All unheeded. The sad fact is that even many Revusniks still buy into the Wikipediot Ideology — however unwittingly — and this blinkers (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/blink.gif) them from seeing that the Vet should outlive the Dead Horse, or what's a Vet for.

+Quote Post
Wolfe

Neophyte

QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Fri 12th January 2007, 7:20am) *

I really wanted to believe that wikis were a valuable concept. I really tried. But the whole thing is flawed because it's.....I hate to say it, but the word is "populist".

Knowledge has been, is, and probably always will be elitist. To know anything, you have to spend years just studying ONE thing. And even then, there's absolutely no guarantee that what you've learned is going to be of value. However, this idea that "anybody can edit it" and it becomes magically "the gift of knowledge" is just false. It doesn't work that way.

What makes you think that an elite would come to a much greater degree of agreement than Wikipedia does?

The sciences are probably the area within academia where there is most agreement, given shared methods and a relative lack of politically controversial material.

The more you move away from that, the more venomous and diffuse the disputes become. It has to do with the nature of the subject matter. Scholarly consensus is often a myth foisted upon the laity.

Oddly enough, this is true of Wikipedia. The science articles tend to be among the best ones, while the controversial stuff is the subject of venomous edit warring.
+Quote Post
Kato

dhd

QUOTE(Wolfe @ Sun 16th March 2008, 1:24pm) *

The sciences are probably the area within academia where there is most agreement, given shared methods and a relative lack of politically controversial material.

Not true at all. The Sciences are born of disagreements. But modern scientific practices allow for the endless disagreements to be played out in a comparatively productive, progressive manner. Yet on WP scientific methods have been utterly eschewed by Wales and his useless dispute resolution practices, much to our loss.
+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

Member No.: 3,670

The only way it's gonna end in nostalgia is if someone has the chutzpah to master the Bardic Arts well enough to transform all this ferchachta paperwork into a Gothic Comic Opera.
+Quote Post
Jonny Cache

QUOTE(Wolfe @ Sun 16th March 2008, 8:24am) *

QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Fri 12th January 2007, 7:20am) *

I really wanted to believe that wikis were a valuable concept. I really tried. But the whole thing is flawed because it's … I hate to say it, but the word is "populist".

What makes you think that an elite would come to a much greater degree of agreement than Wikipedia does?

The more you move away from that, the more venomous and diffuse the disputes become. It has to do with the nature of the subject matter. Scholarly consensus is often a myth foisted upon the laity.

Oddly enough, this is true of Wikipedia. The science articles tend to be among the best ones, while the controversial stuff is the subject of venomous edit warring.

Anyone who's been paying attention knows that the Very Idea Of An Elite does not disturb Wikipediots so much as the Very Idea Of Not Having Their Own. Now they do.

+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

Collaboration is still a good idea, and in many contexts a better model than competition.

But collaboration requires trust and conflict management -- something that can be dispensed with in all-out competition.

The Wiki model presumes a collaborative environment where the participants are able to trust each other.

That's where Wikipedia's social model fails. It fails to build trust, and thereby fails to build a functional collaborative community.
+Quote Post
dtobias

Obsessive trolling idiot [per JzG]

Member No.: 962

The way websites come to an end depends on how they were run to begin with... if they're big-money, high-profile ones like in the infamous dot-com boom of the late '90s, they're likely to flame out spectactularly when the money runs out and the business plan is finally seen as unworkable, probably leading to it vanishing completely or getting bought out by some other company and transformed into something completely different. On the other hand, sites involving less money (and run mostly as labors-of-love by their owners and participants) are more likely to have a long, slow fade-out as they gradually turn into "cobweb sites" that are rarely updated and have little activity, but remain online because it doesn't cost anybody very much to keep them running (most personal websites, on a cheap hosting account, fit in this category). At some point in the distant future there's an anticlimactic actual end when the owner fails to renew the domain name and/or hosting account and links to the site go dead (or maybe wind up going to a cybersquatting porn site).
+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

Or, more likely, the hardware dies and it ain't worth the trouble to resurrect it on a new machine.
+Quote Post
WhispersOfWisdom

Lee Nysted

QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Mon 8th January 2007, 6:18pm) *

For me, the main attraction of this forum, however strange, is cued by the phrase, "for general discussion of Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects", where the extension to "other Wikimedia projects" remains, in a choice word, critical.

I do not believe in, nor do I have faith in, the structural integrity of any corporation that exists in a vacuum without anyone at the helm. Fake people and fake laws. Such is the case in re: Wikipedia. I do not agree with the basic premise of any “wiki” or system of knowledge, that cannot be secured against a continuous stream of kids changing the truth, at will. Wikipedia is successful because of the tireless effort of thousands of people working for work sake. Although very admirable, the end result is a default state that becomes only as wise and simple as all the editors involved, can, in fact, produce. It is average, then, at best.

I do not want a presence there, and I will not work there. However, if the project ever merges into a corporate structure like Microsoft or Google, I will re-think my position.

I came here because a group of kids invaded WP using my good name.

I left with the help of real life counsel…

http://www.Musiclaw1.com

Thank you Frank, Isotope23, and NewYorkBrad for deleting the feaux Lee.

This post has been edited by WhispersOfWisdom:
+Quote Post
Wolfe

Neophyte

QUOTE(Kato @ Sun 16th March 2008, 11:10pm) *
No true at all. The Sciences are born of disagreements. But modern scientific practices allow for the endless disagreements to be played out in a comparatively productive, progressive manner. Yet on WP scientific methods have been utterly eschewed by Wales and his useless dispute resolution practices, much to our loss.

I don't think you are disagreeing with me. Would you agree that there is a greater degree of consensus in the sciences than there is in say, English Literature or Philosophy (the latter has a shared method, but empirical evidence plays little or no role because of the nature of the questions)? It's really a distinction of degree rather than kind.

Wales is clearly a clown and Wikipedia is obviously flawed in several ways, but despite the inmates being in control of the asylum I would have expected Wikipedia to be far worse than it is. I guess I count as an "expert" in a particular field, and while I can find stuff I don't like on my topic in Wikipedia, it is no worse than Britannica and more extensive.

I realize that unlike myself a lot of posters here have had unpleasant experiences on Wikipedia, probably at the hands of the sociopaths and control freaks (Jayjg in particular, who is a thoroughly revolting individual) that led me to this place.

QUOTE(WhispersOfWisdom @ Mon 17th March 2008, 1:35am) *
I do not want a presence there, and I will not work there. However, if the project ever merges into a corporate structure like Microsoft or Google, I will re-think my position.

I think I'd die if Microsoft took it over, although I suggested in a recent Slashdot post that Google would be the perfect company to take it over.

Whatever happens, the incompetent Wales needs to go.
+Quote Post
Jonny Cache

QUOTE(Wolfe @ Mon 17th March 2008, 4:49am) *

QUOTE(Kato @ Sun 16th March 2008, 9:10am) *

QUOTE(Wolfe @ Sun 16th March 2008, 1:24pm) *

Not true at all. The Sciences are born of disagreements. But modern scientific practices allow for the endless disagreements to be played out in a comparatively productive, progressive manner. Yet on WP scientific methods have been utterly eschewed by Wales and his useless dispute resolution practices, much to our loss.

I don't think you are disagreeing with me. Would you agree that there is a greater degree of consensus in the sciences than there is in say, English Literature or Philosophy (the latter has a shared method, but empirical evidence plays little or no role because of the nature of the questions)? It's really a distinction of degree rather than kind.

Wales is clearly a clown and Wikipedia is obviously flawed in several ways, but despite the inmates being in control of the asylum I would have expected Wikipedia to be far worse than it is. I guess I count as an "expert" in a particular field, and while I can find stuff I don't like on my topic in Wikipedia, it is no worse than Britannica and more extensive.

I realize that unlike myself a lot of posters here have had unpleasant experiences on Wikipedia, probably at the hands of the sociopaths and control freaks (Jayjg in particular, who is a thoroughly revolting individual) that led me to this place.

Other than yeoperson proof-reading work, it never occurred to me to edit articles in areas that I had not studied for several decades. I think it's fair to say that Wikipedia is downright atrocious in most parts of most of those areas. My attempts to bring a host of articles up to the level of basic textbook knowledge were transiently successful, but most of that has been eroded in the time since I left.

Wikipediots on the whole lack the basic respect for knowledge that it takes to manage any type of knowledge resource. It's a waste of time trying to improve the quality of content in Wikipedia. People who have anything beyond high school howlers, popular misconceptions, teeny-bopper trivia, and urban legends to contribute need to find a worksite where the adults are still in charge.

Jon Awbrey

+Quote Post
Gold heart

Lean duck!

Group: Inactive

WP is a bit like Route 66, it's changing rapidly and surely. Going are the days of friendships among editors, to be replaced by snarley editors, and their snarley admins. Through the years I have worked with mainly British and Irish editors, and on both sides the friendships have been of a warm and cordial nature. But that day is almost gone, even amongst Irish editors, of which I am one, the friendships are gone, and a coldness looms. And whois is responsible for all this, snarley admins who have gotten much bigger than the editors, and consider themselves some sort of untouchable elite. We saw it lately when a handful of admins continuously attacked Vintagekits over his misplaced adjectives, and there were a few. They completely overdid their roll and developed a hysteria about the subject. Then the concerted abuse followed - a long tale of woe which I won't rehash. What's not always realised is that even if one editor on Wikipedia is mistreated, that mistreatment becomes the standard, and becomes what in fact Wikipedia is, a cesspool of abuse and debortuary. Wikipedia won't demise, but like Route 66, it will change. If it doesn't change its ways, it's finished.

"whatever you did to the least of these, you did to Me"
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

Known alias of J. Random Troll

QUOTE(Gold heart @ Mon 17th March 2008, 11:28pm) *

WP is a bit like Route 66, it's changing rapidly and surely. Going are the days of friendships among editors, to be replaced by snarley editors, and their snarley admins. ..Wikipedia won't demise, but like Route 66, it will change. If it doesn't change its ways, it's finished.

Out where I live, Route 66 is called Foothill Blvd and is full of no-tell hotels, old radiator repair shops, and manufacturing buildings tagged with orange spraypaint graffiti. At night, the water mains aboveground are cut and stolen for their copper content. It's gone downhill greatly.

It's a function of too many people: The village changes into the city, then the center becomes the ghetto. The sense of community is sometimes lost if the place is so filled with people that you don't know your neighbors. People are nicer to each other as function of population density; you know this if you've visited Nevada, Alaska, Utah. But people are always nicer as pioneers, because that's the kind of people pioneers are.

The only hope I have, is that there are other selection factors, too, which operate even though density of people and anonymity. Have you ever been to the Burning Man festival in Nevada? For a few weeks, 40,000 or more people converge in a small place in the desert, and manage to be nice to each other, even though they don't know each other. It's the spirit with which they come in the first place. And there is a selection factor that only people who plan ahead for tickets and are prepared for the inclement conditions and conditions of no possible economic benefit, are represented. (Kosher Greg might ruminate on that, a bit).

In any case. Never underestimate the power of pre-selection. I was thinking about this the other day when an English friend of mine remarked that he thought Japanese were all very clever, until he spent some time actually in Japan, where he met many stupid Japanese. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/ohmy.gif) Then he realized his problem: he hadn't previously known a truly representative sample. Likewise, the internet in general and Wikipedia in particular used to be a far more interesting place, in the times when not everybody could get there. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/blink.gif)

Frontiers, my boy! Frontiers! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/biggrin.gif)

-- Wyatt

This post has been edited by Milton Roe:
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

Known alias of J. Random Troll

QUOTE(Wolfe @ Mon 17th March 2008, 9:49am) *

I guess I count as an "expert" in a particular field, and while I can find stuff I don't like on my topic in Wikipedia, it is no worse than Britannica and more extensive.

LOL. Yes. I'm reminded of Sagan's tale about "Worlds in Collision" Velikovsky, and what audiences thought of the man. He said the scientists thought his science abominable, but his history good; whereas the historians thought his history terrible but his science brilliant. (The irony is that a bit of the same was said of Sagan; it is ever the fate of polymaths to look great, only so long as they stay away from groups of experts).

If you ask any random group of a few hundred people a random question, something interesting happens. Odds are bad that they'll contain any geniune world-expert on any single small topic. But on the other hand, odds are good that somebody in a group of that many people, will know more about (almost) anything, than YOU do. So also Wikipedia and USENET. Try to stay away from things you really know a lot about, and if you can, it all seems quite reasonable and true indeed. And perhaps, in some sense, it is. These things are relative. Wikipedia is actually better than average. It takes billllllions and billllllions to produce the very best of everything.

Better-than-average is good. And of course the best is ever the enemy of the good.

This post has been edited by Milton Roe:
+Quote Post
Jonny Cache

The Mush Mouth Of The Month Contest Is Down The Hall

+Quote Post
Wolfe

Neophyte

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Tue 18th March 2008, 1:20pm) *

If you ask any random group of a few hundred people a random question, something interesting happens. Odds are bad that they'll contain any geniune world-expert on any single small topic. But on the other hand, odds are good that somebody in a group of that many people, will know more about (almost) anything, than YOU do. So also Wikipedia and USENET. Try to stay away from things you really know a lot about, and if you can, it all seems quite reasonable and true indeed. And perhaps, in some sense, it is. These things are relative. Wikipedia is actually better than average. It takes billllllions and billllllions to produce the very best of everything.

I know a lot about my chosen subject, so there won't be many people on earth who know more than me (it is insanely obscure). However, there will be very many people who, while they know less than me, know something I don't know about the subject.

I'm an academic, and the one thing I have learned is that even the most educated people in our society don't know all that much.

In many cases, groups of individuals are superior to individuals when it comes to getting the correct result. Wikipedia is a test case. The interesting thing is that it isn't a complete failure. I can think of probably half a dozen things that could be done that would make it much better than it is. The problem is that the project as it stands absolutely reeks of bongwater, and as usual in such cases, the idealists are taken for a ride by the sociopaths.

If people can write a functional open source operating system, there is no reason why they can't write an encyclopaedia. They just need to set effective rules and engage professional management. One obvious problem is that the project serves the interests of the editors rather than the readers.
+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

QUOTE(Wolfe @ Wed 19th March 2008, 10:07am) *
If people can write a functional open source operating system, there is no reason why they can't write an encyclopaedia. They just need to set effective rules and engage professional management. One obvious problem is that the project serves the interests of the editors rather than the readers.

It is a myth that there exists an effective set of rules to create a functional system. If you want a functional system, you have to build it out of functions, not rules. The language of rules is too weak a language to craft the requisite functions.
+Quote Post
UseOnceAndDestroy

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(Wolfe @ Wed 19th March 2008, 2:07pm) *
If people can write a functional open source operating system, there is no reason why they can't write an encyclopaedia.

This comparison keeps turning up, and while it sounds reasonable on a sloganeering level, its fundamentally wrong.

The driver for the development of Linux is real and pressing - the movement of mass computing to a monolithic, corporately-controlled standard is stiflingly unhealthy, and OSS breeds diversity and invention. Particularly, had LAMP not been created, a lot of the web innovation of the last decade likely wouldn't have happened. Good-quality developers were drawn to OSS for good reasons, and established a decent level of governance because you just can't engineer software without it. Because the technically incompetent don't last long, Linux benefits from a virtuous circle: better software = more users = more developers = better software.

There is no such driver for the development of Wikipedia. Wikipedia is a redundant re-mediation of the internet, which is already an "open-source encyclopaedia", and which anyone on a connected network can contribute to with a lot less moderation and interference than they'd get from a wp admin.

Because the task of a wp editor is to basically read and re-mediate, without the need to engage with ideas and work hard to (god forbid) become an expert, its a magnet for the not-particularly-bright. Many contributors aren't really interested in putting knowledge on the internet, because they fear the obscurity that awaits their mediocre contributions - so they rely on wikipedia's skewed pagerank to put their stunted prose at the top of search results pages and give them that warm glow of self-importance. And there's no effective competence filter, so the circle is reversed: higher SERPS for mediocre content = more users = more talentless nincompoops throwing shite at the wiki and linking to each other = higher SERPS for mediocre content.

And the worst bit - the bit that really shows up the facile nature of the "wp = open source" comparison - is that the logical conclusion of wikia/wikipedia is a monolithic, corporately-controlled standard, where every page and every site pretty much looks the same, works the same, and has the same culture.
+Quote Post
Jonny Cache

QUOTE(UseOnceAndDestroy @ Wed 19th March 2008, 1:05pm) *

If people can write a functional open source operating system, there is no reason why they can't write an encyclopaedia.

This comparison keeps turning up, and while it sounds reasonable on a sloganeering level, its fundamentally wrong.

The driver for the development of Linux is real and pressing — the movement of mass computing to a monolithic, corporately-controlled standard is stiflingly unhealthy, and OSS breeds diversity and invention. Particularly, had LAMP not been created, a lot of the web innovation of the last decade likely wouldn't have happened. Good-quality developers were drawn to OSS for good reasons, and established a decent level of governance because you just can't engineer software without it. Because the technically incompetent don't last long, Linux benefits from a virtuous circle: better software = more users = more developers = better software.

There is no such driver for the development of Wikipedia. Wikipedia is a redundant re-mediation of the internet, which is already an "open-source encyclopaedia", and which anyone on a connected network can contribute to with a lot less moderation and interference than they'd get from a wp admin.

Because the task of a wp editor is to basically read and re-mediate, without the need to engage with ideas and work hard to (god forbid) become an expert, its a magnet for the not-particularly-bright. Many contributors aren't really interested in putting knowledge on the internet, because they fear the obscurity that awaits their mediocre contributions — so they rely on wikipedia's skewed pagerank to put their stunted prose at the top of search results pages and give them that warm glow of self-importance. And there's no effective competence filter, so the circle is reversed: higher SERPS for mediocre content = more users = more talentless nincompoops throwing shite at the wiki and linking to each other = higher SERPS for mediocre content.

And the worst bit — the bit that really shows up the facile nature of the "wp = open source" comparison — is that the logical conclusion of wikia/wikipedia is a monolithic, corporately-controlled standard, where every page and every site pretty much looks the same, works the same, and has the same culture.

WOW — Just when I had about lost all hope for any intelligent commentary at all —

Per Angusta Ad Augusta In A Nut'sHell
Star Of Arete

``````````````Z.................

+Quote Post
Pumpkin Muffins

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(Wolfe @ Wed 19th March 2008, 7:07am) *

I'm an academic, and the one thing I have learned is that even the most educated people in our society don't know all that much.

I'd go further and point out that being educated and knowing a lot of stuff has nothing to do with wisdom.

If people write crappy code, its benchmarks are poor or it doesn't run so you know its crappy.

If people write a crappy wikipedia entries, editors can argue until the end of time about weather they are crappy or not. Meanwhile, the article persists and harm the subjects of the article.

+Quote Post
Jonny Cache

QUOTE(Pumpkin Muffins @ Sat 22nd March 2008, 9:31am) *

I'd go further and point out that being educated and knowing a lot of stuff has nothing to do with wisdom.

If people write crappy code, its benchmarks are poor or it doesn't run so you know its crappy.

If people write a crappy Wikipedia entries, editors can argue until the end of time about weather they are crappy or not. Meanwhile, the article persists and harm the subjects of the article.

It is not wise to go about claiming you are wise —
Which is why so many foolish people do so …

Help! I'm being held prisoner in a WikiΦortune Cookie Φactory!

+Quote Post
Wolfe

Neophyte

QUOTE(UseOnceAndDestroy @ Thu 20th March 2008, 2:05am) *

The driver for the development of Linux is real and pressing - the movement of mass computing to a monolithic, corporately-controlled standard is stiflingly unhealthy, and OSS breeds diversity and invention. Particularly, had LAMP not been created, a lot of the web innovation of the last decade likely wouldn't have happened. Good-quality developers were drawn to OSS for good reasons, and established a decent level of governance because you just can't engineer software without it. Because the technically incompetent don't last long, Linux benefits from a virtuous circle: better software = more users = more developers = better software.

You must be joking. There is an obvious driver for the development of wikipedia and that is that people want a centralized repository of information in a standardized format because it is easier to use (and other people want to write it). In fact, it is the exact same motivation for the creation of paper encyclopaedias. Saying that the internet is an unmoderated "open source encyclopaedia" is like saying that the British National Library is. Sure, anyone can contribute to the National Library just by having a book published, but while the National Library contains vastly more information, it is no substitute for a traditional encyclopaedia, like Britannica which serves a simpler and more practical purpose.

Centralization and standardization of information is the whole purpose of reference works. You are must be confused about the purpose of an encyclopaedia to make such a comment.

I agree that incentives make it more difficult to develop an open online encyclopaedia than open software (although some open software is harder to successfully develop than others). There are also going to be different rules needed. But the basic principle is the same: openness can be an advantage.

Even open source software projects have rules. If the rules were bad, they wouldn't work. So the comparison is not "fundamentally wrong".

Because the task of a wp editor is to basically read and re-mediate, without the need to engage with ideas and work hard to (god forbid) become an expert, its a magnet for the not-particularly-bright. Many contributors aren't really interested in putting knowledge on the internet, because they fear the obscurity that awaits their mediocre contributions - so they rely on wikipedia's skewed pagerank to put their stunted prose at the top of search results pages and give them that warm glow of self-importance. And there's no effective competence filter, so the circle is reversed: higher SERPS for mediocre content = more users = more talentless nincompoops throwing shite at the wiki and linking to each other = higher SERPS for mediocre content.

Yet your complaints are disproved by the fact that Wikipedia is largely accurate. There are of course caveats regarding controversial subjects, and other errors, but that is true of Britannica as well. What Wikipedia lacks in accuracy it makes up for in breadth. I don't argue that Wikipedia is perfect - only that it is surprisingly good given its open nature.

That's the one inconvenient fact that all the moaners on this site ignore. You can go to a random Wikipedia page and you are most likely to read something that is true and reasonably informative.

And your fascination with mediocrity makes me wonder whether you understand what Wikipedia is supposed to be. Britannica is mediocre. It's a reference work for non-experts written in a style that they can read easily. People who spend all their time moaning about mediocrity and incompetence tend to be either fairly insecure about their own abilities or wildly overestimate them. If you want it to be some super academic resource, then you are missing the point because that's not what it is for.

Wikipedia certainly has its problems. But every human community has its problems. We eliminate them by trial and error. Perhaps Wikipedia should hire professional moderators. Perhaps disclosure of identity should be required before editing BLP articles. Perhaps those who have recognized qualifications should receive greater weight in content decisions (but even then, there will be disputes - people often have no idea how diverse expert opinion can be). There are a bunch of things that could conceivably make it better.

These are the sort of questions that are worth asking. Wanting to destroy the whole concept because it doesn't live up to impossibly high standards is simply childish.

And the worst bit - the bit that really shows up the facile nature of the "wp = open source" comparison - is that the logical conclusion of wikia/wikipedia is a monolithic, corporately-controlled standard, where every page and every site pretty much looks the same, works the same, and has the same culture.

It's supposed to look the same. Have you seen Britannica? The articles have the same format. That's because it is an encyclopaedia and that is what encyclopaedias look like because that's what readers want them to look like. Standardization can actually be a good thing. Why are you insisting that the virtues of Wikipedia are in fact vices?

Besides, you are flat out wrong. Since Wikipedia is GPLed, anyone with the means could hoover it up and reformat it, or reorganize it under different rules. I hope Google will do that, so we can be rid of the odious Wales.

The complaints on these forums that have any real legitimacy are the BLP stuff, since the potential for defamation is obviously a problem, and Wordbomb's stuff, since Wikipedia seems incapable of dealing with people Gary Weiss. The rest comes across as the whining of people who didn't get their own way and want to destroy the whole thing because of it.

+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

QUOTE(Wolfe @ Tue 29th April 2008, 4:40am) *
Even open source software projects have rules. If the rules were bad, they wouldn't work. So the comparison is not "fundamentally wrong".

Debian and Ubuntu have Social Contracts, which comprise a self-regulatory model considerably more advanced and enlightened than one based on rules enforced by sanctions and punishments.
+Quote Post
Wolfe

Neophyte

QUOTE(Moulton @ Tue 29th April 2008, 7:59pm) *

Debian and Ubuntu have Social Contracts, which comprise a self-regulatory model considerably more advanced and enlightened than one based on rules enforced by sanctions and punishments.

In social contract theory the social contract is in the end enforced by sanctions and punishments. If you don't enforce it this way, you are just asking for collective action problems, since people's self interest is set up in such a way to destroy the contract.

That stuff about self regulation tends to reek of exactly the same wacko libertarian bongwater that Wales' ranting does. I realize these things are popular on the internet, but in reality they have little in the way of application.

If more time was spent on practical rules to ensure a decent encyclopaedia was the result and less time pontificating about freedom and anonymity, the project would be in a better situation.
+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

QUOTE(Wolfe @ Tue 29th April 2008, 7:38am) *
QUOTE(Moulton @ Tue 29th April 2008, 7:59pm) *
In social contract theory the social contract is in the end enforced by sanctions and punishments. If you don't enforce it this way, you are just asking for collective action problems, since people's self interest is set up in such a way to destroy the contract.

Not true. I have experience with several successful social contract communities that did not resort to the sanctions and punishments model.

+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

τὰ δέ μοι παθήματα μαθήματα γέγονε

Member No.: 5,619

Just by way of review …

QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Mon 8th January 2007, 5:18pm) *

• There are those who wait in Casablocca, and wait, and wait, and wait, …, and wait …

For me, the main attraction of this forum, however strange, is cued by the phrase, “for general discussion of Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects”, where the extension to “other Wikimedia projects” remains, in a choice word, critical.

Jonny (IMG:http://wikipediareview.com/stimg9x0b4fsr2/1/folder_post_icons/icon9.gif)

Yes, it will all be on the test …

Jon (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/ph34r.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)