FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Shadowjams: whose sock is this? -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shadowjams: whose sock is this?
A Horse With No Name

I have as much free time as a Wikipedia admin!

Group: Regulars

I asked this before in the recent discussion about poor A Nobody, but it seemed to get lost in the shuffle. So let's try again.

Shadowjams abruptly turned up in January 2009 and the person's very first edit was to self-identify as a recent changes patroller. The first day edits included templating vandals and removing that how-to guide given to newbies.

Clearly, this was not a newbie. Yet unless I am mistaken, this person has not publicly identified as being a previous account. Considering that this person has escaped the notice of the pathetic few who abuse their checkuser privileges for fishing purposes, it appears this sock is special.

So, are there any clues regarding who Shadowjams is/was?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Wed 2nd June 2010, 6:59pm) *
Shadowjams abruptly turned up in January 2009 and the person's very first edit was to self-identify as a recent changes patroller. The first day edits included templating vandals and removing that how-to guide given to newbies.

Clearly, this was not a newbie. Yet unless I am mistaken, this person has not publicly identified as being a previous account. Considering that this person has escaped the notice of the pathetic few who abuse their checkuser privileges for fishing purposes, it appears this sock is special.

I don't have any special knowledge of SJ's identity, but his article creations are mostly obscure random subjects,
for which he makes a miserable stub--exactly what a sock of an experienced user often does, to inflate
the new account's edit statistics. Plus hours and hours of Huggling every day. He's used virtually all of the
available scripts for vandalism reversion.

If I had to take a wild guess, he might be an attorney from Chicago, just based on his
top-edited history. But I won't stand behind it--he's a very sneaky dude.

More interesting is one of his creations: the "Subtle Vandalism Taskforce". What a joke.
They don't even have a coherent process or description of "subtle vandalism".
Typical vague, useless WP "policy writing".

I suspect he was known in the past as a famous troublemaker, and was banned. This is his attempt to
play up a fresh good record, with RFA as the goal. Consummate RPG-player.

Betcha that Silver seren (T-C-L-K-R-D) knows who he is......

(Whoever he is, this is a massive waste of human potential. But then, one could say the same thing
about a long list of admins. Isn't that right, Horse?....... (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif) )

This post has been edited by EricBarbour:
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Thu 3rd June 2010, 12:33am) *

(Whoever he is, this is a massive waste of human potential. But then, one could say the same thing
about a long list of admins. Isn't that right, Horse?....... (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif) )

Massive? Now now...they're just big-boned. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/wink.gif)

QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Thu 3rd June 2010, 12:33am) *
I suspect he was known in the past as a famous troublemaker, and was banned. This is his attempt to
play up a fresh good record, with RFA as the goal. Consummate RPG-player.

It is obviously a sock account -- albeit a protected one (this kind of crap wouldn't go on so long without someone getting suspicious, especially when you consider how the account began).

However, I don't see RfA as a goal -- after a year-and-a-half of game playing, that person would have been there and done that by now.
+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Thu 3rd June 2010, 5:56am) *
However, I don't see RfA as a goal -- after a year-and-a-half of game playing, that person would have been there and done that by now.

Well, not having that kind of special craziness that WP admins need (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/evilgrin.gif) , I could not say. But typically, anyone going to THAT DAMN MUCH EFFORT usually wants to get the admin bit. He's up to 47,000 edits already, most racked up since last October. I saw him mark hundreds upon hundreds of IP-address users for patrol--that's not a trivial game, that's obsessive-nutso. Just like any of the most manic vandal-patrollers we've seen before. (Choose a dire name from a hat. Come to think of it, this is kinda like our old pal Ryulong....minus the obsession with stupid Japanese kiddy shows.....)

Fire Team Alpha my ass. What a joke.
These are the trappings of an online RPG, not an "encyclopedia".
+Quote Post
NuclearWarfare

Group: Contributors

QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Fri 4th June 2010, 2:49am) *

Why does it bother you so much that some people see it that way? I could think of plenty of other things to get annoyed about.
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

Known alias of J. Random Troll

QUOTE(NuclearWarfare @ Thu 3rd June 2010, 8:16pm) *

Why does it bother you so much that some people see it that way? I could think of plenty of other things to get annoyed about.

Well, there's just something about seeing masked people sneaking around with RPG's that sets your teeth on edge. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/fear.gif)
+Quote Post
NuclearWarfare

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Fri 4th June 2010, 3:21am) *

QUOTE(NuclearWarfare @ Thu 3rd June 2010, 8:16pm) *

Well, there's just something about seeing masked people sneaking around with RPG's that sets your teeth on edge. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/fear.gif)

I advise you to contact your local RPG-regulating bureau.
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

Known alias of J. Random Troll

QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Wed 2nd June 2010, 9:33pm) *

I am hurt at not being mentioned among the cases of wasted human potential, also. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/boing.gif)

At least I'm not billing clients while doing "it." (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/confused.gif)
+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

Okay, snappy guys: who do you think Shadowjams really is?........
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Fri 4th June 2010, 2:57am) *

You'll notice that our resident admins/arbitrators/checkusers aren't touching this one. Even young master NuclearWarfare tried to change the subject rather than answer the question about this obvious bit of sockpuppetry.

Hmmm.... (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/evilgrin.gif)
+Quote Post
NuclearWarfare

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Fri 4th June 2010, 9:59am) *

You'll notice that our resident admins/arbitrators/checkusers aren't touching this one. Even young master NuclearWarfare tried to change the subject rather than answer the question about this obvious bit of sockpuppetry.

Hell, I don't know. Not going to try to answer either. He doesn't seem to be disruptive, so even if he is a banned user, I don't really care unless he runs for Adminship.
+Quote Post
Zoloft

May we all find solace in our dreams.

Member No.: 16,621

QUOTE(NuclearWarfare @ Fri 4th June 2010, 1:34pm) *

Hell, I don't know. Not going to try to answer either. He doesn't seem to be disruptive, so even if he is a banned user, I don't really care unless he runs for Adminship.

Realizing the importance of the case, my men are rounding up twice the usual number of suspects.
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

QUOTE(NuclearWarfare @ Fri 4th June 2010, 9:34am) *

Okay, NW, so let's get it straight -- it is okay for a "banned" user to participate on WP as long as (1) he is not disruptive and (2) he doesn't run for adminship? This seems like a considerable deviation from established policy.

Can our fellow admins and arbitrators confirm this statement -- it is okay for non-disruptive "banned" users to participate on WP? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/wtf.gif)

+Quote Post
Eva Destruction

Fat Cat

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Fri 4th June 2010, 4:57pm) *

Can our fellow admins and arbitrators confirm this statement -- it is okay for non-disruptive "banned" users to participate on WP? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/wtf.gif)

I'm neither a Wikipedia admin nor an arbitrator, but I'd say of course it is, and that goes for every website on the planet. If someone's being non-disruptive – that is, not doing anything to draw attention to themselves – how would anyone even know the banned user had returned? You of all people should know that one.
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Fri 4th June 2010, 2:32pm) *
If someone's being non-disruptive – that is, not doing anything to draw attention to themselves – how would anyone even know the banned user had returned? You of all people should know that one.

Well, you know that. And I know that. But tell that to the "banned is banned" crowd that goes "fishing" around the Wiki-waters. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/wink.gif)

But, of course, that doesn't unlock the mystery of Shadowjams -- and that person has more than called attention to himself in the past year-and-a-half (take a look through his Talk Page archives -- it is kind of hard not to notice this character). Yet no one seems to notice, let alone care. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/ermm.gif)
+Quote Post
Eva Destruction

Fat Cat

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Fri 4th June 2010, 8:00pm) *

QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Fri 4th June 2010, 2:32pm) *
If someone's being non-disruptive – that is, not doing anything to draw attention to themselves – how would anyone even know the banned user had returned? You of all people should know that one.

Well, you know that. And I know that. But tell that to the "banned is banned" crowd that goes "fishing" around the Wiki-waters. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/wink.gif)

But, of course, that doesn't unlock the mystery of Shadowjams -- and that person has more than called attention to himself in the past year-and-a-half (take a look through his Talk Page archives -- it is kind of hard not to notice this character). Yet no one seems to notice, let alone care. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/ermm.gif)

Um. I believe you're already aware of my opinions on both what "banned" means, and who Shadowjams is.

Speaking of obvious socks, who the hell is this guy? Who creates a sock account to disambiguate the different meanings of "Lutyens"?
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Fri 4th June 2010, 3:13pm) *

Um. I believe you're already aware of my opinions on both what "banned" means, and who Shadowjams is.

Yes to the first point. On the second, I don't have your permission to openly share your opinion, do I?

QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Fri 4th June 2010, 3:13pm) *

Speaking of obvious socks, who the hell is this guy? Who creates a sock account to disambiguate the different meanings of "Lutyens"?

We should start a new forum called The Sock Drawer! Mods, whaddaya think? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
NuclearWarfare

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Fri 4th June 2010, 3:57pm) *
Okay, NW, so let's get it straight -- it is okay for a "banned" user to participate on WP as long as (1) he is not disruptive and (2) he doesn't run for adminship? This seems like a considerable deviation from established policy.

As long as Wikipedia has no meaningful way to stop these people from editing, then try to stop banned users from editing is pretty inefficient. Therefore, admins should concentrate on stopping only editors who remain disruptive after they begin editing again.

Sure, what I said is a deviation from current policy. It's just my opinion.
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

QUOTE(NuclearWarfare @ Fri 4th June 2010, 8:44pm) *

Sure, what I said is a deviation from current policy. It's just my opinion.

It is a nice opinion, to be certain, but it is not one that is shared by the checkuser fishing fleet.

As for Shadowjams, I believe that the person who owns that account is a member of the WR family. If I am correct, would that person care to raise their hand? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Killiondude

QUOTE(NuclearWarfare @ Fri 4th June 2010, 5:44pm) *

It's just my opinion.

I think there are a few admins and even checkusers who would agree with your opinion.

FinalRapture, for instance, is another user who admins and checkusers have turned a blind eye to, most likely because they are "constructively editing."
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)