FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Pete Burness - help! -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pete Burness - help!
A Horse With No Name

I have as much free time as a Wikipedia admin!

Group: Regulars

And yet another reason why you should never use Wikipedia for serious research purposes. I am doing an article on animated film and I needed to get background on Pete Burness, the director best known for his work on the Mr. Magoo cartoon series.

The Wikipedia article on Pete Burness: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_Burness

Pathetic stuff, isn't it? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/hrmph.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
GlassBeadGame

Dharma Bum

Group: Contributors
From: My name it means nothing. My age it means less. The country I come from is called the Mid-West.
Member No.: 981

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Tue 20th July 2010, 11:09am) *

And yet another reason why you should never use Wikipedia for serious research purposes. I am doing an article on animated film and I needed to get background on Pete Burness, the director best known for his work on the Mr. Magoo cartoon series.

The Wikipedia article on Pete Burness: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_Burness

Pathetic that you would turn to Wikipedia for "background."
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Tue 20th July 2010, 1:13pm) *

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Tue 20th July 2010, 11:09am) *

Pathetic that you would turn to Wikipedia for "background."

Well, how do you like that? You are capable of saying something that doesn't remind us of your fixation on Ottava! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/ermm.gif)

Seriously...while Wikipedia is worthless as a serious reference source, it should (in concept) serve some purpose as a thumbnail trivia site. I could have (and should have, it seems) looked up Pete Burness in the IMDb. I guess that I won't make that mistake again -- WP's film coverage is, on the whole, fairly weak.
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

Hmmm...don't know why this got moved down from "Articles" to "Annex," since it is a discussion about a specific article. Oh well. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
dogbiscuit

Could you run through Verifiability not Truth once more?

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,015

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Tue 20th July 2010, 7:10pm) *

Hmmm...don't know why this got moved down from "Articles" to "Annex," since it is a discussion about a specific article. Oh well. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/dry.gif)

I moved it under the "same old dross" rule.

If you are bothered about the quality of articles, then this is something that should be discussed on Wikipedia, on the assumption that Wikipedia is functional, don't clutter up WR with yet another example of Wikipedia being rubbish, it doesn't inform.
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Tue 20th July 2010, 2:17pm) *
If you are bothered about the quality of articles, then this is something that should be discussed on Wikipedia, on the assumption that Wikipedia is functional, don't clutter up WR with yet another example of Wikipedia being rubbish, it doesn't inform.

Ahem. Some of us are not welcome to share our opinions on Wikipedia. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/ermm.gif)

Considering WR is now cluttered up with about three-dozen discussions about Ottava, pedophilia, and Ottava's views on pedophilia, I was under the impression that we could shift gears and try to talk about a specific example of Wikipedia's contents. Obviously, I was mistaken.
+Quote Post
GlassBeadGame

Dharma Bum

Group: Contributors
From: My name it means nothing. My age it means less. The country I come from is called the Mid-West.
Member No.: 981

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Tue 20th July 2010, 12:24pm) *

Ahem. Some of us are not welcome to share our opinions on Wikipedia. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/ermm.gif)

Considering WR is now cluttered up with about three-dozen discussions about Ottava, pedophilia, and Ottava's views on pedophilia, I was under the impression that we could shift gears and try to talk about a specific example of Wikipedia's contents. Obviously, I was mistaken.

Could always return to the secondary sexual characteristics of women.
+Quote Post
dogbiscuit

Could you run through Verifiability not Truth once more?

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,015

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Tue 20th July 2010, 7:24pm) *

Considering WR is now cluttered up with about three-dozen discussions about Ottava, pedophilia, and Ottava's views on pedophilia, I was under the impression that we could shift gears and try to talk about a specific dysfunctional of Wikipedia's contents. Obviously, I was mistaken.

I missed a bit out, which was, that given that we are kind and generous souls who recognise that there is a dysfunctional community, the annex provides a place to discuss the things that belong on Wikipedia.

To be fair, there is a lot of stuff that is criticism that should sit within Wikipedia that the disfunctional community cannot cope with, but in principle the annex exists to filter out this particular crap.

Of course if we filtered out all the crap, there's only be 5 posts a week, so we have to have some flexibility in standards (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif)
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Tue 20th July 2010, 2:29pm) *

Could always return to the secondary sexual characteristics of women.

Now that's a conversation that I am ready to dive into! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/boing.gif)
+Quote Post
thekohser

It's interesting to see that the CorenSearchBot detected that this was potentially copyright violation material from AllMovie.

However, less than 4 hours later, a dutiful Wikipedian soon came along to sweep, sweep, sweep it under the rug.

At any rate, the AllMovie summary is far superior to Wikipedia.

Of course, Google seems to think that Wikipedia merits a #5 ranking, while AllMovie is blessed with a #103 ranking.

(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/sick.gif)
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

Gee, some kindly IP came along and fixed the Pete Burness article! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)

It seems that people actually read this stuff! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/wtf.gif)
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

Oh, this is really brilliant - not one but two (count 'em, two!) admins decided to jihad (or, in truth, G5) the article about Pete Burness. Why? Because a "blocked" user created it. (For the record, it wasn't me -- scroll up and you will see that I was the one who found it to be a mess and requested that someone clean it up.)

I think it is amazing that resident idiot Sandahl and overweight teen PeterSymonds removed all mention of the subject - an Academy Award-winning animator! It is ironic, since Mr. Magoo was created by John Hubley, who was blacklisted in the McCarthy era.

If there is anyone here who is not "blocked," can you please put Pete Burness back on Wikipedia? Here is the article that was cut.

In case you are wondering about my interest in this topic, I recently wrote a column about the Magoo cartoon "1001 Arabian Nights" and I am doing a new article this week on this Mr. Magoo classic:

This post has been edited by A Horse With No Name:
+Quote Post
Eva Destruction

Fat Cat

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Tue 7th September 2010, 9:20pm) *

Oh, this is really brilliant - not one but two (count 'em, two!) admins decided to jihad (or, in truth, G5) the article about Pete Burness. Why? Because a "blocked" user created it. (For the record, it wasn't me -- scroll up and you will see that I was the one who found it to be a mess and requested that someone clean it up.)

I think it is amazing that resident idiot Sandahl and overweight teen PeterSymonds removed all mention of the subject - an Academy Award-winning animator! It is ironic, since Mr. Magoo was created by John Hubley, who was blacklisted in the McCarthy era.

If there is anyone here who is not "blocked," can you please put Pete Burness back on Wikipedia? Here is the article that was cut.

It wasn't this thread that got it deleted; the original creator was this guy who had a long history of hoax articles. I'd say Wikipedia did the right thing for once in this case; if it's about a living person and there's a reasonable possibility that it's a hoax, it ought to be deleted unless and until someone demonstrates that it isn't.

This post has been edited by Eva Destruction:
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Tue 7th September 2010, 4:27pm) *

It wasn't this thread that got it deleted; the original creator was this guy who had a long history of hoax articles. I'd say Wikipedia did the right thing for once in this case; if it's about a living person and there's a reasonable possibility that it's a hoax, it ought to be deleted unless and until someone demonstrates that it isn't.

Pete Burness died in 1969 - this is not a BLP.

Here is a book bio that details Burness' Oscar-winning career.

Really, it takes 30 seconds to verify that the man existed and the article was not a joke. Can you or someone else please restore it? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/hrmph.gif)

This post has been edited by A Horse With No Name:
+Quote Post
Eva Destruction

Fat Cat

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Tue 7th September 2010, 9:33pm) *

QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Tue 7th September 2010, 4:27pm) *

Pete Burness died in 1969 - this is not a BLP.

Here is a book bio that details Burness' Oscar-winning career.

Really, it takes 30 seconds to verify that the man existed and the article was not a joke. Can you or someone else please restore it? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/hrmph.gif)

Give me a few minutes; I'll recreate it in a more informative state. To be honest, nobody would miss the two-liner that was deleted.
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Tue 7th September 2010, 4:42pm) *

Give me a few minutes; I'll recreate it in a more informative state. To be honest, nobody would miss the two-liner that was deleted.

You are a good person. Thank you! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Eva Destruction

Fat Cat

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Tue 7th September 2010, 9:44pm) *

I've filled it out with a stub cribbed from Who's Who in Animated Cartoons. Not great, but better than an empty space.
+Quote Post
Somey

Can't actually moderate (or even post)

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 275

QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Tue 7th September 2010, 4:03pm) *
I've filled it out with a stub cribbed from Who's Who in Animated Cartoons. Not great, but better than an empty space.

I agree that you're a good person and that this incident helps to prove it, but I'd be concerned that Mr. Horsey is now going to see you as his "go-to guy" for whenever he perceives a deletion travesty involving someone in the motion-picture industry...? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/unsure.gif)
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

QUOTE(Somey @ Wed 8th September 2010, 2:23am) *

QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Tue 7th September 2010, 4:03pm) *

I agree that you're a good person and that this incident helps to prove it, but I'd be concerned that Mr. Horsey is now going to see you as his "go-to guy" for whenever he perceives a deletion travesty involving someone in the motion-picture industry...? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/unsure.gif)

Don't be concerned, Mr. Somey. Like I said earlier, I've been doing some articles on the Mr. Magoo cartoons and I was pissed that Pete Burness (a long-overlooked genius in animation history) received such a shabby treatment from the Wikipediots. There are tons of mistakes and omissions over at the mothership, but this was the only one that concerned me. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Tue 7th September 2010, 5:03pm) *

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Tue 7th September 2010, 9:44pm) *

There are vital statistics from The New York Times, that are not included in Wikipedia yet, such as:

Died: July 21, 1969
Birthplace: Los Angeles, California

I would help out on this one, but KnightLago has f**ked over the IP address where I'm located.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)