FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Admin JPGordon, anyone know him? -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> Help

This forum is for discussing specific Wikipedia editors, editing patterns, and general efforts by those editors to influence or direct content in ways that might not be in keeping with Wikipedia policy. Please source your claims and provide links where appropriate. For a glossary of terms frequently used when discussing Wikipedia and related projects, please refer to Wikipedia:Glossary.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Admin JPGordon, anyone know him?
Web Fred

Pervert & Swinger

Group: Contributors
Member No.: 17,141

I've been monitoring an IP editor 27.100.16.185 (T-C-L-K-R-D) (from Hong Kong apparently) that popped up in DC's thread on ANI. The one Nobody Ent started a sub section on. The one who got blocked for giving out the search string to find Fae's details easily.

Apparently a series of admins have been giving him/her the run around on their talk page by accusing the IP of vandalism and harassment. The IP made some rather polite and factual unblock requests but got turned down and eventually got their talk page access removed.

It looks like the IP has jumped IPs to 64.9.146.160 (T-C-L-K-R-D) to add another unblock request, this was reverted by Jpgordon (T-C-L-K-R-D) with the strange edit summary "Jumping IPs to continue obnoxious behavior is not a good strategy".

So, to repeat the question asked in the 64.IP's edit summary "since when is making an unblock request obnoxious behaviour"?

Jpgordon has since semi-protected the page.

So who is this admin Jpgordon? Is he a well-known corrupt admin, a known pal of Fae, or just a fuckin' idiot.

It seems strange to me that this IP is prevented from giving damning evidence at ANI, then is effectively silenced on their own talk page. Now if I'd been smoking weed this week I would perhaps be seeing a conspiracy to shut this editor up.
  • The initial blocking admin was Thehelpfulone (T-C-L-K-R-D) .
  • The first unblock request was declined by Fred Bauder (T-C-L-K-R-D) (whose initial edits on that page were oversighted for some reason).
  • The second unblock request was declined by Tnxman307 (T-C-L-K-R-D) who also remove talk page access.
  • The third unblock request was reverted, per the above, by Jpgordon (T-C-L-K-R-D) who then semi-protected the page.

Nobody Ent tried to get the message out and someone else (can't remember who) tried to offer advice. As the page is semi-protected now I can't create a sock to start joining in and I don't have any sleepers I can use (I'm trying to be good to see if I can be ridiculed when I ask for my account back in 5 months).

So am I on my own here in thinking something fishy is going on?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

Group: Regulars

Josh is a moderately competent admin, one of the oldest. Not to say he hasn't pulled dirty tricks.

Bit of a nut.

BTW, he owns a really nice six-bedroom home in one of the better neighborhoods of Las Vegas.

This post has been edited by EricBarbour:
+Quote Post
Web Fred

Pervert & Swinger

QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Tue 31st January 2012, 1:32am) *

Josh is a moderately competent admin, one of the oldest. Not to say he hasn't pulled dirty tricks.

Bit of a nut.

Ah, he probably thought the numbers added up to something demonic.

BTW, he owns a really nice six-bedroom home in one of the better neighborhoods of Las Vegas.

I wish we could get houses that size for that value. In a similar neighbourhood in a similar city you'd be looking £2.5m+ easily.
+Quote Post
lilburne

Chameleon

QUOTE(Cunningly Linguistic @ Tue 31st January 2012, 1:22am) *

I've been monitoring an IP editor 27.100.16.185 (T-C-L-K-R-D) (from Hong Kong apparently) that popped up in DC's thread on ANI. The one Nobody Ent started a sub section on. The one who got blocked for giving out the search string to find Fae's details easily.

Ashley Van Haeften is not a common name it will trigger on any people search website.
+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

If it matters, I've classed Josh as an "evil patroller", as he seems to enjoy blocking people. Usually as a favor to other patrollers who don't want to "dirty their hands".
+Quote Post
Web Fred

Pervert & Swinger

QUOTE(lilburne @ Tue 31st January 2012, 1:59am) *

QUOTE(Cunningly Linguistic @ Tue 31st January 2012, 1:22am) *

Ashley Van Haeften is not a common name it will trigger on any people search website.

Before they revdeled it the string was ' "ashley van haeften" telephone "whois" ' the first item on the first page gave the full details of the zgay domain therefore disproving that DC used "nefarious" methods and caches to get the details. One easily thought up string gave the results without knowing the domain name first. But for some reason all that was revdeled and the editor blocked.

AVH must be working overtime getting folks to do him favours, but I seem to recall that was an accusation made of him on this very forum (either that or his Commons RfA debacle), his ability to get people to do things for him.

QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Tue 31st January 2012, 2:22am) *

If it matters, I've classed Josh as an "evil patroller", as he seems to enjoy blocking people. Usually as a favor to other patrollers who don't want to "dirty their hands".

Ah, must be losing his sex drive and needs to feel manly then. A common problem of middle-aged men.

This post has been edited by Cunningly Linguistic:
+Quote Post
Cla68

Postmaster

Bit of a nut.

Was it JPGordon who played sax for Oingo Boingo?
+Quote Post
Vigilant

QUOTE(Cla68 @ Tue 31st January 2012, 4:25am) *

Bit of a nut.

It's a dead man's party
who could ask for more...
+Quote Post
gomi

Group: Members

QUOTE(Cunningly Linguistic @ Mon 30th January 2012, 5:22pm) *
So who is this admin Jpgordon? Is he a well-known corrupt admin, a known pal of Fae, or just a fuckin' idiot.

Two out of three, at least. If not corrupt, he has a quick finger on the block button. He's a "defend the Wiki" type, which generally means mental-defective. In his case, he made some dot-com money and is retired to Vegas, so he's unassailable. The heart of the Cabal, really.
+Quote Post
Heat

Tenured

Bit of a nut.

Jayjg's proxy and goto guy since he lost his CU powers, seems to enjoy the Javert style anal retentive whack-a-mole aspect of "sock hunting" ie he's quite willing to ban under the radar productive accounts because they stole a loaf of bread years ago where other functionaries might cast a blind eye.

This post has been edited by Heat:
+Quote Post
MookieZ

QUOTE(Cla68 @ Mon 30th January 2012, 11:25pm) *

Bit of a nut.

Trumpet, I believe.
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Mon 30th January 2012, 9:22pm) *

He's blocked Darolyn Coran.

And he's blocked an entire skyscraper in Philadelphia, with about 3,000 Internet-connected workstations in it.
+Quote Post
Cla68

Postmaster

QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 31st January 2012, 3:31pm) *

QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Mon 30th January 2012, 9:22pm) *

And he's blocked an entire skyscraper in Philadelphia, with about 3,000 Internet-connected workstations in it.

I assume that skyscraper is where your office is located? That reminds me of David Gerard range blocking an entire neighborhood in Utah in an attempt to silence WordBomb.
+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

QUOTE(Heat @ Mon 30th January 2012, 9:51pm) *

Jayjg's proxy and goto guy since he lost his CU powers

Proof of him working with Jay is always welcome.
+Quote Post
Fusion

That was over three years ago. Further, he gave a reason, that this Darolyn Coran was you. Was it? If so, he was surely not acting wrongly. If not, then of course it was shockingly bad.
+Quote Post
Abd

Postmaster

Member No.: 9,019

QUOTE(Fusion @ Wed 1st February 2012, 7:36am) *
That was over three years ago. Further, he gave a reason, that this Darolyn Coran was you. Was it? If so, he was surely not acting wrongly. If not, then of course it was shockingly bad.
I don't see that Thekohser said it was bad. Was it, Greg?
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(Abd @ Wed 1st February 2012, 9:57am) *

That account created the Wikipedia article Strategic studies, which has gone on to garner about 23,000 page views. Clearly useful content to the encyclopedia project, then. Who knows what other great and useful new articles Darolyn Coran would have gone on to create -- but we'll never know, because JPGordon snuffed her out, with a figurative gun-blast to the chest, only 4 days after she was born.

Seems sadistic to me... not just "bad".
+Quote Post
Abd

Postmaster

Member No.: 9,019

QUOTE(thekohser @ Wed 1st February 2012, 11:55am) *
QUOTE(Abd @ Wed 1st February 2012, 9:57am) *
That account created the Wikipedia article Strategic studies, which has gone on to garner about 23,000 page views. Clearly useful content to the encyclopedia project, then. Who knows what other great and useful new articles Darolyn Coran would have gone on to create -- but we'll never know, because JPGordon snuffed her out, with a figurative gun-blast to the chest, only 4 days after she was born.

Seems sadistic to me... not just "bad".
Okay, "sadistic" sounds like Bad to me. So, you are claiming that for an administrator to enforce a block that is in place, by blocking a block-evading account, is "sadistic"?

You're pulling my leg, right? I mean, the Wikipedia policy is stupid, poorly-conceived, and the admin is enforcing a stupid and ill-conceived policy, that damages the project, but "sadistic"? "Gun-blast to the chest? Geez, Moulton's back, in spirit if not actually.

I'm getting that, yes, Darolyn Coran is you. The IP was you, editing from work at Comcast, right? Carolyn Doran is, of course, a name of interest, eh? Greg, "sadistic" means taking pleasure from the pain of others. Who was pained by the block? Surely not "Darolyn Coran," and surely not you, you obviously expected it.

Look, they set substantial range blocks to stop my positive contributions -- there were no complaints about the contributions themselves, and many of them stood or were reverted back in -- but I never claimed that the admins blocking were, ipso facto, abusive. A few went too far, and that came out, and exposing those excesses was part of my motive, but simply enforcing their understanding of policy, no. Not abusive. Just stupid.
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

I have as much free time as a Wikipedia admin!

QUOTE(Abd @ Wed 1st February 2012, 12:43pm) *

You're pulling my leg, right?

Well, let's hope he's not pulling something else. Mmmm...kinky! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/evilgrin.gif)
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(Abd @ Wed 1st February 2012, 12:43pm) *

The IP was you, editing from work at Comcast, right?

No, that is not correct. That's a residential IP address.

You were pretty much right on all other things in the above post. I'm mocking the system, and I am not truly of the belief that admins who are loyally obeying the silly system are "sadistic".
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)