FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Town Sheriff -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> Town Sheriff
Herschelkrustofsky

Group: Members
Member No.: 130

There's a new function being proposed called Wikipedia:Town sheriff. It's not clear to me whether this will have a net negative or positive impact. The one detail which is bound to be a sticking point is "Sheriffs who are appointed to a page may be removed the same way, by a consensus of the community."
Your thoughts?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Kelly Martin

Bring back the guttersnipes!

Group: Regulars
Member No.: 6,696

"Requests for Sheriffcy"? Yet another jargon term; I've never heard of such a term and a Googling for it reveals a tiny scattering of hits, mostly pages saying that there's no such word.
+Quote Post
Cedric

General Gato

Member No.: 1,116

QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Thu 10th February 2011, 7:53am) *

"Requests for Sheriffcy"? Yet another jargon term; I've never heard of such a term and a Googling for it reveals a tiny scattering of hits, mostly pages saying that there's no such word.

Bah. It should be labeled "Requests for Ensheriffment". Another non-existent word that is even more pretentious, and therefore perfect for Wikipedia, the let's-pretend encyclopedia. No Google hits at all. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/happy.gif)
+Quote Post
Herschelkrustofsky

Group: Members
Member No.: 130

QUOTE(Cedric @ Thu 10th February 2011, 8:03pm) *

Bah. It should be labeled "Requests for Ensheriffment".
I still like this one. But I might also offer "Sheriffication" or WP:S.
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

Known alias of J. Random Troll

QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Sat 5th March 2011, 3:42pm) *

QUOTE(Cedric @ Thu 10th February 2011, 8:03pm) *

Bah. It should be labeled "Requests for Ensheriffment".
I still like this one. But I might also offer "Sheriffication" or WP:S.

Trivia: we might note in passing that the very idea of "town sheriff" is an oxymoron. Sheriffs and their deputies (at least for the past few centuries) are in charge of law enforcement at the county level, never town level. Which means alongside city-cops inside cities and towns, and alongside state troopers on state and federal highways, but "by themselves" primarily off-highway in the unincorporated county BETWEEN towns and cities.

The word they really wanted here, was "marshal." Which was once employed both at the town and federal state and territorial level. I guess they wanted the Old West feel of "sheriff," but forgot that in the old west, sheriff also was a county position, even though of course the sheriff always had his offices in some town (nobody expected him to live out in the sagebrush, even if he often worked there). Usually the sheriff had offices in the county seat (or territorial seat if it was a territory) and his deputies in other major cities of the county.

I personally lay blame for this bit of dunderheadedness entirely on 20 years of TV's Gun Smoke. Poor Marshal Dillon has to do not only the U.S. marshal job for Kansas, but the city marshal job for Dodge also. And despite the fact that Dodge City is a county seat, we never see hide nor hair of the Ford Co. sheriff, either. Bleh. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/confused.gif)
+Quote Post
Kelly Martin

Bring back the guttersnipes!

Member No.: 6,696

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Sat 5th March 2011, 5:14pm) *
Trivia: we might note in passing that the very idea of "town sheriff" is an oxymoron. Sheriffs and their deputies (at least for the past few centuries) are in charge of law enforcement at the county level, never town level. Which means alongside city-cops inside cities and towns, and alongside state troopers on state and federal highways, but "by themselves" primarily off-highway in the unincorporated county BETWEEN towns and cities.

The word they really wanted here, was "marshal." Which was once employed both at the town and federal state and territorial level. I guess they wanted the Old West feel of "sheriff," but forgot that in the old west, sheriff also was a county position, even though of course the sheriff always had his offices in some town (nobody expected him to live out in the sagebrush, even if he often worked there). Usually the sheriff had offices in the county seat (or territorial seat if it was a territory) and his deputies in other major cities of the county.
Indeed, the term "sheriff" is itself a corruption of "shire reeve", where a "shire" is an ancient unit of government in England roughly comparable to what we in the US call a county (why we call them "counties" and not "shires" here is itself a long and convoluted story), and a "reeve" is a generic term for an official. The term itself predates the Norman conquest of England and came to the United States loaded with literally centuries of cultural and legal baggage, none of which I suspect was known to the proposers of this notion even though Wikipedia has half-way decent coverage of it in its articles on "sheriff", "shire", "county", and "reeve".

Sheriffs often provided law enforcement in the small Western towns of the US in the 19th century for the simple reason that either (a) those hamlets had not formally incorporated and thus had no authority to employ a marshal or (b) the town was too poor to, or simply unwilling to, employ a marshal. The sheriff's duty to enforce the law throughout the county which is his charge is not ordinarily abated in incorporated places within the county.
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

Known alias of J. Random Troll

QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Sat 5th March 2011, 5:02pm) *

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Sat 5th March 2011, 5:14pm) *

Indeed, the term "sheriff" is itself a corruption of "shire reeve", where a "shire" is an ancient unit of government in England roughly comparable to what we in the US call a county (why we call them "counties" and not "shires" here is itself a long and convoluted story), and a "reeve" is a generic term for an official. The term itself predates the Norman conquest of England and came to the United States loaded with literally centuries of cultural and legal baggage, none of which I suspect was known to the proposers of this notion even though Wikipedia has half-way decent coverage of it in its articles on "sheriff", "shire", "county", and "reeve".

Sheriffs often provided law enforcement in the small Western towns of the US in the 19th century for the simple reason that either (a) those hamlets had not formally incorporated and thus had no authority to employ a marshal or (b) the town was too poor to, or simply unwilling to, employ a marshal. The sheriff's duty to enforce the law throughout the county which is his charge is not ordinarily abated in incorporated places within the county.

Appears you missed my riff on be-reeve-ment above.

But yes, some towns in the US were too small to pay for their own marshal or constable and had to rely on the nearest sheriff. But nobody ever called that guy a "town sheriff". That phrase requires a tin ear for history. It has the sound of one of those words that comes out of dime novels like "riding shotgun" or "gunslinger" that were made up by writers a long time later, but never used by people living in the place and period in question. Can you imagine Marshal Dillon saying: "Yo, homie. What up?"

Did you know that villain has the same root as village? And even ultimately, villa? The idea is basically a peasant or serf who worked around the lord's villa, but didn't own the villa or any land, and thus was not likely to be "chivalrous." In other words, (see root of chivalry) did not have a high horse to get up on. It's pretty much the same idea as editor/peon vs administrator/noble. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif) Wikipedia has a good article on the etymology. Wonder if it was written by an admin?
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Herschelkrustofsky   Town Sheriff  
Kelly Martin   It looks like someone wants something that's m...  
Kevin   There's a new function being proposed called ...  
SB_Johnny   There's a new function being proposed called ...  
Milton Roe   "Requests for Sheriffcy"? Yet another...  
bi-winning   "Requests for Sheriffcy"? Yet another ...  
Somey   "Sheriffship" sounds better to me, and G...  
Jon Awbrey   10qLYy6hiFQ Sanger insisted on deputizing “...  
lilburne   The project is screwed because it has no focus, a ...  
SB_Johnny   The project is screwed because it has no focus, a...  
thekohser   Sound like a great idea, once they define "co...  
Zoloft   Community would be defined as a shy garage attenda...  
Milton Roe   Community would be defined as a shy garage attend...  
A Horse With No Name   There's a new function being proposed called ...  
Jaranda   I don't see it working, it's a stereotype ...  
Herschelkrustofsky   Will they be sporting a tin barnstar?  
Lar   Seems a bad idea to me but I could be confused.  
Sylar   They should also appoint town outlaws and grant th...  
Text   Everyone on Wikipedia is a sheriff without guns to...  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)