FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Slim and Will put the smackdown on LaRouche -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> Discussions in this subforum are hidden from search engines.

However, they are not hidden from automobile engines, including the newer, more "environmentally-friendly" electric and hybrid engines. Also, please note that this subforum is meant to be used for discussion of the actual biographical articles themselves; more generalized discussions of BLP policy should be posted in the General Discussion or Bureaucracy forums.

> Slim and Will put the smackdown on LaRouche, was: SlimVirgin, back with a vengeance
Herschelkrustofsky

Group: Members
Member No.: 130

The "old" SlimVirgin is back. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/popcorn.gif)

Gone is the chastened, relatively civil, law-abiding SV. Over the past days, she has unleashed a torrential flood of edits on a subject dear to her heart, Lyndon LaRouche (T-H-L-K-D). Her rich palette of POV editing tactics, including intimidation and confusing and misleading edit summaries, is in play (for example, when adding some guy to the lead that says LaRouche is a fascist, her edit summary is "some tidying.") And, she has renewed her tag-team vows with Will Beback. They are so sweet when proclaiming that the two of them have together found "consensus." Was it good for you?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Herschelkrustofsky

All kinds of interesting people are showing up now at the LaRouche articles, including LaRouche planet (T-C-L-K-R-D) , whom I believe to be a sock of Dennis King. I notice that next to his edits in article history, a little notice shows up that says "(Tag: possible conflict of interest)". I've never seen that one before. Is it because he is linking to a website called "LaRouche planet"?
+Quote Post
Cla68

Postmaster

Group: Regulars

QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Wed 4th November 2009, 3:56pm) *

All kinds of interesting people are showing up now at the LaRouche articles, including LaRouche planet (T-C-L-K-R-D) , whom I believe to be a sock of Dennis King. I notice that next to his edits in article history, a little notice shows up that says "(Tag: possible conflict of interest)". I've never seen that one before. Is it because he is linking to a website called "LaRouche planet"?

I reported it to GWH. By the way, Jayen and SV appear to be collaborating effectively on the Duggan article. If could be that SV is trying to adjust the Duggan article to justify including mention of it in the LaRouche BLP. Is so, she has a ways to go.

This post has been edited by Cla68:
+Quote Post
Herschelkrustofsky

QUOTE(Cla68 @ Wed 4th November 2009, 4:07pm) *

By the way, Jayen and SV appear to be collaborating effectively on the Duggan article.
SV is biding her time. When the moment is right, the stiletto will come out.
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

Known alias of J. Random Troll

QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Thu 5th November 2009, 12:30am) *

QUOTE(Cla68 @ Wed 4th November 2009, 4:07pm) *

By the way, Jayen and SV appear to be collaborating effectively on the Duggan article.
SV is biding her time. When the moment is right, the stiletto will come out.

What a mess this article is:

The British inquest heard from a psychiatrist that Duggan had no history of mental illness. His mother told the court she believed he had been the victim of a recruiting technique used within the LaRouche movement known as "ego stripping," in which recruits are made to doubt all their basic beliefs. A psychiatrist testified that a severe stress reaction can be caused by a rapid change in a person's belief system.[5][20]

Ref 20 (Mintz) is a to an article in a newspaper from 1985, and it's used as cite for testimony by a psychologist in the Duggan case about "ego stripping." Duggan was 5 years old in 1985, and the article doesn't mention ego stripping. While it may be read to suggest something about stress reactions in response to belief changes, it's relevant to the sentence it's used as a cite for, only if the psychologist mentioned THIS article in his testimony. Otherwise, it's WP:SYN by the WP article's author, trying to provide a 1985 news article reference which is vaguely about the same thing.

Sigh. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
It's the blimp, Frank

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Thu 5th November 2009, 6:24pm) *

What a mess this article is:

The British inquest heard from a psychiatrist that Duggan had no history of mental illness. His mother told the court she believed he had been the victim of a recruiting technique used within the LaRouche movement known as "ego stripping," in which recruits are made to doubt all their basic beliefs. A psychiatrist testified that a severe stress reaction can be caused by a rapid change in a person's belief system.[5][20]

Ref 20 (Mintz) is a to an article in a newspaper from 1985, and it's used as cite for testimony by a psychologist in the Duggan case about "ego stripping." Duggan was 5 years old in 1985, and the article doesn't mention ego stripping. While it may be read to suggest something about stress reactions in response to belief changes, it's relevant to the sentence it's used as a cite for, only if the psychologist mentioned THIS article in his testimony. Otherwise, it's WP:SYN by the WP article's author, trying to provide a 1985 news article reference which is vaguely about the same thing.

Sigh. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/sad.gif)
They are arguing about that point on the talk page. Slim is using the argument that "the Times bone's connected to the... Post bone," etc.
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

Known alias of J. Random Troll

QUOTE(It's the blimp, Frank @ Thu 5th November 2009, 11:51am) *

They are arguing about that point on the talk page. Slim is using the argument that "the Times bone's connected to the... Post bone," etc.

Yeah, in her own mind. And it's an interesting connection, too, if Slim were writing an original essay on the subject. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/hrmph.gif)

The model for the death of Jeremiah Duggan is getting to be more and more like the Moon Landing Conspiracy Theories article, except without the moon landing article. Why not just call it the Jeremiah Duggan conspiracy theories article and be done with it? Like the JFK assassination, you know there IS an official view of this matter. Should it not have its own article?

The real problem is that there are any number of conspiracy theories about how Duggan died, and they don't even agree with each other, much less the forensic evidence. There are people who think the LaRouchies beat the crap out of Duggan, despite his mother getting a phone call 45 mintutes before he was dead on the highway, in which he fails to mention anybody doing anything to HIM. Nor does depositing Duggan on the highway fit with the drivers of the cars who hit him, saying he ran in front of them. Are they all in on the conspiracy also?

As with conspiracy theories everywhere (including the moon landing and the JFK crowd of other gunman), the conspiracy people, if not required to put down their own theories, are accorded the privileged position of sitting on the sidelines and simply sniping, piecemeal, at the "official" theory. Without having to lay out any complete alternative hypotheses. An article like this one is the perfect venue which allows that. It's the "official version" plus a bunch of people taking potshots at it, without having to play the game fairly.

Look, Neil Armstrong's suit doesn't cast the right shadow! Okay, put that fact in the Apollo Space Program Wiki.
+Quote Post
Hell Freezes Over

Group: Contributors

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Thu 5th November 2009, 7:27pm) *

Look, Neil Armstrong's suit doesn't cast the right shadow! Okay, put that fact in the Apollo Space Program Wiki.

There is no conspiracy theory, except in the sense that the family's fears about what happened to their son are based (in part) on having read LaRouche's conspiracy theories about Brits, Jews, and the Tavistock Institute. The issue is simple. An apparently stable, happy, young British Jew, who was in love, had lots of friends, enjoyed his studies, had plans for the future, and had no history of mental illness, suddenly appears to have committed suicide after making bizarre early-morning phone calls to his mother and girlfriend, during which he sounded incoherent and frightened. This took place while he was attending a training school for members of a political cult that is widely regarded as antisemitic and dangerous. The German police conducted no autopsy, took no signed witness statements, and burned his clothes without an investigation. They declared it a suicide according to their legal definition of that term, which the prosecutor explains in the article.

One of the things this cult is known for is its so-called "psycho sessions" with members, during which they try to destroy the member's personality structure. The theory is that it's easier to insert new ideas into minds that are undergoing some kind of psychotic breakdown. See the Washington Post article about Duggan's death that mentions these sessions and an earlier New York Times article written by a reporter who heard a tape recording of one of them (payment required). Another thing the cult is known for is its distrust of three things Duggan represented: Brits (regarded as the epitome of evil), Jews, and people who've been involved with the Tavistock Institute in London. Duggan had received family therapy at the related Tavistock Clinic when he was seven and his parents were divorcing. He didn't realize the implications of sharing this information with the activists. LaRouche believes the Tavistock is a brainwashing center, and that Brits have been brainwashed to kill him.

It was a British man accused of having been brainwashed to kill LaRouche who was put through the "psycho session" the New York Times writes about above. In 1999, LaRouche said the British royal family or MI6 was planning to assassinate him. One of the LaRouche recruiters in Wiesbaden where Duggan died (this recruiter is based in one of the California LaRouche offices were HK works) told LaRouche activists after Duggan's death that Duggan had been brainwashed and was a danger to the movement.

I experienced the LaRouche focus on Brits and Jews myself when I started editing those articles. They believed I was British and Jewish, and Herschelkrustofksy's socks started posting on WP that I was editing to protect the British royal family. He continued this on the early Wikipedia Review forum, where he became part of an unholy alliance with Poetlister, BlissyU2 and Daniel Brandt in accusing me of being a British agent provocateur or intelligence agent, with many months of discussion about whether I was Jewish and what it all meant. This is what the LaRouche activists do. They blacken people who criticize LaRouche, invariably deciding they're "agents" of some evil higher power. Now HK, a LaRouche employee for 30 years, is a staff member of this site, and is allowed to continue doing it with impunity.

Don't believe a word he says about any of this. Jeremiah Duggan died in odd circumstances during a LaRouche training course, and his British/Jewish/Tavistock profile may or may not have been relevant to his death. His family, and at least 96 British MPs from all the major parties, want to know what happened to him during the six days he was with the LaRouche activists before he died. It's a perfectly reasonable enquiry.

This post has been edited by Hell Freezes Over:
+Quote Post
Somey

Can't actually moderate (or even post)

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 275

QUOTE(Hell Freezes Over @ Thu 5th November 2009, 6:35pm) *
I experienced the LaRouche focus on Brits and Jews myself when I started editing those articles... (snip)

Is that really surprising, though, considering your rather obvious feelings towards the subject(s) in question? I doubt anyone would say you've been losing the war, so to speak.

Don't believe a word he says about any of this. ... It's a perfectly reasonable enquiry.

But is is an appropriate subject for a supposedly "neutral" encyclopedia? It doesn't look that way to me, and I'm much more inclined to agree with you on the not-so-nice intentions of the LaRouche organization than you might think.

The word "temperance" doesn't always apply to the consumption of alcohol, you know!
+Quote Post
Hell Freezes Over

QUOTE(Somey @ Fri 6th November 2009, 12:49am) *

QUOTE(Hell Freezes Over @ Thu 5th November 2009, 6:35pm) *
I experienced the LaRouche focus on Brits and Jews myself when I started editing those articles... (snip)

Is that really surprising, though, considering your rather obvious feelings towards the subject(s) in question? I doubt anyone would say you've been losing the war, so to speak.

The point is that there wasn't simply opposition or criticism. HK set out to destroy me, focusing on (as he believed) my being British or Jewish, with claims about me being an agent of some kind. This is what they always do. It's never "We disagree," or "have you considered this argument." It's always, "SlimVirgin was spotted in 1972 at a dinner party attended by a former chief rabbi of Israel who, interestingly, was a student of the wife of a psychiatrist who trained at the Tavistock Institute, and who once had as a patient the next-door neighbour of a man whose dog became the head of MI6. THEREFORE ..."

But is is an appropriate subject for a supposedly "neutral" encyclopedia? It doesn't look that way to me, and I'm much more inclined to agree with you on the not-so-nice intentions of the LaRouche organization than you might think.

I really don't see why not. It has been the subject of multiple court hearings in two countries, and long articles or extended news segments by high-quality newspapers in several countries, including the BBC's Newsnight. I think a reader who looked it up on WP would be surprised not to find an article.

+Quote Post
gomi

QUOTE(Hell Freezes Over @ Thu 5th November 2009, 5:05pm) *
... HK set out to destroy me, focusing on (as he believed) my being British or Jewish, with claims about me being an agent of some kind. This is what they always do. It's never "We disagree," or "have you considered this argument."

Let's see, Slim. HK wants to destroy you for his LaRouchie reasons, and I want to destroy you for ... I forget now, but you've said it. And Lar wants to destroy you, and how many others want to destroy you? Dozens? Hundreds? And each for their own specific reasons.

Ask yourself, what is the common denominator here? Perhaps it is that your version of "adding criticism" to some articles and "tidying" the criticism out of other articles that you like is (correctly) perceived by editor after editor after editor as being the most pernicious, virulent disinformation present in the so-called encyclopedia. And your never-ending cries of personal persecution, calculated so skillfully for each audience, ring hollow in that context.
+Quote Post
Hell Freezes Over

QUOTE(gomi @ Fri 6th November 2009, 2:05am) *

Let's see, Slim. HK wants to destroy you for his LaRouchie reasons, and I want to destroy you for ... I forget now, but you've said it. And Lar wants to destroy you, and how many others want to destroy you? Dozens? Hundreds? And each for their own specific reasons.

Ask yourself, what is the common denominator here? Perhaps it is that your version of "adding criticism" to some articles and "tidying" the criticism out of other articles that you like is (correctly) perceived by editor after editor after editor as being the most pernicious, virulent disinformation present in the so-called encyclopedia. And your never-ending cries of personal persecution, calculated so skillfully for each audience, ring hollow in that context.

I have never said that Lar wanted to "destroy" me. But a series of banned editors -- HK, Poetlister, BlissyU2, Daniel Brandt, Igor Alexander (User:Amalekite), then you -- most certainly did, each for your own reasons (you, because it was me who blocked you). As I said, an unholy alliance.

Regardless of that, the fact remains that you have as a staff member -- with access to all the IP addresses of people who post here -- a long-time employee of a very unpleasant, far-right cult that specializes in propaganda, who is using this site not only to attack editors who've edited about LaRouche in ways that displease him, but also to try to persuade other editors to join in the editing on his side. It doesn't exactly enhance your reputation, and you know full well that the only reason you support it is because I'm one of his targets, and one of yours too.

+Quote Post
gomi

QUOTE(Hell Freezes Over @ Thu 5th November 2009, 6:23pm) *
you have as a staff member -- with access to all the IP addresses of people who post here -- a long-time employee of a very unpleasant, ... cult that specializes in propaganda ...

How about that! The very same words apply to your association with Wikipedia! Who'd a thunk it! (Though I suppose that your access to IP information was momentarily disrupted with Jayjg was defrocked.)

I think you've proven my point, though: the "people who want SlimVirgin removed from Wikipedia" club would need a stadium to hold a meeting. That's not Hersch's fault, it's yours. And as far as Hersch's politics, I disagree with them, but that doesn't mean he's wrong in thinking that you're a menace. I contain multitudes.
+Quote Post
Cla68

Postmaster

Of course it makes sense that anyone who edits Wikipedia as a pasttime or hobby woud want to do so in topic areas that interest them. It appears, SV, that you have a particular interest, besides animal rights, with Israel and anti-Semitism. The problem is that you appear to be too emotionally involved to edit those topics, especially the latter, with much objectivity.

Like I said before, I give Dennis King and Chip Berlet some credit for being open and honest about why they edit LaRouche in Wikipedia. Both are very clear, and give no pretense, that they think LaRouche and his ideas are dangerous and need to be discredited, including in Wikipedia. In contrast, however, to them you try to pretend that you don't have an anti-LaRouche agenda.

Another example: people spent a lot of time over several years trying to rein-in Jayjg's POV pushing in Israel-related topics. The ArbCom finally stepped in and sanctioned him which appears to have been effective in finally ending the problems that he was causing, at least for now. The problem is, as far as I can see, you never tried to get him to stop it even though you all worked together on many articles. In fact, you often defended him and in many cases helped him push a pro-Israel POV. Were you the one that originally changed the Martin Luther article to make it sound like Luther was the inspiration for the Nazi movement?

The same thing is happening here with LaRouche. You're POV pushing while trying to pretend that you're not. You can't completely blame HK for this situation. Most of us here readily agree with you that HK was POV-pushing for LaRouche in Wikipedia. Most of us also agree that you are POV-pushing in that topic area also. Can you hear what we are saying?
+Quote Post
Hell Freezes Over

QUOTE(Cla68 @ Fri 6th November 2009, 2:53am) *

The same thing is happening here with LaRouche. You're POV pushing while trying to pretend that you're not.

Perhaps you could respond to my post above about the Duggan article. NPOV on Wikipedia means we try to represent the majority and significant-minority positions as published by reliable sources. Given that, where is the POV pushing on the Duggan article? If you read the article and the sources carefully, you'll find it's entirely representative of them. If you were to do the same with Lyndon LaRouche, you'd find that the article is a great deal softer on LaRouche than the sources are, which it ought not to be. The lead, for example, is absurdly pro-LaRouche, but for one third of a sentence at the end, a violation of WP:LEAD.

It's easy to criticize. It's a lot harder to read the source material. It takes ages and it's dull, but if you don't do it, you're not in a position to offer an informed comment. If you do read it, you'll see that the balance of the LaRouche articles still swings too far in LaRouche's favor.
+Quote Post
Herschelkrustofsky

I'm going to abandon my usual terse posting style, and veer dangerously into tldr territory, so that I can address a number of comments specifically to SV. She will then proceed to evade them.

QUOTE(Hell Freezes Over @ Thu 5th November 2009, 6:23pm) *

I have never said that Lar wanted to "destroy" me. But a series of banned editors -- HK, Poetlister, BlissyU2, Daniel Brandt, Igor Alexander (User:Amalekite), then you -- most certainly did, each for your own reasons (you, because it was me who blocked you). As I said, an unholy alliance.
Spoken like the archetypical paranoid conspiracy theorist. Slim, the truth here is remarkably simple: you have edited Wikipedia with a supercilious tone and dishonest tactics, and you have pissed off more people than you can shake a stick at. End of story, no conspiracy required to explain the phenomenon.

QUOTE(Hell Freezes Over @ Thu 5th November 2009, 8:31pm) *

It's easy to criticize. It's a lot harder to read the source material. It takes ages and it's dull, but if you don't do it, you're not in a position to offer an informed comment. If you do read it, you'll see that the balance of the LaRouche articles still swings too far in LaRouche's favor.
The fact of the matter is, Slim, that you have done very little actual research on this topic. You have simply immersed yourself in the Chip Berlet/Dennis King conspiracy theories, and I for one believe that you are too clever to actually believe them, but instead you simply retail them for tactical purposes. (I sometimes wonder whether Berlet and King believe those theories themselves, although my brief interaction with Berlet during my time at WP convinced me that he is a semi-literate dunderhead.) There is far more extensive, and honest, coverage of LaRouche in other parts of the world, so you and Will are simply adopting a tactic of a sort of nervous, feigned xenophobia with respect to those sources.

I am very well-informed about the LaRouche organization, and with an insider's perspective, although in a way that is probably quite unlike what you imagine it to be. LaRouche is notable and controversial for one reason only, which is his economic theories. Those theories are the basis for all the attacks on him, although the attacks never address the theories directly, and always use the Straw man (T-H-L-K-D) tactic. Quite simply, LaRouche is the only contemporary economist to present a fully developed alternative to the presently hegemonic model of globalization, "free trade" and untrammeled speculation (ironically, the one member of the Review who has a totally legitimate basis for disagreement with LaRouche is Milton Roe, who has been quite restrained in his criticism.) LaRouche's message, in a nutshell, has been consistent since the 60s: if we phase out productive activity in industry and agriculture, and replace it with financial speculation, we will get a series of bubbles, which will collapse, and the promoters of the bubble economy will then demand draconian cuts in the living standards of the populace, insisting that the fictitious value of the financial paper must take precedence -- welcome to 2009.

Now, the model which LaRouche opposes, which became dominant across the political spectrum in the U.S. after the death of FDR, is British: not in some stupid ethnic sense, but in the sense that there is a clearly defined British school of thought that encompasses both political economy and philosophy. It includes monetarism, Keynesianism, Malthusianism, "Laissez-faire," geopolitics, and utilitarianism. In the post-WWII U.S., both political parties embraced the dismantling of the entire edifice of regulation that was crafted during the FDR period. Both parties facilitated the de-industrialization of the economy and the shift to a "service" (read "speculator's") economy. There was a time when both parties would have rejected these developments. Instead, both parties marched in lock-step down the path which lead to the present collapse, and LaRouche was the voice in the wilderness warning about the consequences. He constantly referred to those periods of our history during which we rejected the British ideology (including, obviously enough, the American Revolution, which was in fact fought over ideas, not some sort of parochial, pragmatic concerns.) He became a problem for the faction which was promoting this shift.

So, they didn't want to debate him, because that would only draw attention to ideas that they wanted to exclude altogether from the public consciousness. So, they went with the straw man approach. Ironically, this is what got me interested. Long before Berlet and King began producing their slanders, there was a little pamphlet that was circulated nationwide on campuses around 1975. It was called "NCLC: Brownshirts of the 70s," published anonymously, and written in such a transparently propagandistic style that it piqued my curiosity. What sort of organization was this, that we were warned never to listen to its ideas, but instead advised to simply physically attack its activists at every opportunity? King and Berlet are marginally more sophisticated than that, but the same tactics are employed. Attention WP admins: only you can read John Train Salon (T-H-L-K-D), which was deleted, not redirected, and I believe at Slim's instigation (the talk page is of historical interest because it contains Slim's opening attack on Daniel Brandt.)

I can't seem to address this very succinctly. If LaRouche were what Slim claims he is, he never would have received this much hostile attention. If he were a Sun Myung Moon-like cult leader, he would probably control a mainstream media empire comparable to Moon's, and be wooed by establishment figures. If he were a financial fraudster, he might have spent one year at Club Fed and wound up teaching at UCLA like Michael Milken. If he were a right-wing conspiracy monger, he would be largely ignored like the John Birch Society. The truth is that he is targeted here for the same economic theories that are increasingly making him into a celebrity in Russia and China. And I suspect that Slim has some inkling that this is the case.
+Quote Post
Mackan

QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Fri 6th November 2009, 7:46am) *

If LaRouche were what Slim claims he is, he never would have received this much hostile attention. If he were a Sun Myung Moon-like cult leader, he would probably control a mainstream media empire comparable to Moon's, and be wooed by establishment figures. If he were a financial fraudster, he might have spent one year at Club Fed and wound up teaching at UCLA like Michael Milken. If he were a right-wing conspiracy monger, he would be largely ignored like the John Birch Society. The truth is that he is targeted here for the same economic theories that are increasingly making him into a celebrity in Russia and China. And I suspect that Slim has some inkling that this is the case.

How much attention does he get, really? The only thing I'd heard of him pre-Wikipedia was joking about the people with the loudspeakers on the street corner.

The guy could be a genius for all I know. The problem is I've not yet seen the case for why I or anyone should read his material. That nobody independent seems to give them any credence is one strike against them; that they think they're going to have an impact by shouting on the street corner is another. That the whole thing is focused around a movement is probably the third.

Here's my question: if someone is eighty years old and still looking for their first credible supporter, why should anyone other than perhaps an investigator spend their time looking into it?
+Quote Post
Cedric

General Gato

Member No.: 1,116

QUOTE(Mackan @ Fri 6th November 2009, 2:56am) *

Here's my question: if someone is eighty years old and still looking for their first credible supporter, why should anyone other than perhaps an investigator spend their time looking into it?

Well, that seems to me to be the $64,000 question, in that the answer would prove more interesting than anything we could learn about LaRouche. I believe others have already pointed this out, but it bears repeating: LaRouche is a character completely on the fringe, even back in the days when he was better known. He has no real influence to speak of in US or international policy-making. I had not heard or read a word about LaRouche or any of his organizations for some fifteen years before reading about the existence of a LaRouche editing war here on the pages of WR. He is a teeny blast from the past.
+Quote Post
Cla68

Postmaster

QUOTE(Cedric @ Fri 6th November 2009, 12:22pm) *

Well, that seems to me to be the $64,000 question, in that the answer would prove more interesting than anything we could learn about LaRouche. I believe others have already pointed this out, but it bears repeating: LaRouche is a character completely on the fringe, even back in the days when he was better known. He has no real influence to speak of in US or international policy-making. I had not heard or read a word about LaRouche or any of his organizations for some fifteen years before reading about the existence of a LaRouche editing war here on the pages of WR. He is a teeny blast from the past.

Well, LaRouche apparently is given more credibility in Russia and People's China than in the US, but you wouldn't know that by the articles in Wikipedia, since the Russian and Chinese citations are apparently being removed with extreme prejudice by SV and Will. The Chinese even built a statue of LaRouche.

Anyway, Achromatic made some good points about what's wrong with the Duggan article. Moreover, SV, you didn't address why the Duggan article is referenced in so many of the LaRouche articles. You have worked with BLP issues and have been a staunch defender of protecting most BLP subjects, yet you continue to push connecting this unexplained death with LaRouche, a BLP subject. Why the double standard?
+Quote Post
Herschelkrustofsky

QUOTE(Cla68 @ Fri 6th November 2009, 4:34am) *

QUOTE(Cedric @ Fri 6th November 2009, 12:22pm) *

Well, LaRouche apparently is given more credibility in Russia and People's China than in the US, but you wouldn't know that by the articles in Wikipedia, since the Russian and Chinese citations are apparently being removed with extreme prejudice by SV and Will. The Chinese even built a statue of LaRouche.
Er, that part about the statue is news to me. But a Google search for Линдон Ларуш turns up 94,500 hits, and a search for 林登·拉魯什 turns up 146,000. It is these sorts of paradoxes that originally got me interested in LaRouche. How does "a character completely on the fringe" generate that sort of attention in the rest of the world? The assumption that is almost universally shared by Wikipedians is that the US Press is an infallible source of complete and honest information. I gave up that idea sometime in the 1970s.

QUOTE(Cla68 @ Fri 6th November 2009, 4:34am) *

Moreover, SV, you didn't address why the Duggan article is referenced in so many of the LaRouche articles. You have worked with BLP issues and have been a staunch defender of protecting most BLP subjects, yet you continue to push connecting this unexplained death with LaRouche, a BLP subject. Why the double standard?
SV is not big on addressing these sorts of things.
+Quote Post
Happy drinker

QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Fri 6th November 2009, 4:46pm) *

How does "a character completely on the fringe" generate that sort of attention in the rest of the world? The assumption that is almost universally shared by Wikipedians is that the US Press is an infallible source of complete and honest information. I gave up that idea sometime in the 1970s.

Russia and China isn't quite the same as the rest of the world, though it's a big slice. (It's fair to conclude that he's not regarded as extremely right-wing in Russia and China.) So far as I can tell, he's virtually unknown in Britain and, if people have heard of him, he's a joke who accuses the Queen of drug-smuggling or something. Still, he's as entitled to be treated with NPOV as any other person or subject.
+Quote Post
gomi

QUOTE(Happy drinker @ Fri 6th November 2009, 11:13am) *
Russia and China isn't quite the same as the rest of the world ....

Advice to all concerned: do not rise to this bait. For most of you, the "Ignore" button functions well. Use it.

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Herschelkrustofsky   Slim and Will put the smackdown on LaRouche  
Cedric   The "old" SlimVirgin is back. :popcorn:...  
Shalom   The "old" SlimVirgin is back. :popcorn:...  
CharlotteWebb   To be brutally honest, without Wikipedia I would ...  
Krimpet   Word. I first heard of him by reading an old arbc...  
everyking   Word. I first heard of him by reading an old arb...  
Shalom   [quote name='Krimpet' post='192526' date='Wed 2nd...  
dtobias   See that's the problem: for some people who p...  
Shalom   See that's the problem: for some people who ...  
Moulton   Yes, someone wrote on the web that the Britney Spe...  
Lar   Yes, someone wrote on the web that the Britney Sp...  
thekohser   [quote name='Shalom' post='192588' date='Thu 3rd ...  
EricBarbour   See that's the problem: for some people who pr...  
MBisanz   The 15 most edited article talk pages are: 1. Ta...  
MBisanz   It is probably also worth noting that the talk pag...  
CharlotteWebb   It is probably also worth noting that the talk pa...  
Herschelkrustofsky   [quote name='Shalom' post='192579' date='Thu 3rd ...  
Herschelkrustofsky   [quote name='Shalom' post='192579' date='Thu 3rd ...  
MBisanz   [quote name='Shalom' post='192579' date='Thu 3rd...  
CharlotteWebb   [quote name='Herschelkrustofsky' post='196028' da...  
tarantino   [quote name='Herschelkrustofsky' post='196028' da...  
MBisanz   [quote name='Herschelkrustofsky' post='196028' d...  
Herschelkrustofsky   Jayen is a follower of Shree Rajneesh and likely ...  
Eva Destruction   Should be interesting.  
written by he who wrote it   The "old" SlimVirgin is back. :popcorn:...  
Herschelkrustofsky   [quote name='Herschelkrustofsky' post='192448' da...  
Cla68   The "old" SlimVirgin is back. :popcorn:...  
Casliber   Some unusual topics get quite a going over - for ...  
Casliber   Also the Liopleurodon talk page - should the appea...  
thekohser   Now, this is how I'd do an [b][color=#009900]a...  
It's the blimp, Frank   Leatherstocking is indignantly protesting her big ...  
Cla68   Leatherstocking is indignantly protesting her big...  
It's the blimp, Frank   Leatherstocking should just make a request for cl...  
It's the blimp, Frank   It's now at the ANI forum. I think that Leathe...  
gomi   It's now [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi...  
Cla68   [quote name='It's the blimp, Frank' post='193...  
Herschelkrustofsky   Ahem, Lar did [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/w/inde...  
Cedric   [quote name='Cla68' post='193038' date='Mon 7th S...  
gomi   [quote name='Herschelkrustofsky' post='193052' dat...  
Cedric   The exchange was funny enough I think it should b...  
Achromatic   Slim's shrill response on Lar's talk page...  
everyking   Slim's shrill response on Lar's talk pag...  
Herschelkrustofsky   Why must everything be interpreted as some kind o...  
Achromatic   Emphasis mine. This, ladies and gentleman, would...  
Milton Roe   [quote name='Achromatic' post='193267' date='Wed ...  
TungstenCarbide   There's much about SV that could be fixed with...  
Herschelkrustofsky   Ahem, Lar did [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/w/inde...  
It's the blimp, Frank   I think it's interesting that Georgewiliamherb...  
Cla68   I think it's interesting that Georgewiliamher...  
Herschelkrustofsky   Will Beback needs to realize that trying to tar a...  
Cla68   I thought that it was ok to use primary sources fo...  
Herschelkrustofsky   I hope any arbitrators reading this will take Lea...  
CharlotteWebb   If Leatherstocking hasn't been banned by next...  
Herschelkrustofsky   Why do you suppose SV said that she was "writ...  
Cla68   Why do you suppose SV said that she was "wri...  
Kelly Martin   Why do you suppose SV said that she was "writ...  
Cla68   Leatherstocking, in a couple of days, should go ah...  
TungstenCarbide   Leatherstocking, in a couple of days, should go a...  
Cla68   [quote name='Cla68' post='194413' date='Wed 16th ...  
It's the blimp, Frank   [quote name='Cla68' post='194413' date='Wed 16th ...  
Cla68   [quote name='Cla68' post='194413' date='Wed 16th...  
MBisanz   Notice that no uninvolved editors have commented ...  
Heat   Notice that no uninvolved editors have commented...  
The Joy   [quote name='MBisanz' post='194578' date='Wed 16t...  
TungstenCarbide   [quote name='MBisanz' post='194578' date='Wed 16t...  
Herschelkrustofsky   BTW, is misspelling "mess" as "met...  
CharlotteWebb   And I'm sure you meant "prolonging" ...  
MBisanz   Why do you suppose SV said that she was "wri...  
Herschelkrustofsky   She's clearly a bit more careful than Will Beb...  
MBisanz   I saw my first ever LaRouchie today in real life. ...  
Herschelkrustofsky   I did immediately assume he was HK, as 99% of pe...  
Lar   I did immediately assume he was HK, as 99% of p...  
Cla68   I saw my first ever LaRouchie today in real life....  
MBisanz   [quote name='MBisanz' post='193838' date='Sat 12t...  
Malleus   Apparently you have never had Cosi's tomato ba...  
tarantino   That picture demonstrates quite well the problem ...  
MBisanz   [quote name='MBisanz' post='193906' date='Sun 13t...  
TungstenCarbide   That picture demonstrates quite well the problem t...  
Milton Roe   That picture demonstrates quite well the problem ...  
Herschelkrustofsky   It looks like the arbs are addressing themselves e...  
TungstenCarbide   It looks like the arbs are addressing themselves ...  
Herschelkrustofsky   How does the procedure work? For example, we now h...  
Herschelkrustofsky   :)  
Herschelkrustofsky   Carcharoth has added his comments to the arbcom re...  
It's the blimp, Frank   I'm really surprised that Leatherstocking hasn...  
Appleby   Just because SlimVirgin owns an article doesn...  
Herschelkrustofsky   I'd certainly heard of Duggan independent of ...  
standixon   [quote name='Appleby' post='198416' date='Tue 6th...  
Achromatic   Uh oh. No-one told me we were not meant to be disc...  
Herschelkrustofsky   Will Slim 'n' Will play the BADSITES card?...  
It's the blimp, Frank   Hail, hail, the cabal's all here, as Tom Harri...  
Cla68   JoshuaZ in particular thinks the way to win points...  
Kelly Martin   Speaking of LaRouche, how long before Keith Olberm...  
Cla68   Speaking of LaRouche, how long before Keith Olber...  
Herschelkrustofsky   Speaking of LaRouche, how long before Keith Olber...  
Random832   LaRouche's contribution to the debate is the [...  
Herschelkrustofsky   And I have no idea how you can say with a straigh...  
Random832   I'm not sure what other "democrats = nazi...  
Herschelkrustofsky   [quote name='Herschelkrustofsky' post='198850' da...  
The Joy   Could Leatherstocking be allowed to continue editi...  
Cla68   Could Leatherstocking be allowed to continue edit...  
It's the blimp, Frank   I'm waiting to see what happens when LaRouche...  
dogbiscuit   I'm waiting to see what happens when LaRouch...  
Herschelkrustofsky   [quote name='It's the blimp, Frank' post='201...  
Milton Roe   [quote name='Cla68' post='198827' date='Fri 9th O...  
Herschelkrustofsky   Leatherstocking makes an effort to [url=http://e...  
Herschelkrustofsky   [quote name='Cla68' post='198827' date='Fri 9th O...  
Milton Roe   [quote name='Cla68' post='198827' date='Fri 9th ...  
Herschelkrustofsky   Well, how can she verify them if she can't re...  
Herschelkrustofsky   After some initial comments by uninvolved editors ...  
Achromatic   Will Beback has made the observation that "cl...  
It's the blimp, Frank   Apparently, such factors that Will encourages the...  
EricBarbour   Now the Duggan article is (presto!) called ...  
Kelly Martin   Now the Duggan article is (presto!) called ...  
Achromatic   Now the Duggan article is (presto!) called ...  
It's the blimp, Frank   I see that the request for arbcom clarification ha...  
It's the blimp, Frank   Could someone who undertstands the Arbcom explain ...  
Achromatic   Could someone who undertstands the Arbcom explain...  
Herschelkrustofsky   ...however, the controversy has spilled over into ...  
Herschelkrustofsky   And, Leatherstocking was just indefinitely blocked...  
Lar   And, Leatherstocking was just indefinitely blocke...  
Herschelkrustofsky   [quote name='Herschelkrustofsky' post='201844' da...  
Cla68   And it turns out that the [url=http://en.wikipedi...  
Cla68   And, Leatherstocking was just [url=http://en.wiki...  
Hell Freezes Over   [quote name='Herschelkrustofsky' post='201844' da...  
Cla68   [quote name='Cla68' post='201882' date='Wed 28th ...  
Hell Freezes Over   Well, for one thing, why have you and Will been ...  
Lar   You didn't really answer the question. Sl...  
taiwopanfob   This website normally deplores when published expe...  
Cla68   [quote name='Cla68' post='201919' date='Wed 28th ...  
Hell Freezes Over   I wasn't opposed to cultists in general editi...  
Cla68   I wasn't opposed to cultists in general edit...  
Kelly Martin   This website normally deplores when published expe...  
Lar   This website normally deplores when published exp...  
Kelly Martin   I sort of expected you to talk about House POV her...  
Happy drinker   it's my considered belief that there is no su...  
gomi   [quote name='Kelly Martin' post='201951' date='Wed...  
Jon Awbrey   Fer crissake, we have to explain this to every Wi...  
everyking   For example, SlimVirgin's excessive and parti...  
Herschelkrustofsky   I'm also unconvinced by the claims that the L...  
Cla68   [quote name='everyking' post='202071' date='Wed 2...  
Milton Roe   [quote name='gomi' post='202053' date='Thu 29th O...  
Herschelkrustofsky   Well, just reading the LaRouche bio, there are tw...  
Herschelkrustofsky   As I read it, Kronberg's paper-and-ink prints...  
Milton Roe   As I read it, Kronberg's paper-and-ink print...  
Herschelkrustofsky   You know, Herschel, just once, for the sake of pu...  
Cla68   [quote name='Herschelkrustofsky' post='202488' da...  
Milton Roe   Anyway, judging from past comments, GWH does read...  
Herschelkrustofsky   Interestingly, SlimVirgin doesn't mind foreig...  
Cla68   Incidentally, Will Beback, who avoided any LaRouc...  
Herschelkrustofsky   The farther you go into the details, BTW, the mor...  
Mariner   Well, it's getting closer, because Jayen466 h...  
Milton Roe   The farther you go into the details, BTW, the mo...  
Cla68   [quote name='Herschelkrustofsky' post='202837' da...  
It's the blimp, Frank   "Shankbonius sum! (Ecce homo)." :P...  
Kelly Martin   All we have to do is follow the rules. An article...  
Random832   The LaRouche accounts have been banned because the...  
Jon Awbrey   The LaRouche accounts have been banned because t...  
Herschelkrustofsky   I don't know whether Leatherstocking was also...  
Hell Freezes Over   I've never said anything like that. The real...  
Herschelkrustofsky   I've never said anything like that. The rea...  
Somey   Who posted a real name for me on this site? I...  
CharlotteWebb   Because Larouche has written so much stuff that...  
Jon Awbrey   If I didn't know better (and have a rhyming d...  
Jon Awbrey   [quote name='Hell Freezes Over' post='201975' dat...  
It's the blimp, Frank   Cla, you were strongly supportive of efforts to d...  
Achromatic   And, Leatherstocking was just indefinitely blocke...  
tarantino   [quote name='Herschelkrustofsky' post='201844' da...  
Milton Roe   [quote name='Herschelkrustofsky' post='201844' d...  
Achromatic   [quote name='Herschelkrustofsky' post='201844' d...  
CharlotteWebb   And, Leatherstocking was just [url=http://en.wiki...  
Herschelkrustofsky   [quote name='Herschelkrustofsky' post='201844' da...  
CharlotteWebb   From there we go to Jgordon, who in refusing Leat...  
Heat   [quote name='Herschelkrustofsky' post='202108' da...  
Mackan   [quote name='Herschelkrustofsky' post='202108' d...  
Cla68   [quote name='Heat' post='202118' date='Thu 29th O...  
Herschelkrustofsky   LaRouche evidently isn't outright dismissed i...  
Cla68   [quote name='Cla68' post='202192' date='Thu 29th ...  
It's the blimp, Frank   I agree with you that the subject probably really...  
Jon Awbrey   I agree with you that the subject probably reall...  
Happy drinker   There is a general principle that if an account b...  
Herschelkrustofsky   But Wikipedia is not a court of criminal law. We...  
It's the blimp, Frank   I'm surprised Leatherstocking lasted as long a...  
Milton Roe   I'm surprised Leatherstocking lasted as long ...  
Cla68   I'm surprised Leatherstocking lasted as long ...  
Herschelkrustofsky   There is a thread at ANI now. So far, not much of ...  
It's the blimp, Frank   There is a thread at ANI now. So far, not much of...  
Heat   It appears we have a situation where people are ut...  
Kelly Martin   It appears we have a situation where people are ut...  
Moulton   Naw, we gave up the song parody business ages ago.  
Herschelkrustofsky   Actually, to correct Sr. Awbrey, it's Will Beb...  
It's the blimp, Frank   Holy BADSITES, Batman! ZOMG! Foreign lang...  
Milton Roe   [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Lyndon_LaR...  
Herschelkrustofsky   [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Lyndon_LaR...  
Milton Roe   [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Lyndon_La...  
wikieyeay   Holy BADSITES, Batman! ZOMG! Foreign lan...  
Herschelkrustofsky   Never let it be said that Slim is too proud to rem...  
Herschelkrustofsky   Jayen clearly has WB's number:  
Random832   All kinds of interesting people are showing up no...  
Jon Awbrey   By the way, Jayen and SV appear to be collaborat...  
GlassBeadGame   [quote name='gomi' post='203155' date='Fri 6th No...  
Achromatic   Perhaps you could respond to my post above about ...  
gomi   Attention WP admins: only you can read John Train ...  
Hell Freezes Over   Moreover, SV, you didn't address why the Dugg...  
Jon Awbrey   [quote name='Mackan' post='203184' date='Fri 6th ...  
Heat   Now, the model which LaRouche opposes, which beca...  
Herschelkrustofsky   That's odd. This is the first time I've e...  
Hell Freezes Over   Your typically self-serving description omits the...  
Hell Freezes Over   LaRouche is notable and controversial for one re...  
Random832   So basically the King's Fund, set up in London...  
Herschelkrustofsky   So basically the King's Fund, set up in Londo...  
Jon Awbrey   After all, I also volunteered for Eugene McCarthy...  
Milton Roe   [quote name='Milton Roe' post='203087' date='Thu ...  
Jon Awbrey   I agree it’s a reasonable enquiry. The pro...  
Hell Freezes Over   Yes, but do go on. The officials on both sides o...  
Herschelkrustofsky   Jayen has begun editing Death of Jeremiah Duggan, ...  
EricBarbour   Does that crazy woman really think that calling he...  
Happy drinker   SlimVirgin is as entitled as anyone else, includin...  
Herschelkrustofsky   SlimVirgin is as entitled as anyone else, includi...  
Cla68   [quote name='Happy drinker' post='202990' date='W...  
Milton Roe   SlimVirgin is as entitled as anyone else, includi...  
Happy drinker   SlimVirgin is as entitled as anyone else, includ...  
Herschelkrustofsky   The other great thing about the Duggan saga is tha...  
Milton Roe   The other great thing about the Duggan saga is th...  
Herschelkrustofsky   You see, she's a non-involved, unbiased edito...  
It's the blimp, Frank   I know that Slim doesn't answer questions, but...  
Random832   But "the friend of my enemy is also my enemy...  
Jon Awbrey   Brilliant, HunterKiller, you have cleverly cornere...  
Herschelkrustofsky   You've obviously never been to the UK, or mor...  
2 Pages V  1 2 >

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)