FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Mantanmoreland Saga Update -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mantanmoreland Saga Update, ....Scoreboard Special
Piperdown

Fat Cat

Group: Regulars

Mantanmoreland is Gary, 3
Mantanmoreland isn't Gary, 0

Patrick Byrne, Juddster, and Gary all say that Gary = MM

That latter is just very inconsistent in what he tells whom, lol.

That is all, carry on with the show on WP, folks. Remember, they know more than you do about this.

And G-dett's Cormac McCarthian yarn of the Wikipedia Tombstoner is the most brilliant prose I've yet to be privileged to read on any WP Tawk page.

This post has been edited by Piperdown:
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
WhispersOfWisdom

Lee Nysted

QUOTE(Piperdown @ Sun 17th February 2008, 12:10pm) *

Mantanmoreland is Gary, 3
Mantanmoreland isn't Gary, 0

Patrick Byrne, Juddster, and Gary all say that Gary = MM

That latter is just very inconsistent in what he tells whom, lol.

That is all, carry on with the show on WP, folks. Remember, they know more than you do about this.

And G-dett's Cormac McCarthian yarn of the Wikipedia Tombstoner is the most brilliant prose I've yet to be privileged to read on any WP Tawk page.

Please link...?

Thank you. I do not know how to get to the source.

(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
One

Postmaster General

Group: Contributors

QUOTE(WhispersOfWisdom @ Sun 17th February 2008, 6:45pm) *

QUOTE(Piperdown @ Sun 17th February 2008, 12:10pm) *

Please link...?

Thank you. I do not know how to get to the source.

(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)

Interesting read. "Circumstantial," but it makes sense, and it's fascinating stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Req...ented_by_G-Dett
+Quote Post
Piperdown

Fat Cat

Very Churchillian. Great sense of humour.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=192189071

+Quote Post
Aloft

Please stop trying to cause trouble!

Holy shit. This, ladies and gentlemen, is a must read:

QUOTE(G-Dett)
: A fellow Wikipedian has pointed out to me that Josephine Earp, Wyatt’s wife and the focus of User:Lastexit’s first edits after his Tombstone debut, was Jewish. As it happens, there was a significant Jewish population in the Tombstone of the 19th century; indeed the town's very name was given to it by a Jewish pioneer who opened its first general store. [147] In light of the striking nexus of interests here – Jewish history, the Earp vendetta ride, historical/tourist sites in the Southwest, and the legends of Tom(b)stone® – I regarded this as an interesting lead. I understand that what I’ve found and am presenting is 'evidence' of a peculiar sort.

Tombstone’s most famous tourist site is the Boothill Graveyard, where many of its legendary gunslingers and historical personalities are interred. Boothill has within it a Jewish section, which went unnoticed for over 100 years; a memorial was added in 1984. [148] [149] The small Jewish burial ground has no remaining headstones, and only one grave – that of a child. [150] He died in 1889, when he was one year and four days old. There is still a small stone marker for the child in the burial ground today, next to the memorial. His name was Sam Harris.

I would like to be able to say that User:Samiharris was created one year and four days after Mantanmoreland was created, but that would be a few hours off. He was created – for what it's worth – one year, three days and ~three hours after Mantanmoreland. There is a touch of the poet (as well as the gumshoe) in old Weiss. I am moved, almost to clemency, just reflecting on it.--G-Dett (talk) 01:05, 18 February 2008 (UTC)
+Quote Post
Somey

Can't actually moderate (or even post)

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 275

QUOTE(Aloft @ Sun 17th February 2008, 9:40pm) *
There is a touch of the poet (as well as the gumshoe) in old Weiss. I am moved, almost to clemency, just reflecting on it.

And then there are those of us who are moved in the general direction of the bathroom so we can throw up...

I mean, how long has this gone on? Two years, almost? And how much effort have some of us put into it, trying to convince these WP {insert epithet here}s of something that was so blatantly obvious all along that we could only conclude that Weiss was laughing uproariously over how stupid and easily cowed they all were, pretty much the whole time? (And still are, in many cases?)

G-Dett is a fine admin so far as it goes, and smart as heck for figuring that out, but it's not really so hard to come up with clever sock puppet names - the people who do it usually have plenty of time to work it all out in advance.

Still, Gary should have waited the extra 21 hours.
+Quote Post
Proabivouac

Bane of all wikiland

QUOTE(Aloft @ Mon 18th February 2008, 3:40am) *

QUOTE(G-Dett)
: A fellow Wikipedian has pointed out to me that Josephine Earp, Wyatt’s wife and the focus of User:Lastexit’s first edits after his Tombstone debut, was Jewish. As it happens, there was a significant Jewish population in the Tombstone of the 19th century; indeed the town's very name was given to it by a Jewish pioneer who opened its first general store. [147] In light of the striking nexus of interests here – Jewish history, the Earp vendetta ride, historical/tourist sites in the Southwest, and the legends of Tom(b)stone® – I regarded this as an interesting lead. I understand that what I’ve found and am presenting is 'evidence' of a peculiar sort.

Tombstone’s most famous tourist site is the Boothill Graveyard, where many of its legendary gunslingers and historical personalities are interred. Boothill has within it a Jewish section, which went unnoticed for over 100 years; a memorial was added in 1984. [148] [149] The small Jewish burial ground has no remaining headstones, and only one grave – that of a child. [150] He died in 1889, when he was one year and four days old. There is still a small stone marker for the child in the burial ground today, next to the memorial. His name was Sam Harris.

I would like to be able to say that User:Samiharris was created one year and four days after Mantanmoreland was created, but that would be a few hours off. He was created – for what it's worth – one year, three days and ~three hours after Mantanmoreland. There is a touch of the poet (as well as the gumshoe) in old Weiss. I am moved, almost to clemency, just reflecting on it.--G-Dett (talk) 01:05, 18 February 2008 (UTC)

Wow. That's unbelievably good work.
+Quote Post
WordBomb

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(Aloft @ Sun 17th February 2008, 11:40pm) *

QUOTE(G-Dett)

No way. That is like "Paul is dead" freaky.
And let us give it up for G-Dett. Wow!!
+Quote Post
Kato

dhd

No amount of Kinky Friedman prose can disguise the fact that this Arbcom case is predictably disintegrating into a farce. All it needs now is for Bobby Ewing to step on to the page and declare that the whole thing was a dream.

Why don't they just announce :
  • Gary Weiss has been operating several accounts to use Wikipedia as part of a larger campaign against the CEO of Overstock.com.
  • Block his accounts.
  • Have done with it.
+Quote Post
Robster

"Community"? Really?

QUOTE(Kato @ Sun 17th February 2008, 11:33pm) *

Why don't they just announce :
  • Gary Weiss has been operating several accounts to use Wikipedia as part of a larger campaign against the CEO of Overstock.com.
  • Block his accounts.
  • Have done with it.

That's the question, isn't it?

Why DON'T they?

If we knew why they refuse to see the elephant in the room, I think we'd know a lot more about Inside Wikipedia than we ever thought there was to know.
+Quote Post
WordBomb

Ãœber Member

Two questions:
1-Has there ever been a WP:SOCK case that has seen so much evidence presented?
2-Has there ever been a WP:SOCK case that had reached so advanced a state of overkill and yet the subject remain defiant?
+Quote Post
Kato

dhd

QUOTE(WordBomb @ Mon 18th February 2008, 4:42am) *

Two questions:
2-Has there ever been a WP:SOCK case that had reached so advanced a state of overkill and yet the subject remain defiant?

No and no.

But even Patrick Byrne is on that page now making strange allusions and vague statements. What is it about that page? I feel like going on myself and claiming to be The Wife of Lord Weiss III, producing interpretations of The Dead Sea Scrolls as my evidence. Just to join in the fun.
+Quote Post
Proabivouac

Bane of all wikiland

QUOTE(WordBomb @ Mon 18th February 2008, 4:42am) *

Two questions:

Well, there was my Oldwindybear report:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Proabivo...r&Stillstudying

There is more linguistic evidence, by far. It takes a lot of time to do this, unfortunately.

OWB did remain defiant, but no one believed him and he left. Later on, he admitted it to me, and we actually became friends. I tried to get people to let him come back, but they weren't having any of it.
+Quote Post
Kato

dhd

Here's someone reviewing G-Dett's evidence
QUOTE(Someone)

G-Dett's evidence made me immediately think of Foucault's Pendulum (which, come to think of it, should probably be required reading for any Wikipedian about to embark on an investigation of complex sockpuppetry - hell it should be required reading for everyone). It also put me in mind of Keith Jenkins' concept of "imaginaries" as a replacement for for traditional Rankean history.

What?
(IMG:http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb311/Kato90125/burtwhatt.jpg)
+Quote Post
taiwopanfob

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(Proabivouac @ Mon 18th February 2008, 3:54am) *
Wow. That's unbelievably good work.

Fuck, yeah!

But it's a cryin' shame Wikipedia has no idea how to use some of their finest human resources. G-Dett's, Cool Hand Luke's (and others) investigative capability could be put to better use, but are instead "allowed" (so to speak) to waste it on cases even the most corrupt, inept, real-world judge would have come to summary judgment a long, long, time ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=192159334

I concur with WAS: ArbCom and their brown-noses are being played as the fools they (now) demonstrably are. Such fools, I think it is not out of the realm of the possible that like any other dysfunctional organization, ArbCom will simply ignore it all and defend its toadies and their past decisions rather than admit they have been a victim of a detailed, long-term, confidence trick. "More studies needed, G-Dett." Classic mark behavior.
+Quote Post
Piperdown

Fat Cat

QUOTE(Piperdown @ Mon 18th February 2008, 3:22am) *

Very Churchillian. Great sense of humour.

and of course Durova blanks first and reads later, and suggests a course of action that caused the whole darned sockmess in the first place.

LOL

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=192231801

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=192237283

WP'ians are a bit touchy on the hairtrigger. Methinks they've been reading offsite. Maybe even BADSITES.

Remeber that M.Night Shamalamdingdong (No dis, M. Night, praise be unto you - "Unbreakable" is a great movie") where all the Pilgrims are forbidden to enter the woods, only to later find out the elders were hiding the real world from them?

from now on, Durova, babe...I suggest that in when Wikipedians have "evidence" that makes exalted holy Wikipedians look bad, they post it to a common place on WP where all the Commoners can decide for themselves.

Your Star Chamber Arbcom and sekret mailing lists are joke.

+Quote Post
Somey

Can't actually moderate (or even post)

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 275

QUOTE(Someone)
G-Dett's evidence made me immediately think of Foucault's Pendulum (which, come to think of it, should probably be required reading for any Wikipedian about to embark on an investigation of complex sockpuppetry - hell it should be required reading for everyone). It also put me in mind of Keith Jenkins' concept of "imaginaries" as a replacement for for traditional Rankean history.

I assume he's referring to the Umberto Eco novel? The one with the Knights Templar, the Rosicrucians, the Comte de Ste. Germain, and all that? I suspect this person is simply trying to show off his personal literacy. And as for Keith Jenkins, the author of Why History?, I'd say the less said the better! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/angry.gif)

Maybe this is just such a big comeuppance for the cabalistas that it's inevitable that there would be this kind of commentary tossed in, but come on, Wikipedians! This is not some sort of genius mastermind you're dealing with here! This is just some guy with a bunch of accounts who got in good with a few high mucky-muck admins and milked it and milked it and (did I already say?) milked it. Nothing magical, supernatural, or transcendent has occurred here whatsoever.
+Quote Post
Kato

dhd

More crazed "evidence". This time the culprit is, of course, JzG:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=192274226

QUOTE(JzG)
# See [92] for an example of the strong (I would say incontrovertible) evidence that Bagley is a vile agenda-driven troll who would be completely unwelcome here even if Gary Weiss were the sole editor of the overstock.com article. Bagley's problem is simple: he attacks anybody who suggests that overstock's poor stock performance is down to poor management and consistent failure to return a profit. Yes, his job is to defend overstock, but his methods are completely out of line, and this should be obvious to everybody. There is no crusade against Bagley, merely an understandable unwillingness to let this exceptionally difficult individual abuse Wikipedia for his own ends. Ironically, Byrne comes across as a much less problematic character.
# Notwithstanding the above, a case on Mantanmoreland is not the place to kvetch about what people think of Bagley - if you want to appeal his ban, raise a separate case.
# Even if SlimVirgin did own the mailing list (which I can't remember), so what? SlimVirgin is an admin in good standing, and the lists were set up to discuss a problem which was experienced by a number of editors, albeit you and Dan Tobias feel the need to pretend this problem does not exist. Jimbo thinks it does, I think it does, the victims of harassment think it does, and really there is nothing at all wrong with wanting to discuss how best to handle that. Your "evidence" on this point is therefore moot.
# As for the rest, I recommend a career with these folks, your talent for picking cherries is undeniable. Guy (Help!) 09:42, 18

Guy's user page has stated for some months that he has "retired from Wikipedia" as he "is tired of silly drama". He has turned the rest of his talk page into a memorial to his late father. Which shows no signs of disappearing to be returned to a Wikipedia talk page.

This man has clearly lost his mind. Someone put him out of his -- and everyone else's -- misery and ban him from the site.

PS. And get these f-ing opinions off the "evidence page"!! We wrote months ago that Arbcom was a circus where looming ghouls are allowed to interfere at will, leaving the committee "utterly lost in discerning the difference between evidence, opinion and rumor".
+Quote Post
Piperdown

Fat Cat

QUOTE(Kato @ Mon 18th February 2008, 5:35pm) *

More crazed "evidence". This time the culprit is, of course, JzG:

as for jzG, just read this and ban him, now, instantly, and for good:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Cla68/Rf...ersonal_attacks

And folks, Gary is MM. Crying forgery is embarrassing. It's just going to make things worse.

+Quote Post
BobbyBombastic

gabba gabba hey

Member No.: 1,223

QUOTE(Somey @ Mon 18th February 2008, 2:28am) *

This is not some sort of genius mastermind you're dealing with here! This is just some guy with a bunch of accounts who got in good with a few high mucky-muck admins and milked it and milked it and (did I already say?) milked it. Nothing magical, supernatural, or transcendent has occurred here whatsoever.

It does have a certain style to it that is remarkable though. If people keep saying how creatively Mantan worked his sock tricks, maybe it will goad his ego into coming forth and offering a confession, or at least a half-confession. He obviously thinks a lot of himself. I'd actually encourage the "good God Gary, you are brilliant!" meme.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)