FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Useful page for deciphering RfA !votes -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Useful page for deciphering RfA !votes
LessHorrid vanU

Devils Advocaat

Group: Regulars

This page explains all. It is even better for having the stamp of truth upon it.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

Known alias of J. Random Troll

QUOTE(LessHorrid vanU @ Mon 14th July 2008, 1:00pm) *

This page explains all. It is even better for having the stamp of truth upon it.

(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/biggrin.gif) The longer you've been around WP, the funnier this is. Nice job.
+Quote Post
Eva Destruction

Fat Cat

Don't neglect its parent page, WP:WIKISPEAK...
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

Known alias of J. Random Troll

QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Mon 14th July 2008, 2:13pm) *

(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif) Thanks.

bureaucrat n. An administrator so bland that they haven't managed to upset anyone.
See red tape.

Some of these are worthy of The Devil's Dictionary: "Uninvolved administrator; see Involved administrator" (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Giggy

Ãœber Member

Group: Inactive
Member No.: 5,552

Appropriate entry added.
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Mon 14th July 2008, 6:13pm) *

spam
Any article about a company or product you've never heard of. These articles can be dealt with in one of three ways:
  1. If the article is unreferenced, it can be safely deleted as nobody will bother to check how important it is.
  2. If the article is referenced, it can be safely deleted and the author blocked for adding external links.
  3. If the article is referenced and well-written but you've either never heard of, or don't like, the author, it can be deleted and the author tagged as suspected sockpuppet of Wikipedia Review or Runcorn.
+Quote Post
Giggy

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 15th July 2008, 11:38am) *

spam
Any article about a company or product you've never heard of. These articles can be dealt with in one of three ways:
  1. If the article is unreferenced, it can be safely deleted as nobody will bother to check how important it is.
  2. If the article is referenced, it can be safely deleted and the author blocked for adding external links.
  3. If the article is referenced and well-written but you've either never heard of, or don't like, the author, it can be deleted and the author tagged as suspected sockpuppet of Wikipedia Review or Runcorn.

Iridescent is a big fan of yours, it seems (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(Giggy @ Mon 14th July 2008, 9:48pm) *

QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 15th July 2008, 11:38am) *

spam

Iridescent is a big fan of yours, it seems (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/wink.gif)

"referenced and well-written"... if that's my Wikipedia legacy, I'm happy.
+Quote Post
Cla68

Postmaster

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Mon 14th July 2008, 10:38pm) *

bureaucrat n. An administrator so bland that they haven't managed to upset anyone.
See red tape.

Some of these are worthy of The Devil's Dictionary: "Uninvolved administrator; see Involved administrator" (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)

I have a copy of the Devil's Dictionary somewhere in my book pile. I should pull it out and start adding quotes from it to the top of my userpage or to my signature here. Anyway, this list is funny and some of the guide points are spot on.
+Quote Post
Giggy

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(Cla68 @ Tue 15th July 2008, 3:45pm) *

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Mon 14th July 2008, 10:38pm) *

See red tape.

I have a copy of the Devil's Dictionary somewhere in my book pile. I should pull it out and start adding quotes from it to the top of my userpage or to my signature here. Anyway, this list is funny and some of the guide points are spot on.

I hope you're on the lookout for a "Oppose, too quick to be involved in drama." (#21) next time you're up for RfA. I just wonder if anyone will pull a "Support per clean talkpage/block log/contribs/" (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
guy

Postmaster General

Member No.: 23

QUOTE(Giggy @ Tue 15th July 2008, 2:22am) *

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=225714800 (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif)

And here's Iridescent, bidding for the WR award for "Admin with the best sense of humour"

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=225038174

She also added the bit about Spam

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=215789421

but the reference to Runcorn is due to Nousernamesleft.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=220780413
+Quote Post
Alex

Back from the dead

This page shows precisely what a joke RfA is. Why can't it just be a straight vote, with no comments? It would certainly remove a lot of the nastiness.
+Quote Post
Eva Destruction

Fat Cat

QUOTE(Alex @ Tue 15th July 2008, 11:01am) *

This page shows precisely what a joke RfA is. Why can't it just be a straight vote, with no comments? It would certainly remove a lot of the nastiness.

Because then, A would vote "oppose" on B's RFA, but without giving an explanation B would then come to A's talkpage to ask why, thus spreading the incoherent ramblings across multiple pages; at least this way it keeps all the bitching and backstabbing on a single page which is auto-archived after five days. I could make a case for a secret ballot of established editors (along the lines of the WMF election), although I suspect you'd get a lot of "opposes" for really lame reasons. At least forcing people to explain their actions prevents the cabal of 12 year olds, for instance, from blatantly block-voting their buddies through.

The RFA process is undoubtedly a mess – lest we forget, it used to look like this – but nobody seems able to come up with a viable alternative. (I don't include "splitting the tools" as a viable alternative; even splitting off the relatively uncontroversial rollback function has caused huge amounts of idiocy and huge chunks of valid material "accidentaly" reverted. Once you get to the "high power" core admin functions, I can't imagine any grounds when I'd trust someone to block users but not to delete articles, for instance, so we'd still need an approval process for protect/block/delete.)

This post has been edited by Eva Destruction:
+Quote Post
guy

Postmaster General

Member No.: 23

QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Tue 15th July 2008, 12:24pm) *

The RFA process is undoubtedly a mess ?Çô lest we forget, it used to look like this

Ah yes, much more civilised then. It's still like that on some of the minor wikis.

+Quote Post
Kelly Martin

Bring back the guttersnipes!

Member No.: 6,696

QUOTE(guy @ Tue 15th July 2008, 1:06pm) *

The RFA process is undoubtedly a mess – lest we forget, it used to look like this

Ah yes, much more civilised then. It's still like that on some of the minor wikis.
It's amusing looking over those old admins and noting "Hey, there's Stevertigo, who got desysoped in a rather ugly way"; "Ah, RickK, the sockpuppeting sysop" (it's been conclusively proven now that Zoe and RickK are the same person, although the proof is not widely known); and of course Alex756, aka Alex Roshuk, who is well-known for leaving Wikipedia in a huff when Jimmy & Co. dememberized the Foundation.
+Quote Post
Eva Destruction

Fat Cat

QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Tue 15th July 2008, 3:24pm) *

QUOTE(guy @ Tue 15th July 2008, 1:06pm) *

The RFA process is undoubtedly a mess – lest we forget, it used to look like this

It's amusing looking over those old admins and noting "Hey, there's Stevertigo, who got desysoped in a rather ugly way"; "Ah, RickK, the sockpuppeting sysop" (it's been conclusively proven now that Zoe and RickK are the same person, although the proof is not widely known); and of course Alex756, aka Alex Roshuk, who is well-known for leaving Wikipedia in a huff when Jimmy & Co. dememberized the Foundation.

RickK, as in "Poster boy of the automated tools brigade" RickK?

This post has been edited by Eva Destruction:
+Quote Post
Kelly Martin

QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Tue 15th July 2008, 2:35pm) *
That's the one. Also known as User:Zoe. We long suspected that Zoe and RickK were one and the same, but had no proof, until recently. It's a moot point as Zoe hasn't edited since February 2007. If Rick is still around, he's editing under some other account that is, as of yet, not known to anyone other than him.
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(Alex @ Tue 15th July 2008, 6:01am) *

Wikipedia wouldn't serve its purpose, then, to be the world's largest revenge platform.
+Quote Post
Giggy

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(thekohser @ Wed 16th July 2008, 3:01am) *

QUOTE(Alex @ Tue 15th July 2008, 6:01am) *

Wikipedia wouldn't serve its purpose, then, to be the world's largest revenge platform.

Yes, and hundreds of people would have nothing left to do.
+Quote Post
michael

Group: Contributors

QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Tue 15th July 2008, 8:06am) *

That's the one. Also known as User:Zoe. We long suspected that Zoe and RickK were one and the same, but had no proof, until recently. It's a moot point as Zoe hasn't edited since February 2007. If Rick is still around, he's editing under some other account that is, as of yet, not known to anyone other than him.

Seriously? RickK was Zoe? How as this proof obtained? Did he admit to it, or what?
+Quote Post
everyking

Postmaster

QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Tue 15th July 2008, 4:06pm) *

I'd like to know more about this proof. I've always maintained RickK was one of the worst admins in WP history, but his legacy is much vaunted by some. A convincing display of evidence that he was engaged in such severe sockpuppetry would help in deflating the myth that such highly aggressive and unilateral admins can be a positive force.
+Quote Post
Kelly Martin

QUOTE(everyking @ Tue 15th July 2008, 10:28pm) *
I'd like to know more about this proof. I've always maintained RickK was one of the worst admins in WP history, but his legacy is much vaunted by some. A convincing display of evidence that he was engaged in such severe sockpuppetry would help in deflating the myth that such highly aggressive and unilateral admins can be a positive force.
The RickK and Zoe accounts both have the same password, and that password may be readily guessed from knowing RickK's email address, which is itself can be discovered with only moderate difficulty after analyzing some of Rick's comments on the wiki.

Technically, since RickK and Zoe never overlapped editing, it's not abusive sockpuppetry as defined by Wikipedia.
+Quote Post
Giggy

Ãœber Member

You mean he made his password the same (or similar) to his email address? O.o
+Quote Post
everyking

Postmaster

QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Wed 16th July 2008, 5:38am) *

QUOTE(everyking @ Tue 15th July 2008, 10:28pm) *
The RickK and Zoe accounts both have the same password, and that password may be readily guessed from knowing RickK's email address, which is itself can be discovered with only moderate difficulty after analyzing some of Rick's comments on the wiki.

Technically, since RickK and Zoe never overlapped editing, it's not abusive sockpuppetry as defined by Wikipedia.

How did you come to learn that they have the same password? Who did all this research? I don't see how this proof can be substantiated. Given my interactions with Rick, it's easy for me to believe that he was up to something like this, but given my interactions with you, it's hard for me to believe you about anything. I just realized something that makes me think you're telling the truth, though: Rick and Zoe were both extremely touchy about having Jimbo's approval. Zoe left the project over that, and I believe Rick threatened to. It may have been the reason he left as well; I don't quite remember. He claimed something about vandals being respected and good contributors being maligned, but since he constantly abused good contributors I doubt that was the real reason.
+Quote Post
Kelly Martin

QUOTE(everyking @ Wed 16th July 2008, 1:40am) *
How did you come to learn that they have the same password? Who did all this research? I don't see how this proof can be substantiated.
I am not going to discuss how we found this out, or who was involved in the research. It could be substantiated by logging into both accounts with the common password, but I'm not enough of a fool to post the password to a Wikipedia admin account on Wikipedia Review, or give it to you privately.

Eventually, I would imagine, someone with a brain over in Wikiland will see this and decide to suspend both accounts as the security risk they are, but until they do...

This post has been edited by Kelly Martin:
+Quote Post
Kelly Martin

QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Wed 16th July 2008, 6:40am) *
Eventually, I would imagine, someone with a brain over in Wikiland will see this and decide to suspend both accounts as the security risk they are, but until they do...
Thatcher emailed me asking for the password. I, of course, declined to tell him. He could try emailing RickK and/or Zoe; both accounts are email-enabled, after all (different addresses, too, which kinda surprised me, but Zoe's account is a Yahoo freebie).

+Quote Post
Daniel

Group: Contributors
Member No.: 4,657

It really didn't require a demonstration, but oh well. Both accounts desysopped and blocked.
+Quote Post
Newyorkbrad

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Wed 16th July 2008, 11:40am) *

QUOTE(everyking @ Wed 16th July 2008, 1:40am) *
How did you come to learn that they have the same password? Who did all this research? I don't see how this proof can be substantiated.
I am not going to discuss how we found this out, or who was involved in the research. It could be substantiated by logging into both accounts with the common password, but I'm not enough of a fool to post the password to a Wikipedia admin account on Wikipedia Review, or give it to you privately.

Publicizing this information in this way was highly inappropriate.
+Quote Post
Kelly Martin

QUOTE(Newyorkbrad @ Wed 16th July 2008, 10:46am) *
Probably. However, as Thatcher was more than willing to tell me in email, nobody in Wikiland would have believed me anyway:
So you expect some steward to take your word for it, or you hope someone will figure it out and get up to mischief in order to get the accounts blocked or something?
Tell me, Newyorkbrad, have you known me to lie?

+Quote Post
Newyorkbrad

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Wed 16th July 2008, 3:49pm) *

QUOTE(Newyorkbrad @ Wed 16th July 2008, 10:46am) *
Probably. However, as Thatcher was more than willing to tell me in email, nobody in Wikiland would have believed me anyway:
So you expect some steward to take your word for it, or you hope someone will figure it out and get up to mischief in order to get the accounts blocked or something?
Tell me, Newyorkbrad, have you known me to lie?

No. Incidentally, that second quote is not my writing. If it's an unauthorized quotation from a private e-mail, I would consider that inappropriate as well.

This post has been edited by Newyorkbrad:
+Quote Post
Kelly Martin

QUOTE(Newyorkbrad @ Wed 16th July 2008, 10:51am) *
No. Incidentally, that second quote is not my writing. If it's an unauthorized quotation from a private e-mail, I would consider that inappropriate as well.
It is an unauthorized quotation from an private e-mail (from Thatcher, as the text of my post indicates, although apparently not clearly enough; I tried to make the bbcode mark it as being Thatcher but I apparently fail at bbcode), and I don't care terribly much if you think it's inappropriate, as I'm sure you are already well aware. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Newyorkbrad

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Wed 16th July 2008, 3:56pm) *

QUOTE(Newyorkbrad @ Wed 16th July 2008, 10:51am) *
It is an unauthorized quotation from an private e-mail (from Thatcher, as the text of my post indicates, although apparently not clearly enough; I tried to make the bbcode mark it as being Thatcher but I apparently fail at bbcode), and I don't care terribly much if you think it's inappropriate, as I'm sure you are already well aware. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)

I think I am getting a taste of what life would have been like had we been in the Cabal at the same time. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Kelly Martin

QUOTE(Newyorkbrad @ Wed 16th July 2008, 10:58am) *
I think I am getting a taste of what life would have been like had we been in the Cabal at the same time. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)
Who knows, maybe you would have talked some sense into me, or vice versa.

As I said to Thatcher: "I have no real incentive to go out of my way to help Wikipedia; you've systematically treated me like shit for long enough that you have no expectation of anything other than arms-length dealings."
+Quote Post
Rootology

Fat Cat

Stupid question, but--what bit of publicized information was inappropriate, Brad? I'm assuming you mean the semi-vague instructions on how to find the RickK/Zoe password, assuming someone with a clue hasn't already changed it for security reasons, and not the fact the two accounts may be one and the same person? If it was a sock relationship why would that disclosure be inappropriate? Things like that are routinely disclosed...
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)