FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Ottava leaves Wikipedia -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> Help

This forum is for discussing specific Wikipedia editors, editing patterns, and general efforts by those editors to influence or direct content in ways that might not be in keeping with Wikipedia policy. Please source your claims and provide links where appropriate. For a glossary of terms frequently used when discussing Wikipedia and related projects, please refer to Wikipedia:Glossary.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ottava leaves Wikipedia
Coffee

Your favorite drink, with that perfect touch of bitterness.

Group: Contributors

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=324205438
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

I have as much free time as a Wikipedia admin!

Group: Regulars

"I am gone. I don't know when I will be back..." -- Ottava

Pity he didn't say he was leaving on a jet plane -- it would've been a fitting tribute to the late Mary Travers. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/ermm.gif)
+Quote Post
everyking

Postmaster

I recommend a technical measure to ensure that he doesn't cut his vacation short.
+Quote Post
Anonymous editor

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(everyking @ Thu 5th November 2009, 11:59pm) *

I recommend a technical measure to ensure that he doesn't cut his vacation short.

I concur, especially after skimming this:

Malleus, chin up. Sandy, you always do a great job. Karanacs, thank God you are about to help Sandy. Moni3, you are cute, haha. Ironholds, you better fix the law pages. Juliancolton, you are a fool for ever thinking about dodging this place. Peter Symonds, I don't have anything to say to you cause you know everything (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif). Casliber, I finally passed you. Kim Bruning, I hate you but I love you. Durova, you are annoying but only because you tend to be right about stuff that isn't pleasant. Awadewit, cheers on finishing up your doctorate - I hope I beat you of course (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif). Raul, you are a decent fellow and hopefully there will be many pleasant caturdays. Coincidentally, Lara, you are amusing although cruel (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif). Giano, continue to produce some nice articles. YellowMonkey, I never knew there could be so many cricket articles haha, but you did it (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif). Ceranthor, don't stop working as everything you touch seems to be well. GaryKing, keep to the sources but not too close and there will be many more beautiful pages. Ed17, safe sailing! Ceoil, may your beer never go flat and your potato never get cold. Jake, don't let the complainers get you down. Dave souza, you sure know how to make a fine article on classical science. Lar, I hate you but you are still a decent fellow (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif). Mrathel, sorry if I don't get about to finish the article, but you have my contact info and I can always sent you copy and paste of the texts so I hope the Odes will get finished in some way, or I could come back if I can manage not to be as upset. NW, you are a fun person as with NocturneNoir, and it was nice meeting you two. iMatthew and Garden, the cup was fun and you two were great to talk to. Luna, I doubt you'll ever see this but I think you'd make a fine Arb if you ever ran. Jdelanoy, you would also make a great Arb. Cary Bass, you have to be the most amusing WMF person I've ever talked to, but I've only talked to four of them (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif). RyanPost, you have a good head on your shoulders. DGG, you always have an interesting viewpoint and I can always trust you to have something reasonable to say. Fritzpol, make sure to run for ArbCom sometime because you have a good sense of fairness. Casliber, I finally beat you (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif). Wizardman, keep up the work even if it is about baseball haha. Prodego, you are so rigid but it is endearing. Nancy, always keep the faith. John Carter, you always were a great guy.
+Quote Post
cyofee

Let's start a betting pool about Ottava's date of return to Wikipedia.

My preliminary guess would be around two weeks from now.
+Quote Post
Somey

Can't actually moderate (or even post)

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 275

QUOTE(cyofee @ Fri 6th November 2009, 12:03am) *

Hasn't he done this sort of thing before? Or am I confusing him with someone else?

If you can manage to get through the whole entry, you'll see that he doesn't say anything particularly nasty about anyone. That's unusual, and while it seems logical to assume it means he'll be back in more like two days, I'm not so sure. Ottava is extremely stubborn and uncompromising, so something like that could very well mean that he's going to make a real effort to beat the psychological withdrawal and get off the drug.

Baah, what am I saying? Four days.
+Quote Post
SB_Johnny

It wasn't me who made honky-tonk angels

QUOTE(cyofee @ Fri 6th November 2009, 1:03am) *

Considering that it looks like the Arbcom was actually going to accept the case this time, I predict his return will be a rough one. Not a good play at brinksmanship.
+Quote Post
Eva Destruction

Fat Cat

QUOTE(cyofee @ Fri 6th November 2009, 6:03am) *

Four days. The Arbcom elections start on 10 November, and I don't believe Ottava will let the chance pass to share his opinions. Upper limit of 21 days, assuming Malleus still runs for RFA on 27 Nov, since there's no way Ottava won't wade into that particular argument.
+Quote Post
Kelly Martin

Bring back the guttersnipes!

Member No.: 6,696

My money is on the theory that he's already returned under a new username.
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

I have as much free time as a Wikipedia admin!

QUOTE(Somey @ Fri 6th November 2009, 4:07am) *

If you can manage to get through the whole entry, you'll see that he doesn't say anything particularly nasty about anyone.

I am surprised he didn't channel Terry Jacks and start singing "Goodbye to you, my trusted friend /we knew each other since we were nine or ten..." (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/dry.gif)

You will also notice that he talks to a good percentage of the same 150-200 people who inevitably migrate to RfA, RfArb, ANI, AfD or various talk pages and "projects" that set off our radars. For a project that supposedly encompasses 10.5 million registered users, it always seems fishy that the exact same people keep turning up over and over and over again in these discussions/farewells/smackdowns/non-vote !votes/trivia. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/bored.gif)

He will be back by this time next week. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/unsure.gif)

This post has been edited by A Horse With No Name:
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

τὰ δέ μοι παθήματα μαθήματα γέγονε

Member No.: 5,619

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Fri 6th November 2009, 8:55am) *

For a project that supposedly encompasses 10.5 million registered users …

But of course, most of them are me.

Ja Ja (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/boing.gif)
+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

Agreed--the Arbcom election is irresistible to him.

And supposedly he already has at least 20 socks set up. (A little birdy told me. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/sick.gif) )
+Quote Post
Wiki Witch of the West

From: Honey catches more flies than vinegar, but I still don't want to see your fly.
Member No.: 14,351

QUOTE(Somey @ Fri 6th November 2009, 9:07am) *

QUOTE(cyofee @ Fri 6th November 2009, 12:03am) *

Hasn't he done this sort of thing before? Or am I confusing him with someone else?

If you can manage to get through the whole entry, you'll see that he doesn't say anything particularly nasty about anyone. That's unusual, and while it seems logical to assume it means he'll be back in more like two days, I'm not so sure. Ottava is extremely stubborn and uncompromising, so something like that could very well mean that he's going to make a real effort to beat the psychological withdrawal and get off the drug.

Baah, what am I saying? Four days.

If he ever did this before I don't remember it. Since August he's contributed 7 featured articles and nearly 30 good articles on scholarly topics. Fantastic content writer; here's wishing he were better with people. Let's give him a little breathing room.
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

τὰ δέ μοι παθήματα μαθήματα γέγονε

Member No.: 5,619

QUOTE(Wiki Witch of the West @ Fri 6th November 2009, 4:10pm) *

breathing room

Godwin strikes again …

Jon (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/hrmph.gif)
+Quote Post
Wiki Witch of the West

From: Honey catches more flies than vinegar, but I still don't want to see your fly.

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Fri 6th November 2009, 10:08pm) *

QUOTE(Wiki Witch of the West @ Fri 6th November 2009, 4:10pm) *

breathing room

Godwin strikes again …

Jon (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/hrmph.gif)

Just because you're such a sweet person, Jon, here's the midafternoon weather report. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)

Luv ya!
+Quote Post
SB_Johnny

It wasn't me who made honky-tonk angels

Just curious Durova: when did I become a steward?

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=323931669

(And, uh, that was aimed at the people shooting the spitballs actually, more than at your buddy.)
+Quote Post
Wiki Witch of the West

QUOTE(SB_Johnny @ Fri 6th November 2009, 11:10pm) *

Just curious Durova: when did I become a steward?

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=323931669

(And, uh, that was aimed at the people shooting the spitballs actually, more than at your buddy.)

Sometimes I go by memory, which can be faulty. Apologies if the recollection was faulty. Must've been too much blood in my caffeine system.

Thought you'd appreciate the visuals for "whiskey, tango, foxtrot". But on a more serious note the criticism is well intentioned and serious.

It's hard to relate unless you've ever found yourself at the eye of a gale force wikistorm. But really, there were expletives tossed around at that discussion that stand out like sore thumbs to the person who's in sharpest focus. In that sort of situation it is very tempting to point to the inconsistency--he's being grilled for incivility while people with a much more obvious level of incivility go without a polite reminder. One of the hardest things to do in that situation is to make a realistic assessment of one's own shortcomings. A quiet and calm response really is better.

This post has been edited by Wiki Witch of the West:
+Quote Post
Text

If Ottava is a decent page maker he should just go to Wikipedia Review or Everything2, or something equivalent. No point in having your pages smashed by casual ip addresses, since the governors of the site have no interest in implementing better software.
+Quote Post
Coffee

Your favorite drink, with that perfect touch of bitterness.

QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Fri 6th November 2009, 7:44am) *

My money is on the theory that he's already returned under a new username.

Oooh me too... put me down for... 1,000 WikiDollars please! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/popcorn.gif)
+Quote Post
everyking

Postmaster

QUOTE(Wiki Witch of the West @ Fri 6th November 2009, 10:10pm) *

If he ever did this before I don't remember it. Since August he's contributed 7 featured articles and nearly 30 good articles on scholarly topics. Fantastic content writer; here's wishing he were better with people. Let's give him a little breathing room.

How persistent and severe would Ottava have to be in his attacks on other editors before his conduct would be deemed intolerable? Do you think it's possible that Ottava has been doing all that constructive editing because he realizes that he'd otherwise be quickly banned? If he was restricted in some way that prevented him from trolling, he'd probably lose interest in editing altogether, which may in fact be essentially what happened this time.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)