FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Shoemaker's Holiday flames out -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> Help

This forum is for discussing specific Wikipedia editors, editing patterns, and general efforts by those editors to influence or direct content in ways that might not be in keeping with Wikipedia policy. Please source your claims and provide links where appropriate. For a glossary of terms frequently used when discussing Wikipedia and related projects, please refer to Wikipedia:Glossary.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shoemaker's Holiday flames out
carbuncle

Fat Cat

Group: Regulars

There seems to have been some kind of feud going on between Shoemaker's Holiday and Durova over image restorations and something called "the WikiCup". If I understand the gist of the discussions on Talk:Featured picture candidates,
  • Shoemaker's Holiday felt that Durova was cheating,
  • Durova told him to fuck off during a conversation which had been recorded by Shoemaker's Holiday,
  • Shoemaker's Holiday uploaded the recording,
  • it was oversighted as copyvio,
  • Shoemaker's Holiday started throwing around accusations that "Durova has a corrupt oversighter in her pocket",
  • Durova referenced SH's Adam Cuerden account on commons which SH took as outing,
  • SH's head explodes all over WP:AN

Here's the short-lived AN discussion in full

What the fuck is going on here?

I was outed by Durova on WT:FPC. I've asked for it to be oversighted SIX FUCKING DAYS ago.

WHY hasn't anything been done? Has Wikipedia decided to throw out all its policies?

FURTHER VIOLATIONS OF POLICY IN THE LAST WEEK

* Wikipedia:Deletion_review#List_of_scientists_opposing_the_mainstream_scientific_assessment_of_global_warming is ful of votes that go directly against the Deletion guidelines.

* [5] as oversighted oin defiance of WP:OVBRSIGHT. Thje oversighters say that it is accepted, but couldn't damn well be bothered to change their stated rules, then complained about how horrible I was to ppoint out that it was against the stated rules after waiting three days for an explanation from the oversighter in question.

* As discussed on WT:FPC, Duroa attacked me off-site in an attempt to suppress dissent on her Featured picture nominations. When I brought it up, they said they didn't even want to see the evidence.

WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON HERE? CAN'T WIKIPEDIA FOLLOW IT'S OWN DAMN POLICIES ANYMORE?! Shoemaker's Holiday talk 17:28, 30 October 2009 (UTC)

* Please calm down, thanks. Majorly talk 17:30, 30 October 2009 (UTC)
* And to answer your question: It never did. And not everyone's interpretation of THE RULES is the same as yours. WP:TRUTH might be useful. --Stephan Schulz (talk) 17:32, 30 October 2009 (UTC)

STOP FUCKING AROUND AND OVERSIGHT THE FUCKING OUTING Shoemaker's Holiday talk 17:35, 30 October 2009 (UTC)

[indent]This sounds like something more suited for email to arbcom-l-at-lists.wikimedia.org, arbcom-audit-en-at-lists.wikimedia.org, or cu-ombuds-l-at-lists.wikimedia.org, since discussion at this noticeboard is likely to lead to further details being disclosed in the course of discussion that may prejudice future claims of anonymity. MBisanz talk 17:35, 30 October 2009 (UTC)

Jehochman wisely removed the thread soon after. SH hasn't been active since early November.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

τὰ δέ μοι παθήματα μαθήματα γέγονε

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 5,619

Is that a corrupt oversighter in your pocket … or …

(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/evilgrin.gif) (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif)
+Quote Post
CharlotteWebb

Postmaster General

QUOTE(carbuncle @ Fri 20th November 2009, 11:07pm) *
  • Durova told him to fuck off during a conversation which had been recorded by Shoemaker's Holiday,

(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/blink.gif) Whoa, awesome.
+Quote Post
GlassBeadGame

Dharma Bum

Group: Contributors
From: My name it means nothing. My age it means less. The country I come from is called the Mid-West.
Member No.: 981

The idea of someone cheating for something called a "Wikicup" is just hilarious.
+Quote Post
Somey

Can't actually moderate (or even post)

Member No.: 275

I'm guessing the "corrupt oversighter" is supposed to be Rlevse (T-C-L-K-R-D) :

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=322599373

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...alk_page_is_for

So he's actually correct in that respect, but it's understandable that nobody will listen to him. Shoemaker's Holiday (T-C-L-K-R-D) has been showing a penchant for histrionics ever since "health problems" meant he was "unable to go to university this year," which seems to have resulted in "a complete breakdown" that Durova was "fully aware of." There was also that incident over the audio file of the WikiVoices Roundtable session that never got uploaded, for reasons still never publicly explained (though presumably it was because Greg Kohs was involved).
+Quote Post
dogbiscuit

Could you run through Verifiability not Truth once more?

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,015

Oddly enough, that conversation leads to a complete tangent where Durova does some OR in discovering her source is wrong.

She seems to prefer Truth, not Verifiability. She won't last long like that. Someone tell Slim quick.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=322559840

QUOTE(Durova)
The Library of Congress is a reliable source, and once in a blue moon reliable sources are wrong.
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(carbuncle @ Fri 20th November 2009, 6:07pm) *
  • Shoemaker's Holiday uploaded the recording,

Oh, the irony.

I wonder how Risker and all the others who were "disappointed" in my having to be re-banned, thanks to my dust-up with this Adam "Shoemaker's Holiday" Cuerden critter, are feeling about backing him as their horse?
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

Known alias of J. Random Troll

QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Fri 20th November 2009, 6:24pm) *

Oddly enough, that conversation leads to a complete tangent where Durova does some OR in discovering her source is wrong.

She seems to prefer Truth, not Verifiability. She won't last long like that. Someone tell Slim quick.

QUOTE(Durova)
The Library of Congress is a reliable source, and once in a blue moon reliable sources are wrong.

Gadzooks, it's actually the Dred Earl Roberts! Our Cluedo guess had formerly been Lord Kitchener, in the library, with a pen. Or at least General Gordon, at Khartoum, with a sword. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Fri 20th November 2009, 7:34pm) *

The idea of someone cheating for something called a "Wikicup" is just hilarious.

I had to go and G◉◉gle It … and here I didn't even know that Sh♀♀maker's H♀liday was a girl.

Just chalk it up to my education …

Jon (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/sick.gif)
+Quote Post
Somey

QUOTE(thekohser @ Fri 20th November 2009, 9:23pm) *
I wonder how Risker and all the others who were "disappointed" in my having to be re-banned, thanks to my dust-up with this Adam "Shoemaker's Holiday" Cuerden critter, are feeling about backing him as their horse?

I have to say, this user's behavior is so genuinely weird, with such over-the-top histrionics, I have to wonder if his recent WP activities aren't all some sort of big joke, or what the WP'ers would call "performance art."

The article where he's been having the most trouble (up until this incident, anyway) is List of scientists opposing the mainstream scientific assessment of global warming (T-H-L-K-D). SH claims to believe in the mainstream scientific assessment of global warming, but believes that this article is being used as a "coat-rack" for WP fringe theorists who are taking quotes from various scientists "out of context" and thus creating an article that's essentially a sneaky anti-GW backdoor into WP, not to mention full of BLP violations. At least that's the impression I got. He might actually be right, but he's in the minority as far as the other WP'ers are concerned, including William M. Connelley (T-C-L-K-R-D) and Polargeo (T-C-L-K-R-D) , who SH accused of "trolling" in an edit summary after he tried to get SH to reconsider this DRV on the article after it had been kept by a less-than-overwhelming majority.

This article even garnered an appearance from SlimVirgin, who after not having done much with it previously, swooped in to remove a whole bunch of POV and other tags from it because she felt there was "no need" for all of them. (To be fair, she was probably right.)

What it looks like to me is that SH has failed to get his way too many times on WP, and he's really, really pissed off about it - but rather than just leave, he seems hell-bent on making sure everyone knows why he's pissed off, and also making sure everyone feels as guilty about opposing him as possible, by his inclusion of multiple references to his recent (unexplained?) medical problems.
+Quote Post
Wiki Witch of the West

From: Honey catches more flies than vinegar, but I still don't want to see your fly.
Member No.: 14,351

QUOTE(Somey @ Sat 21st November 2009, 12:40am) *

I'm guessing the "corrupt oversighter" is supposed to be Rlevse (T-C-L-K-R-D) :

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=322599373

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...alk_page_is_for

So he's actually correct in that respect, but it's understandable that nobody will listen to him. Shoemaker's Holiday (T-C-L-K-R-D) has been showing a penchant for histrionics ever since "health problems" meant he was "unable to go to university this year," which seems to have resulted in "a complete breakdown" that Durova was "fully aware of." There was also that incident over the audio file of the WikiVoices Roundtable session that never got uploaded, for reasons still never publicly explained (though presumably it was because Greg Kohs was involved).

Dead wrong, Somey. When he made that accusation onsite he already had an invitation to talk it over with any Oversighter. I had emailed the request to the Oversight list. Perfectly standard and above board.

Sorry, the princess is in another castle. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/wink.gif)

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Sat 21st November 2009, 3:38am) *

QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Fri 20th November 2009, 6:24pm) *

QUOTE(Durova)

Gadzooks, it's actually the Dred Earl Roberts! Our Cluedo guess had formerly been Lord Kitchener, in the library, with a pen. Or at least General Gordon, at Khartoum, with a sword. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/blink.gif)

Milton, the Signpost reported on this in the November 11 issue. That correction came courtesy of Roger Davies, who supplied two separate reliable sources. LoC confirmed Roger's research and is updating their bibliographic records.

This post has been edited by Wiki Witch of the West:
+Quote Post
Somey

QUOTE(Wiki Witch of the West @ Fri 20th November 2009, 11:02pm) *
Dead wrong, Somey. When he made that accusation onsite he already had an invitation to talk it over with any Oversighter.

Dead wrong about which part? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/unsure.gif)

If you're referring to the bit about Rlevse being "corrupt," I didn't necessarily mean that this particular incident (or the specific accusation) proved he was "corrupt." Also, it depends on how you define "corrupt," I suppose. I'm sure he doesn't accept bribes, or anything like that.

Unless you meant that the invitation to talk things over with any Oversighter meant that my suggestion that "nobody would listen to him" is incorrect? You may be right I suppose, but of course an invitation to talk doesn't equal an actual attempt to listen, much less actually address his "concerns" - which are mostly specious regardless, right? It's a no-win situation.

In general there's probably no way you can "win" with someone like Shoemaker's Holiday (T-H-L-K-D), based on what I'm seeing. He's simply going to be a source of interpersonal problems, a "drama-magnet," or both at the same time.

And what did happen to that recording, anyway?
+Quote Post
trenton

QUOTE(Somey @ Sat 21st November 2009, 12:09am) *

In general there's probably no way you can "win" with someone like Shoemaker's Holiday (T-H-L-K-D), based on what I'm seeing. He's simply going to be a source of interpersonal problems, a "drama-magnet," or both at the same time.

Out of two people, one of whom is Durova, I would never have imagined the other person being labeled the drama-magnet (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif)
+Quote Post
Somey

QUOTE(trenton @ Sat 21st November 2009, 12:36am) *
Out of two people, one of whom is Durova, I would never have imagined the other person being labeled the drama-magnet (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif)

Just to be clear, I would say Durova is more like a large piece of drama-iron who is irresistibly attracted to drama-magnets, and is such a heavy presence once she arrives on the scene that it's difficult to distinguish between her and the drama-magnet - and indeed, there may be no practical difference at that point.

Still, I don't think she deliberately starts or initiates problems, only deliberately gets involved in them and draws more unnecessary attention to them, often not for the general betterment of all. In some ways she might also compound problems, which some would say is the same thing.
+Quote Post
Wiki Witch of the West

From: Honey catches more flies than vinegar, but I still don't want to see your fly.

QUOTE(Somey @ Sat 21st November 2009, 6:09am) *

QUOTE(Wiki Witch of the West @ Fri 20th November 2009, 11:02pm) *
Dead wrong, Somey. When he made that accusation onsite he already had an invitation to talk it over with any Oversighter.

Dead wrong about which part? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/unsure.gif)

If you're referring to the bit about Rlevse being "corrupt," I didn't necessarily mean that this particular incident (or the specific accusation) proved he was "corrupt." Also, it depends on how you define "corrupt," I suppose. I'm sure he doesn't accept bribes, or anything like that.

Unless you meant that the invitation to talk things over with any Oversighter meant that my suggestion that "nobody would listen to him" is incorrect? You may be right I suppose, but of course an invitation to talk doesn't equal an actual attempt to listen, much less actually address his "concerns" - which are mostly specious regardless, right? It's a no-win situation.

And what did happen to that recording, anyway?

Well, it also depends on how you define the acting oversighter. To the best of my knowledge it wasn't Rlevse. So let Rlevse wriggle off that hook, okay?

As for the latter part of your post, good points there. Shoemaker does fantastic content work and some of his best strengths are in encyclopedic media content where WMF has very few volunteers. It's a shame to see that much talent in someone who--well--can't dispute the negatives. If you'll excuse it, though, after having torn a hole into him that badly in private would rather not pour salt on it here.
+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

QUOTE(Somey @ Fri 20th November 2009, 10:45pm) *
Just to be clear, I would say Durova is more like a large piece of drama-iron who is irresistibly attracted to drama-magnets, and is such a heavy presence once she arrives on the scene that it's difficult to distinguish between her and the drama-magnet - and indeed, there may be no practical difference at that point.

Yup. Should be obvious by now.
+Quote Post
thekohser

Durova, now might be a good time to finally disclose -- why exactly was Episode 45 of Wikivoices suppressed by Adam Cuerden?
+Quote Post
anthony

Postmaster

QUOTE(thekohser @ Sat 21st November 2009, 12:59pm) *

Durova, now might be a good time to finally disclose -- why exactly was Episode 45 of Wikivoices suppressed by Adam Cuerden?

Just another "great success story" for unorganized crowdsourcing. Things like this happen when you work on the belief that "volunteers can't be told what to do".

This post has been edited by anthony:
+Quote Post
Wiki Witch of the West

You'd be better off getting that from the horse's mouth, Greg. What I had done my best to ensure was to match up the episode to one dedicated editor. WikiVoices had two audio editors who were really on the ball: Privatemusings and Filll. When either of them made a commitment the episode got done, pronto. But Filll moved on to other things and Privatemusings isn't around very much anymore. We've got several other people who have the skills but don't always prioritize, and they got into the habit of "sharing" editing work. Which tends to slow things down even more. X says "Y has it" or "Y's doing that part". A day and a half later Y comes on and responds "I said I'd take a look at it but I didn't make any promises." Then wait for X to log on again...

I've often thought about learning the software and picking up audio editing too. Haven't done so because of the worry that extra recordings would happen without a commitment from me, and the editing would end up in my lap.

We really do need another good dependable editor.
+Quote Post
Wiki Witch of the West

QUOTE(anthony @ Sat 21st November 2009, 2:06pm) *

Just another "great success story" for unorganized crowdsourcing. Things like this happen when you work on the belief that "volunteers can't be told what to do".

Anthony, sometimes within a pool of volunteer labor you get what you pay for. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
GlassBeadGame

Dharma Bum

From: My name it means nothing. My age it means less. The country I come from is called the Mid-West.

QUOTE(Wiki Witch of the West @ Sat 21st November 2009, 1:57pm) *

Anthony, sometimes within a pool of volunteer labor you get what you pay for. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/wink.gif)

No need to denigrate volunteers. Volunteer do wonderful things. They build houses for the homeless and feed the hungry. They are held accountable for their actions. They are vetted and supervised. What we are taking about here is something else...and less. Mere content providers like you and your other Wikipedians are every bit as irresponsible as you indicate here. Not just sometimes either. But there is no reason to soil volunteers with your faults.
+Quote Post
anthony

Postmaster

QUOTE(Wiki Witch of the West @ Sat 21st November 2009, 6:57pm) *

And sometimes you get more than you paid for. Volunteers can be productive, and volunteers can be counter-productive. Just because you're a volunteer project doesn't mean you can't weed out the counter-productive individuals.

Productive volunteers *want* to be told what to do. Like any other worker they don't want to be micromanaged - most want a high degree of creative freedom. But you don't tell a bunch of Habitat for Humanity volunteers "there are a bunch of pieces of wood, some nails, and some hammers; go do something cool with it".

I suspect that sooner or later people are going to stop participating in Wikivoices if y'all don't get your act together. These copyright issues should be resolved before the session starts.

This post has been edited by anthony:
+Quote Post
gomi

Group: Members

QUOTE(Somey @ Fri 20th November 2009, 4:40pm) *
Shoemaker's Holiday (T-C-L-K-R-D) has been showing a penchant for histrionics ever since "health problems" meant he was "unable to go to university this year," which seems to have resulted in "a complete breakdown" that Durova was "fully aware of." ...
... I would say Durova is more like a large piece of drama-iron who is irresistibly attracted to drama-magnets, ... she ... only deliberately gets involved in them and draws more unnecessary attention to them, often not for the general betterment of all.

I suppose the answer to this is so obvious as to make it a non-question, but why is it that the Wikipedia drama-mongers, drama-whores, etc are all, to some significant degree, bent, damaged, or broken people? I mean, they can't go to college because of some unspecified health problem, or they edit in bizarre 36-hour stretches, they've been disbarred, they're philanderers or they fondle animals, or they're nationalist or religious zealots. It goes on and on.

I'll answer my own question: I suppose the bizarre, broken, damaged people drive the normal ones out, and any normal people who persist can be expected to keep a low profile, out of natural reticence and also self-preservation. But still. It's so much worse than one would expect.
+Quote Post
GlassBeadGame

Dharma Bum

QUOTE(gomi @ Sat 21st November 2009, 2:19pm) *

Shoemaker's Holiday (T-C-L-K-R-D) has been showing a penchant for histrionics ever since "health problems" meant he was "unable to go to university this year," which seems to have resulted in "a complete breakdown" that Durova was "fully aware of." ...
... I would say Durova is more like a large piece of drama-iron who is irresistibly attracted to drama-magnets, ... she ... only deliberately gets involved in them and draws more unnecessary attention to them, often not for the general betterment of all.

I suppose the answer to this is so obvious as to make it a non-question, but why is it that the Wikipedia drama-mongers, drama-whores, etc are all, to some significant degree, bent, damaged, or broken people? I mean, they can't go to college because of some unspecified health problem, or they edit in bizarre 36-hour stretches, they've been disbarred, they're philanderers or they fondle animals, or they're nationalist or religious zealots. It goes on and on.

I'll answer my own question: I suppose the bizarre, broken, damaged people drive the normal ones out, and any normal people who persist can be expected to keep a low profile, out of natural reticence and also self-preservation. But still. It's so much worse than one would expect.

This why I like the word "monster" to describe Ms. Durova and other like her. The word has two important aspects. First the idea of deformity and distortion. Second, most related to the words origin, the making a show or display. Almost a perfect word to describe them.
+Quote Post
Wiki Witch of the West

QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Sat 21st November 2009, 7:30pm) *

This why I like the word "monster" to describe Ms. Durova and other like her. The word has two important aspects. First the idea of deformity and distortion. Second, most related to the words origin, the making a show or display. Almost a perfect word to describe them.

Dehumanizing people isn't a very effective way to develop insight. The reason I stood up for Shoemaker's Holiday, at first, was simple: his arbitration was a nonemergency case that began voting twelve hours after it opened while he was requesting time to study for university exams. Not to get into all the ins and outs of why it was a bad case, it's one of only two in site history that ArbCom has vacated (the other was Orangemarlin).

Before that arbitration case he had never been in formal dispute resolution and had been basically uncontroversial. The only area where he had locked horns with other editors had been homeopathy--and pretty much anybody gets into conflict there (homeopaths and allopaths playing tug o' war with the NPOV rope).

So during arbitration I got to know the fellow, discovered some of our editing interests overlapped, and was truly impressed with his work. He writes featured articles about Gilbert and Sullivan; he restores eighteenth century engravings. What's not to respect about that? The arbitration case had obviously taken a lot out of him. I was angry about how his case had gone and worried about what WMF had nearly lost, especially in terms of audio restoration: due to copyright laws, public domain audio often means restoring wax cylinders. This dude restored Enrico Caruso's singing. There was no other volunteer who who had those skills until Shoemaker trained more people.

I hoped the outbursts would subside, especially after the arbitration got vacated. Didn't happen. Am not sure whether he was always that way but it just hadn't surfaced or whether the arbitration changed him. That prospect might seem silly from a distance, but Wikipedia's arbitration process really is tough on the people who sit in the hot seat. One of the ways arbitration works is by putting people through so much stress that some of them become erratic and demonstrate that sanctions are necessary. That's not an intentional feature of the system, but no Wikipedia arbitrator has ever been on the short end of a case. They haven't walked a mile in the moccasins.

+Quote Post
GlassBeadGame

Dharma Bum

QUOTE(Wiki Witch of the West @ Sat 21st November 2009, 3:34pm) *

QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Sat 21st November 2009, 7:30pm) *

Dehumanizing people isn't a very effective way to develop insight.

Your humanness is part of what makes you a monster. But not to worry. I will not be taking you out with a predator drone, cruise missile or massive B52 bomb drop. Only criticizing you.
+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

QUOTE(gomi @ Sat 21st November 2009, 11:19am) *

Because Wikipedia is the only "hobby site" that will have them?

If you ran a forum about some obscure subject, would you let someone like Lise Broer have the run of the place, or give her sysop powers? I might let her in, but wouldn't ever in hell give her the keys to the place. The way Jimbo's Magical Flea Circus did.

(And to be complete and equable, I'd treat Shoemaker's Holiday in a similar fashion. Don't trust either of them.)

This post has been edited by EricBarbour:
+Quote Post
Sarcasticidealist

Head exploded.

Member No.: 4,536

QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Sat 21st November 2009, 6:47pm) *
If you ran a forum about some obscure subject, would you let someone like Lise Broer have the run of the place, or give her sysop powers? I might let her in, but wouldn't ever in hell give her the keys to the place. The way Jimbo's Magical Flea Circus did.
I don't think I can concede that Wikipedia's poor/non-existent governance is unique or even unusual among online communities. When you combine it with the stated goal, financial backing, and general prominence, it probably becomes somewhat more so, but online communities as a whole tend to be extremely poorly governed. They also tend to attract people who don't function so well in offline communities, so Wikipedia's not unique there either.
+Quote Post
MZMcBride

Ãœber Member

What? You're looking at a few high-profile examples out of maybe 50,000[*] accounts? How is this a valid conclusion to draw? Wouldn't the people who come to your attention on this site almost necessarily be the atypical and crazier of the bunch? I would certainly think so.

[*] Special:Statistics says 150,000-ish active users, but I'm willing to knock off 100,000.
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(Wiki Witch of the West @ Sat 21st November 2009, 1:22pm) *

You'd be better off getting that from the horse's mouth, Greg. What I had done my best to ensure was to match up the episode to one dedicated editor. WikiVoices had two audio editors who were really on the ball: Privatemusings and Filll. When either of them made a commitment the episode got done, pronto. But Filll moved on to other things and Privatemusings isn't around very much anymore. We've got several other people who have the skills but don't always prioritize, and they got into the habit of "sharing" editing work. Which tends to slow things down even more. X says "Y has it" or "Y's doing that part". A day and a half later Y comes on and responds "I said I'd take a look at it but I didn't make any promises." Then wait for X to log on again...

I've often thought about learning the software and picking up audio editing too. Haven't done so because of the worry that extra recordings would happen without a commitment from me, and the editing would end up in my lap.

We really do need another good dependable editor.

Once again, you minimize and you deflect. We had two people perfectly willing and able to edit the audio file, if only it had been released. Instead, it was deliberately withheld. And you continued to welcome that sniveling critter within your ranks, enamored with his Gilbert & Sullivan bullcrap that nobody cares about in this century.

To continue the Habitat for Humanity comparison, imagine a crew of 15 unskilled and skilled volunteer builders arrives at a construction site. Adam Cuerden pulls up in the pick-up truck with all the tools, locked in the tool bin in the back. As he gets out of the truck, he feels like he has a severe headache and he just knows that today he will not be able to do any productive building. So, he drives home, telling the 15 other workers that he'll try to come back another day, but it might be a few days. A week later, someone politely asks if he feels ready to come to the site again. He says, "No, my headaches are too awful", but then people notice he's painting his house, and he's finishing his neighbor's basement, so they point this out. He becomes offended. Then someone says, "Look, if you can't bring yourself to drive the truck to the site, I'll be happy to do it, or Ross over here would also be willing to give it a shot." Cuerden cries back, "No, no, no! One or two of the workers asked me that I not bring the truck -- ever -- to this construction site, because they're afraid that they'll hammer the nails backwards and look silly. So, this house is never going to get built."

Then you invite this critter to drive the truck to another home site.

It's downright sinister how you've reframed the whole story, Durova. And you know it. And it tickles your little witchy feet in your wicked witchy shoes to click them together and cackle, knowing full well that you're minimizing and deflecting, once again.
+Quote Post
GlassBeadGame

Dharma Bum

QUOTE(thekohser @ Sat 21st November 2009, 7:17pm) *

It's downright sinister how you've reframed the whole story, Durova.

One might even say monstrous.
+Quote Post
Wiki Witch of the West

QUOTE(thekohser @ Sun 22nd November 2009, 12:17am) *

Once again, you minimize and you deflect. We had two people perfectly willing and able to edit the audio file, if only it had been released. Instead, it was deliberately withheld. And you continued to welcome that sniveling critter within your ranks, enamored with his Gilbert & Sullivan bullcrap that nobody cares about in this century.

To continue the Habitat for Humanity comparison, imagine a crew of 15 unskilled and skilled volunteer builders arrives at a construction site. Adam Cuerden pulls up in the pick-up truck with all the tools, locked in the tool bin in the back. As he gets out of the truck, he feels like he has a severe headache and he just knows that today he will not be able to do any productive building. So, he drives home, telling the 15 other workers that he'll try to come back another day, but it might be a few days. A week later, someone politely asks if he feels ready to come to the site again. He says, "No, my headaches are too awful", but then people notice he's painting his house, and he's finishing his neighbor's basement, so they point this out. He becomes offended. Then someone says, "Look, if you can't bring yourself to drive the truck to the site, I'll be happy to do it, or Ross over here would also be willing to give it a shot." Cuerden cries back, "No, no, no! One or two of the workers asked me that I not bring the truck -- ever -- to this construction site, because they're afraid that they'll hammer the nails backwards and look silly. So, this house is never going to get built."

Then you invite this critter to drive the truck to another home site.

It's downright sinister how you've reframed the whole story, Durova. And you know it. And it tickles your little witchy feet in your wicked witchy shoes to click them together and cackle, knowing full well that you're minimizing and deflecting, once again.

The structure of WikiVoices is less top-down than that analogy implies. He wasn't the original audio editor. I had very strongly advised the original editor against attempting to share the responsibility with anybody else. To the point of saying if that were going to happen then I wouldn't host. But of course after the recording was made I couldn't prevent people from trying it anyway. Believe me, a couple of people got reamed out in private over that.

The horse has had a nice horse funeral and doesn't need another beating.

During the aftermath of this some people have wondered why you pushed the issue so hard and so long, Greg. Yes, you did make a positive impression during the recording. I could understand why you'd want that published. But the manner in which you've followed up has more than undone that good impression. Somebody (not from WikiVoices) linked me to this thread a moment ago and said your post is the kind of thing that makes them lose interest in helping you get unblocked.

+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(Wiki Witch of the West @ Sat 21st November 2009, 9:11pm) *

...your post is the kind of thing that makes them lose interest in helping you get unblocked.

Ah, yes. It's all my fault, once again. I suppose I've got nothing left to live for now, except maybe to give misleading information to journalists that will be published in the mainstream press.
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

QUOTE(thekohser @ Sat 21st November 2009, 9:46pm) *

QUOTE(Wiki Witch of the West @ Sat 21st November 2009, 9:11pm) *

…your post is the kind of thing that makes them lose interest in helping you get unblocked.

Ah, yes. It's all my fault, once again. I suppose I've got nothing left to live for now, except maybe to give misleading information to journalists that will be published in the mainstream press.

Good grief, Man, you just got through lecturing PD about wasting his time.

Put her on your ignore list and get on with your life.

Wikipediots ain't good for nuttin if they aint good for comedy, and this one has become too big a bore to even be funny anymore.

Jon (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif)
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

Known alias of J. Random Troll

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Sat 21st November 2009, 7:52pm) *

Greg lectures me about being terrible sock-finder, too.

BTW, I don't see ol' Happy Drinker around much these days... (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
thekohser

Jon's right. I really have to finish my e-book!

But, this is just so darn funny, too.

P.S. Oh dear.

This post has been edited by thekohser:
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

QUOTE(thekohser @ Sat 21st November 2009, 11:03pm) *

Jon's right. I really have to finish my e-book!

But, this is just so darn funny, too.

P.S. Oh dear.

Sometimes a typo is just a typo …

Cuerden creates the sock puppet Vainished User

Not this time …

+Quote Post
Wiki Witch of the West

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Sun 22nd November 2009, 2:52am) *

Put her on your ignore list and get on with your life.

Wikipediots ain't good for nuttin if they aint good for comedy, and this one has become too big a bore to even be funny anymore.

Great advice, Jon. Let's see if either of you take it. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/rolleyes.gif)

Buzzin' back to Ye Olde Hive to work on content.

And y'know, throughout this thread I grit my teeth in anticipation of Now she's talking about me on Wikipedia Review!

Can't please everyone.
+Quote Post
Somey

QUOTE(Wiki Witch of the West @ Sat 21st November 2009, 10:48pm) *
Can't please everyone.

Yeah, but how many times can you cheat, dissemble, cover-up, smear, or grossly exaggerate, followed by consistently saying the problem really lies with the people who point these things out and the "manner" in which they do so, before they won't let you do it again?

On Wikipedia I assume they'll let you keep it up indefinitely, but here we have so-called "standards"...
+Quote Post
Wiki Witch of the West

QUOTE(Somey @ Sun 22nd November 2009, 5:17am) *

QUOTE(Wiki Witch of the West @ Sat 21st November 2009, 10:48pm) *
Can't please everyone.

Yeah, but how many times can you cheat, dissemble, cover-up, smear, or grossly exaggerate, followed by consistently saying the problem really lies with the people who point these things out and the "manner" in which they do so, before they won't let you do it again?

On Wikipedia I assume they'll let you keep it up indefinitely, but here we have so-called "standards"...

You'd be the expert on that. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/wink.gif)

More seriously, I made a public apology to Greg at the Foundation list months ago. If he doesn't want to accept it that's up to him. We goofed up that episode at WikiVoices, no doubt about it. I won't don a hairshirt forever about it, and that doesn't mean his conduct is perfect.

Really, one of the things I was telling the audio editors when I was trying to get this episode done was that I really didn't want to antagonize Greg especially. He's intelligent and charming, but we all have our strengths and our weaknesses. He tends to be less charming when he isn't getting what he wants.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)