FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Setting up your own wiki encyclopaedia -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> Setting up your own wiki encyclopaedia
A User

Group: Contributors

Can anyone recommend any sites that show step by step how to set up your own wiki encyclopaedia?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
wikademia.org

Gloible Foible

Group: On Vacation
Member No.: 10,113

you do know about Encyc.org, right?!
+Quote Post
A User

QUOTE(wikademia.org @ Fri 8th January 2010, 4:28pm) *

you do know about Encyc.org, right?!

I don't think Encyc.org will challenge wikipedia anytime soon. All their articles are basically one to two sentence stubs.
+Quote Post
thekohser

Group: Regulars

QUOTE(WikiWatch @ Fri 8th January 2010, 4:14am) *

I don't think Encyc.org will challenge wikipedia anytime soon. All their articles are basically one to two sentence stubs.

WikiWatch, who are you? (If you're disclosing.)

What are you trying to accomplish? Trying to challenge Wikipedia with an alternate venue? Do you have at least $1,000,000? Because those are the bare minimum table stakes to create a site that will get into the Alexa 1000.

What is your unique proposition that will make your site a challenge to Wikipedia?

On my site, I dreamed optimistically that editors' "ownership" of articles about yourself or your business, plus transitory ownership of articles about other legal entities, coupled with the ability to earn AdSense revenues (keeping 100% of them for themselves), topped off with the wonders of Semantic Web architecture for search engine optimization and internal multi-layered search capabilities, would have me at 3% of Wikipedia's market share within two years.

Well, after two years, my site earns 0.000856% of the English Wikipedia's page traffic, as the 37,789th most visited site on the Internet, among Americans.

Although (according to Alexa), my site has a wider global reach than the web home of the Brazilian government (brasil.gov.br), as well as the home page of the 10th largest company in America (Valero.com).

So, while you're pooh-poohing Encyc.org, let me just say that your asking how to install wiki software suggests to me that you likewise don't have what it takes to "challenge Wikipedia anytime soon".

This post has been edited by thekohser:
+Quote Post
anthony

Postmaster

QUOTE(thekohser @ Fri 8th January 2010, 3:14pm) *

Well, after two years, my site earns 0.000856% of the English Wikipedia's page traffic, as the 37,789th most visited site on the Internet, among Americans.

Ha, did you know you're more popular than Citizendium?
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(anthony @ Sat 13th March 2010, 7:28pm) *

In the United States, and according to Alexa... wow, I guess that's true.
+Quote Post
Eva Destruction

Fat Cat

QUOTE(thekohser @ Sun 14th March 2010, 4:02am) *

QUOTE(anthony @ Sat 13th March 2010, 7:28pm) *

In the United States, and according to Alexa... wow, I guess that's true.

You're still behind Boobpedia in both the worldwide and US traffic rankings, though.
+Quote Post
DawnofMan

Neophyte

Emperor,

Your Wiki seems to suffer from some of the same ills as Wikipedia: dweeb admins like Nathan running around pushing buttons willy nilly.

It also appears to be an experiment in social media rather than an earnest attempt at encyclopedia building...?

This post has been edited by DawnofMan:
+Quote Post
Emperor

Postmaster

QUOTE(DawnofMan @ Sun 14th March 2010, 7:07pm) *

Emperor,

Your Wiki seems to suffer from some of the same ills as Wikipedia: dweeb admins like Nathan running around pushing buttons willy nilly.

It also appear to be an experiment in social media rather than an earnest attempt at encyclopedia building?

Nathan used to be a moderator here on Wikipedia Review. He's also a great administrator, and has donated significant amounts of time towards making Encyc a better place.

If your referring to his block and then unblock of ChildofMidnight, it looks like they're talking it out.
+Quote Post
DawnofMan

Neophyte

QUOTE(Emperor @ Sun 14th March 2010, 4:46pm) *

QUOTE(DawnofMan @ Sun 14th March 2010, 7:07pm) *

Emperor,

It also appear to be an experiment in social media rather than an earnest attempt at encyclopedia building?

Nathan used to be a moderator here on Wikipedia Review. He's also a great administrator, and has donated significant amounts of time towards making Encyc a better place.

If your referring to his block and then unblock of ChildofMidnight, it looks like they're talking it out.

If your idea of a great admin is someone who blocks a new editor without any explanation or discussion and then improperly reverts a series of constructive changes, all I can say is: it's not too surprising that your Wiki isn't exactly prospering. I don't see any evidence that Nathan has made an effort to "talk out" anything. He certainly hasn't attempted to make an apology for behaving like a boob.

I do see that you're aware of the situation and have chosen to offer the proverbial tea instead of attempting to engage in adult communication or explanation. Perhaps respectful discussion among colleagues is too much to ask in this internet age? I'm not seeing any effort at real change, just more of the same. Why create a mirror Wikipedia?

This post has been edited by DawnofMan:
+Quote Post
Emperor

Postmaster

QUOTE(DawnofMan @ Sun 14th March 2010, 9:01pm) *

If your idea of a great admin is someone who blocks a new editor without any explanation or discussion and then improperly reverts a series of constructive changes, all I can say is: it's not too surprising that your Wiki isn't exactly prospering. I don't see any evidence that Nathan has made an effort to "talk out" anything. He certainly hasn't attempted to make an apology for behaving like a boob.

I do see that you're aware of the situation and have chosen to offer the proverbial tea instead of attempting to engage in adult communication or explanation. Perhaps respectful discussion among colleagues is too much to ask in this internet age? I'm not seeing any effort at real change, just more of the same. Why create a mirror Wikipedia?

Like I said on Encyc, I have some sympathy for your situation. I'm sure that Wikipedia kicked you around some. I think that you could be a good editor somewhere, and I hope that it works out. If not, I wish you the best of luck wherever you wind up.
+Quote Post
A User

I would like to thank Dan Tobias, Gregory Kohs, and Emperor for their advice. You guys will be mentioned on my credits page. My encyclopædia using mediawiki is up and running. Without any technical help, it wasn't as difficult as I first thought. The hardest part was finding a decent name - most of the good encyclopædia names were already taken long ago. I won't be making an announcement on its address until after I complete testing and upload some articles. Thanks everyone.

This post has been edited by WikiWatch:
+Quote Post
A User

Looks like Encyc has been swamped with vandals:

http://encyc.org/w/index.php?title=Special...anges&limit=500

(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/unhappy.gif)
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
WikiWatch   Setting up your own wiki encyclopaedia  
wikademia.org   sure! great question! http://www.mediaw...  
WikiWatch   you do know about Encyc.org, right?! Yes, t...  
Emperor   [quote name='wikademia.org' post='214331' date='F...  
Cock-up-over-conspiracy   MediaWiki installation is not user-friendly at all...  
CharlotteWebb   Installation is fairly easy. Choosing a catchy dom...  
DawnofMan   Would someone just hurry up and create an alternat...  
Emperor   Would someone just hurry up and create an alterna...  
BelovedFox   [quote name='DawnofMan' post='226036' date='Sat 1...  
Emperor   [quote name='DawnofMan' post='226036' date='Sat ...  
KD Tries Again   Would someone just hurry up and create an altern...  
thekohser   I don't like the citizendium model and am not...  
anthony   [quote name='DawnofMan' post='226036' date='Sat 1...  
Emperor   I'm still quite fond of PmWiki. It's a ni...  
WikiWatch   Anyone recommend a decent web hosting service?  
dtobias   Dreamhost has built-in installations of MediaWiki ...  
WikiWatch   Dreamhost has built-in installations of MediaWiki...  
MZMcBride   There are a very large number of considerations to...  
WikiWatch   There are a very large number of considerations t...  
John Limey   [quote name='MZMcBride' post='225765' date='Fri 1...  
Milton Roe   [quote name='WikiWatch' post='225885' date='Sat 1...  
MZMcBride   [quote name='WikiWatch' post='225885' date='Sat 1...  
WikiWatch   Eventually, a moderately successful rival to Wiki...  
WikiWatch   I'd like to shamelessly promote my own though...  
John Limey   [quote name='John Limey' post='225888' date='Sat ...  
thekohser   Who the f*ck are you, "DawnOfMan"? Look...  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)