FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Chicago Options Associates -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> Chicago Options Associates, What’s the story?
Peter Damian

I have as much free time as a Wikipedia admin!

Group: Regulars

In 1994 Wales left the university of Alabama and took a job at Chicago Options Associates, as Research Director. He left in 1996. I am still puzzled how he made enough money so as not to work again, having worked there less than two years, in a research capacity (rather than a trader).

What happened to Chicago Options Associates? The CEO was Michael Davis, who in that period was the subject of a lawsuit referenced here

http://www.state.il.us/court/opinions/appe...tml/1041110.htm
http://www.state.il.us/court/opinions/supr.../may/102578.pdf

I haven’t time to follow the details of the case yet, but it seems Davis was successfully sued for a large sum of money (then), nearly $1m, and tried by various means to avoid payment. Does anyone know the full story? I see Greg has followed this one in the past.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
SB_Johnny

It wasn't me who made honky-tonk angels

Peter, this is very good stuff, but where is it going to go?
+Quote Post
Peter Damian

I have as much free time as a Wikipedia admin!

QUOTE(SB_Johnny @ Wed 28th September 2011, 6:46pm) *

Peter, this is very good stuff, but where is it going to go?

Well I've pretty much decided, with the MS of the current book going to CUA on Monday, and my needing a new project, and one that might even earn something, unlike the current (academic publisher) book, to do a book on Wikipedia.

Obviously you start with the history, and there's some interesting and entertaining stuff that hasn't been given a decent airing in mainstream publications, so the story is aching to be free.

I'm thinking of a story somewhat on the lines of the relationship between the Mormons and the mafia. The Mormons (I'm told) assumed good faith and were pretty naive in their business dealings, or at least appeared to be. The Mafia, well we know about that. And together they built Las Vegas.

Similarly, you have the Wikipedian ideologists who assumed good faith, and are demonstrably naive in about everything, and you have, well, the people associated with Davis and so on. Together they built Wikipedia. So, Wikipedia = Las Vegas.

That's the idea. All help welcome.

This post has been edited by Peter Damian:
+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Wed 28th September 2011, 12:14pm) *

I'm thinking of a story somewhat on the lines of the relationship between the Mormons and the mafia. The Mormons (I'm told) assumed good faith and were pretty naive in their business dealings, or at least appeared to be. The Mafia, well we know about that. And together they built Las Vegas.

Similarly, you have the Wikipedian ideologists who assumed good faith, and are demonstrably naive in about everything, and you have, well, the people associated with Davis and so on. Together they built Wikipedia. So, Wikipedia = Las Vegas.

That is correct. If Bugsy Siegel had not discovered that he could con Mormon construction firms and
other Nevada businesses owned by LDSers, the history of Vegas might have been very different.
In fact, it might still be a small railroad town today. Plus, Bugsy was a Jew, which to this day
impresses Mormons a great deal (Smith often said the Jews were the "chosen people").

This post has been edited by EricBarbour:
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

Known alias of J. Random Troll

QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Wed 28th September 2011, 12:49pm) *

QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Wed 28th September 2011, 12:14pm) *

That is correct. If Bugsy Siegel had not discovered that he could con Mormon construction firms and
other Nevada businesses owned by LDSers, the history of Vegas might have been very different.
In fact, it might still be a small railroad town today. Plus, Bugsy was a Jew, which to this day
impresses Mormons a great deal (Smith often said the Jews were the "chosen people").

Smith naturally thought Mormons "Chosen People" also, and compared them with the Jews. When he was killed and some of the Mormons took off for the Western frontier, naturally comparisons with Jews became more numerous, and Brigham Young was looking for his own "Zion." Which, astoundingly he located near a salty dead lake that was downhill from a freshwater lake. And the river between them naturally got to be named the "Jordan," and still is today. Of course, Young didn't find all this stuff. But he did know enough to look at a map and tell an archetypal story.

There is a story that a fair number of Mormons didn't think Salt Lake City looked very much like a Zion, and wanted to head to greener pastures in California, hence the founding of San Bernardino (and indeed when you descend from the desert on the north side of the Cahon Pass down between the San Gabriels and the San Bernardino Mountains, you do say to yourself-- "Ah, now THIS looks more like it..."). Perhaps Brigham Young ordered these people to do what they were doing to do anyway. Las Vegas was just a stop on the Salt Lake City to San Bernardino run then, and North Las Vegas is quite Mormon, even today. Whether Bugsy conned the Mormons or the Mormons conned Bugsy, is a good question. In such ventures, people tend to con themselves and believe in whatever feels good to them. However, Bugsy got the "Moe Greene Special" and the Mormons (as usual) did quite well.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Peter Damian   Chicago Options Associates  
dogbiscuit   In 1994 Wales left the university of Alabama and ...  
Peter Damian   I found some more recent information on the net. ...  
thekohser   The upshot was the Davis was bankrupt and couldnÃ...  
thekohser   I am still puzzled how he made enough money so as...  
Peter Damian   I am still puzzled how he made enough money so a...  
SB_Johnny   Note that Wales was not the lead author and seems...  
EricBarbour   The irritating part of all this is that most of it...  
thekohser   I also found this. Greg's right, the courts k...  
Kelly Martin   Greg's right, the courts keep upholding that ...  
Peter Damian   I have Dowling’s address (still lives in Ch...  
Kelly Martin   I am speculating that this is probably 4637 N Mano...  
EricBarbour   All good questions, although I think the only pers...  
Kelly Martin   One of the things I rarely see anyone mention is J...  
Peter Damian   Kelly I think you are right about Manor Ave, as th...  
thekohser   March 2003, Dowling instituted supplementary proc...  
Peter Damian   More here. http://trustsandestates.com/fiduciary/f...  
Kelly Martin   Note that the impetus to form a foundation for Wik...  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)