FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Announcing the winners! -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Announcing the winners!, In the WP:DICK of Distinction awards pageant
Rating  3
Herschelkrustofsky

Group: Members
Member No.: 130

The 2009 Wikipedia Review WP:DICK of Distinction Awards Pageant

It's all about the drama.

(IMG:http://wikipediareview.com/img/klieglight.gif)

May we have the envelope, please...

This year's winner is renowned for his keen fashion sense, as well as his incandescent charm and sterling sense of fairness and justice. We proudly present this year's Jimbo® statuette to:
David Gerard!

In a real cliff-hanger of a match, David squeaked ahead of the runner-up in this year's competition, FT2, who put up a spirited fight. We expect great things of FT2 in future competitions.

Deep in the catacombs beneath the Wikipedia Review, there is a vast chamber, from which may be heard the eerie cackling of Somey as he labors over his image editor/avatar generator. It is said to be like a cross between Vulcan's Forge and one of Dr. Seuss's contraptions. It is here, they say, that Somey produced the new, 2009 model Jimbo® statuette:

And now, before proceeding the the winners in the other categories, we'd like to present this...

Lifetime Achievement Award

to

PoetGuy!

PoetGuy delighted Wikipedia fans, and in particular, those of us at the Review, with his outstanding performance in innumerable sockpuppet roles, literally, a cast of thousands (known to the cognoscenti as "PoetHorde.") As the pert coquette "Poetlister," he became for a time Wikipedia's most celebrated martyr, believed to have been unjustly banned for socking. When the truth of his culpability came out, PoetGuy was disgraced. His old nemesis SlimVirgin wrote a self-righteous tome in which she made PoetGuy the center of a vast conspiracy against herself, and attempted to make his disgrace into her vindication. However, among members of the Academy, PoetGuy's performances in such a wide array of roles deserve to be recognized as the pinnacle of his craft, right up there with The Three Faces of Eve.

Let's take a minute now to remember PoetGuy's contributions to the Review. (roll clip) As Poetlister, he was named by Lir to be an admin at this site. The Poetlister character enchanted us with her endearing fantasies, including a fake wedding and honeymoon on a romantic isle, embellished with images from From Here to Eternity. Then there was Guy, the stuffy, proper Englishman with a heart of gold and an obsession with Christian Zionism. Guy became a moderator here. He had a faithful, putatively Jewish companion, Yehudi. And finally, there was the flip side of the stuffy, proper Englishman, in the form of the ever-popular Taxwoman, who was raunchy, babelicious, and an expert on the London Fetish Scene.

So, for having generated unforgettable drama at Wikipedia and across the wide, wide interwebs, the 2009 Lifetime Achievement Award goes to PoetGuy!

...and now, back to our regular awards presentation: the Straight Shooter award for most ethical admin goes to Thatcher, who made a very strong showing, thanks in part to a ringing endorsement from this year's runner-up, Cool Hand Luke (who is actually now an Arb.) Cool Hand's nom de Review, of course, is One.

The Cojones de latón, for the non-admin who has distinguished himself in combat with the cabal, goes to Cla68, who was last year's runner-up. This year's runner-up is The Fat Man Who Never Came Back, who was particularly recognized for his lethal use of humor on the battlefield.

In the Miss Incongeniality department, Elonka and JzG wound up in a dead heat, so they will be sharing the honors. This marks the second year in a row where JzG has made it to the top -- his incivility is legend! And Elonka makes her debut sharing the number one spot.

Finally, in the Tag Team Event, the award goes to Odd nature, Salmon of Doubt, KillerChihuahua, Jim62sch, Mu301 and FeloniousMonk, also known as the ID (Intelligent Design) Cabal.

Congratulations all around, and we'll see you next year on the red carpet!

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Anonymous editor

Ãœber Member

Group: Regulars

great job with the awards, Herschel.

I like the trophy.
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

Known alias of J. Random Troll

Yep, good job.

Such fun down here.

You know, if you read Paradise Lost by a certain author, which nobody does anymore, "Heaven" is this boring place where all the angels have to sing along in unity with God-King. A third of them bolt, and I'm amazed it's not more.

Down in Hell, after being thrown out, they can actually sit around and have adult conversations, and entertain different points of view, and so forth. You think I'm making this up, but I'm not.

-- Milton
+Quote Post
privatemusings

Group: Contributors

well I'd like to thank my family, my friends, and everyone I've ever..... oh hangon.......

congrat.s dicks and dames, and I'll be back fighting for Cla's balls next year ;-)
+Quote Post
Alison

Skinny Cow!

Member No.: 1,806

How long before that pic ends up on David's talk page?

(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/evilgrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

Member No.: 3,670

In conjunction with these announcements, the Psychopathy Department of the Woolworths Foundation School of Political Dramaturgy will be introducing the latest revision to DSM IV.

Watch for our newest diagnostic category, Scherzophrenia, coming soon to a Freudian Casting Couch near you.
+Quote Post
The Adversary

CT (Check Troll)

Very nice job, Hersch and Somey, and a warm congratulation to Gerard and other dicks; very worthy winners.

However, there is one thing about this years election campaign which slightly irritated me: all those WP glitterati (=arbs and adms) who descended on WR to electioneer for people only in the Straight Shooter and the Cojones de latón cat. You know who I mean! To all of you I would like to say this: Chicken!

Now, could we make it an informal rule/guide for the future that anyone who endorse candidates in the above categories, should also endorse candidates on main WP:DICK and Miss Incongeniality categories? Thank you. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/wink.gif)

Finally, also a warm congrats to The Fat Man Who Never Came Back, the runner up in Cojones de latón category (though not a bad word about Cla68). My favorite, in fact I suspect he rounded up the female vote (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Bottled_Spider

Ãœber Member

Member No.: 9,708

I'm pleasantly surprised by JzG's performance. I honestly thought the best he'd do this year would be second place, if he was lucky. After his very recent disgrace in the SmashTheState fiasco, though, he's going to have to work really hard to even get a mention next year I'll bet. Chin up, Guy!

Sorry to see Peter Damian wasn't appreciated the way he should have been. But that's his way ..... very subtle; quite invisible to most drama fans. Giana's fall was both spectacular and predictable. I'm looking forward to a mirthsome 2009 on Wikipedia with him. Would an eventual, permanent ban, complete with mucho hissiness, drama and mass revenge-retirements from his supporters be too much to expect? I hope not! You go, girls! Heh!
+Quote Post
cyofee

Could you please release that image under a free licence so we can upload it to Commons?
+Quote Post
Sarcasticidealist

Head exploded.

Member No.: 4,536

QUOTE(cyofee @ Sun 8th February 2009, 9:58am) *
Could you please release that image under a free licence so we can upload it to Commons?
Derivative work - are the source images free?
+Quote Post
dtobias

Obsessive trolling idiot [per JzG]

Member No.: 962

QUOTE(Bottled_Spider @ Sun 8th February 2009, 10:23am) *

I'm pleasantly surprised by JzG's performance. I honestly thought the best he'd do this year would be second place, if he was lucky. After his very recent disgrace in the SmashTheState fiasco, though, he's going to have to work really hard to even get a mention next year I'll bet. Chin up, Guy!

Sorry to see Peter Damian wasn't appreciated the way he should have been. But that's his way ..... very subtle; quite invisible to most drama fans. Giana's fall was both spectacular and predictable. I'm looking forward to a mirthsome 2009 on Wikipedia with him. Would an eventual, permanent ban, complete with mucho hissiness, drama and mass revenge-retirements from his supporters be too much to expect? I hope not! You go, girls! Heh!

Interestingly, Guy and Damian are actually quite similar in their agendas, and a recent comment on-wiki has Damian saying "Guy is not so bad."
+Quote Post
Peter Damian

I have as much free time as a Wikipedia admin!

QUOTE(dtobias @ Sun 8th February 2009, 4:15pm) *

Interestingly, Guy and Damian are actually quite similar in their agendas, and a recent comment on-wiki has Damian saying "Guy is not so bad."

He's not. Just a bit erratic and mad and impulsive. Human qualities, no? And he collects lawnmower engines.
+Quote Post
wikiwhistle

Postmaster

QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Sun 8th February 2009, 4:18pm) *

He's not. Just a bit erratic and mad and impulsive. Human qualities, no? And he collects lawnmower engines.

I agree, I mean he might not be nice to other users sometimes, but at least he makes sure the articles on flakey theories are ok and that they don't rave about them when there's no peer-reviewed scientific evidence.

I have a similar agenda (i.e. we are supposed to have WP:NPOV not a misleading POV) where these articles are concerned, but hope I'm a bit friendlier most of the time than JzG, that's just my personal style though. I have zero tolerance for those pushing a misleading POV that there's any valid evidence for most/any of these things having any efficacy beyond the placebo effect, though.

Acupuncture is the one they usually cite as the one with most evidence, however yet another meta study, as with most ones, has recently said there's none. Having said that, I still practice some alt therapies, most people needs something to give them some fake sense of control over their life. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)

This post has been edited by wikiwhistle:
+Quote Post
LaraLove

Wikipedia BLP advocate

Great read, Hersh... and the award is awesome Somey.
+Quote Post
Peter Damian

I have as much free time as a Wikipedia admin!

QUOTE(wikiwhistle @ Sun 8th February 2009, 4:21pm) *

QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Sun 8th February 2009, 4:18pm) *

I agree, I mean he might not be nice to other users sometimes, but at least he makes sure the articles on flakey theories are ok and that they don't rave about them when there's no peer-reviewed scientific evidence.

I have a similar agenda (i.e. we are supposed to have WP:NPOV not a misleading POV) where these articles are concerned, but hope I'm a bit friendlier most of the time than JzG, that's just my personal style though. I have zero tolerance for those pushing a misleading POV that there's any valid evidence for most/any of these things having any efficacy beyond the placebo effect, though.

Acupuncture is the one they usually cite as the one with most evidence, however yet another meta study, as with most ones, has recently said there's none. Having said that, I still practice some alt therapies, most people needs something to give them some fake sense of control over their life. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)

I thought the big-boobs thing was actually quite funny as well.
+Quote Post
Sarcasticidealist

Head exploded.

Member No.: 4,536

I'll say this about Guy: whatever his merits as a Wikipedia administrator, I get the impression that I'd like him in real life (cranky, contemptuous of unsubstantiated scientific viewpoints, mildly obsessive about things that wouldn't matter to normal people...these are a few of my favourite traits).That's not true of most admins who I perceive as abusive (a category into which this post shouldn't be taken to lump Guy).
+Quote Post
Anonymous editor

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(Alison @ Sun 8th February 2009, 3:34am) *

How long before that pic ends up on David's talk page?

(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/evilgrin.gif)

I'd rather it be the trophy peeking in the way Krimpet did it on your talk page. Or something.
+Quote Post
Somey

Can't actually moderate (or even post)

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 275

QUOTE(Sarcasticidealist @ Sun 8th February 2009, 10:03am) *
QUOTE(cyofee @ Sun 8th February 2009, 9:58am) *
Derivative work - are the source images free?

No, but there are enough changes to the original that it could be treated as "fair use" for parody purposes, at least under US law. Still, unless I'm mistaken, the Wikimedia Commons admins wouldn't allow you to upload it on that basis alone, though Uncyclopedia (now a Wikia site) probably would. Also, since the source image presumably isn't free, I can't claim any sort of license on it, nor would I want to. So feel free to do whatever you want with it - just don't expect me or The Wikipedia Review to take responsibility for it "in the wild," OK?

In other words, if Sally Field decides she doesn't like the idea of Dave's head being grafted on her body, she can ask us to take it down here on WR, and we'll almost certainly do just that. (Same goes for the photographer, whoever that was.) But as far as other websites are concerned, she'll have to ask whoever copied it from WR, and if the site in question is Commons, they'll probably defer to their usual "not our problem, call OTRS" routine.
+Quote Post
One

Postmaster General

I'm impressed with the improved trophy. What's that black object rising from the globes? Is that a waste can?

Thank you so much for the PoetGuy award; I'm moved that you listened.
+Quote Post
gomi

Group: Members

QUOTE(One @ Sun 8th February 2009, 12:31pm) *

I'm impressed with the improved trophy. What's that black object rising from the globes? Is that a waste can?

I believe that you will find on close examination that the black object is the .... ahem .... "dick" in question, rendered in black latex or something. Of course, Somey may have some other explanation .....

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)