FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Why does no one compete against Wikimedia? -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Why does no one compete against Wikimedia?, Decentralization of wiki hosting
Lir

Communist

Group: Inactive

This is the question I ask myself over and over again. Why does nobody try to decentralize the wiki world by competing against Wikimedia? Many people complain about Wikimedia's projects, but they do nothing to compete against it. There's no initiative to build big wikis outside Wikimedia. Why?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Selina

Cat herder

Group: Staffy

The biggest most obvious one has to be money, pure and simple - Look at the amount of money Wikipedia uses to keep running - It's easy to say "fork off", but nearly no one has the money required to run a working site with as much hardware and bandwidth requirements as Wikipedia...
+Quote Post
vulchy

Group: Contributors
Member No.: 49

I believe there are some lower-level sites that do, but the simple fact is, Wikipedia has a monopoly over this area, and not much can be done about it. This isn't a bad thing, of course.

See, all the cheap-o celebrity sites and/or biographical sites copy Wikipedia's info directly, as do the mirror sites. This is one of the major monetary incomes for Wikipedia, and it would be near-impossible for any competitor to take over.

It would need to be a site of much greater quality and comprehensiveness.
+Quote Post
Blu Aardvark

Gone

Group: On Vacation

QUOTE(vulchy @ Sun 5th March 2006, 1:50pm) *

There is another alternative - a series of sites, all comprehensive on specific topics, and all interconnected via interwiki. This would actually be both cheaper, and in the long run, better, than a single site on general topics, which cannot be comprehensive by nature. In addition, it would solve many of the systematic problems present in the single-site model.
+Quote Post
Lir

Communist

QUOTE(Hushthis @ Sun 5th March 2006, 4:26pm) *

Wikipedia is after some National Endowment for Humanities money.

Thats awful hypocritical of Jimbo, since he is the guy who said using taxpayer money to help victims of Hurricane Katrina was 'fascism'. Apparently, however, its ok if the taxpayers fund Jimbo.
+Quote Post
emesee

ban me

Group: Tanked
Member No.: 8,586

Good question.

You might check out

http://encyc.org/wiki/Main_Page

http://wikademia.org/Main

and http://wikademia.org/Decentralizing_wiki_technology

Cheers. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Eva Destruction

Fat Cat

Group: Regulars

Somey, please ban him from resurrecting threads. This is getting ridiculous.
+Quote Post
John Limey

QUOTE(Blu Aardvark @ Sun 5th March 2006, 10:13pm) *

There is another alternative - a series of sites, all comprehensive on specific topics, and all interconnected via interwiki. This would actually be both cheaper, and in the long run, better, than a single site on general topics, which cannot be comprehensive by nature. In addition, it would solve many of the systematic problems present in the single-site model.

This is an intriguing idea, and I think you're absolutely right. Specialization would have many benefits, and it is certainly the norm of academia, etc. I think, though, that an even more interesting idea (if one were a businessman) would be to somehow link together specialized professional reference works into a single, high-quality encyclopedia (e.g., Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy, Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, Grove Dictionary of Art, and hundreds of smaller and even more specialized works).

If someone could create such a work and find a way to put in online for free, it would destroy Wikipedia almost immediately. Of course, it just might not be economically viable and figuring out to gain the rights to hundreds of different works would be a very difficult task. I think, though, if say Oxford University Press were to make a serious attempt at doing something like this, the results would be excellent. (Sadly?), they seem to have other things to do with their time.
+Quote Post
Guido den Broeder

QUOTE(qwerty @ Sun 5th March 2006, 9:05pm) *

This is the question I ask myself over and over again. Why does nobody try to decentralize the wiki world by competing against Wikimedia? Many people complain about Wikimedia's projects, but they do nothing to compete against it.

Actually, some do.
+Quote Post
Kato

dhd

QUOTE(Guido den Broeder @ Sat 8th August 2009, 10:27pm) *

This is the question I ask myself over and over again. Why does nobody try to decentralize the wiki world by competing against Wikimedia? Many people complain about Wikimedia's projects, but they do nothing to compete against it.

Actually, some do.

This thread is THREE AND A HALF YEARS OLD and needs to be closed.
+Quote Post
Sarcasticidealist

Head exploded.

Member No.: 4,536

QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Sat 8th August 2009, 6:15pm) *
Somey, please ban him. This is getting ridiculous.
Fixed.
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

Known alias of J. Random Troll

QUOTE(Kato @ Sat 8th August 2009, 2:36pm) *

Actually, some do.

(IMG:http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll191/Shrlocc/zombiearrest.jpg)
Zombie police!
+Quote Post
CharlotteWebb

Postmaster General

QUOTE(Guido den Broeder @ Sat 8th August 2009, 9:27pm) *

Actually, some do.

But for the most part they only attempt to compete against small portions of Wikimedia projects, typically those which affect them personally or which they simply feel are poorly done. You and I can take a few pages and publish them in a manner modified to suit our needs and tastes, but what would we do for the other 99.999%:
A. Leave them blank because they are Shit We Don't Care About, and not pretend to be a serious competitor.
B. Import them from a database dump because we suppose any problems we inherit can be fixed more expediently on our fledgling wiki than in the original.
C. Wait for them to be written as a revenge platform by other people who are banned from WP (and whose POVs seem as irrational to us as ours do to them).
D. Other, please explain.
+Quote Post
sbrown

QUOTE(emesee @ Sat 8th August 2009, 10:11pm) *

Ive checked them out already.
+Quote Post
emesee

ban me

Group: Tanked
Member No.: 8,586

QUOTE(sbrown @ Sat 8th August 2009, 3:11pm) *

QUOTE(emesee @ Sat 8th August 2009, 10:11pm) *

Ive checked them out already.

Bless you! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)

QUOTE(CharlotteWebb @ Sat 8th August 2009, 3:03pm) *

QUOTE(Guido den Broeder @ Sat 8th August 2009, 9:27pm) *

Actually, some do.

But for the most part they only attempt to compete against small portions of Wikimedia projects, typically those which affect them personally or which they simply feel are poorly done. You and I can take a few pages and publish them in a manner modified to suit our needs and tastes, but what would we do for the other 99.999%:
A. Leave them blank because they are Shit We Don't Care About, and not pretend to be a serious competitor.
B. Import them from a database dump because we suppose any problems we inherit can be fixed more expediently on our fledgling wiki than in the original.
C. Wait for them to be written as a revenge platform by other people who are banned from WP (and whose POVs seem as irrational to us as ours do to them).
D. Other, please explain.

That is why it seems to me that eventually ever Wiki-Communist Foundation Wiki have its own forked counterpart. That is including Wikia.

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Sat 8th August 2009, 2:47pm) *

QUOTE(Kato @ Sat 8th August 2009, 2:36pm) *

Actually, some do.

(IMG:http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll191/Shrlocc/zombiearrest.jpg)
Zombie police!

(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/confused.gif) BLARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

QUOTE(Guido den Broeder @ Sat 8th August 2009, 2:27pm) *

Actually, some do.

More powerz to them. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)

QUOTE(Limey @ Sat 8th August 2009, 2:22pm) *

QUOTE(Blu Aardvark @ Sun 5th March 2006, 10:13pm) *

This is an intriguing idea, and I think you're absolutely right. Specialization would have many benefits, and it is certainly the norm of academia, etc. I think, though, that an even more interesting idea (if one were a businessman) would be to somehow link together specialized professional reference works into a single, high-quality encyclopedia (e.g., Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy, Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, Grove Dictionary of Art, and hundreds of smaller and even more specialized works).

If someone could create such a work and find a way to put in online for free, it would destroy Wikipedia almost immediately. Of course, it just might not be economically viable and figuring out to gain the rights to hundreds of different works would be a very difficult task. I think, though, if say Oxford University Press were to make a serious attempt at doing something like this, the results would be excellent. (Sadly?), they seem to have other things to do with their time.

Yes, and immediate fix would be nice, but I guess we'll (or at least I) will have to be patient. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)

And to all trolls: go eat your trollishness with some vinaigrette and bacon bits.

(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/popcorn.gif)

This post has been edited by emesee:
+Quote Post
Guido den Broeder

QUOTE(CharlotteWebb @ Sun 9th August 2009, 12:03am) *
But for the most part they only attempt to compete against small portions of Wikimedia projects, typically those which affect them personally or which they simply feel are poorly done.

Well, that latter criterium makes us target the lot. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif)
+Quote Post
Emperor

Postmaster

Wow, Lir, qwerty, Selina, Blu Aardvark. Classic WR, kids, check it out!
+Quote Post
sbrown

QUOTE(Emperor @ Sun 9th August 2009, 3:54am) *

Wow, Lir, qwerty, Selina, Blu Aardvark. Classic WR, kids, check it out!

Serious question why is qwerty shown as the thread starter when its Lir?
+Quote Post
Guido den Broeder

QUOTE(emesee @ Sun 9th August 2009, 12:18am) *
More powerz to them. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)

Emesee, I suggest that you stop account-spamming at Wikisage. In contrast to Wikipedia, there is no advantage to having more than one.
+Quote Post
Grep

Group: Contributors

QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Sat 8th August 2009, 10:15pm) *

Somey, please ban him from resurrecting threads. This is getting ridiculous.

If there's something interesting to be said on the subject, why care about when the thread started?
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)