Post #41

τὰ δέ μοι παθήματα μαθήματα γέγονε

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 5,619

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(Gaspar Miltquotes @ Thu 12th February 2009, 11:56am) *

QUOTE(Lara's Love's Lost @ Thu 12th February 2009, 9:31am) *

Also, why do people always bring up Godwin?

Nazi's Law

Ja Ja boing.gif
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JoseClutch
post Thu 12th February 2009, 5:21pm
Post #42

Über Member

Group: Regulars
Member No.: 2,078

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Thu 12th February 2009, 12:04pm) *

QUOTE(Gaspar Miltquotes @ Thu 12th February 2009, 11:56am) *

QUOTE(Lara's Love's Lost @ Thu 12th February 2009, 9:31am) *

Also, why do people always bring up Godwin?

Nazi's Law

Ja Ja boing.gif

Jon

I am starting to worry you may have a case of what Wikipediots call "Edit count-itis". Have you read WR:DOCTORB ?
+Quote Post
Milton Roe
post Thu 12th February 2009, 5:24pm
Post #43

Known alias of J. Random Troll

Member No.: 5,156

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(LaraLove @ Thu 12th February 2009, 9:58am) *

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Thu 12th February 2009, 11:56am) *

QUOTE(LaraLove @ Thu 12th February 2009, 9:31am) *

Also, why do people always bring up the Nazis?

Godwin's Law

Yes, yes, I know. biggrin.gif But it doesn't explain why!

The Nazis are one of the worst villians of history (not the worst, but third behind Mao and Stalin in murder), plus they were as efficient as they were ruthless. They killed the mentally ill, handicapped, and the gay, and their dissenters, so in one sense they were the ultimate anti-liberals even if they hadn't mass murdered Jews also. And there was a definite comic book villiany to them: they invented and put into use all kinds of new villainous war stuff from the Blitz to V-weapons to jet aircraft, and had an effective and complicated propaganda organ and excellent sense of theater, all the way from the color of the uniforms to the archetecture and the huge Nuremburg torchlight rallies. Hitler was a big Wagner fan, so you can see how that worked. I'm tempted to suggest the Nazis were into "guerilla theater," but simply on a mass scale.

Okay, take all that, and you get the chance to have the ultimate evil villains. Not just a murderously efficient agenda against the helpless, but also technologically advanced with a great sense of presentation and drahwma. Thus, they can employed for nearly any rhetorical purpose. If your enemy is besting you in the propaganda and drama game (LaRouche, say), or even in the invention department, you can always compare him to the Third Reich. In every large public argument, there are bound to be some Jews, who naturally hate the Nazis worst of all villains in history, who will be especially tempted to do this.

Thus, Godwin's law. A metaphor for badness that flexible, hardly ever misses a chance to be used as a weapon by anyone who thinks their intellectual opponent is insufficiently liberal or flexible in any way.
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey
post Thu 12th February 2009, 7:06pm
Post #44

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Thu 12th February 2009, 12:24pm) *

Godwin's Law

The Nazis are one of the worst villians of history (not the worst, but third behind Mao and Stalin in murder), plus they were as efficient as they were ruthless. They killed the mentally ill, handicapped, and the gay, and their dissenters, so in one sense they were the ultimate anti-liberals even if they hadn't mass murdered Jews also. And there was a definite comic book villiany to them: they invented and put into use all kinds of new villainous war stuff from the Blitz to V-weapons to jet aircraft, and had an effective and complicated propaganda organ and excellent sense of theater, all the way from the color of the uniforms to the archetecture and the huge Nuremburg torchlight rallies. Hitler was a big Wagner fan, so you can see how that worked. I'm tempted to suggest the Nazis were into "guerilla theater," but simply on a mass scale.

Okay, take all that, and you get the chance to have the ultimate evil villains. Not just a murderously efficient agenda against the helpless, but also technologically advanced with a great sense of presentation and drahwma. Thus, they can employed for nearly any rhetorical purpose. If your enemy is besting you in the propaganda and drama game (LaRouche, say), or even in the invention department, you can always compare him to the Third Reich. In every large public argument, there are bound to be some Jews, who naturally hate the Nazis worst of all villains in history, who will be especially tempted to do this.

Thus, Godwin's law. A metaphor for badness that flexible, hardly ever misses a chance to be used as a weapon by anyone who thinks their intellectual opponent is insufficiently liberal or flexible in any way.

• Bull •

It has to do with very specific distinguishing features of Nazi and Fascist mindsets that people just naturally detect in embryo whenever they do the ultrasound on WikiPrägnanz.

Jon Image
+Quote Post
EricBarbour
post Thu 12th February 2009, 10:31pm
Post #45

blah

Member No.: 5,066

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

Annnnd what do we have today?.......

Sophie/User:XAL
This user has been sending weird-arse stuff to the AC as well.
Fred Bauder looked over it and considered her so goddamn patently
insane and disruptive that he blocked her username and IP indefinitely
to save drawing out the agony. I find it hard to see any reason to
reverse this. At least Plautus Satire could act sane for the first
five minutes - David Gerard 09:19, 8 October 2005 (UTC)

Forgive my stupid, but there's almost nothing about XAL on the
Review, and WP has purged almost every discussion. What evil horror
was she accused of committing, other than getting into it with Bishonen?

What a silly thing to get into a ban-war over.....
but then, it's par for the course.

This post has been edited by EricBarbour: Thu 12th February 2009, 10:34pm
+Quote Post
GlassBeadGame
post Thu 12th February 2009, 10:54pm
Post #46

Dharma Bum

Group: Contributors
From: My name it means nothing. My age it means less. The country I come from is called the Mid-West.
Member No.: 981

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Thu 12th February 2009, 2:06pm) *

• Bull •

It has to do with very specific distinguishing features of Nazi and Fascist mindsets that people just naturally detect in embryo whenever they do the ultrasound on WikiPrägnanz.

Jon Image

The first known violator of Godwin's Law was Erich Fromm in 1941. He still has a thing of two to offer social media.
+Quote Post
Kato
post Thu 12th February 2009, 11:00pm
Post #47

dhd

Member No.: 767

QUOTE(LaraLove @ Thu 12th February 2009, 4:31pm) *

QUOTE(tarantino @ Wed 11th February 2009, 9:21pm) *

QUOTE(Random832 @ Wed 11th February 2009, 1:46pm) *

No, but it's possible you're being manipulated by those who have set themselves up as his enemies.

I wonder who has been manipulating Pedro?

Wow. Pedro is becoming increasingly uncivil and unapproachable.

Does this Pedro guy actually write any content? Or does he just vandal hunt and bicker with others?
+Quote Post
Bottled_Spider
post Thu 12th February 2009, 11:43pm
Post #48

Über Member

Member No.: 9,708

QUOTE(LaraLove @ Thu 12th February 2009, 4:31pm) *

Deep down, the way they want to see themselves (and to be seen by others) slips and they see themselves as they really are.
QUOTE(Kato @ Thu 12th February 2009, 11:00pm) *
Does this Pedro guy actually write any content? Or does he just vandal hunt and bicker with others?

He seems to be an intense little shit. I'd say he just vandal hunts and bickers with others.
+Quote Post
LaraLove
post Fri 13th February 2009, 3:30pm
Post #49

Wikipedia BLP advocate

Member No.: 4,627

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Thu 12th February 2009, 12:24pm) *

Godwin's Law

<snip>

Thank you, Milton!

QUOTE(Kato @ Thu 12th February 2009, 6:00pm) *

I don't think Pedro does much in the area of content creation. The wannabe 'Wannabe Kate' results. He's more into RFA and other site politics.
+Quote Post
Eva Destruction
post Fri 13th February 2009, 3:44pm
Post #50

Fat Cat

Member No.: 3,301

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(LaraLove @ Fri 13th February 2009, 3:30pm) *

I don't think Pedro does much in the area of content creation. The wannabe 'Wannabe Kate' results. He's more into RFA and other site politics.

Wannabe Kate doesn't work properly any more; these are Pedro's actual stats.
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey
post Fri 13th February 2009, 4:18pm
Post #51

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

Could some Intrepid Mod please split off all the posts that don't have to do with Kelly's blog?

Just for one instance, there's a whole subplop about someone called Pedro that starts at Post 31, but I don't see any mention of Pedro on Kelly's blog.

You'd almost think that this was some deliberate campaign on the part of Wikipediots to prevent anyone whatever in the Real World from following what's actually important here.

Jon hrmph.gif
+Quote Post
Doc glasgow
post Fri 13th February 2009, 5:45pm
Post #52

Wikipedia:The Sump of All Human Knowledge

Member No.: 90

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(Kato @ Tue 10th February 2009, 1:26pm) *

For followers of the inside play, the comments by Gerard and Raul about Bishonen back in 2005 indicate the rift that ultimately exploded again this year - when Bishonen banned FT2, and eventually saw him having to resign, humiliated.

It was all to get back at David Gerard, and was another act in these tedious Giano wars.

People who supported Bishonen, thinking that the anti-FT2 stuff was a noble act of justice-fighting, were completely duped.

There's a lot of it about at the moment.

Lately, people were duped to attack FT2 who had become the mark, using Peter Damian's complaints as their cover. Gameplayers like Bishonen, Giano and SlimVirgin were all at it, and too many people - including Reviewers here - fell for it.

It is still going on now with the attacks on Lar, another mark who challenged the "wrong people" last year. Basically, we're watching a long drawn out Revenge Drama, orchestrated by the same old manipulators as always.

Trying to get an understanding the history of the personality stuff behind the Giano wars is probably as pointless and boring as trying to unravel the History of Schleswig Holstein, of which one will recall Lord Palmerston said only three people understood: one was the Prince Concert, who was dead, the other was insane, and the third was himself, who'd forgotten about it entirely.

Well, I'm perhaps one of the three who recalls the beginning of this soap opera, which includes such episodes as the "fall of Kelly Martin" and the beginnings of arbcom's long fall to uselessness. I'm just not sure who the other two are, and I'm not sure if I'm the one who is dead, insane, or amnesiac. Giano recalls some of it. Now, perhaps someone should interview all the main players and write an heroic epic. Irrelevant, perhaps, but it would serve as a reminder as to just how petty inteligent people can be. Homer and [[Gilgamesh]] move over.
+Quote Post
Sarcasticidealist
post Fri 13th February 2009, 5:51pm
Post #53

Head exploded.

Member No.: 4,536

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Fri 13th February 2009, 10:18am) *
You'd almost think that this was some deliberate campaign on the part of Wikipediots to prevent anyone whatever in the Real World from following what's actually important here.
Or that unmoderated slow speed communication with multiple involved parties, of the sort seen on internet message boards, often veers radically off-topic relatively quickly. Your choice, really.
+Quote Post
Doc glasgow
post Fri 13th February 2009, 5:54pm
Post #54

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(Sarcasticidealist @ Fri 13th February 2009, 5:51pm) *

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Fri 13th February 2009, 10:18am) *
Or that unmoderated slow speed communication with multiple involved parties, of the sort seen on internet message boards, often veers radically off-topic relatively quickly. Your choice, really.

It's NOT paranoia when they really are out to get you!!!! fear.gif
+Quote Post
everyking
post Fri 13th February 2009, 5:57pm
Post #55

Postmaster

Member No.: 81

QUOTE(Doc glasgow @ Fri 13th February 2009, 6:45pm) *

Well, I'm perhaps one of the three who recalls the beginning of this soap opera, which includes such episodes as the "fall of Kelly Martin" and the beginnings of arbcom's long fall to uselessness. I'm just not sure who the other two are, and I'm not sure if I'm the one who is dead, insane, or amnesiac. Giano recalls some of it. Now, perhaps someone should interview all the main players and write an heroic epic. Irrelevant, perhaps, but it would serve as a reminder as to just how petty inteligent people can be. Homer and [[Gilgamesh]] move over.

I think you qualify as "dead", because you've become completely irrelevant. Anyway, I've been around for all of this junk, and I remember it all...do I fall under "insane"?
+Quote Post
LaraLove
post Fri 13th February 2009, 6:08pm
Post #56

Wikipedia BLP advocate

Member No.: 4,627

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Fri 13th February 2009, 11:18am) *

Jon hrmph.gif

Or maybe it's that there's not jack interesting going on in the blog and people naturally segue into other topics.

O, look. Gerard said "Ahh, yep." Frame that for posterity.
+Quote Post
Random832
post Fri 13th February 2009, 6:15pm
Post #57

meh

Member No.: 4,844

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(Sarcasticidealist @ Fri 13th February 2009, 5:51pm) *

And unmoderated high-speed communication can veer even more off-topic even more quickly than would be implied by the increase in relative speed, because it's perceived as "cheap" (especially with easy context-switching enabled by quote blocks, whose invention I'm convinced forever doomed the idea of keeping a discussion to a single topic at a time)
+Quote Post
Doc glasgow
post Fri 13th February 2009, 6:20pm
Post #58

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(everyking @ Fri 13th February 2009, 5:57pm) *

QUOTE(Doc glasgow @ Fri 13th February 2009, 6:45pm) *

I think you qualify as "dead", because you've become completely irrelevant. Anyway, I've been around for all of this junk, and I remember it all...do I fall under "insane"?

"Become" irrelevant. Why, thanks. That implies I was once otherwise, before I became as you. wink.gif
+Quote Post
Moulton
post Fri 13th February 2009, 6:33pm
Post #59

Anthropologist from Mars

Group: Contributors
Member No.: 3,670

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

Cuss and Defect

Do I loathe you because you're reprehensible?
Or are you reprehensible because I loathe you?

Do I fight you because you're blunderful?
Or are you blunderful because I fight you?

Do I pwn you because you're such a fool?
Or are you such a fool because I pwned you?

Are you the nightmare of Franz Kafka's dream?
Or are you really as ridiculous as you seem?

[Music by Rodger That; Lyrics by Oscar Banhammer II.]
+Quote Post
EricBarbour
post Sat 14th February 2009, 12:19am
Post #60

blah

Member No.: 5,066

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(Moulton @ Fri 13th February 2009, 10:33am) *

Are you the nightmare of Franz Kafka's dream?
Or are you really as ridiculous as you seem?

What he said.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th 12 17, 2:47pm