FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Paid editing -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Paid editing, finally gets a full discussion
thekohser

Group: Regulars

Starting a new thread, since this is likely to become an interesting spot:

Requests for comment: Paid editing

...has been opened by Rootology.

I wonder if Wikipedia will invite one of the foremost authorities on paid editing of GFDL content, and its detection?

They claim that they aren't opposed to expert participation in Wikipedia. I'm making myself available. I'd only need a temporary unblock, restricted to this topic only. The offer stands.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Eva Destruction

Fat Cat

QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 9th June 2009, 9:13pm) *

I wonder if Wikipedia will invite one of the foremost authorities on paid editing of GFDL content, and its detection?

They claim that they aren't opposed to expert participation in Wikipedia. I'm making myself available. I'd only need a temporary unblock, restricted to this topic only. The offer stands.

I don't think the software can handle that – and I'm certain if I (or anyone) unblocked you it'd be reverted in seconds – but if you have something to say, post it here and I (or someone) will post it on your behalf. I assume even the "over my dead body" faction against you will recognise that you're in a unique position to comment on this one.
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Tue 9th June 2009, 4:16pm) *

I don't think the software can handle that – and I'm certain if I (or anyone) unblocked you it'd be reverted in seconds – but if you have something to say, post it here and I (or someone) will post it on your behalf. I assume even the "over my dead body" faction against you will recognise that you're in a unique position to comment on this one.

They don't need software. They have my word.

I'm not going to do the "Tell them I said this, tell them I said that" game. If they want my opinion, they can grant me access to that page. If not, no worries. Although... I already see several veiled and not-so-veiled insults being directed at me. They have it rigged, though, so that I may not respond.

That's really ingenious, if you think about it.
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

τὰ δέ μοι παθήματα μαθήματα γέγονε

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 5,619

QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 9th June 2009, 4:13pm) *

… has been opened by Rootology.

I'm guessing the whole exercise will be just about as productive of positive real-world results as Rootology's old WikiAbuseCom scam.

Jon (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/hrmph.gif)
+Quote Post
Hipocrite

Group: Contributors

QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 9th June 2009, 8:13pm) *

You aren't an expert in the fields of PR or Ethics. You might be an expert in Military History, and possibly in Market Research, but neither of those have anything to do with PR.
+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

Well, if it helps, I'd go there and point out that Greg deserves a hearing.
But if I did, I'd just cause trouble and be auto-banned....

because Shankbone is all over that discussion, and nobody has yet pointed out Shankers' many many COIs.
+Quote Post
anthony

Postmaster

QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Tue 9th June 2009, 9:21pm) *

Well, if it helps, I'd go there and point out that Greg deserves a hearing.
But if I did, I'd just cause trouble and be auto-banned....

"Why is he community banned?"

"Because no one will unblock him."

"What happens if I unblock him."

"You'll be banned."

"Why will I be banned for unblocking him?"

"Because he's community banned."

+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

QUOTE(anthony @ Tue 9th June 2009, 2:26pm) *

"What happens if I unblock him."
"You'll be banned."
"Why will I be banned for unblocking him?"
"Because he's community banned."

Ding Ding Ding!!! Give the man a cigar!
+Quote Post
RMHED

Ãœber Member

Becoming a tad project space obsessed is Rootology, can't say I'm surprised though, after all he is a born again Wikipedian.
+Quote Post
Eva Destruction

Fat Cat

QUOTE(RMHED @ Tue 9th June 2009, 11:19pm) *

Becoming a tad project space obsessed is Rootology, can't say I'm surprised though, after all he is a born again Wikipedian.

In his defense, 100+ of those edits were to a single Arbcom case he was involved in (Wikipedia:Arbitration/Requests/Case/A Man In Black/Workshop)
+Quote Post
sbrown

Group: Inactive

QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 9th June 2009, 9:31pm) *

I already see several veiled and not-so-veiled insults being directed at me. They have it rigged, though, so that I may not respond.

That's really ingenious, if you think about it.

Dont take it personally. That sort of thing happens on lots of sites to lots of people.
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(Hipocrite @ Tue 9th June 2009, 5:16pm) *

QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 9th June 2009, 8:13pm) *

You aren't an expert in the fields of PR or Ethics. You might be an expert in Military History, and possibly in Market Research, but neither of those have anything to do with PR.

You're betraying a fatal flaw of bias yourself, Hipocrite. Paid editing of GFDL content suitable for Wikipedia isn't always about public relations (PR). In fact, a good portion of the paid editing that I've ever done that has been published on Wikipedia was for clients who were seeking nothing more than a factual, encyclopedic documentation of their existence. Sometimes this was for legal reasons, other times to address the assumption that general inquiries about the company's history would be better handled on a publicly-maintained Wikipedia page than even by a buried "About Us" sub-page on the corporate web site. In these cases, it was not about "managing" the flow of information between the company and the public (which is the purpose of PR), but "ceding control" of information about the company to the public.

One article, in fact, I made sure to include an entire paragraph about the controversial social implications of the product, since that's what was frequently appearing in the news cycle at the time, and it would have inevitably been added by an opponent of the product, sooner or later. I was surprised, though, when Wikipediots like yourself managed, over time, to quietly excise that paragraph from the live article.

Please don't lecture me about public relations or ethics, until you've gotten that beam out of your eye. What are your credentials, Hipocrite? Who are you? What productive contributions have you made to your local community, to the economy, to society? You seem to know my background better than we know yours. Are you deliberately doing that to try to appear to have a position of superiority over those you look down upon? Why didn't you follow through, Hipocrite?
+Quote Post
Somey

Can't actually moderate (or even post)

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 275

QUOTE(Hipocrite @ Tue 9th June 2009, 4:16pm) *

When did "ethics" even enter into this discussion? This is Wikipedia we're talking about, remember? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/wacko.gif)

Besides, Market Research has lots to do with PR, if the PR is being done for an entity that's trying to sell something. Anybody with an ounce of knowledge of the subject knows that. Golly, could it possibly be that you don't actually care about reality or fact, and that you're just... trolling us? Surely this cannot be!
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(Somey @ Wed 10th June 2009, 12:35am) *

QUOTE(Hipocrite @ Tue 9th June 2009, 4:16pm) *

When did "ethics" even enter into this discussion? This is Wikipedia we're talking about, remember? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/wacko.gif)

Besides, Market Research has lots to do with PR, if the PR is being done for an entity that's trying to sell something. Anybody with an ounce of knowledge of the subject knows that. Golly, could it possibly be that you don't actually care about reality or fact, and that you're just... trolling us? Surely this cannot be!

Yeah, it's kind of weird that I didn't even bother to dismiss Hipocrite's stupid claim that Market Research has nothing to do with PR, when I wrote a paper entitled:

Market Research for PR
+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

QUOTE(Somey @ Tue 9th June 2009, 9:35pm) *
Golly, could it possibly be that you don't actually care about reality or fact, and that you're just... trolling us? Surely this cannot be!

Hipocrite has trolled people on WR before.
Doing it to ColScott here right now....

You're the admin, you could ban Hipocrite.....
+Quote Post
Hipocrite

Group: Contributors

QUOTE(Somey @ Wed 10th June 2009, 4:35am) *

Being an expert in Market Research does not make one an expert in Public Relations, the same way that being an expert in Financial Economics does not make one an expert in Sociology. One might be related to the other, but they're disparate diciplines.

QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Wed 10th June 2009, 5:21am) *
You're the admin, you could ban Hipocrite....

I DONT LIKE WHAT HE'S SAYING! BAN HIM! BAN HIM!

I guess it's goose gander equivalence here as well.
+Quote Post
thekohser

This comment by FayssalF is hilarious.

He advises readers to look at the Yahoo! Answer that was selected as "best answer" by the voters on that site.

Thing is, it got eleven votes as "best answer", when most of the best answers in the Wikipedia category are awarded with 2, 3, or 4 votes, typically. This particular answer was voted up by sockpuppets, because it was in the middle of my "war" with the Filipino Chess Boy, and he was very determined to make sure his answers were beating out mine (which I was socking up with 4-5 additional votes).

So, FayssalF is unwittingly holding up as evidence of "people's minds" the result of 2 or 3 users making themselves appear to be 11 users. GREAT EXAMPLE, FayssalF!

Greg

P.S. I love that Wikipedia allows this, too: "Greg Kohs was a bit of a dickhead, but only after he was shafted by Wikipedia." At least he couched it with "a bit".

This post has been edited by thekohser:
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

I have as much free time as a Wikipedia admin!

The RfC is a complete waste of time. And if you look to see who is weighing in with their votes, it is overwhelmingly made up of people who have never written a single article and/or never contribute to the significant improvement of Wikipedia's editorial content.

Believe me, it is very, very easy to spot which articles are the creation of paid writers. And the funny thing is, the paid writers almost never disguise their real life affiliation! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/fear.gif)
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Wed 10th June 2009, 9:53am) *

Believe me, it is very, very easy to spot which articles are the creation of paid writers. And the funny thing is, the paid writers almost never disguise their real life affiliation! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/fear.gif)

Can you spot any of the 12 or 13 paid articles that I've written?
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

I have as much free time as a Wikipedia admin!

QUOTE(thekohser @ Wed 10th June 2009, 9:55am) *

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Wed 10th June 2009, 9:53am) *

Can you spot any of the 12 or 13 paid articles that I've written?

Funny, I could ask you the same question! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)