FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Wikis -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> General Discussion? What's that all about?

This subforum is for general discussion of Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects. For a glossary of terms frequently used in such discussions, please refer to Wikipedia:Glossary. For a glossary of musical terms, see here. Other useful links:

Akahele.orgWikipedia-WatchWikitruthWP:ANWikiEN-L/Foundation-L (mailing lists) • Citizendium forums

> Wikis, Still cool, or 2008?
Emperor

Postmaster

Group: Regulars

Does anyone still care about wikis?

Everyone knows if they want their stuff to appear on the internet it's only a button-push away.

So why bother with wiki technology which is like 10 years old and involves so much hassle like code and arguing with nerds and pretending to know stuff?

Are any public wikis besides Wikipedia actually thriving?

All I see these days is wikis dying, getting absorbed into that craphole Wikia, or stagnating like Citizendium, Conservapedia, etc.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Kurt M. Weber

Group: Contributors

Wikis remain a useful way to permit non-technical users to publish content in a collaborative manner that provides capabilities for hierarchical organization and categorization, easy hyperlinking to related content in-text.

One of my current projects is developing a Mediawiki wiki for developers of constructed worlds to present their worlds. Each world is given its own namespace by the site administration, and the creator of each world is given admin rights over that namespace as well as the privileges necessary to grant or revoke admin rights over the same namespace to whomever he or she wishes.

Similarly, another project I've considered is developing a constructed world where, instead of presenting the story of the world directly, the worldbuilders create and release "primary sources," and those interested then evaluate those sources critically in light of already-discovered sources to build the history of the world themselves. A wiki is a great tool for something like this.
+Quote Post
GlassBeadGame

Dharma Bum

From: My name it means nothing. My age it means less. The country I come from is called the Mid-West.
Member No.: 981

QUOTE(Kurt M. Weber @ Fri 8th June 2012, 9:05am) *

Wikis remain a useful way to permit non-technical users to publish content in a collaborative manner that provides capabilities for hierarchical organization and categorization, easy hyperlinking to related content in-text.

One of my current projects is developing a Mediawiki wiki for developers of constructed worlds to present their worlds. Each world is given its own namespace by the site administration, and the creator of each world is given admin rights over that namespace as well as the privileges necessary to grant or revoke admin rights over the same namespace to whomever he or she wishes.

Similarly, another project I've considered is developing a constructed world where, instead of presenting the story of the world directly, the worldbuilders create and release "primary sources," and those interested then evaluate those sources critically in light of already-discovered sources to build the history of the world themselves. A wiki is a great tool for something like this.

Dweeb.
+Quote Post
Kurt M. Weber

QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Fri 8th June 2012, 5:54pm) *

Dweeb.

Indeed.

Is God still on your side, Magister?
+Quote Post
GlassBeadGame

Dharma Bum

From: My name it means nothing. My age it means less. The country I come from is called the Mid-West.

QUOTE(Kurt M. Weber @ Fri 8th June 2012, 9:12pm) *

Dweeb.

Indeed.

Is the rotting corpse of Ayn Rand on yours?
+Quote Post
Kurt M. Weber

QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Sat 9th June 2012, 3:38am) *

Dweeb.

Indeed.

Not so much. I had an epiphany after the massacres at Oakland and UC Davis.
+Quote Post
GlassBeadGame

Dharma Bum

QUOTE(Kurt M. Weber @ Sat 9th June 2012, 5:06pm) *

Dweeb.

Indeed.

I have no idea what you're talking about. Presumably some sort of Randoid infighting that nobody cares about. Given Wikipedian usage "massacres" probably refers to someone saying something unpleasant. Tlatelolco Massacare, yes. But Oakland and UC Davis? Unless you mean the Goh shootings? That seems like a piece of individual madness that resulted in a real tragedy but I'm not following why this would result in an epiphany.

+Quote Post
Kurt M. Weber

QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Sat 9th June 2012, 5:34pm) *

Dweeb.

Indeed.

I have no idea what you're talking about. Presumably some sort of Randoid infighting that nobody cares about. Given Wikipedian usage "massacres" probably refers to someone saying something unpleasant. Tlatelolco Massacare, yes. But Oakland and UC Davis? Unless you mean the Goh shootings? That seems like a piece of individual madness that resulted in a real tragedy but I'm not following why this would result in an epiphany.

The violent assaults on protesters in those places last fall made me realize that yes, private accumulation of wealth is indeed a form of coercive power.
+Quote Post
GlassBeadGame

Dharma Bum

QUOTE(Kurt M. Weber @ Sat 9th June 2012, 6:07pm) *

QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Sat 9th June 2012, 5:34pm) *

Dweeb.

Indeed.

I have no idea what you're talking about. Presumably some sort of Randoid infighting that nobody cares about. Given Wikipedian usage "massacres" probably refers to someone saying something unpleasant. Tlatelolco Massacre, yes. But Oakland and UC Davis? Unless you mean the Goh shootings? That seems like a piece of individual madness that resulted in a real tragedy but I'm not following why this would result in an epiphany.

The violent assaults on protesters in those places last fall made me realize that yes, private accumulation of wealth is indeed a form of coercive power.

So you "turned?" Good for you. Best of all you can read some non-crappy books now. Making fun of AR's writing will help with you're recovery. I'm with you on the excessive force toward the Occupy protesters, but still its a long ways from a "massacre."
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Emperor   Wikis  
The Joy   The Homestar Runner Wiki is one of the best. The ...  
Michaeldsuarez   I have some Wikia sites bookmarked, though there i...  
Detective   Some of the best wikis (e.g. tfwiki.net) have lef...  
EricBarbour   Comparison of wiki farms  
Web Fred   I find that a lot of FOSS developers have been usi...  
Text   Ward Cunningham, creator of the original concept o...  
jayvdb   Ward Cunningham, creator of the original concept ...  
Michaeldsuarez   [quote name='Michaeldsuarez' post='304668' date='...  
Detective   [quote name='Michaeldsuarez' post='304668' date=...  
The Joy   I almost forgot the Elder Scrolls wiki! http:...  
Emperor   I'm thinking the answer is yes, wikis are even...  
Jay   Is the rotting corpse of Ayn Rand on yours? It...  
GlassBeadGame   Is the rotting corpse of Ayn Rand on yours? It...  
Retrospect   Are any public wikis besides Wikipedia actually t...  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)