FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
User:Chase me ladies, I'm the cavalry -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> User:Chase me ladies, I'm the cavalry, Another member of the military moonlights as an admin and makes a fool
Heat

Tenured

Group: Regulars

User:Chase_me_ladies,_I'm_the_Cavalry is a member of "The Armed Forces of the Crown" (ie the Royal Navy) and a wikipedia admin on OTRS duty. He seems to have cocked this one up by taking at 100% face value an OTRS complaint by professional conspiracy theorist Isreal Shamir that User:RolandR was using Wikipedia to try to get him assassinated. Can you really enforce BLP by libelling an editor?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ulsterman

Group: Inactive

QUOTE(Heat @ Fri 13th August 2010, 6:11pm) *

"The Armed Forces of the Crown" (ie the Royal Navy)

Not necessarily. In the United Kingdom, the armed forces also include the Army and the Royal Air Force. And strictly speaking the armed forces of those other countries that still have the Queen as their head of State are "Armed Forces of the Crown". That of course includes Canada, Australia, New Zealand and a few places in the Caribbean.
+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

Group: Contributors
Member No.: 3,670

And the Falkland Islands.

Let's not forget the Royal Armed Forces of the Falkland islands.
+Quote Post
Heat

Tenured

QUOTE(ulsterman @ Fri 13th August 2010, 9:10pm) *

QUOTE(Heat @ Fri 13th August 2010, 6:11pm) *

"The Armed Forces of the Crown" (ie the Royal Navy)

Not necessarily. In the United Kingdom, the armed forces also include the Army and the Royal Air Force. And strictly speaking the armed forces of those other countries that still have the Queen as their head of State are "Armed Forces of the Crown". That of course includes Canada, Australia, New Zealand and a few places in the Caribbean.

His user page also states: " I am in the Royal Navy."

This post has been edited by Heat:
+Quote Post
tarantino

the Dude abides

QUOTE(Heat @ Fri 13th August 2010, 9:23pm) *

He refers to the Navy elsewhere on his userpage:

(IMG:http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/3/36/UserHawkerTyphoon.JPG/450px-UserHawkerTyphoon.JPG)
Isn't he dreamy?
+Quote Post
SB_Johnny

It wasn't me who made honky-tonk angels

QUOTE(tarantino @ Fri 13th August 2010, 6:42pm) *

(IMG:http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/3/36/UserHawkerTyphoon.JPG/450px-UserHawkerTyphoon.JPG)
Isn't he dreamy?

Ah, the Tommy Hilfinger Royal Navy. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
The Joy

I am a millipede! I am amazing!

Group: Members
Member No.: 982

QUOTE(SB_Johnny @ Fri 13th August 2010, 8:15pm) *

Isn't he dreamy?

Ah, the Tommy Hilfinger Royal Navy. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/biggrin.gif)

Is his pants buttoned? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/blink.gif) (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/hrmph.gif)
+Quote Post
Heat

Tenured

He strikes me as the type who is too immature to handle authority. He reads an OTRS complaint, lacks the capacity or intellectual tools to deal with it critically and instead identifies completely with the complainant. He then exceeds his authority and violates the rights of others and uses his secret and privileged knowledge of the content of the OTRS letter to justify everything. Trust me, I'm an admin, I can't tell you the reasons for my actions except in enough detail as to completely bias the discussion. And, of course, he can't resist lording it over mere editors and trumping up the fact that he's a member of the elect trusted with TOP SECRET and CONFIDENTIAL information.

Another admin, Jayjg, no friend of RolandR has looked at the OTRS complaint. This is his verdict on it:

Well, I think I can say that I've read the OTRS ticket-based accusations raised against you in that thread, and they appear run the gamut from unbelievable to laughable, consisting of the same kinds of non-factual conspiratorial inventions that are often advanced by the subject of the article.

I don't know what User:Chase me ladies, I'm the cavalry does in the military but I certainly hope, for the sake of Her Majesty and all, that he's not in military intelligence since a) he obviously lacks the critical thinking skills needed to assess information and b) he obviously lacks discretion and doesn't know how to handle "confidential" information. He'd rather gossip scandalously in order to let everyone know that he has authoritay (as Cartman in South Park would say) then actually be mature and keep confidential information confidential if, for no other reason, than not to spread gossip and slander.
+Quote Post
Somey

Can't actually moderate (or even post)

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 275

I'm redundantly repeating myself again for the umpteenth time, but this is a classic example of why an opt-out policy would be good for Wikipedia - there's no reason why someone who calls himself something as silly as "Chase Me Ladies, I'm the Cavalry" should be dealing with this, or should even be allowed to deal with this, other than to ask this person, "do you want the article deleted, with no chance of it ever being restored while you're alive"? And if the person says "yes," that's it - clean break, end of discussion. Nobody loses, not really. Instead, we get incidents like this one, which only make Wikipedia look even more stupid than it actually is.

If Shamir says, "no, I don't want the article deleted," then they simply say, "sorry, but in that case your options are to let people smear you, or try to fix the article yourself, or find out who's smearing you and sue them, at least until such time as you can sue the Wikimedia Foundation for hosting the article."

What would Shamir's choice likely be? Does anyone know? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/unsure.gif)

If he's at least partially sane (which does seem arguable), IMO he'd probably want it deleted. From what I gather, the only real purpose for this article is to further demonstrate that there are still people in the world who don't like Jews for reasons that are at best incoherent, and at worst, stupid and hateful - and that some of those people are in positions where they could conceivably influence others, assuming the word "others" means "a bunch of gullible idiots." But the article only makes him look more influential, probably more than he actually is, and certainly more than he deserves to be.
+Quote Post
The Joy

I am a millipede! I am amazing!

Member No.: 982

Mr. Shamir can't even respond on Wikipedia since he was blocked for editing his article. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/angry.gif) (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/hrmph.gif)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Israel_shamir
+Quote Post
Somey

QUOTE(The Joy @ Sat 14th August 2010, 12:03am) *
Mr. Shamir can't even respond on Wikipedia since he was blocked for editing his article. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/angry.gif) (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/hrmph.gif)

Right - I meant "try to fix the article yourself while pretending to be someone other than you," but the phone rang at just that moment...
+Quote Post
Heat

Tenured

It's pretty obvious that User:Kingfisher12 is Israel Shamir (and it's also obvious that the OTRS complainant is Kingfisher12. Rather incredibly, Cavalry says of Kingfisher "For what it's worth, I sincerely don't think it's Shamir." even though the arguments Kingfisher makes in Talk:Israel Shamir are identical to the arguments Shamir himself makes in the OTRS complaint (which Chase me quotes directly before realising he really shouldn't do that)

I don't think I've ever seen such a gullible and credulous admin before. The Royal Navy's standards must be dropping - either that or they value uncritical belief of everything you're told above all else.
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

I have as much free time as a Wikipedia admin!

He looks like Jimmy Fallon in a cheap wig.

Can anyone guess where that photo was taken?
+Quote Post
Basil

Do they really allow naval ratings to sport such a haircut? In my day you would have been sent straight to the barbers and then some. I guess he's really a wannabe.
+Quote Post
Heat

Tenured

QUOTE(Basil @ Sat 14th August 2010, 6:10pm) *

Do they really allow naval ratings to sport such a haircut? In my day you would have been sent straight to the barbers and then some. I guess he's really a wannabe.

Those are definitely naval regulation blue jeans.

Surely, you're not suggesting that a Wikipedia admin, let alone a Wikipedia editor, would fake their bio in a quest for respect, buy a surplus navy shirt and head down to his local dock to get some pics taken in front of a submarine?

Isn't it a violation of military discipline to be half in uniform like that?

His user page has a picture of him sporting shorter hair and (apparently) firing a gun - or at least posing with a gun. Unclear to me if he's wearing proper naval attire.

Could be worse though. At least he's not eating a cheese sandwich.

+Quote Post
Somey

QUOTE(Heat @ Sat 14th August 2010, 1:17pm) *

Particularly if the cheese sandwich was Photoshopped in later on - that would be terrible!

QUOTE(Horsey)

It looks a lot like the HMS Ocelot, an Oberon-class sub that's in drydock in Chatham (and pretty much a museum piece at this point), but I wouldn't swear to it. I might swear at it, though, if it surfaced too close to my rowboat while I was fishing or something.
+Quote Post
Emperor

Postmaster

QUOTE(Somey @ Sat 14th August 2010, 12:31am) *

I'm redundantly repeating myself again for the umpteenth time, but this is a classic example of why an opt-out policy would be good for Wikipedia - there's no reason why someone who calls himself something as silly as "Chase Me Ladies, I'm the Cavalry" should be dealing with this, or should even be allowed to deal with this, other than to ask this person, "do you want the article deleted, with no chance of it ever being restored while you're alive"? And if the person says "yes," that's it - clean break, end of discussion. Nobody loses, not really. Instead, we get incidents like this one, which only make Wikipedia look even more stupid than it actually is.

Encyc has no BLPs. Let Wikipedia deal with that godawful mess.
+Quote Post
Heat

Tenured

QUOTE(Somey @ Sat 14th August 2010, 7:10pm) *

QUOTE(Heat @ Sat 14th August 2010, 1:17pm) *

Particularly if the cheese sandwich was Photoshopped in later on - that would be terrible!

QUOTE(Horsey)

It looks a lot like the HMS Ocelot, an Oberon-class sub that's in drydock in Chatham (and pretty much a museum piece at this point), but I wouldn't swear to it. I might swear at it, though, if it surfaced too close to my rowboat while I was fishing or something.

So is this guy really in the Royal Navy or is he a bike messenger with a Walter Mitty streak?
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

Known alias of J. Random Troll

I still haven't figured out the need to air out his navel, as he's holding up the shirt to do. I guess this really is navel duty. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/happy.gif) Wash out the lint, and let 'er air dry at the docks. Oh. Ah.
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Sat 14th August 2010, 5:26pm) *

I still haven't figured out the need to air out his navel, as he's holding up the shirt to do. I guess this really is navel duty. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/happy.gif) Wash out the lint, and let 'er air dry at the docks. Oh. Ah.

Well, that Panwyn chick found him amusing -- remember they were editing together on a date? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif)
+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Sat 14th August 2010, 3:04pm) *
Well, that Panwyn chick found him amusing -- remember they were editing together on a date? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif)

That's Panyd, silly boy.

I could swear that someone outed Chase Me on WR last year......Ah!
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Sat 14th August 2010, 6:25pm) *

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Sat 14th August 2010, 3:04pm) *

That's Panyd, silly boy.

Panwyn, Panyd, Panovision, Pandemonium...eh, you can't tell these characters apart without a program. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
Somey

QUOTE(Heat @ Sat 14th August 2010, 3:43pm) *
So is this guy really in the Royal Navy or is he a bike messenger with a Walter Mitty streak?

Generally speaking, if a person's claimed backstory is fairly plausible, I like to give him the benefit of the doubt. Some of you might recall that I even wanted to give Essjay the benefit of the doubt at first, after seeing his Wikia-staff user page.

It does seem as though an active-duty submariner would be too busy, uh, submarining to be a Wikipedia admin, but to his credit, he does take signifcant amounts of time-off from WP activities, most recently from July 1 to July 20. The username tends to suggest someone who's trying a bit too hard to be clever, but that's not proof of deception, nor is the fact that he's photographed here in front of an all-but-mothballed submarine in drydock rather than one that's in regular use. (It's possible the HMS Ocelot is still used for training, I suppose.) I'm also reasonably certain that there's no law, even in the UK, against appearing in public wearing only part of one's uniform - though I doubt they encourage it, of course. Still, to me that's actually the biggest question here: Why not the whole uniform? Even on Wikipedia it would be nothing to be ashamed of, and if he's concerned about being identified (though he already has been), you'd think he'd avoid posting any photos of himself whatsoever. And as Mr. Ba - oops, Basil points out, his hair is too long even for the Royal Nay-vee (hey man, it's something other than else!). But hair grows back, and the "partial uniform" thing is probably nothing - maybe he just doesn't think he looks good in it.

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Sat 14th August 2010, 4:26pm) *
I still haven't figured out the need to air out his navel, as he's holding up the shirt to do. I guess this really is navel duty.

It's possible that he's only realizing that his shirt isn't tucked in as he sees the camera is being pointed at him, and he's reaching down to do that, sort of as a reflex or whatever. But if that were the case, you'd think he wouldn't be so fond of the photo that he'd upload it onto Wikipedia and put it on his user page...?

Anyhoo, he does seem to be an odd sort of character, but I'm far from ready to say his backstory is bogus. After all, if it isn't bogus, then to say otherwise might easily be taken as disrespectful to the entire Royal Navy Submarine Command, a fine group of brave and sharp fellows if ever there was one, who are serving their country honorably and (in most cases) quite selflessly.
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

I don't know if England's answer to Captain Crunch is aware of this conversation, but this photo is now on his user page:

(IMG:http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a8/Chaseme.jpg)

I am not certain what he is doing in this photo, but I get the impression (based on his non-military haircut and the blurry presence of the man in the pink shirt and white hat in the background) he is engaged in some sort of a carnival game -- most likely the one where you shoot a water rifle into a plastic clown's mouth and inflate a balloon in an attempt to win a stuffed toy.
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

QUOTE(Somey @ Sun 15th August 2010, 1:35am) *
Anyhoo, he does seem to be an odd sort of character, but I'm far from ready to say his backstory is bogus.

There used to be other photos of him on his MySpace page that showed him clowning around at a pub. I've never seen any photos online where he is actually in a Royal Navy uniform.

As an admin, I always thought that he was something of a dope. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/ermm.gif)
+Quote Post
Skinny87

Neophyte

That is indeed Chatham Dockyard - you can recognize HMS Cavalier in the background, the Second World War British Destroyer Memorial, I used to volunteer there.

Oceolt is in permanent drydock and certainly isn't used for training; it's been a few years, but if memory serves she's been welded to the drydock and wouldn't be able to go out to sea even if she wanted to. As an aside, if anyone ever can get to the Dockyard, it's a great place to explore, if a little pricey. The Ocelot is a tight squeeze to get into, but quite impressive to go around.
+Quote Post
Somey

QUOTE(Skinny87 @ Tue 17th August 2010, 4:27pm) *
The Ocelot is a tight squeeze to get into, but quite impressive to go around.

Thank goodness I'm an admin here, and therefore I would never dream of quoting something like that out-of-context!
+Quote Post
Subtle Bee

melli fera, fera...

Group: Inactive

QUOTE(Somey @ Tue 17th August 2010, 9:54pm) *

Thank goodness I'm an admin here, and therefore I would never dream of quoting something like that out-of-context!

QUOTE(Somey @ Tue 17th August 2010, 9:51pm) *

Also, I'm interested in getting my hands on anything you've been ingesting orally...

Yup. It's a good policy.
+Quote Post
Skinny87

Neophyte

QUOTE(Somey @ Wed 18th August 2010, 5:54am) *

Of course you wouldn't - think of WR's reputation!
+Quote Post
Peter Damian

Bumping this with the recent newsround piece on the BBC, for your interest. Warning: pictures of a Wikipedian's bedsit, not for the faint-hearted.

Wikipedia, the online encyclopaedia, is 10 years old.
Since its launch in 2001, the site has grown from nothing to around 17m articles (3.5m in English).
Its open style, with most articles available to be edited by anyone, has attracted controversy and criticism.
For some, the ability to update and contribute to the site is addictive.
Richard Symonds is one of the UK's top "Wikipedians" and spends up to eight hours a day working on the site.
He is currently unemployed, so is working full-time for free.
That dedication has led to Richard becoming one of only 18 "Arbitrators": high-end users voted onto a committee that decides on the most controversial subjects.
That role can also attract unwanted attention, as he explains.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12181483

See also here http://wikipediareview.com/index.php?s=&sh...ndpost&p=265601

This post has been edited by Peter Damian:
+Quote Post
Peter Damian

QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Sun 16th January 2011, 3:42pm) *

Bumping this with the recent newsround piece on the BBC, for your interest. Warning: pictures of a Wikipedian's bedsit, not for the faint-hearted.

Since its launch in 2001, the site has grown from nothing to around 17m articles (3.5m in English).
Its open style, with most articles available to be edited by anyone, has attracted controversy and criticism.
Richard Symonds is one of the UK's top "Wikipedians" and spends up to eight hours a day working on the site.
That dedication has led to Richard becoming one of only 18 "Arbitrators": high-end users voted onto a committee that decides on the most controversial subjects.

[edit] Oh yes and he is not working 'for free'. Presumably is work on Wikipedia is being funded at the taxpayer's expense, i.e. at my expense. Outrageous. Get a job (and a life).
+Quote Post
Heat

Tenured

QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Sun 16th January 2011, 4:12pm) *

[edit] Oh yes and he is not working 'for free'. Presumably is work on Wikipedia is being funded at the taxpayer's expense, i.e. at my expense. Outrageous. Get a job (and a life).

Hm, he says ArbComm deals with "content disputes".

+Quote Post
Peter Damian

QUOTE(Heat @ Sun 16th January 2011, 4:34pm) *

Indeed, 'very very top end content disputes' [sic].
+Quote Post
Heat

Tenured

QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Sun 16th January 2011, 4:37pm) *

QUOTE(Heat @ Sun 16th January 2011, 4:34pm) *

Indeed, 'very very top end content disputes' [sic].

You'd think in six years trying to get on the ArbComm he would have learned that "ArbComm doesn't deal with content disputes"? Well, this restores my faith in that venerated institution, truly staffed by le creme de la creme.

+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Sun 16th January 2011, 10:42am) *

Uh, so what happened to the Royal Navy? I thought he was out doing the Rule Brittania routine on the choppy waves. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/blink.gif)

And that video on the BBC web site is hilarious. He looks and sounds like the gecko from the GEICO commercials that run on US television. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)

This post has been edited by A Horse With No Name:
+Quote Post
Peter Damian

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Sun 16th January 2011, 6:41pm) *

QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Sun 16th January 2011, 10:42am) *

Uh, so what happened to the Royal Navy? I thought he was out doing the Rule Brittania routine on the choppy waves. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/blink.gif)

And that video on the BBC web site is hilarious. He looks and sounds like the gecko from the GEICO commercials that run on US television. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)

I am in the Royal Naval Reserve, occasionally full-time and occasionally part-time.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Chase_me...27m_the_Cavalry

Occasionally none of the time, I suppose.
+Quote Post
RMHED

Ãœber Member

That whole interview was a real cringe-fest.

Am I the only one who feels embarrassed on his behalf?
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

QUOTE(RMHED @ Sun 16th January 2011, 2:38pm) *

What does Panyd feel? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/evilgrin.gif)

I am in the Royal Naval Reserve, occasionally full-time and occasionally part-time.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Chase_me...27m_the_Cavalry

What a funny snapshot! Message to the Argentine military: you may want to take a second crack at regaining the Falklands! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif)

+Quote Post
Guido den Broeder

Where is Horatio Hornblower when you need him? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

QUOTE(RMHED @ Sun 16th January 2011, 11:38am) *

That whole interview was a real cringe-fest.

Don't be---he is, sadly, a typical obsessive and not-very-social WPer.
Incapable of self-examination, thus has no idea that he appears to be a stereotypical dork.
All he needs is some tape on the glasses.

But do bookmark this interview, and use it as a future example/warning for others.

This post has been edited by EricBarbour:
+Quote Post
Cock-up-over-conspiracy

Now censored by flckr.com and who else ... ???

QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Sun 16th January 2011, 4:12pm) *
Oh yes and he is not working 'for free'. Presumably is work on Wikipedia is being funded at the taxpayer's expense, i.e. at my expense. Outrageous. Get a job (and a life).

Excuse me ... but isn't that against the requirements for receipt of social benefit in the UK?

"I am working full-time" ... 8 hours a day. He is playing 8 hours a day instead of looking for a job.
+Quote Post
thekohser

Wait.

Before anyone starts saying this guy is milking taxpayers of their money while he wiki-fiddles, do we know that he's actually receiving public funds in lieu of a wage?
+Quote Post
Peter Damian

It’s rather sad. His Linked In page has his current job as “English Wikipedia Arbitrator at Wikipedia”. The ‘company website’ links to his user page on Wikipedia.

He is a reservist in the Royal Naval Reserve. This is a voluntary organisation that supports the Royal Navy. Volunteers are only paid (about £40 a day) when they go on training.

+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Mon 17th January 2011, 3:42pm) *

It’s rather sad. His Linked In page has his current job as “English Wikipedia Arbitrator at Wikipedia”. The ‘company website’ links to his user page on Wikipedia.

He is a reservist in the Royal Naval Reserve. This is a voluntary organisation that supports the Royal Navy. Volunteers are only paid (about £40 a day) when they go on training.

I accessed his CV on LinkedIn. He graduated from university in 2006 and had a single private sector job, from 2009 and 2010. He has been a seaman reservist in the Royal Navy since 2007. Otherwise, no employment (volunteering on a website doesn't count.)

I don’t know if this is a reflection on him or the state of job opportunities in the UK, but it is not what I expected – especially when his WP User Page in 2008 stated, “I am an officer in the Royal Navy.”
+Quote Post
Heat

Tenured

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Mon 17th January 2011, 10:17pm) *

QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Mon 17th January 2011, 3:42pm) *

I accessed his CV on LinkedIn. He graduated from university in 2006 and had a single private sector job, from 2009 and 2010. He has been a seaman reservist in the Royal Navy since 2007. Otherwise, no employment (volunteering on a website doesn't count.)

I don’t know if this is a reflection on him or the state of job opportunities in the UK, but it is not what I expected – especially when his WP User Page in 2008 stated, “I am an officer in the Royal Navy.”

Well, given that Prince William and Prince Harry are also British military officers I don't think real world employability is a criteria for being an officer.
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

It appears that Lord Nelson is reading WR, because he abruptly reconfigured his User Page history when it was pointed out here that he falsely claimed to be "an officer in the Royal Navy": http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...&action=history

But as any Wikipedian knows all too well, you cannot rewrite history: http://www.webcitation.org/5voZByePw
+Quote Post
carbuncle

Fat Cat

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Tue 18th January 2011, 2:28pm) *

It appears that Lord Nelson is reading WR, because he abruptly reconfigured his User Page history when it was pointed out here that he falsely claimed to be "an officer in the Royal Navy": http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...&action=history

But as any Wikipedian knows all too well, you cannot rewrite history: http://www.webcitation.org/5voZByePw

If someone says "I am an officer in the "Royal Navy" and displays the insignia of lieutenant on their user page, I think most people would assume that they are a lieutenant in the Royal Navy. Surely a trusted admin and Arbcom member would not first lie about such a thing, and then compound the issue by deleting revisions of their user page? I'm sure there will be clarification forthcoming in the very near future which will clear up all of this unfortunate misunderstanding.
+Quote Post
carbuncle

Fat Cat

QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Mon 17th January 2011, 8:42pm) *

What LinkedIn page? There is no LinkedIn profile page and I'm sure there never was. Although when I was researching semen reservists on Google, I accidentally came across this cached page of a LinkedIn profile of someone with the same name.

Richard Symonds’s Experience

Social Media & Fundraising Volunteer
Wikimedia Foundation

(Non-Profit; 11-50 employees; Internet industry)

Currently holds this position
Seaman Reservist
Royal Navy

(Government Agency; Military industry)

2007 — Present (3 years )

• Above Water Force Protection branch, providing close-in protection to MoD assets worldwide.
• Position requires excellent teamwork skills, stress management and the ability to make rapid high-pressure decisions. First aid and firefighting training are renewed on a yearly basis.
• I scored the second highest category in my most recent report, and my teamwork and leadership skills are excellent.

This post has been edited by carbuncle:
+Quote Post
lilburne

Chameleon

QUOTE(carbuncle @ Tue 18th January 2011, 3:30pm) *

Although when I was researching semen reservists on Google

Surly not.
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

QUOTE(carbuncle @ Tue 18th January 2011, 10:30am) *

What LinkedIn page? There is no LinkedIn profile page and I'm sure there never was.

He deleted the page -- he is clearly aware of this conversation, otherwise there would be no reason for the page to abruptly vanish one day after Petey and I cited its content. Especially when those contents show a job history that contradicts claims of his being a naval officer.

As of now, however, the residue of the deleted page remains in full -- but it is only accessible if you first sign into your LinkedIn account and then click the Google cache link above.

+Quote Post
Kelly Martin

Bring back the guttersnipes!

Member No.: 6,696

It's interesting to me how many Wikipedians are clearly so ashamed of their association with Wikipedia that they go to great lengths to conceal it. Why is participation in Wikipedia such a shameful thing?
+Quote Post
carbuncle

Fat Cat

(IMG:http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/3/36/UserHawkerTyphoon.JPG/200px-UserHawkerTyphoon.JPG)
There was some discussion earlier about whether this image was intended to prove that Chase Me/HawkerTyphoon was in the Royal Navy. On the one hand it says "HawkerTyphoon is in the Navy" right on the image's page. On the other hand, there's the uniform question.

The shoulder patch is clearly not Royal Navy. The central insignia appears to be a maple leaf, there's some writing at the bottom that could start with "C" and there's some tiny red thing at the upper left. I will award 10 ten wiki-points for correctly guessing which country this badge originates from and a further 50 wiki-points for correctly identifying the service. The first one should be easy, but I'll give a further hint: it's not Cameroon.

Suffice to say, this image has nothing to do with the Royal Navy, or at least provides nothing to substantiate any claims of being part of it.
+Quote Post
thekohser

I was asked to convey the following e-mail note to me from Richard ("Chase me ladies..."):

Greg,

Re: http://wikipediareview.com/index.php?showt...525&hl=chase+me - I want to clear a few things up, but don't want to sign up to WR, so I'm emailing you.

I'm not on the dole, and I want to make that very clear - that would be immoral of me, and as you can see by the shitty state of the place I live, I don't exactly live in the lap of luxury. I scrape by with the help of my other half and our savings, as well as my job in the reserves. I take no taxpayer money of any kind, bar my wages from the navy reserves, which I am entitled to and work for. I am also not a submariner, and I find it mildly amusing that some of the WR folks think so based on a single picture taken of me, at a closed dockyard, in front of an ancient submarine, from before I joined the navy. I am in the reserves; we don't have submarines - and I'm not a high-flier in the reserves either, just a dogsbody. I do it for the same reason I do WP - because I enjoy it! The shirt in the now infamous picture of me is a Canadian customs one I picked up from Brick Lane, in London, and the photo of me aiming a GPMG was taken at 'Navy Days' - in both pictures I'm acting as a civilian. I don't like putting pictures of me in a uniform online because my job in the reserves obviously leaves me open to real-life attacks, not to mention stern words from my CO about 'security' and so on and so forth. I haven't been to the reserves in a month or two, anyway - my own projects (the fundraiser, contrib team, the organising of the London WP:10 parties, to name a few), have taken up most of my time.

As to the 'outing', that was not done by Daniel Brandt (who has most of the information about me wrong, and I'm not entirely sure where he got that date for my birthday...) - it refers to a piece that appeared about me in the press a few years ago which linked my pseudonym to my real name and other details about me and my then-employer. It's since been removed by the website as a show of good faith. As to the 'Arbcom controls content' and 'top Wikipedia contributor' nonsense that the BBC decided to put up, I had no part in that. You know how the press works. They think that arbcom is some sort of mystical top-echelon cabal that controls everything, and that you have to be 'promoted' to get there. We all know that's not true and that I'm a piss-poor content contributor, and I've made it clear publicly in the past that Arbcom doesn't control content. I explained what arbcom do to the gentleman who interviewed me, and he's obviously tried to condense it down as much as he can into something that the public can understand.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Kind regards,

Richard

P.S. If anyone wants to contact me for any reason, I'm on chasemewiki@gmail.com.

+Quote Post
Heat

Tenured

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Tue 18th January 2011, 2:28pm) *

Interesting. Lying on your resume is enough to get you fired from any "top end" job (and any low end job for that matter). I can think of a few corporate execs who were forced to resign when resume fudging came to light, even when it came to light years after the fact and the offence occurred long before the individual rose through the ranks. It will be interesting to see if a "top end" position at Wikipedia is subject to the same standards or will his fibbing be excused by Jimbo the way it originally was for Essjay?
+Quote Post
Heat

Tenured

QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 18th January 2011, 5:30pm) *

I was asked to convey the following e-mail note to me from Richard ("Chase me ladies..."):

Yeah, why did you lie about being an officer and, now that this lie has been exposed, when are you going to submit your resignation from ArbCom?
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

QUOTE(Heat @ Tue 18th January 2011, 12:52pm) *

Yeah, why did you lie about being an officer and, now that this lie has been exposed, when are you going to submit your resignation from ArbCom?

And in follow up:

1. Why did you delete your LinkedIn profile one day after WR cited your shaky claims of being an officer?

2. Why did you delete the history of your WP user page one day after WR cited your shaky claims of being an officer?

3. If you were concerned about media coverage that linked your pseudonym to your real name, why have you continued to use that pseudonym as your identity on several social media sites?

4. What are you getting Wills and Kate for a wedding present? (Hey, all WP-talk gets dull after a while.)

+Quote Post
Peter Damian

As to the 'Arbcom controls content' and 'top Wikipedia contributor' nonsense that the BBC decided to put up, I had no part in that. You know how the press works.

Er excuse me. You say "The arbitration committee deal with very very top end content disputes" at 1:01. Anyone who knows how the press works knows that they never fool around with your actual words. And those were your actual words. You didn't have to say that, but you did.

Liar. Typical member of Arbcom.

QUOTE(Heat @ Tue 18th January 2011, 5:48pm) *

It will be interesting to see if a "top end" position at Wikipedia is subject to the same standards or will his fibbing be excused by Jimbo the way it originally was for Essjay?

Duh.
+Quote Post
SB_Johnny

Is anyone else vicariously blushing for this guy?

You'd think they'd do at least a little teeny bit of vetting after the essjay thing.
+Quote Post
Ottava

Ãœber Pokemon

Mods, why is this in a public forum? Shouldn't it be somewhere like BLP forum?

This doesn't seem to have anything to do with his activities. I came here expecting something and I see nothing.

We have Arbitrators who plagiarize. We have arbitrators who have sex websites. We have arbitrators who have all sorts of ethical problems.

Military related issues have little to do with maintaining an encyclopedia and upholding encyclopedic standards. Are we to draw that he cannot be trusted because he puffed up his background in his youth? If so, then 99% of Wikimedians can't be trusted.

How about some real issues. Out of all the Arbitrators, I think he is probably someone I could actually respected or, at least, tolerate. Many of them have demonstrated some of the worse possible behavior on Wiki or off Wiki.

And who cares if he doesn't have a job. I don't care. I would predict that most editors here don't have a job. The ones that do, like Thekohser have internet related work that explains why they are here. Hell, much of my activity here and online was to subsidize my boredom between putting out campaign propaganda on message boards and news sites.

But in short, I am bothered that so many people take pot shots about an identified person while hiding behind fake names. So many people are fast and loose with other people's personal details while hiding their own. Can we implement a rule that anyone who reveals other people's info has their IP revealed and their email they used to registered here revealed?

I mean, come on. How do we know that some of these people doing it aren't prominent wikimedians just doing it all for political gain? We do we know that someone who would go after The Cavalry is not, say, another Arbitrator who wants to get rid of a rival? There seems to be no legitimate reason to embarrass others while hiding behind a fake name. And about the Arbitrators - of the current ArbCom, about half have used WR and I know of at least two that used different names from their Wiki names. So, it isn't beyond reason to think it could happen.
+Quote Post
carbuncle

Fat Cat

"I don't like putting pictures of me in a uniform online because my job in the reserves obviously leaves me open to real-life attacks, not to mention stern words from my CO about 'security' and so on and so forth," says the man who has a picture of himself in uniform on his WP user page.

I wonder how that CO would feel about Richard claiming to be a Royal Navy lieutenant?

+Quote Post
Peter Damian

QUOTE(Ottava @ Tue 18th January 2011, 7:36pm) *

We have Arbitrators who plagiarize. We have arbitrators who have sex websites. We have arbitrators who have all sorts of ethical problems.

And we have arbitrators who are unable to tell the truth. Many of them, in fact.
+Quote Post
Heat

Tenured

This doesn't seem to have anything to do with his activities. I came here expecting something and I see nothing.

Lying about your credentials is a pretty big thing. Claiming you're a "Royal Navy Officer" implies a certain level of accomplishment and responsibility which would undoubtedly have impressed people voting for ArbComm. Secondly, as an editor, claiming that you are a military officer lends your edits in military articles a certain weight and credibility they might not otherwise have as well as help your position in related discussions. It's actually quite similar to the Essjay nonsense.
+Quote Post
Peter Damian

How do we know that some of these people doing it aren't prominent wikimedians just doing it all for political gain?

You have another appeal lodged with the Liars Committee, I take it?
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

QUOTE(Ottava @ Tue 18th January 2011, 2:36pm) *
We have arbitrators who have sex websites.

Coren has competition? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Ottava

Ãœber Pokemon

QUOTE(Heat @ Tue 18th January 2011, 2:56pm) *

Lying about your credentials is a pretty big thing. Claiming you're a "Royal Navy Officer" implies a certain level of accomplishment and responsibility ...

That has nothing to do with editing an encyclopedia. You know? Essjay lied about being a professor and having degrees to win theological arguments. I haven't seen Chase battle in MilHistory articles.

However, -those articles- do have many problems that were encouraged by a culture of "I don't give a damn" led by Roger Davies and his "I made minimal changes to the source when making this article because I can't actually write any but I need articles to justify running MilHist so I can become an arbitrator".

Peter Damian

You have another appeal lodged with the Liars Committee, I take it?

Sadly as always. Another reject before it was sent in. I will win the award for longest "year" ever most likely (i.e. it 2021 will be when they let me back in).

But I believe you are referring to me either defending Chase (if I am?) or attacking other Arbs. As to the first, I doubt he really cares about my opinion either way. As per the second, shooting myself in the foot and not doing the political expedient thing is my MO.

As per statements from many Arbs, if I just vanished for 6 months then did a lot of sucking up I would be instantly allowed back in. I have enough will power that such would be easy. I just don't "want" it enough to do that. You know? Editing never really did anything for me except make me upset, but that could be having been intimidated by people and bullied by people from day one, from Geogre's socking nonsense to Moreschi's tag teaming and constant outing nonsense.

My real purpose here is to fight off a culture of baseless outing at WR. It is personal, as those like SB Johnny toss around my personal information without any care. It is one thing if such people have their own info available, like Daniel Brandt. Daniel Brandt reveals others because of his own BLP being tarnished.

But isn't it hypocritical for people to hide in anonymity and bully others through outing? I can respect Brandt and I sympathise with him. I can't respect the others. Somey has thankfully deleted tons of posts by many people where they put up my real life details, address, phone number, etc. But the culture continues. It is a sickness of the internet - I get to be anonymous but you don't.

Either we are all anonymous or all well-known, not this current hateful bs. And Peter, I don't have your email address anymore so drop me an email sometime. I would have BCC'd my ArbCom appeal to you so you could have seen what was up.
+Quote Post
Cedric

General Gato

Member No.: 1,116

QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 18th January 2011, 11:30am) *

Greg,

Re: http://wikipediareview.com/index.php?showt...525&hl=chase+me - I want to clear a few things up, but don't want to sign up to WR, so I'm emailing you.

[snip][Look at the monkey! Look at the silly monkey!][/snip]

Kind regards,

Richard

P.S. If anyone wants to contact me for any reason, I'm on chasemewiki@gmail.com.

Well, well! Our Richard sure likes to live dangerously, doesn't he? Impersonating an officer of Her Majesty's Navy and treasonable correspondence with the enemy. What's his encore? Burgling the crown jewels? Blowing up Parliament?

"You know something? All this brand confusion

really burns my bundt cake!"
+Quote Post
SB_Johnny

QUOTE(Ottava @ Tue 18th January 2011, 4:02pm) *

As per statements from many Arbs, if I just vanished for 6 months then did a lot of sucking up I would be instantly allowed back in. I have enough will power that such would be easy. I just don't "want" it enough to do that. You know? Editing never really did anything for me except make me upset, but that could be having been intimidated by people and bullied by people from day one, from Geogre's socking nonsense to Moreschi's tag teaming and constant outing nonsense.

Do you need a tissue, sweetie? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tearinghairout.gif)
+Quote Post
Peter Damian

QUOTE(Ottava @ Tue 18th January 2011, 9:02pm) *

I believe you are referring to me either defending Chase (if I am?) or attacking other Arbs.

Neither really, it was a joke. You asked "How do we know that some of these people doing it aren't prominent wikimedians just doing it all for political gain? " I wondered if you were the prominent Wikipedian defending a member of Arbcom for political gain. Just a joke, you understand. No need to reply.

+Quote Post
Cock-up-over-conspiracy

QUOTE(carbuncle @ Tue 18th January 2011, 3:30pm) *
Although when I was researching semen reservists on Google, I accidentally came across this cached page of a LinkedIn profile of someone with the same name.

Semen Reservist, I like that. Is that some kind of Taoist sex practise? Yeah, I had this guy arrogantly and erroneously twat all over me but he sure wasn't holding back on the juices.

This has all the making of a good cartoon, I would say. Keep it up Richard (... all night if you can). Hmmn, arbcom member falsifying status and then erasing evidence, girlfriend keeping him to play 8 hours a day on the Wikipedia? I would have thought there were more worthy causes to do ... like cooking, washing & housework. On what grounds does he establish his superiority to make judgements on others?

It is funny how these types, when busted, start whimpering on about "security risks" and "fear of attacks" to distract from their own malfeasance. It is like a pantomime get out, "no, no, it's not me, I'm not the bad guy, it's them ... look over there ... (exeunt stage left quickly)" Does his CO follow the Wikipedia too? Does a man in uniform constitute a security risk?

And looking at the Webcite, pray tell me what level of Wikipedia is an "+editocunt" (Revision as of 01:09, 27 August 2008)? Over to you Dr Freud.

Oh, look, he is an expert in Orthomolecular Medicine too.

03:02, 13 December 2010 Chase me ladies, I'm the Cavalry (talk | contribs) deleted "Orthomolecular Medicine for India" ‎ (Promotes medically problematic views, written by someone with a flawed understanding of medicine)

QUOTE(Dr Vaman @ Tue 18th January 2011, 3:30pm) *
Dear Sir I am new to wiki and did not know how to add a comment. So I am adding my note here. I noticed that you have deleted my page - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthomolecula...icine_for_India I am a qualified MD with a Post Graduation in Acupuncture from Harvard. I have given authentic, research based references along with links in my article.

I wonder if Dr Vaman knows he is being judged by an unemployed geek, living off his girlfriend, faking his credentials and then hiding it?

Funnily enough, Dr Vaman has not deleted his Linkedin page
Dr. Vaman MD (Acu) PGCA ( Harvard ) MSfN

CEO of INSOM - Indian Society for Orthomolecular Medicine
Member of Harvard Medical School Postgraduate Association - JNV 9914
Emeritus Member of the Society for Neuroscience
Fellow of American Society for Laser Medicine and Surgery
Member of American Holistic Medicine Association
Member of International Society for Orthomolecular Medicine

Nah, fuck him. Does anyone have a high resolution photo of him with next to that decrepit phallic object?

This post has been edited by Cock-up-over-conspiracy:
+Quote Post
Ottava

Ãœber Pokemon

QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Tue 18th January 2011, 5:15pm) *

I believe you are referring to me either defending Chase (if I am?) or attacking other Arbs.

Neither really, it was a joke. You asked "How do we know that some of these people doing it aren't prominent wikimedians just doing it all for political gain? " I wondered if you were the prominent Wikipedian defending a member of Arbcom for political gain. Just a joke, you understand. No need to reply.

I see. But I think the rest of my statement covered the possibility (not the "joke" part).

If I wanted to suck up to Arbs, I would have 1. made statements before they practically denied my ban appeal, 2. wouldn't have gone after John Vandenberg over the Poetlister mess, 3. probably wouldn't edit anywhere.

I still think you have a better chance of passing an appeal. Have you tried one lately? I'm sure you will be unbanned by a good 3-4 years before me.

QUOTE(Cock-up-over-conspiracy @ Tue 18th January 2011, 5:23pm) *

Harvard teaches acupuncture? o.O You can get a doctorate in it? o.O

This post has been edited by Ottava:
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

This has all the making of a good cartoon, I would say.

A zany sailor and his neurotic girlfriend? Yes, real cartoon material:

I wonder if Dr Vaman knows he is being judged by an unemployed geek, living off his girlfriend, faking his credentials and then hiding it?

You are very funny! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif)
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

QUOTE(Ottava @ Tue 18th January 2011, 4:00pm) *

QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Tue 18th January 2011, 5:15pm) *

I see. But I think the rest of my statement covered the possibility (not the "joke" part).

If I wanted to suck up to Arbs, I would have 1. made statements before they practically denied my ban appeal, 2. wouldn't have gone after John Vandenberg over the Poetlister mess, 3. probably wouldn't edit anywhere.

I still think you have a better chance of passing an appeal. Have you tried one lately? I'm sure you will be unbanned by a good 3-4 years before me.

Harvard teaches acupuncture? o.O You can get a doctorate in it? o.O

No. Harvard Medical School, ever ready to take anybody's money for anything, apparently teaches a continuing medical education course in acupuncture, aimed at physicians (people who have graduated medical school and internship), as a 9 month part-time postgraduate course (Oct. 2009-June 2010). They may not be too careful about who they let in, or else they didn't check the credentials of this J.N. Vaman dude, who doesn't really have any credentials as a physician that anybody in the West would recognize.

His "MD in acupuncture" is claimed by him as result of 1) an 11 month hospital residency (Sir Anton Jayasuriya Charitable Hospital No. 08) in Sri Lanka, May 2009-April 2010 and has nothing to do with Harvard. Nor anything to do with M.D. degrees in other parts of the world. Apparently the internship and residency are done all at once, in less than a year. A great timesaver for doctors on the go, and I suppose very possible, as there aren't too many middle of the night emergencies in acupuncture (so forget your romantic doctor visions of rushing down the hall with a breathless nurse to do acupuncture CPR).

In another CV, Vaman says that 2) his MD degree is actually from Medicina Alternativa University, Sri Lanka (Acupuncture, 2004 — 2010). http://in.linkedin.com/in/drvaman

Strangely, the Medicina Alternativa U. got left out of the other CV, in which (if you don't read carefully) it looks like the man attended medical school at Harvard medical school, and got his MD from there. The post grad program there, is put in where the "medical school" bit should go (before internship and residency), and the actual MD-conferring school is left out entirely. Cute. Apparently it is this school:

http://www.aihm.wa.edu.au/research-9.htm

A bunch of holistic types get together in Colombo, Sri Lanka, and call each other "doctor." After some period of time, they start to believe it. Then, they give each other M.D. degrees in acupuncture (shades of the Wizard of Oz) and off they go around the world.

Vaman, who practices in India, has chutzpah. If one is to believe Vaman's C.V., 6 months after starting his Sri Lankan hospital internship/residency in acupuncture, Vaman managed to be accepted in Oct. 2009 into the Harvard "postgraduate course" aimed at real M.D.s. Wups. He wasn't even through with his internship/residency in Sri Lanka, yet (again it appears not a very demanding one, timewise). In fact, his C.V. makes it clear that from Oct. 2009 to April 2010, he was enrolled BOTH in this Sri Lankan acupuncture hospital internship/residency AND the Harvard postgrad program (in Boston) that was supposed to be for people who already have M.D.s. One supposes he flew back and forth.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/38425999/DrVamananMD-CV

Go get him, Chase Me. Vaman hasn't written an explanatory letter to WR, and therefore he's fair game.

(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif)
+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

Message to Mr. Symonds:

Nice work. You've just earned my vote for Tag-Team in the DICK of Distinction Awards for 2010.

Need a job? Ask David Gerard if he needs help running gay porn sites.
The two of you, being pathological liars, will obviously get on well.
+Quote Post
CharlotteWebb

Postmaster General

Military related issues have little to do with maintaining an encyclopedia and upholding encyclopedic standards.

Yes but theology and canon law have even less, especially for a so-called educational charity. Also the mil-hist stuff is slightly easier to stomach content-wise.

Are we to draw that he cannot be trusted because he puffed up his background in his youth? If so, then 99% of Wikimedians can't be trusted.

As opposed to roughly 98.6% prior to your above statement? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/sleep.gif)
QUOTE(Cock-up-over-conspiracy @ Tue 18th January 2011, 10:23pm) *

Semen Reservist, I like that. Is that some kind of Taoist sex practise? Yeah, I had this guy arrogantly and erroneously twat all over me but he sure wasn't holding back on the juices.

You'll be delighted to know the Catholic church recently approved it for male prostitutes. I guess they owed all those ex-altar-boys a favor.
+Quote Post
Ottava

Ãœber Pokemon

QUOTE(CharlotteWebb @ Tue 18th January 2011, 9:13pm) *

Military related issues have little to do with maintaining an encyclopedia and upholding encyclopedic standards.

Yes but theology and canon law have even less, especially for a so-called educational charity. Also the mil-hist stuff is slightly easier to stomach content-wise.

My point was that I am not seeing any examples of him using his status on MilHistory pages to push a view.

That was what Essjay did on Theology pages. I would like to see examples of that instead of just vague background statements.

As I said, there are other Arbitrators that have damaged the encyclopedia in serious ways. If Chase did that then why is it not filling this thread? Why talk about whatever semantic gray area military boring UK stuff that exists and not about active page destruction by other Arbs? Seems like a red herring.

I care about plagiarism. That is just me, I guess. The above pursuits are boring.
+Quote Post
Heat

Tenured

I haven't gone through Chase's edits to see if he's edited on military matters or had any related disputes, even if he hasn't, claiming to be a Royal Navy officer would have given him undeserved prestige and respect from editors who care about status and the like and undoubtedly would have helped him win votes when he was running for ArbComm since, as I said earlier, since a good percentage of editors would think being an officer means the candidate has demonstrated a degree of responsibility and good judgment in real life.
+Quote Post
Ottava

Ãœber Pokemon

QUOTE(Heat @ Tue 18th January 2011, 11:56pm) *

since a good percentage of editors would think being an officer means the candidate has demonstrated a degree of responsibility and good judgment in real life.

Then there are those like Malleus and myself that thinks that adminship in general means that you are rely on politics and go after decent people instead of bothering to do any work on the encyclopedia.

Myspacers might think the rank is great, but myspacers are insane in general so who cares.
+Quote Post
Heat

Tenured

WTF? so much for privacy.

+Quote Post
Alison

Skinny Cow!

Member No.: 1,806

QUOTE(Heat @ Tue 18th January 2011, 10:51pm) *

I'm sorry - I'm suppressing that edit and emailing the guy. Please don't spread that around - it's not his personal info
+Quote Post
Giano

QUOTE(Heat @ Wed 19th January 2011, 4:56am) *

I haven't gone through Chase's edits to see if he's edited on military matters or had any related disputes, even if he hasn't, claiming to be a Royal Navy officer would have given him undeserved prestige and respect from editors who care about status and the like and undoubtedly would have helped him win votes when he was running for ArbComm since, as I said earlier, since a good percentage of editors would think being an officer means the candidate has demonstrated a degree of responsibility and good judgment in real life.

I think it's most likely that he said he was an officer because that is what young men do - promote themselves a little to impress and make themselves sound slightly more interesting. I expect it was nothing more than that, and now a a few years later he has grown up and regrets it. If we were all shot for the sins of our youth, there would not be many of us left. I have not seen him pontificating and claiming superiority in an arguement because he was an officer. I think the whole thing was nothing more than a childish vanity buried in his past.

He was clearly thrown into the media circus by the foundation with no guidance at all. London hotels and clubs are full of meeting rooms available for hire, specially designed for interviews, with shelves of leather bound books and classical art to act as backgrounds and provide gravitas. Next time he will turn up on neutral territory with his laptop and a prepared and checked script and stick to it. I would love to have heard the leading questions editied out that interview, not to mention what ended up on the cutting room floor.

It's my view that Wikipedia's PR machine has always been crap. The real villains are those that let him go so naively into the lion's den and failed to advise him on dealing with the media. If editors are going to be authrorised to speak on behalf of the project, the project should ensure they are equipped to do so in all respects. I will even go so far as to say he will be a much wiser and better arbitrator as a result of this debacle. Let him now show he's grown up and is wiser.

Anyway he seems bright enough and alert, he'll soon find a job and won't have time for all this 8 hours a day silliness.

Giacomo

This post has been edited by Giano:
+Quote Post
Doc glasgow

Wikipedia:The Sump of All Human Knowledge

Member No.: 90

Giano is correct - all this has a perfectly natural and human explanation, and the horrid bullshit on this thread does nothing but show the meanness and lack of perspective of those posting it.

Since when did pretending on the internet make you a "pathological liar"? Do those using the term even know what "pathological" means? It would appear not.

In any case, putting disinformation on one's userpage is nothing new.

There is a clear difference here from the Essjay fiasco, because Essjay actually repeatedly used the fake credentials to his advantage.

But even then, what was Essjay about? A young man went role-playing on the internet. He then grew up and decided he wanted a job. Got offered the job (on the basis of his real CV and assessed abilities), and then found the childish roleplaying game bit him hard on the arse. A salutary lesson to all - but hardly evil incarnate.

See my analysis of Essjay here...

This post has been edited by Doc glasgow:
+Quote Post
thekohser

Chase Me told me that the reason he provided a different rank and branch to the public was to throw off those who might pose a security threat to the British military. He didn't say it was to puff up his credentials.

Signed,

Colonel Kohs
+Quote Post
Doc glasgow

QUOTE(thekohser @ Wed 19th January 2011, 11:31am) *

Chase Me told me that the reason he provided a different rank and branch to the public was to throw off those who might pose a security threat to the British military. He didn't say it was to puff up his credentials.

Signed,

Colonel Kohs

That tactic may or may not be justified. The point is that there was solid evidence that Essjay flaunted his bogus credentials to gain advantage - there is no evidence that The Cavalry did any such thing.

Yours,

Admiral of the Fleet, Rt Honourable and Most Excellent, Dr Sir Scott MacDonald, 1st Earl MacDonald of Glasgow, KG, GCB, OM, GCSI, GCIE, GCVO, DSO, PC, FRS (Wikipedia Administrator)

+Quote Post
lilburne

Chameleon

QUOTE(Doc glasgow @ Wed 19th January 2011, 12:44pm) *

Signed,

Colonel Kohs

That tactic may or may not be justified. The point is that there was solid evidence that Essjay flaunted his bogus credentials to gain advantage - there is no evidence that The Cavalry did any such thing.

Yours,

Admiral of the Fleet, Rt Honourable and Most Excellent, Dr Sir Scott MacDonald, 1st Earl MacDonald of Glasgow, KG, GCB, OM, GCSI, GCIE, GCVO, DSO, PC, FRS (Wikipedia Administrator)

Agree.

Servalan
+Quote Post
taiwopanfob

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(Doc glasgow @ Wed 19th January 2011, 12:44pm) *

Signed,

Colonel Kohs

Yours,

God save the Queen

Mr. Macdonald, do not be naive. Heat has this dead on right. At an ArbCom election, would you vote for (say) an unemployed janitor or a military officer showing the colors?

He also had a choice to remain completely wiki-silent on his real-world situation. Honestly, puffing yourself up or down to protect yourself is spectacularly stupid. Silence would have achieved the erstwhile security goal far, far, better. Furthermore, and as discussed before in other cases, people who have security issues (be it their own, or others) to deal with should not be editing Wikipedia at all.

CML should be shit-canned for this, if only for this display of extraordinarily poor judgment -- an amazing outlier even by the norms of ArbCom! His continued activity at other aspects of the project, despite sitting on ArbCom, goes further to his lack of judgment.
+Quote Post
carbuncle

Fat Cat

Signed,

Colonel Kohs

I was waiting for some variation of the "because of the stalkers/for my personal safety" justification to be trotted out. The particular variant makes no sense to me. For starters, "security threat to the British military"? What does that even imply? Is someone targeting military editors on WP? Wouldn't it make more sense to identify yourself as having nothing to do with the military, then?

Let's assume there is something to his justification, even f I can't imagine what that would be. The sensible thing to do would then be to leave it as is when called out on WR, since it would continue to provide the same magic protection on WP so long as those unnamed people threatening the "British military" in unknown ways did not also read this thread on WR.

Some people here either knew or have long suspected that Chase Me was a poser. Chase Me's reaction to this recent discussion was to change his userpage and delete the revisions which showed his fabrication. When this action was exposed here, they switched tactics and communicated with theKohser. Their message to theKohser contains more prevarications.

If this is someone who has made a "youthful misjudgment", they do not seem to have matured very much. I don't wish to attack Chase Me unnecessarily, but I see two separate yet intertwined issues here. Claiming ranks not earned is something that military personnel take very seriously, and someone who is in the naval reserves is certainly aware of that. As this relates to WP, ArbCom is the closest thing WP has to an official body - it shouldn't be this difficult to find a handful of people out of the thousands of editors who aren't tainted by such things. Is the entire WP population made up of people with such ethical shortcomings? Is it really such an intrusion to check that this small body has at least not claimed credentials which they do not possess?

Frankly, I do feel sorry for Chase Me. He is likely regretting what seemed like a very exciting opportunity in the form of that interview, and seems ill-equipped to deal with this fallout. At this point, I wold hope that, at the very least, he comes clean with the WP community. I believe he should resign from ArbCom immediately. Giving up his admin rights and going through another RfA would give him a chance to judge how the WP community feel about this. I don't know what the outcome would be, but it wold be a chance to clear the air.
+Quote Post
Doc glasgow

QUOTE(taiwopanfob @ Wed 19th January 2011, 1:07pm) *

Mr. Macdonald, do not be naive. Heat has this dead on right. At an ArbCom election, would you vote for (say) an unemployed janitor or a military officer showing the colors?

He also had a choice to remain completely wiki-silent on his real-world situation. Honestly, puffing yourself up or down to protect yourself is spectacularly stupid. Silence would have achieved the erstwhile security goal far, far, better. Furthermore, and as discussed before in other cases, people who have security issues (be it their own, or others) to deal with should not be editing Wikipedia at all.

CML should be shit-canned for this, if only for this display of extraordinarily poor judgment -- an amazing outlier even by the norms of ArbCom! His continued activity at other aspects of the project, despite sitting on ArbCom, goes further to his lack of judgment.

Me, I'd probably plumb for the unemployed janitor - he's probably better read and has certainly got more time to devote to it. But honestly, I'm not stupid enough to consider unverified off-wiki credentials when choosing candidates.

As for stupid, that's wasn't a crime, nor a breach of some Wikistatute last time I looked.

Yours

The Grand Mufti, Wikiproject Squarepants
+Quote Post
Kelly Martin

QUOTE(carbuncle @ Wed 19th January 2011, 7:21am) *
Chase Me's reaction to this recent discussion was to change his userpage and delete the revisions which showed his fabrication. When this action was exposed here, they switched tactics and communicated with theKohser. Their message to theKohser contains more prevarications.
Seems that he's learned well from the Master. Arbcommies always do take after the Holy Jimbo. Must be especially hard for Ira, who is subject to a code of ethics that precludes such things.
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

QUOTE(thekohser @ Wed 19th January 2011, 6:31am) *

Signed,

Colonel Kohs

He could have just as easily said nothing. Instead, he openly and repeatedly lied that he was naval officer.

And unless I'm mistaken, wasn't he pointedly asked (by Iridescent, I think) about his on-duty military status during the Arbcom election -- about whether or not he would have the time to handle Arbcom duties. At the time, no one knew that he had tons of time to play games on Wikipedia.
+Quote Post
Ottava

Ãœber Pokemon

QUOTE(Doc glasgow @ Wed 19th January 2011, 7:44am) *

The point is that there was solid evidence that Essjay flaunted his bogus credentials to gain advantage - there is no evidence that The Cavalry did any such thing.

I asked repeatedly for any proof of content disputes where it mattered and no one has provided any yet. Either it doesn't exist or I am being ignored. I expected content related mattes in this thread instead of just personal life bashing, but I see none.

Even Coren's real life porn connection matters because of a pornopermissive culture that exists, but I see no real point except to out someone and then ridicule. So many people mock him for not having a job but we don't know their real life info - I see that as hypocritical.

There are plenty of Arbitrators that have plagiarized and committed other abuses. Why not spend this amount of effort digging through that? After all, Rlevse was knocked out that way, and there is more problematic material on some of them than there was on Rlevse.
+Quote Post
carbuncle

Fat Cat

Picture uploaded 25 June 2010 by Chase Me:

Added to Royal Navy uniform 11 January 2011 by Chase Me

Chase Me/Richard Symonds, 19 January 2011: I don't like putting pictures of me in a uniform online because my job in the reserves obviously leaves me open to real-life attacks, not to mention stern words from my CO about 'security' and so on and so forth.

+Quote Post
Zoloft

May we all find solace in our dreams.

Member No.: 16,621

My tuppence (just to be Brit-friendly) is to agree with Ottava and Doc glasgow that his exaggeration is No Big Deal, and that we're raking CMLITC over the coals too enthusiastically.

I don't care so very much about Arbs anymore - didn't even vote in the election. I don't take admins or arbs seriously any more. I stopped participating in RfAs. I've become a wiki-slacker.
+Quote Post
Doc glasgow

It is all utter nonsense.

The "officer claim" was not made before his RFA, so didn't influence that. He removed it two years prior to the arbitration election - so hardly used to bolster him there. Besides he clearly uploaded images of himself in a ratings uniform - so not a big attempt to deceive.

So, what have you got?

Only carbuncle finding a remark that he had concerns about uploading an image, and then SIX MONTHS later he changed his mind.

This is just the worst of Wikipedia Review's conspiracy nuttery. Wikipedia has many evils - many problems - many areas needing explored and exposed - this just isn't one of them.

(But then by posting this "defence", I'm obviously just a biased cultist. So, ignore me and just carry on).
+Quote Post
Heat

Tenured

Signed,

Colonel Kohs

Did he explain how posing as an officer could possibly do that?

I can see people, for privacy reasons, not disclosing what they do for a living or putting up misinformation to protect yourself eg you don't want your online activities to get you in trouble at work or for trolls to start calling your boss so you say you're self-employed or a taxi driver instead of a school principal but to embellish your position in order to make yourself look more important than you are is something else entirely..

Is this evil? No. Walter Mitty-esque is more like it, but if your embellishment serves to give you more credibility in, say, an arbcom election then it's wrong and you should either disclose it before the vote or be disqualified.

As for his removing the false claim two years ago, I thought he only did that a few days ago? Even so, many people at WP (and here) were under the impression that he was an officer due to his earlier claim and he did nothing to dissuade people of that until Auntie Beeb knocked on his door.

+Quote Post
victim of censorship

Not all thugs are Wikipediots, but all Wikipediots are thugs.

Member No.: 9,640

QUOTE(Alison @ Wed 19th January 2011, 1:03am) *

QUOTE(Heat @ Tue 18th January 2011, 10:51pm) *

I'm sorry - I'm suppressing that edit and emailing the guy. Please don't spread that around - it's not his personal info

So many nutjobs, so little sanity on wiki. Proof positive why Wikipedia is a cesspool.

+Quote Post
victim of censorship

Not all thugs are Wikipediots, but all Wikipediots are thugs.

Member No.: 9,640

QUOTE(carbuncle @ Wed 19th January 2011, 9:55am) *

Added to Royal Navy uniform 11 January 2011 by Chase Me

Chase Me/Richard Symonds, 19 January 2011: I don't like putting pictures of me in a uniform online because my job in the reserves obviously leaves me open to real-life attacks, not to mention stern words from my CO about 'security' and so on and so forth.

This is symonds night job (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
carbuncle

Fat Cat

QUOTE(Doc glasgow @ Wed 19th January 2011, 4:21pm) *

The "officer claim" was not made before his RFA, so didn't influence that. He removed it two years prior to the arbitration election - so hardly used to bolster him there. Besides he clearly uploaded images of himself in a ratings uniform - so not a big attempt to deceive.

So, what have you got?

Only carbuncle finding a remark that he had concerns about uploading an image, and then SIX MONTHS later he changed his mind.

This is just the worst of Wikipedia Review's conspiracy nuttery. Wikipedia has many evils - many problems - many areas needing explored and exposed - this just isn't one of them.

(But then by posting this "defence", I'm obviously just a biased cultist. So, ignore me and just carry on).

Doc, you might want to check your dates. The picture was uploaded 6 months ago, but Chase Me added it to an article eight days before wrote that message to theKohser.

So he is concerned about images of himself in unform because of the dangers of "real-life attacks" but he puts a picture of himself in full uniform on the fifth most popular website in the world. Also, there is a picture of him in uniform, on his userpage, which is likely the first place anyone trying to track him down would look. It just doesn't add up, which makes me question his credibility and therefore look at his actions with a jaundiced eye. (No offence intended to anyone with actual jaundice.)

Since Chase Me deleted previous versions of his userpage, I don't know how long the Royal Navy lieutenant version was up, or if it was there before his RfA.
+Quote Post
Giano

QUOTE(carbuncle @ Wed 19th January 2011, 6:13pm) *

QUOTE(Doc glasgow @ Wed 19th January 2011, 4:21pm) *

So, what have you got?

Doc, you might want to check your dates. The picture was uploaded 6 months ago, but Chase Me added it to an article eight days before wrote that message to theKohser.

So he is concerned about images of himself in unform because of the dangers of "real-life attacks" but he puts a picture of himself in full uniform on the fifth most popular website in the world. Also, there is a picture of him in uniform, on his userpage, which is likely the first place anyone trying to track him down would look. It just doesn't add up, which makes me question his credibility and therefore look at his actions with a jaundiced eye. (No offence intended to anyone with actual jaundice.)

Since Chase Me deleted previous versions of his userpage, I don't know how long the Royal Navy lieutenant version was up, or if it was there before his RfA.

In order to be open and honest, he has since restored the page's history fully. It's my view that he's been a silly prat, but I do think he's been a harmless prat and he will have learned from this. Compared to some of the villains editing Wikipedia, this is a non-story. He's not the only twit on the Arbcom and he's young enough to benefit from the experience. He's had his knuckles well and truly rapped I don't see the point of going for his blood over a foolish action that's actually only harmed him.

Giacomo

This post has been edited by Giano:
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

And while we are speaking of the Sailor Who Fell From Grace With the Sea -- is this his blog? http://chasemeladies.blogspot.com/
+Quote Post
Doc glasgow

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Wed 19th January 2011, 6:32pm) *

And while we are speaking of the Sailor Who Fell From Grace With the Sea -- is this his blog? http://chasemeladies.blogspot.com/

Obviously, not.
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Wed 19th January 2011, 1:32pm) *

The top post that came up for me:

SHORT THIS STOCK!
Shares in H&H Imports, which sells handbags, rose 122% percent on Friday, then another 290% on Monday, after 50 Cent tipped the stock on Twitter.

Opportunities as good as this don't come along very often. The share has fallen by more than a third since then, but it's obviously going to fall a lot further.

I don't know if this is just the case with E*trade and TD Ameritrade (both of which I use for stock trading), but you can't short a stock that priced so low.

The "blog" almost looks computer-generated. I doubt it's Admiral Chase's.
+Quote Post
carbuncle

Fat Cat

QUOTE(Giano @ Wed 19th January 2011, 6:30pm) *

QUOTE(carbuncle @ Wed 19th January 2011, 6:13pm) *

In order to be open and honest, he has since restored the page's history fully. It's my view that he's been a silly prat, but I do think he's been a harmless prat and he will have learned from this. Compared to some of the villains editing Wikipedia, this is a non-story. He's not the only twit on the Arbcom and he's young enough to benefit from the experience. He's had his knuckles well and truly rapped I don't see the point of going for his blood over a foolish action that's actually only harmed him.

Giacomo

"Had his knuckles well and truly rapped"? "Only harmed him"? So there's been a couple of threads on WR about this, but I have yet to see any evidence that Chase Me has learned anything except that he's not good at fooling people. Has this been discussed on WP at all? Has Chase Me corrected the mistaken impression that he fostered? All I have seen from Chase Me are some self-serving excuses and half-truths.

I see restoring the history of his userpage as a step in the right direction, but I am waiting for the follow-through. It may not be much of an issue on WP, but Chase Me understands -- or really should understand -- how seriously the Royal Navy take things like pretending to be an officer when one isn't. From Chase Me's RfA:
It's my personal opinion, and I am aware other females may feel in a different way, but as a female editor, I take his or her user name annoying. I feel sexually harassed, honestly. Unless he or she changes it, I strongly oppose his or her promotion. --Aphaia 12:23, 12 November 2007 (UTC)

I'm sorry you feel that way - the name certainly isn't meant to be sexually harassing in any way, and it's concerned me that it may have come across like that. It's meant as a light-hearted play on the idea of a 'dashing cavalry officer' - as I'm an officer myself, I find the stereotype of a 'dashing cavalry officer' to be rather amusing and (sadly) completely untrue, as women certainly don't swoon at the sight of me! If it would make you feel less threatened, I'll happily change it to 'Chase me, I'm the Cavalry', if you think that'd be better. I'll wait until after this RFA is over to complete the Changing Username process, in order to keep everything neat and tidy. Chase me ladies, I'm the Cavalry 14:02, 12 November 2007 (UTC)

I'm not out for blood, but I would like to see Chase Me take some responsibility and own up to his actions.
+Quote Post
Doc glasgow

QUOTE(carbuncle @ Wed 19th January 2011, 7:19pm) *

I see restoring the history of his userpage as a step in the right direction, but I am waiting for the follow-through. It may not be much of an issue on WP, but Chase Me understands -- or really should understand -- how seriously the Royal Navy take things like pretending to be an officer when one isn't.

Get a grip. You really think Her Majesty's Navy give a shit if a reservist goes on a social working website and calls himself an "officer"?

Carbuncle, you are beginning to look like a ridiculous troll. Having failed to spin a wikipedia crisis out of your obsession with this, you are now trying to turn this into "some serious business" for the individual you are pursuing.

Newsflash: There is no follow-through.

This thread will die when people realised that they are (pardon the pun) flogging a dead horse, and that, as they say, will be that.

Now, to use the proverbial put-down, haven't you got something more important to do?
+Quote Post
radek

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(Doc glasgow @ Wed 19th January 2011, 1:11pm) *

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Wed 19th January 2011, 6:32pm) *

Obviously, not.

When I first heard of him, and his nick I wondered if there might be a connection and was ready to sock puppet or do whatever it took to get him on ArbCom cuz that's one funny blog, that I used to read a lot more like 6 years ago (don't know if it's still funny). But alas, it ain't him. It's a common pun I believe.
+Quote Post
Heat

Tenured

I don't think Chase has done anything ro merit deadminning but I think if this had come out during the election he would have lost. The other thing is he acts generally in a pompous, arrogant way which some may have been willing to tolerate from an "officer" but not from some kid. I just think he's too immature to be on Arbcomm and that his displays of very bad jufgment underscore that.
+Quote Post
Kelly Martin

QUOTE(Heat @ Wed 19th January 2011, 3:48pm) *
I just think he's too immature to be on Arbcomm
How is that possible? It's fairly obvious that maturity is neither expected of, nor particularly desirable in, an arbcommer.
+Quote Post
SB_Johnny

QUOTE(Ottava @ Wed 19th January 2011, 9:55am) *

I expected content related mattes in this thread instead of just personal life bashing, but I see none.

Welcome to WR. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/rolleyes.gif)

The whole deleting revisions of his userpage seems to me just a panic reaction. Apparently he didn't get the memo about not letting the bastards carbonate his rum?

I wonder if the BBC has seen this thread. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
Heat

Tenured

The guy is a self-important berk. He used to inflate his ego by pretending to be an officer, now he does it by boasting about being on ArbComm, all "top end" and hush-hush don't ya know. Only goes to show you that the last people who should be on ArbComm are those who want to be on it.

+Quote Post
SB_Johnny

QUOTE(Heat @ Wed 19th January 2011, 5:36pm) *

The guy is a self-important berk. He used to inflate his ego by pretending to be an officer, now he does it by boasting about being on ArbComm, all "top end" and hush-hush don't ya know.

And as a bonus, ArbCom has much sexier uniforms. Look out ladies!
QUOTE(Heat @ Wed 19th January 2011, 5:36pm) *

Only goes to show you that the last people who should be on ArbComm are those who want to be on it.

Yeah, arbcommies shouldn't be in control of nuclear submarines.

Oh, wait... (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/fear.gif)
+Quote Post
carbuncle

Fat Cat

QUOTE(Doc glasgow @ Wed 19th January 2011, 8:18pm) *

I see restoring the history of his userpage as a step in the right direction, but I am waiting for the follow-through. It may not be much of an issue on WP, but Chase Me understands -- or really should understand -- how seriously the Royal Navy take things like pretending to be an officer when one isn't.

Get a grip. You really think Her Majesty's Navy give a shit if a reservist goes on a social working website and calls himself an "officer"?

Actually, yes, that is exactly what I think.

Carbuncle, you are beginning to look like a ridiculous troll. Having failed to spin a wikipedia crisis out of your obsession with this, you are now trying to turn this into "some serious business" for the individual you are pursuing.

Newsflash: There is no follow-through.

This thread will die when people realised that they are (pardon the pun) flogging a dead horse, and that, as they say, will be that.

Now, to use the proverbial put-down, haven't you got something more important to do?

Doc, you and I disagree on the off-wiki seriousness of this, but that is outside of this discussion and only matters to Chase Me, anyway. I think you have enough experience with to know that I'm not a troll. If you think I'm trying to spin this into a WP crisis, why haven't I posted anything on WP? (I might, actually, since Chase Me is open to recall, but I will wait to see what actions he takes on his own.) I have no "obsession with this - my efforts have been to replace the speculation, prevaricating, and misconceptions with facts.

Chase Me's charade is hardly a capital crime, but it, his attempted cover-up, and his further half-truths in that message to theKohser all show a terrible lack of judgment. Is this really someone who should be one of the handful of admins who rule on the ethical failings of others? I really do not understand why you are so willing to accept the sorry state of ArbCom. Is it asking so much to expect that Chase Me owns up to his actions and asks the community if they were influenced by his assertion that he was an officer in the Royal Navy?
+Quote Post
Doc glasgow

I think there should be much more important criteria for choosing or removing arbs than, did you once put some exaggerations on your userpage, and then think better of it?

Seriously, you've got nothing and none but the small-minder should care.

+Quote Post
RMHED

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(Doc glasgow @ Thu 20th January 2011, 12:03am) *

I think there should be much more important criteria for choosing or removing arbs than, did you once put some exaggerations on your userpage, and then think better of it?

I agree. I think Mr. Symonds has been naive, but that is hardly a serious matter.
+Quote Post
dogbiscuit

Could you run through Verifiability not Truth once more?

Member No.: 4,015

I think the main point is that this shows that Chase Me, like many others, quite simply is not coping very well in the real world and is using success on Wikipedia as a substitute.

If he spent a few days away from Wikipedia he could paint up his flat and make it more comfortable - no more sneaky face-palm panning from the BBC cameras after that.

Officer? One of my daughters passed the officer's entrance exam for the Navy at 18, having been in the Sea Scouts for a few years, but decided to go to university first. It's not an exclusive club of the gentry, it just requires common sense.

It seems Mr Chase Me has some esteem issues which, as with so many admin types, Wikipedia seems to fulfil in a virtual world. However, the trouble with resolving your esteem issues in Wikipedia is that in the real world, you can't cash in (and I think we established before that a surprising number of Wikipedia editors don't admit to their involvement, and certainly not to the amount of time - why is that?).

So Chase Me has climbed the greasy pole to ArbCom. He has felt the need to enhance his image on Wikipedia - presumably embarrassed about his lack of success in the real world. When found out, he is embarrassed enough to want to cover up - and in true FT2 style has not only removed information but sought to hide that he removed it - nice to know that ArbCom continues to be populated by people who don't like the rules to apply to themselves.

I'd suggest to Chase Me that he looks at what he has really got out of Wikipedia - a bad back, stress, and a wasted life. If he put that amount of effort in in the real world he could have been doing something useful. If you start of stacking shelves at Tesco, put the amount of effort in that you've put into Wikipedia, you'd easily be senior and getting a sense of getting somewhere in life.
+Quote Post
RMHED

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Thu 20th January 2011, 12:19am) *

It seems Mr Chase Me has some esteem issues which, as with so many admin types, Wikipedia seems to fulfil in a virtual world. However, the trouble with resolving your esteem issues in Wikipedia is that in the real world, you can't cash in (and I think we established before that a surprising number of Wikipedia editors don't admit to their involvement, and certainly not to the amount of time - why is that?).

If he really had esteem issues why would he give an interview to the BBC and admit he was unemployed and spending 8 hours a day working on Jimmy's pension fund'Opedia?
+Quote Post
lilburne

Chameleon

QUOTE(RMHED @ Thu 20th January 2011, 12:28am) *

If he really had esteem issues why would he give an interview to the BBC and admit he was unemployed and spending 8 hours a day working on Jimmy's pension fund'Opedia?

But armchair psychologists need an outlet too.
+Quote Post
RMHED

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(lilburne @ Thu 20th January 2011, 12:40am) *

But armchair psychologists need an outlet too.

I am the Magnificent Masturbator!

Now where's me pouffe.
+Quote Post
carbuncle

Fat Cat

I agree that there are better reasons, but it is ridiculous that the WMF does not even do the most basic vetting of people's claimed qualifications when they put themselves up for election to ArbCom. I don't think this is another Essjay, but it shows that nothing has changed or been learned from that experience.

I haven't changed my opinion, but I'm not going to pursue it. Chase Me has enough to worry about already. I hope his recent media exposure helps him to land a decent job.
+Quote Post
RMHED

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(carbuncle @ Thu 20th January 2011, 1:23am) *

I agree that there are better reasons, but it is ridiculous that the WMF does not even do the most basic vetting of people's claimed qualifications when they put themselves up for election to ArbCom. I don't think this is another Essjay, but it shows that nothing has changed or been learned from that experience.

Yeah right on!

Because 'da Arbcom are so important and powerful unlike the feeble WMF, now who vets those fuckers?
+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Wed 19th January 2011, 1:53pm) *
How is that possible? It's fairly obvious that maturity is neither expected of, nor particularly desirable in, an arbcommer.

Yes. Depressing, but accurate.

As for his claim of being in the Royal Navy as an "officer":
First, read this.
Then: Here's the Arbcom election page. Note:
Finally, I think in addition to being a part of OTRS (which has its own internal mailing queue), let alone the hundreds of emails we answer, being the mailing list administrator for my branch of the Royal Navy, encompassing between 500 and 1,000 people worldwide, gives me a wealth of experience in co-ordinating internal email traffic!
# Stress: How will you be able to cope with the stress of being an arbitrator, potentially including on- and off-wiki threats and abuse, and attempts to embarrass you by the public "outing" of personal information?
A: I've already been outed and dealt with off-wiki threats and abuse through my OTRS and admin work. Both WR and Encyclopeadia Dramatica have discovered my 'real identity', which hasn't led to too many ill effects. I have had people ring up my employer and try to glean information from them (to no avail, I might add). When dealing with 'internet threats', I know that the real winner is the person who keeps his cool - and when dealing with real life threats, I'm in the armed forces, so I've had the training to deal with that rationally and appropriately.

Here's his RFA, Nov 2007.
10. I like your username. You mentioned past accounts. [3] Did you switch for branding, or was there some other reason, or no reason at all? - Jehochman Talk 21:39, 11 November 2007 (UTC)
A: Thankyou! To everyone who has commented on it - good and bad! My old username is my hotmail address, plus my username on practically everything else - myspace and the like. I didn't want the two worlds to collide, for privacy reasons and reasons of possible vandalism! There was no specific reason for the new one, but I felt a new name was required. —Preceding unsigned comment added by Chase me ladies, I'm the Cavalry (talk • contribs) 23:09, 11 November 2007 (UTC)

Lots of admins talk like that.
But very damn few of them purposely lead people to think they are military officers:
# Strong Support and don't listen to the people complaining about your name, as I rather like it. Incidentally, as a member of the Officers Training Corps myself, I have the highest respect and appreciation for the British Armed Forces and everything you're doing to keep this great country safe. Plus, you're a well-regarded editor who will make a good admin, as per everyone's comments above. WaltonOne 17:00, 10 November 2007 (UTC)
Nobody's complaining (hence the smileys). I think the candidate knows me well enough to know that, too (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/wink.gif) Hence this comment last August - Alison ❤ 19:26, 10 November 2007 (UTC)

Oppose It's my personal opinion, and I am aware other females may feel in a different way, but as a female editor, I take his or her user name annoying. I feel sexually harassed, honestly. Unless he or she changes it, I strongly oppose his or her promotion. --Aphaia 12:23, 12 November 2007 (UTC)
I'm sorry you feel that way - the name certainly isn't meant to be sexually harassing in any way, and it's concerned me that it may have come across like that. It's meant as a light-hearted play on the idea of a 'dashing cavalry officer' - as I'm an officer myself, I find the stereotype of a 'dashing cavalry officer' to be rather amusing and (sadly) completely untrue, as women certainly don't swoon at the sight of me! If it would make you feel less threatened, I'll happily change it to 'Chase me, I'm the Cavalry', if you think that'd be better. I'll wait until after this RFA is over to complete the Changing Username process, in order to keep everything neat and tidy. Chase me ladies, I'm the Cavalry 14:02, 12 November 2007 (UTC)

Did anyone examine the Feb 2010 SPA in which he was accused of socking with the Panyd account?
Chase Me claims to be in the British Royal Navy; Panyd claims to be a college student in America. A checkuser should quickly make it very, very clear whether or not they are one and the same person. Keepscases (talk) 23:28, 2 February 2010 (UTC)

More of that in Panyd's RFA.
I don't know, but I've seen plenty of behavior on Wikipedia that I can't explain. Their story just doesn't seem to stay straight. Chase Me first said he mentored her "by phone and email", but then a more recent comment seemed to suggest that they were traveling the world together or something. If she's at Sarah Lawrence, and he's in the Royal Navy, there should be plenty of days during which they were editing thousands of miles away from each other. If that's shown to be the case, I'd be satisfied. Keepscases (talk) 23:04, 15 January 2010 (UTC)

Also note, as of March 2006, he claimed to have edited under other account names for "well over a year".

You be the judges.

+Quote Post
RMHED

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Thu 20th January 2011, 2:22am) *

QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Wed 19th January 2011, 1:53pm) *

Yes. Depressing, but accurate.

First, read this.
Then: Here's the Arbcom election page. Note:
Finally, I think in addition to being a part of OTRS (which has its own internal mailing queue), let alone the hundreds of emails we answer, being the mailing list administrator for my branch of the Royal Navy, encompassing between 500 and 1,000 people worldwide, gives me a wealth of experience in co-ordinating internal email traffic!
# Stress: How will you be able to cope with the stress of being an arbitrator, potentially including on- and off-wiki threats and abuse, and attempts to embarrass you by the public "outing" of personal information?
A: I've already been outed and dealt with off-wiki threats and abuse through my OTRS and admin work. Both WR and Encyclopeadia Dramatica have discovered my 'real identity', which hasn't led to too many ill effects. I have had people ring up my employer and try to glean information from them (to no avail, I might add). When dealing with 'internet threats', I know that the real winner is the person who keeps his cool - and when dealing with real life threats, I'm in the armed forces, so I've had the training to deal with that rationally and appropriately.

Here's his RFA, Nov 2007.
10. I like your username. You mentioned past accounts. [3] Did you switch for branding, or was there some other reason, or no reason at all? - Jehochman Talk 21:39, 11 November 2007 (UTC)
A: Thankyou! To everyone who has commented on it - good and bad! My old username is my hotmail address, plus my username on practically everything else - myspace and the like. I didn't want the two worlds to collide, for privacy reasons and reasons of possible vandalism! There was no specific reason for the new one, but I felt a new name was required. —Preceding unsigned comment added by Chase me ladies, I'm the Cavalry (talk • contribs) 23:09, 11 November 2007 (UTC)

Lots of admins talk like that.
But very damn few of them purposely lead people to think they are military officers:
# Strong Support and don't listen to the people complaining about your name, as I rather like it. Incidentally, as a member of the Officers Training Corps myself, I have the highest respect and appreciation for the British Armed Forces and everything you're doing to keep this great country safe. Plus, you're a well-regarded editor who will make a good admin, as per everyone's comments above. WaltonOne 17:00, 10 November 2007 (UTC)
Nobody's complaining (hence the smileys). I think the candidate knows me well enough to know that, too (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/wink.gif) Hence this comment last August - Alison ❤ 19:26, 10 November 2007 (UTC)

Oppose It's my personal opinion, and I am aware other females may feel in a different way, but as a female editor, I take his or her user name annoying. I feel sexually harassed, honestly. Unless he or she changes it, I strongly oppose his or her promotion. --Aphaia 12:23, 12 November 2007 (UTC)

Did anyone examine the Feb 2010 SPA in which he was accused of socking with the Panyd account?
Chase Me claims to be in the British Royal Navy; Panyd claims to be a college student in America. A checkuser should quickly make it very, very clear whether or not they are one and the same person. Keepscases (talk) 23:28, 2 February 2010 (UTC)

More of that in Panyd's RFA.
I don't know, but I've seen plenty of behavior on Wikipedia that I can't explain. Their story just doesn't seem to stay straight. Chase Me first said he mentored her "by phone and email", but then a more recent comment seemed to suggest that they were traveling the world together or something. If she's at Sarah Lawrence, and he's in the Royal Navy, there should be plenty of days during which they were editing thousands of miles away from each other. If that's shown to be the case, I'd be satisfied. Keepscases (talk) 23:04, 15 January 2010 (UTC)

Also note, as of March 2006, he claimed to have edited under other account names for "well over a year".

You be the judges.

You're looking like a stalker Eric.

Who really cares if he lied on his RfA, it's par for the course on Wikipedia.
+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

QUOTE(RMHED @ Wed 19th January 2011, 6:44pm) *

It's all in the record, and I thought it would be smart to list what hasn't been "disappeared" yet.

Yeah, it's "par for the course". Not being a golfer, I'd like to get off the bloody course.
But since nobody is allowed off the Wiki-Driving-Range, one might as well take up a five-iron and defend oneself.

Ask Don Murphy what he thinks of Richard Symonds......

+Quote Post
RMHED

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Thu 20th January 2011, 2:49am) *

QUOTE(RMHED @ Wed 19th January 2011, 6:44pm) *

It's all in the record, and I thought it would be smart to list what hasn't been "disappeared" yet.

Yeah, it's "par for the course". Not being a golfer, I'd like to get off the bloody course.
But since nobody is allowed off the Wiki-Driving-Range, one might as well take up a five-iron and defend oneself.

Ask Don Murphy what he thinks of Richard Symonds......

The admins are just the flies on the 'pedia turd. Swat the flies and the turd still remains.

Mr. Murphy wasted too much time fly swatting, with his money he could've tried to clear away the turd.

Why didn't he? Because ultimately he didn't really care enough to throw serious money at the problem.
+Quote Post
Cock-up-over-conspiracy

Oo-er Missus ... ain't that a big one he has got in in hands!

Do you think he would stick in it me if I provoked him
or does he just reserve that treatment for foreigners?

Someone with bad judgement should be judging others

QUOTE(carbuncle @ Wed 19th January 2011, 3:55pm) *

Added to Royal Navy uniform 11 January 2011 by Chase Me/Richard Symonds, 19 January 2011: I don't like putting pictures of me in a uniform online because my job in the reserves obviously leaves me open to real-life attacks, not to mention stern words from my CO about 'security' and so on and so forth.

I suppose this is the unreal-life attack then?

QUOTE(Cock-up-over-conspiracy @ Tue 18th January 2011, 10:23pm) *
QUOTE(CharlotteWebb @ Wed 19th January 2011, 2:13am) *
You'll be delighted to know the Catholic church recently approved it for male prostitutes. I guess they owed all those ex-altar-boys a favor.

What, is this the Vatican's "Clinton Moment"? It's not buggery if the male prostitute does not come ... well, I suppose not really.

Signed,

Colonel Kohs

Signed,

Khalif bin Khok-up Special Digital Attack Forces of the Afganistani Republican Mujahideen (... OK, it is not my real rank and identity but I have to protect myself from confronting the real life disinterest of others).

This post has been edited by Cock-up-over-conspiracy:
+Quote Post
CharlotteWebb

Postmaster General

QUOTE(Cock-up-over-conspiracy @ Thu 20th January 2011, 7:43am) *

What, is this the Vatican's "Clinton Moment"? It's not buggery if the male prostitute does not come ... well, I suppose not really.

There were some headlines about Pope Ratzo endorsing the use of condoms amongst said demographic in November. Not sure which member gets to wear it. Perhaps ask Ottava to clarify.

This post has been edited by CharlotteWebb:
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(carbuncle @ Wed 19th January 2011, 8:23pm) *

... it is ridiculous that the WMF does not even do the most basic vetting of people's claimed qualifications ...

You're talking about the same WMF that advertises Jimmy Wales as "Wikipedia Founder", and briefly advertised Sue Gardner as "Wikipedia Executive Director" because they thought that would bring in more money? That WMF?
+Quote Post
Cock-up-over-conspiracy

Ah, the Great Tradition of British Armed Forces Reservists.

Added to Royal Navy uniform 11 January 2011 by Chase Me/Richard Symonds, 19 January 2011: I don't like putting pictures of me in a uniform online because my job in the reserves obviously leaves me open to real-life attacks, not to mention stern words from Captain Mannering about 'security' and so on and so forth.
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

Added to Royal Navy uniform 11 January 2011 by Chase Me/Richard Symonds, 19 January 2011: I don't like putting pictures of me in a uniform online because my job in the reserves obviously leaves me open to real-life attacks, not to mention stern words from Captain Mannering about 'security' and so on and so forth.

This is the funniest photo I've seen in ages. It looks like Buster Brown went rummaging through Jared Loughner's closet. And what exactly is he "guarding"?

+Quote Post
dogbiscuit

I thought that having the BBC certify that you really were an important person simply by the Great Corporation deigning to acknowledge you exist was a pretty big ego trip which pretty much switches off the critical faculties - it didn't dawn on him that the media are a perfidious bunch and rather than being interested in his success, his failures were far more photogenic.
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Thu 20th January 2011, 5:59am) *

This is the funniest photo I've seen in ages. It looks like Buster Brown went rummaging through Jared Loughner's closet.

Except for the SA80 with wicked-looking bayonet. That's not a drill weapon; it's the real thing. However, the effect is ruined if the cap really says "HMS Pinafore." I can't quite make it out.
QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Thu 20th January 2011, 5:59am) *

And what exactly is he "guarding"?

In the military (the navy, say) you can be assigned to guard a clothesline full of wet clothes, in the rain, at night, with an empty weapon; fall asleep or even sit down, and you're in the brig. You fail to appreciate the purpose of military ritual.
+Quote Post
Peter Damian

It's the untruthiness that gets me. We start with a pathetic catalogue of petty lies and half-truths, and pathetic attempts to cover up the lies and half-truths.

Far far worse is the culture of accepting lies that permeates Wikipedia from Jimbo and the arbcom downwards, and the defence of lying that Scott McDonald perpetuates here.

That is the real evil. The rest is just banal.

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Thu 20th January 2011, 6:09pm) *

However, the effect is ruined if the cap really says "HMS Pinafore." I can't quite make it out.

HMS Forward. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Forward_(...blishment_1984)

Located in Birmingham, rather like ChaseMe's dashing accent.

+Quote Post
Milton Roe

QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Thu 20th January 2011, 12:36pm) *

However, the effect is ruined if the cap really says "HMS Pinafore." I can't quite make it out.

(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif)

Yes, classwise, it's the Huntsville, Alabama of the U.K. Latitude-snobbery being reversed there by comparison with the U.S.
+Quote Post
Ottava

Ãœber Pokemon

QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Wed 19th January 2011, 9:22pm) *

I'm an American. My first thought when I hear "Royal Navy" is either some 18th century captain (Horatio Hornblower or that guy that the guy from Gladiator played) or a cast member of the HMS Pinafore.

My second is to laugh at the thought of British and military.

My third is to sigh and find a beer.

Maybe the Brits feel differently, but their opinion doesn't matter. ;/

Doesn't he look adorable in his little hat? Haha. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/biggrin.gif)

Charlotte

There some headlines about Pope Ratzo endorsing the use of condoms amongst said demographic in November. Not sure which member gets to wear it. Perhaps ask Ottava to clarify.

From what I see is that the Vatican believes they will be going to hell regardless so they may as well stop spreading AIDS. It is kinda like saying that murderers should commit suicide first.

A Horse

And what exactly is he "guarding"?

The Royal Jewels. Don't you see the hand placement?

This post has been edited by Ottava:
+Quote Post
Lar

"His blandness goes to 11!"

Member No.: 4,290

QUOTE(Ottava @ Thu 20th January 2011, 4:56pm) *

I'm an American. My first thought when I hear "Royal Navy" is either some 18th century captain (Horatio Hornblower or that guy that the guy from Gladiator played) or a cast member of the HMS Pinafore.

My second is to laugh at the thought of British and military.

My third is to sigh and find a beer.

Maybe the Brits feel differently, but their opinion doesn't matter. ;/

Doesn't he look adorable in his little hat? Haha. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/biggrin.gif)

You're kind of an ass.
+Quote Post
carbuncle

Fat Cat

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Thu 20th January 2011, 12:59pm) *
This is the funniest photo I've seen in ages. It looks like Buster Brown went rummaging through Jared Loughner's closet.

I couldn't resist a little bit of image fun for Horsey's amusement.

+Quote Post
RMHED

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(carbuncle @ Thu 20th January 2011, 10:57pm) *

Is that Panyd on the right?
+Quote Post
dogbiscuit

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Thu 20th January 2011, 8:13pm) *

Yes, classwise, it's the Huntsville, Alabama of the U.K. Latitude-snobbery being reversed there by comparison with the U.S.

Readers might miss the irony of being a naval unit in Birmingham, the furthest distance away from the sea you can be in England.
+Quote Post
lilburne

Chameleon

It is also about half a mile from where I work. Also brum does have a beach - so there.
http://www.sundaymercury.net/fun-games-onl...66331-21647814/
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Thu 20th January 2011, 6:03pm) *

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Thu 20th January 2011, 8:13pm) *

Readers might miss the irony of being a naval unit in Birmingham, the furthest distance away from the sea you can be in England.

The article sort of explains this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Forward_(...blishment_1984)

Honest to God, HMS Forward is a stone frigate. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/confused.gif) You learn something new every day. And that explains why I couldn't find the name in Jane's.

Chase Me's ship will never sink. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Thu 20th January 2011, 8:24pm) *

And, what do you know -- the article was created by an involved, COI editor... with the only outside source being a dead 404 link that is still adorning the article, over two years hence!

QUOTE(RMHED @ Thu 20th January 2011, 6:00pm) *

QUOTE(carbuncle @ Thu 20th January 2011, 10:57pm) *

Is that Panyd on the right?

No, I think that's FT2's houndfriend
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

QUOTE(thekohser @ Thu 20th January 2011, 6:41pm) *

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Thu 20th January 2011, 8:24pm) *

And, what do you know -- the article was created by an involved, COI editor... with the only outside source being a dead 404 link that is still adorning the article, over two years hence!

Well, obviously it needs a "lacking citations" tag.

Perhaps a PROD?
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)