FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
The 5th annual "WP:DICK of Distinction" electioneering thread -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The 5th annual "WP:DICK of Distinction" electioneering thread
Herschelkrustofsky

Group: Members
Member No.: 130

Member of the Academy are invited to post appealing blurbs about their favorite candidates between now and February. List their achievements, post 8" x 10" glossy promo pix, etc.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
radek

Ãœber Member

Group: Regulars

QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Fri 14th January 2011, 12:06am) *

Member of the Academy are invited to post appealing blurbs about their favorite candidates between now and February. List their achievements, post 8" x 10" glossy promo pix, etc.

Wait, before we get there, I actually want Cla68 nominated for the Dick award, based on this request against Science Apologists. I know people here like Cla and all that and gots problems with SA but the whole request just encapsulates numerous problems with Wikipedia:
*The whole request is based on some Wikilawyering bullshit about how SA is violating some civility or topic ban guidelines - I've looked through the relevant diffs and they're all about removing total crap from articles, though sometimes with snarky edit summaries. Hey all you folks (*cough*Malleus*cough*) who always complain about the "civility police" and bitch about how content contributors are under appreciated, where are you now?
*As far as I can tell, though I'm not as knowledgeable in Wikipedia lore and history as others, Cla's not involved in these articles at all, but is just bringing it up because he's got some kind of problem with SA prolly stemming from some kind of personal grudge. Again, typical crap that makes Wikipedia a social hellhole. Maybe I'm missing something.
*As far as I can tell, I'm sure SA is an asshole but that's what you turn into when you have to deal with moronism repeatedly on Wikipedia. I probably wouldn't like him if I ever got to interact with him. But part of being intellectually honest, not to mention grown up, on Wikipedia as in real life, is admitting that certain people, however obnoxious they may be, happen to be right at certain times.

I've been depressed lately because none of the candidates on the list are ones that I can really get behind. This deserves to be on there.
+Quote Post
Peter Damian

I have as much free time as a Wikipedia admin!

QUOTE(radek @ Sun 16th January 2011, 6:30am) *

Wait, before we get there, I actually want Cla68 nominated for the Dick award, based on this request against Science Apologists. I know people here like Cla and all that and gots problems with SA but the whole request just encapsulates numerous problems with Wikipedia:
*The whole request is based on some Wikilawyering bullshit about how SA is violating some civility or topic ban guidelines - I've looked through the relevant diffs and they're all about removing total crap from articles, though sometimes with snarky edit summaries. Hey all you folks (*cough*Malleus*cough*) who always complain about the "civility police" and bitch about how content contributors are under appreciated, where are you now?
*As far as I can tell, though I'm not as knowledgeable in Wikipedia lore and history as others, Cla's not involved in these articles at all, but is just bringing it up because he's got some kind of problem with SA prolly stemming from some kind of personal grudge. Again, typical crap that makes Wikipedia a social hellhole. Maybe I'm missing something.
*As far as I can tell, I'm sure SA is an asshole but that's what you turn into when you have to deal with moronism repeatedly on Wikipedia. I probably wouldn't like him if I ever got to interact with him. But part of being intellectually honest, not to mention grown up, on Wikipedia as in real life, is admitting that certain people, however obnoxious they may be, happen to be right at certain times.

I've been depressed lately because none of the candidates on the list are ones that I can really get behind. This deserves to be on there.

Agree 100%, all your points. Cla68 was defending a complete moron called Zulu Papa 5 whose work I have now looked at more closely.
+Quote Post
Herschelkrustofsky

QUOTE(radek @ Sat 15th January 2011, 10:30pm) *

Wait, before we get there, I actually want Cla68 nominated for the Dick award, based on this request against Science Apologists.
Well, there are two problems. The first is that, after much fanfare, the nominations are closed. The second is that Cla68 is not an admin and is unlikely ever to be one, having crossed far too many poobahs and muckety-mucks. I think you will have to content yourself with simply campaigning vigorously against his nomination for Cojones.
+Quote Post
LessHorrid vanU

Devils Advocaat

QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Fri 14th January 2011, 6:06am) *

Favourite candidate: Me

Blurb: I apparently send Ottava Rima apoplectic simply by existing.

Categories: Straight Shooter and Dick of Distinction; it works for both.

Glossy promo piccy: On my WP userpage
+Quote Post
SB_Johnny

It wasn't me who made honky-tonk angels

QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Sun 16th January 2011, 11:21am) *

QUOTE(radek @ Sat 15th January 2011, 10:30pm) *

Wait, before we get there, I actually want Cla68 nominated for the Dick award, based on this request against Science Apologists.
Well, there are two problems. The first is that, after much fanfare, the nominations are closed. The second is that Cla68 is not an admin and is unlikely ever to be one, having crossed far too many poobahs and muckety-mucks. I think you will have to content yourself with simply campaigning vigorously against his nomination for Cojones.

And besides, this is the award for 2010 achievements, n'est pas? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
Herschelkrustofsky

QUOTE(SB_Johnny @ Wed 19th January 2011, 1:53pm) *

And besides, this is the award for 2010 achievements, n'est pas? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif)
Oui.
+Quote Post
radek

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Thu 20th January 2011, 7:28am) *

QUOTE(SB_Johnny @ Wed 19th January 2011, 1:53pm) *

Oui.

True enough, guess I'll just have to nominate him at RfA and hope he passes by this time next year.
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

Known alias of J. Random Troll

QUOTE(LessHorrid vanU @ Wed 19th January 2011, 2:49pm) *

And this separates you from the rest of the world, how?
+Quote Post
Cla68

Postmaster

QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Sun 16th January 2011, 2:58pm) *

QUOTE(radek @ Sun 16th January 2011, 6:30am) *

Agree 100%, all your points. Cla68 was defending a complete moron called Zulu Papa 5 whose work I have now looked at more closely.

I think the nomination of ScienceApologist/Joshua P. Schroeder for Miss Incongeniality may be moot because he has just been indef blocked.

This post has been edited by Cla68:
+Quote Post
Lar

"His blandness goes to 11!"

Member No.: 4,290

QUOTE(Cla68 @ Fri 21st January 2011, 1:05am) *

I think the nomination of ScienceApologist/Joshua P. Schroeder for Miss Incongeniality may be moot because he has just been indef blocked.

That won't stick, I bet... Plus b, it may DQ him for 2011 but he's certainly in the running for 2010....
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

I have as much free time as a Wikipedia admin!

QUOTE(LessHorrid vanU @ Wed 19th January 2011, 4:49pm) *

I bet you get a lot of naughty e-mails from interested viewers seeking more pix! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/evilgrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Ottava

Ãœber Pokemon

Group: Contributors

QUOTE(LessHorrid vanU @ Wed 19th January 2011, 4:49pm) *

(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/sick.gif)
+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

QUOTE(Cla68 @ Thu 20th January 2011, 9:05pm) *

And off we go to the Idiot Board......

(IMG:http://i768.photobucket.com/albums/xx324/tini78/misc%20pics/tongue.gif)

This post has been edited by EricBarbour:
+Quote Post
Herschelkrustofsky

QUOTE(Cla68 @ Thu 20th January 2011, 9:05pm) *

I should think that would be a substantial boost to his campaign.
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

QUOTE(Cla68 @ Thu 20th January 2011, 10:05pm) *

That's a weird one. ScienceApol/Schroeder put himself in jail for a year and threw away the key, and yet an admin came along la-de-da and indeffed him anyway. I wonder if the blocking admin Timotheus Canens (T-C-L-K-R-D) has a long memory and an axe to grind? He doesn't qualify as an "involved administrator" under the ArbComm sanction restrictions, simply because he is "not engaged in a current, direct, personal conflict on the topic with the user receiving sanctions." However, these two editors have edited on the following list of articles:

1 Water fluoridation controversy
2 Maryse Ouellet
3 List of common misconceptions
4 Free space
5 Dinosaur
6 Captain Kangaroo
7 Baryon

And it would very much surprise me if they haven't crossed swords in the past. One has been on WP for ~6 years, and the other ~7!
+Quote Post
Collect

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Fri 21st January 2011, 3:29pm) *

That's a weird one. ScienceApol/Schroeder put himself in jail for a year and threw away the key, and yet an admin came along la-de-da and indeffed him anyway. I wonder if the blocking admin Timotheus Canens (T-C-L-K-R-D) has a long memory and an axe to grind? He doesn't qualify as an "involved administrator" under the ArbComm sanction restrictions, simply because he is "not engaged in a current, direct, personal conflict on the topic with the user receiving sanctions." However, these two editors have edited on the following list of articles:

2 Maryse Ouellet
4 Free space
5 Dinosaur
6 Captain Kangaroo
7 Baryon

And it would very much surprise me if they haven't crossed swords in the past. One has been on WP for ~6 years, and the other ~7!

A 7 article overlap for long-time users is de minimis. And there is only one controversial subject in the list (and it is not Captain Kangaroo).
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

QUOTE(Collect @ Fri 21st January 2011, 5:54pm) *

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Fri 21st January 2011, 3:29pm) *

2 Maryse Ouellet
4 Free space
5 Dinosaur
6 Captain Kangaroo
7 Baryon

A 7 article overlap for long-time users is de minimis. And there is only one controversial subject in the list (and it is not Captain Kangaroo).

No, I'm guessing it's the one about pollution of our precious bodily fluids by the Commies.

-- Ripper
+Quote Post
A User

The Dick of Distinction Award should go to both Fred Bauder and David Gerard. Bauder for coming out with this little gem:

"There can be no viable alternative to Wikipedia."

http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/found...ber/063182.html

Then Gerard chips in trying to justify Bauder's statement:

"There's basically no way at this stage for someone to be a better Wikipedia than Wikipedia."

http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/found...ber/063184.html

Way to spin-doctor what Bauder actually said. Then offer people the only alternative solution down the thread by starting up a Wikia! *LOL*
+Quote Post
LessHorrid vanU

Devils Advocaat

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Thu 20th January 2011, 5:32pm) *

QUOTE(LessHorrid vanU @ Wed 19th January 2011, 2:49pm) *

And this separates you from the rest of the world, how?

No, I couldn't think of any better reasons either.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)