The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V « < 3 4 5  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Are Feature articles worth their salt?, Feature article quality evaluation shows they're a crock
RMHED
post Wed 8th February 2012, 2:19am
Post #81

Über Member

Group: Regulars
Member No.: 11,716

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

Cartman's Anal Probing is a tame TFA compared to Gropecunt Lane
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Rhindle
post Wed 8th February 2012, 2:27am
Post #82

Group: Contributors
Member No.: 6,834

I was hoping to start a thread on the current FA on the main page and title the thread "Wikipedia gets an Anal Probe." tongue.gif Jimbo has reservations about this article on the main page too but the "Wikahpediah is naht censhard" crew is arguing with him.
+Quote Post
chrisoff
post Thu 9th February 2012, 7:32pm
Post #83

Member No.: 17,248

Today's featured article (Russell Burnham) was just pulled from the Main page for plagerism.

You'd think with so little to do, Raul could at least check the article he chooses for the Main page. (It was nominated for FAC by Rlevrse and on one of his favorite topics - scouting!)

And with all the squawking SandyGeorgia does about plagiarism at DYK! Maybe (tho doubtful) she'll stop trashing editors with multi-postings on various forums for some equivocal "close paraphrasing" .

Suggestion that SandyGeorgia be banned from DYK

SandyGeorgia says she's quitting cause of all the abuse she's taken and no one will defend her!

Oh, pray that's true and she's leaving. Just think what a better place wp will be. So much less stressful for the rest of us! Don't have to be scared when the orange bar goes off!

But she'll be back in a heartbeat. You can bet on it! (Besides dying dogs and kitchen renovation plans, plus no snow, she has no real life.)

Oh, no! She won't shut up! Can't shut up - wp is her life - hope she finds a real person to talk to!

Still accusing! Won't be satisfied until she gets her pound of flesh from even Rklawton and Ed17

And there's all the others on her long list. She's got too much venom to stop posting.

This post has been edited by chrisoff: Thu 9th February 2012, 11:18pm
+Quote Post
Malleus
post Sat 11th February 2012, 6:12am
Post #84

Fat Cat

Member No.: 8,716

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(chrisoff @ Thu 9th February 2012, 7:32pm) *
She's got too much venom to stop posting.

The irony is palpable.
+Quote Post
Selina
post Sat 11th February 2012, 6:47am
Post #85

Cat herder

Group: Staffy
Member No.: 1

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

all I saw was "gwen gale gwen gale gwen gale" or something, oh wait it was "sandygeorgia sandygeorgia sandygeorgia" this time.

"chrisoff", have you seen The Shining?

I don't think I've seen a single person on the site take you seriously, if you actually want people to listen to you you need to start putting things more calmly and rationally tongue.gif
+Quote Post
chrisoff
post Mon 13th February 2012, 3:18am
Post #86

Member No.: 17,248

QUOTE(Selina @ Sat 11th February 2012, 1:47am) *

all I saw was "gwen gale gwen gale gwen gale" or something, oh wait it was "sandygeorgia sandygeorgia sandygeorgia" this time.

"chrisoff", have you seen The Shining?

I don't think I've seen a single person on the site take you seriously, if you actually want people to listen to you you need to start putting things more calmly and rationally tongue.gif

It doesn't really matter what people think of me. I'm just enjoying the fact that the atmosphere on wp has improved for me all of a sudden.

That's my main goal - purely selfish. Thinking that if editors see how nasty they sound on wiki, splashing the nastiness everywhere, they will stop the ugliness there. That's far more important to me than what people think of me here.

The last few days have definitely been better.

This post has been edited by chrisoff: Mon 13th February 2012, 3:22am
+Quote Post
The Joy
post Tue 14th February 2012, 6:24am
Post #87

I am a millipede! I am amazing!

Group: Members
Member No.: 982

Courtesy of Tony1 (T-C-L-K-R-D) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nnuujd8YR4k
+Quote Post
Selina
post Tue 14th February 2012, 6:29am
Post #88

Cat herder

Group: Staffy
Member No.: 1

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

lol! I beat you to that one Joy smile.gif (look for the Image)
+Quote Post
The Joy
post Tue 14th February 2012, 6:32am
Post #89

I am a millipede! I am amazing!

Group: Members
Member No.: 982

QUOTE(Selina @ Tue 14th February 2012, 1:29am) *

lol! I beat you to that one Joy smile.gif (look for the Image)

Stalin for time? wink.gif
+Quote Post
Mister Die
post Sat 10th March 2012, 7:14am
Post #90

Member No.: 75,644

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(Mister Die @ Mon 30th January 2012, 5:58am) *
I feel that featured articles should be treated as ones which have basically achieved a "this really can't get any better than it is" status and therefore should be locked with any changes made either by the editor(s) responsible for making it a featured article in the first place, or done via the talk pages on a well-informed basis.
I still stand by this view, which I was reminded of when seeing the sheer amount of "former featured articles" (972 as of this post) in existence.

I know a number of those are probably just ones which aren't up to the "standards" of a modern-day Wiki article (whatever those are outside of being readable, being well-sourced, and having proper formatting), but don't Wikipedian masterminds ever stop to think that the amount of people willing to make featured-quality articles would rise a fair bit if said articles were properly protected and actually given the treatment they conceivably deserve, what with being considered the cream of the crop of Wikipedia's content?

This post has been edited by Mister Die: Sat 10th March 2012, 7:19am
+Quote Post
Mister Die
post Sat 24th March 2012, 4:56pm
Post #91

Member No.: 75,644

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

Today's featured article

The Voluntary Human Extinction Movement is an environmental movement that calls for all people to abstain from reproduction to cause the gradual voluntary extinction of mankind.
So the American Declaration of Independence and Julius Cæsar can't get featured article status (indeed, they seem locked), but some modern super-fringe anti-humanity group can?

I mean couldn't these people at least work on something more historically significant and interesting yet still possibly relevant to their interests? The article on the Circumcellions could use some expansion.

Edit: Having looked at it, it's not even worthy of "featured article" status. It looks like most other articles on fringe movements. Some brief words on their founding, some equally brief words on "organization" (where we can confirm that it is, again, super-fringe), and then a big ol' section about their "ideology" and one about as large concerning criticism.

Maybe some FA nomination persons have read my post and took the "this [article] really can't get any better than it is" mentality literally, or are just thickheaded. tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Mister Die: Sat 24th March 2012, 5:18pm
+Quote Post

5 Pages V « < 3 4 5
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd 4 14, 7:39pm