FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Carcharoth Arb Candidacy -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> Carcharoth Arb Candidacy, Some Lulz in Jehochman's Questions
Milton Roe

Known alias of J. Random Troll

Group: Regulars

QUOTE(User:Jehochman)

We both received sysop tools during the same week, but seem to have radically different approaches to adminship. For instance I have performed many blocks, but you have never blocked anyone.[http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special%3ALog&type=block&user=Carcharoth&page=&year=&month=-1] I have closed virtually no [[WP:AFD|article for deletion]] discussions, whereas other administrators close many of them. What sort of approach do you think is best for ArbCom, or do you think the Committee needs a variety of volunteers with different approaches? Thanks. [[User:Jehochman|Jehochman]] <sup>[[User talk:Jehochman|Talk]]</sup> 17:20, 10 November 2008 (UTC)

QUOTE(Carcharoth)

:I agree with you that the Committee needs a variety of volunteers with different approaches. My approach, as you have pointed out, does not usually involve blocks. I have made a one-second block to annotate a block log, and I have made two unblocks - in all three cases these actions were carried out following discussion at the administrators' noticeboards, as noted in the block logs. For the discussions related to those actions, see [[Wikipedia:Administrators%27_noticeboard/IncidentArchive434#Unresolved_incident|here]] (right at end of thread), [[Wikipedia:Administrators' noticeboard/Betacommand blocked for sockpuppetry|here]] (whole thread on subpage), [[Wikipedia:Administrators%27_noticeboard/Betacommand_blocked_for_sockpuppetry#Proposed_unblock|here]] (the first unblock) and [[Wikipedia:Administrators%27_noticeboard/Betacommand_blocked_for_sockpuppetry#Pledge_confirmed_and_Betacommand2_unblocked|here]] (the second unblock). In other words, I rarely use the block tools because my approach involves discussion and debate (usually at the administrators noticeboards), with warnings if needed, aiming to persuade people to change their behaviour or reconsider their actions, though I have also suggested blocks and other sanctions, where appropriate. When the discussion indicates that blocks are needed, someone else has usually stepped up and carried out the actions. There are places where specific requests are made for blocks, such as at AIV (vandalism notices), 3RR (three-revert rule noticeboard) and RFCU (requests for checkuser), but I haven't worked in those areas, and so haven't done much blocking. As far as this relates to work done on the Arbitration Committee, I think being able to research, discuss and judge a case is more important than having direct experience with using specific tools. If there were cases involving technical matters, I would ensure that I understood the technical details before reaching a verdict, and in discussions I would aim to draw on the experience that fellow arbitrators would have in areas that I might not be familiar with. [[User:Carcharoth|Carcharoth]] ([[User talk:Carcharoth|talk]]) 03:22, 12 November 2008 (UTC)

It's certainly true that these two apparently became admins for different reasons. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/wink.gif)

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Milton Roe   Carcharoth Arb Candidacy  
everyking   I've consistently been impressed by this guy. ...  
Alex   I've consistently been impressed by this guy....  
Obesity   Am I mistaking him for someone else, or isn't ...  
Alex   Am I mistaking him for someone else, or isn't...  
Pumpkin Muffins   Am I mistaking him for someone else, or isn't...  
Lar   Am I mistaking him for someone else, or isn...  
Milton Roe   Am I mistaking him for someone else, or isn't...  
tarantino   Am I mistaking him for someone else, or isn't...  
Cla68   Am I mistaking him for someone else, or isn...  
Giggy   [...] Does Carcharoth write any articles, by the ...  
LessHorrid vanU   Carcharoth is okay - we had a really big debate ab...  
everyking   He is good as de-escalating disputes and opening ...  
wikiwhistle   He is good as de-escalating disputes and opening...  
LessHorrid vanU   [quote name='LessHorrid vanU' post='141511' date=...  
everyking   [quote name='LessHorrid vanU' post='141511' date...  
wikiwhistle   Not that I have any expectation of it, but reall...  
everyking   Not that I have any expectation of it, but real...  
D.A.F.   Carcharoth is worthless. It is nice to see what so...  
Somey   This past April he started several short articles ...  
Neil   Carcharoth is one of the good guys, and I shall be...  
D.A.F.   Carcharoth is one of the good guys, and I shall b...  
Milton Roe   [quote name='Neil' post='141648' date='Mon 17th N...  
D.A.F.   [quote name='Neil' post='141648' date='Mon 17th ...  
Milton Roe   [quote name='Milton Roe' post='141735' date='Mon ...  
sarcasticidealist   But the MathewHoffman case was essentiall a WP:BIT...  
wikiwhistle   Not as many as there should be. These guys are d...  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)