FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Don Murphy brings the Apocalypse! -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> Discussions in this subforum are hidden from search engines.

However, they are not hidden from automobile engines, including the newer, more "environmentally-friendly" electric and hybrid engines. Also, please note that this subforum is meant to be used for discussion of the actual biographical articles themselves; more generalized discussions of BLP policy should be posted in the General Discussion or Bureaucracy forums.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Don Murphy brings the Apocalypse!
carbuncle

Fat Cat

Group: Regulars

After User:Erik added a picture to Don Murphy, the following note appeared on his talk page:
Don Murphy Photo
Dear Erik

Cropping a photo does not make it a derivative work. You do not have the copyright to that photo you inserted. You can avoid personal litigation by removing it within 48 hours. The Foundation cannot avoid it. Thank you. SharkJumper 15:44, 23 April 2010 (UTC)
Enjoy WP while you still can!

Never mind - Apocalypse cancelled.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tarc

Fat Cat

Man, I just happened to comment on this over there a moment ago. Am I being stalked? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/fear.gif)

The image itself is shit, and I'm not really clear on how an image from someone flickr stream gets licensed CC in the first place.
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

Known alias of J. Random Troll

QUOTE(carbuncle @ Fri 23rd April 2010, 12:44pm) *

After User:Erik added a picture to Don Murphy, the following note appeared on his talk page:
Don Murphy Photo
Dear Erik

Cropping a photo does not make it a derivative work. You do not have the copyright to that photo you inserted. You can avoid personal litigation by removing it within 48 hours. The Foundation cannot avoid it. Thank you. SharkJumper 15:44, 23 April 2010 (UTC)
Enjoy WP while you still can!

Never mind - Apocalypse cancelled.

Amazing that SharkJumper (T-C-L-K-R-D) didn't get zapped for WP:NLT violation.

[edit] Wups. On going to his page I see that's exactly what happened. Plus, he was a Murphy sock, of course.
+Quote Post
carbuncle

Fat Cat

Apocalypse possibly back on if Don Murphy doesn't have a stroke while furiously yet impotently pounding his keyboard:
Making legal threats

There's a quite serious policy at the Wikipedia (seen at WP:NLT about threatening legal action, as you did here. You really need to go retract that immediately before it gets you into trouble. If there's issues with copyrighted material, then there are better ways ways of dealing with that. Since the file itself is hosted at the Wikipedia Commons, I'd think you'd have to pursue it there. Tarc (talk) 16:02, 23 April 2010 (UTC)
Get me into trouble? Hah. Bringing the curtain down more like! SharkJumper (talk) 19:11, 23 April 2010 (UTC)

I have just reported you for your legal threat, as indicated above. The original image was released under CC licensing, and it is acceptable to have a derivative image based on a CC licensed image. Erik (talk | contribs) 16:25, 23 April 2010 (UTC)

Oh I better call my fucking mommy you stupid prick. Who is going to pay your legal bill? I just allocated $10,000 of Transformers money just to sue you to set a precedent. So report away. Bass and Wales ain't gonna help you little boy. http://www.donmurphy.net/board/showthread.php?t=33622 SharkJumper (talk) 19:10, 23 April 2010 (UTC)

+Quote Post
Ottava

Ãœber Pokemon

Group: Contributors

Did everyone forget that a NLT block is ended as soon as the threat is over? And seeing as how the image is removed there is no more threat?
+Quote Post
carbuncle

Fat Cat

QUOTE(Ottava @ Fri 23rd April 2010, 8:41pm) *

Did everyone forget that a NLT block is ended as soon as the threat is over? And seeing as how the image is removed there is no more threat?

I think Murphy's past threats and harassment of various people have resulted in him being permabanned. (IMG:http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/14/Don_Murphy.jpg)
And his monkey, too.
+Quote Post
Somey

Can't actually moderate (or even post)

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 275

QUOTE(carbuncle @ Fri 23rd April 2010, 3:51pm) *
And his monkey, too.

Bastards! That isn't even his monkey!

These people will just ban anyone (or any monkey) they please, not caring about the wide-ranging implications of banning innocent monkeys without anything even approaching just cause.

So, who's been watching the NFL draft?
+Quote Post
Ottava

Ãœber Pokemon

QUOTE(Somey @ Fri 23rd April 2010, 9:07pm) *

QUOTE(carbuncle @ Fri 23rd April 2010, 3:51pm) *
And his monkey, too.

Bastards! That isn't even his monkey!

These people will just ban anyone (or any monkey) they please, not caring about the wide-ranging implications of banning innocent monkeys without anything even approaching just cause.

So, who's been watching the NFL draft?

I was, and everyone was pissed off when after waiting so long only for the Ravens to give up their late 1st round draft pick so there was no pick for them last night.
+Quote Post
Somey

QUOTE(Ottava @ Fri 23rd April 2010, 4:09pm) *
I was, and everyone was pissed off when after waiting so long only for the Ravens to give up their late 1st round draft pick so there was no pick for them last night.

True, but it was the smart move. Most people seem to agree that after the first 15 picks, the talent level is likely to be pretty consistent for the next hundred or so. Besides, if there's no lockout next year, there's probably going to be a LOT of unrestricted free agents. That means this is the year to trade down in the draft for more late-round picks - 2011 picks in general are likely to have less value trade-wise, if that's actually what happens.

Funny, I wouldn't have expected you to be interested in that sort of thing! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Ottava

Ãœber Pokemon

QUOTE(Somey @ Fri 23rd April 2010, 9:34pm) *

QUOTE(Ottava @ Fri 23rd April 2010, 4:09pm) *

True, but it was the smart move. Most people seem to agree that after the first 15 picks, the talent level is likely to be pretty consistent for the next hundred or so. Besides, if there's no lockout next year, there's probably going to be a LOT of unrestricted free agents. That means this is the year to trade down in the draft for more late-round picks - 2011 picks in general are likely to have less value trade-wise, if that's actually what happens.

Funny, I wouldn't have expected you to be interested in that sort of thing! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)

At the DC Meetup, I was the only one to be watching the Jets woop up on the Bengals. Baltimore is a football town. I am glad to have a strong alternative to the team I was forced to embrace when I was small (the team formerly led by Mr touchy grabby in the nightclub).
+Quote Post
Somey

QUOTE(Ottava @ Fri 23rd April 2010, 4:57pm) *
At the DC Meetup, I was the only one to be watching the Jets woop up on the Bengals. Baltimore is a football town. I am glad to have a strong alternative to the team I was forced to embrace when I was small (the team formerly led by Mr touchy grabby in the nightclub).

Formerly? I thought they said they weren't going to trade him.

Maybe I should become a Ravens fan too - that might be better than waiting for Dan Snyder to finally grow up and have a heart attack, so that someone competent can take over.
+Quote Post
victim of censorship

Not all thugs are Wikipediots, but all Wikipediots are thugs.

Member No.: 9,640

QUOTE(carbuncle @ Fri 23rd April 2010, 8:51pm) *

QUOTE(Ottava @ Fri 23rd April 2010, 8:41pm) *

I think Murphy's past threats and harassment of various people have resulted in him being permabanned. (IMG:http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/14/Don_Murphy.jpg)
And his monkey, too.

I think the monkey looks a like a typical Wikpediot administrator at a Meetup
+Quote Post
Ottava

Ãœber Pokemon

QUOTE(Somey @ Fri 23rd April 2010, 10:01pm) *

QUOTE(Ottava @ Fri 23rd April 2010, 4:57pm) *

Formerly? I thought they said they weren't going to trade him.

Maybe I should become a Ravens fan too - that might be better than waiting for Dan Snyder to finally grow up and have a heart attack, so that someone competent can take over.

Well, one can only hope about Rottensberg.

What makes the Ravens great is that they always have a nasty season, always have interesting games (no real blow outs unless they are unexpected), and the calls are always exciting because they can be ridiculous.

The Redskins... sigh. They are like the Baltimore Orioles - once had some decent players but kept losing them to injuries or trading them off on bad deals. Then when it all fell apart, the team got use to losing and couldn't get out of its hole.

QUOTE(victim of censorship @ Fri 23rd April 2010, 10:22pm) *

The monkey is probably a better article writer. Remember, when given enough time the monkey will write Shakespeare.
+Quote Post
Somey

QUOTE(victim of censorship @ Fri 23rd April 2010, 5:22pm) *

Come on - don't be so insulting to monkeys! Besides, if there were any real similarity there, Murphy would be punching the monkey in the face, not shaking his hand.

That brings up an interesting question - can you shake hands with a vole? I'd have to say you probably can shake hands with a mole, since they have those big front paws for digging, but a vole... they don't have the big front paws.
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

Known alias of J. Random Troll

QUOTE(Somey @ Fri 23rd April 2010, 3:30pm) *

QUOTE(victim of censorship @ Fri 23rd April 2010, 5:22pm) *

Come on - don't be so insulting to monkeys! Besides, if there were any real similarity there, Murphy would be punching the monkey in the face, not shaking his hand.

That brings up an interesting question - can you shake hands with a vole? I'd have to say you probably can shake hands with a mole, since they have those big front paws for digging, but a vole... they don't have the big front paws.

Take the paw gently between two curled fingers, using the volar surface of the hand.

Ask me anything. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif)
+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

Gad. What a nerd....

No wonder he spends so much time writing about movies on WP.
No life at all.

I dream in XHTML, CSS, and jQuery, and I lovingly hand-code all my sites in Textmate.
+Quote Post
dtobias

Obsessive trolling idiot [per JzG]

Member No.: 962

Murphy is just being a smelly lump of feces as usual. I checked on the status of the image, and the original Flickr posting was indeed released under a CC license permitting remixing/adaptation, so no copyrights were violated. Even if they were, the rights would belong to whoever took the picture, not to Murphy himself, so he would have no grounds to sue.
+Quote Post
GlassBeadGame

Dharma Bum

From: My name it means nothing. My age it means less. The country I come from is called the Mid-West.
Member No.: 981

QUOTE(dtobias @ Fri 23rd April 2010, 9:48pm) *

Murphy is just being a smelly lump of feces as usual. I checked on the status of the image, and the original Flickr posting was indeed released under a CC license permitting remixing/adaptation, so no copyrights were violated. Even if they were, the rights would belong to whoever took the picture, not to Murphy himself, so he would have no grounds to sue.

Not if it was a work for hire.
+Quote Post
ColScott

QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Fri 23rd April 2010, 7:50pm) *

QUOTE(dtobias @ Fri 23rd April 2010, 9:48pm) *

Not if it was a work for hire.

which it was so eat a bag dtobias.

My favorite part is that after speaking with Erik he is desperately trying to convince me that I have the wrong guy.

Except he is on vacation in the UK
and the phone rings a UK ring
and all of his edit times are UK
unless he started editing at 5 am on a Saturday in NY
which even with no life I doubt

(hey tobias, what did I ever do to you?)

so editor ERIK posted a photo to my article yesterday designed to make me look stupid
we managed to convince the cultists that it should not be posted and in fact are having it removed
this led to ERIK being outed on my website

ERIK then went and re-wrote the article
the same article that stood by minding its own business for 16 months.

He re-wrote it as an act of revenge to me
And he rewrote it to remove the link to donmurphy.net that would of course out his crybaby ass

I have questions for the cultists that lurk here

1- Why is rewriting an article for revenge okay? BLP: DO NO HARM is just an f-ing joke right?
2- Go and look at the archives for the article. It had been decided that linking to DM.net was okay because it was my official site. Attack site my ass it is a personal site for Transformers and movie fans. Do any of you have the chops to put it back where it belongs?
3- To quote a great general- Have you no shame? Why is Erik even allowed among you?
+Quote Post
Peter Damian

I have as much free time as a Wikipedia admin!

Some messages from 'Erik Kraft' on User:Erik's page, from the IP 95.177.43.18 which is London registered. He claims to know nothing about Wikipedia and therefore not the Wikipedia editor user:Erik. Which is puzzling as he claims only to have heard of this in the last hour.

* How did he find User:Erik page on Wikipedia
* How did he know it was to do with Don Murphy, who only identified himself as 'Don'?
* How did he learn to indent with a colon and use three 's for bold type? Perhaps the colon he learned from the person who replied to his first message, but how the bold?
* How does he know what an 'edit war' is?

'''Erik Kraft here again. Sorry for not following the reply conventions, but I'm not a wikipedia editor and I feel this is rather urgent. Erik, can you clarify what you meant by "process of outing you." Because Don and his people seem to be taking this as evidence that I, Erik Kraft, am the person they are mad at. Don has posted my personal information, including address and phone number, on his forum on his personal site and I'm extremely disturbed. Thanks. '''
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Eri...mely_mad_at_you

[edit]
His second edit
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=358034400
also shows proficiency in the use of == for section headings.

[edit] Even more puzzling, user:Erik removes information from his user page

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=358006391

with the comment "Removed incriminating information to avoid harassment". The information is that he is "from Chicago, IL and am a graduate of University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign". Thus he attended the same university as Erik Kraft

http://www.restlessbee.com/pdfs/erik_kraft_resume.pdf

The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign // Visiting Assistant Librarian for Digital Resources / July 2005–June 2006 // Graduate Assistant and Web Designer / January 2004–August 2005

[edit] From Murphy's forum:

Clearly Don isn't going to be talked out of thinking I'm playing some game with him, but I hope everyone else realizes I'm dead serious and extremely disturbed. I'd like everyone to know that Don called me from a blocked number, and wouldn't tell me his last name or even identify the article he was so upset about. I've had to figure it out myself over the past two hours.
http://www.donmurphy.net/board/showthread.php?t=33622

How exactly did he figure this out? I.e. that it was Don Murphy, that the article was the problem, and so on.

This post has been edited by Peter Damian:
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)