FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Venting about JzG -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Venting about JzG
Janron

Group: Contributors

This guy is the most insane user/admin on Wikipedia. He is angry, bonkers, etc. and is able to block those on a whim using some seekrit evidence that is not known to those he blocks!

When something is posted on ANI or whatever notice board, he gets a few of the hive-mind admins to back him up, even though there are some who disagree with him. This is the "community"? Only 3 others who agree with him is enough to make this block, that only provokes the situation that much more!!???

My friend who was indef banned by him was a great human being. After being harassed online by those who use the "system" to make false claims against her and put the "spotlight" on her, she was the one punished because the others were in another country using multiple IP addresses. Yes, she was a person who was very outspoken..sometimes very blunt and used some foul language. You've probably heard this before, but anyway...I wanted to clear her name and wrote to one of the arbcom members. One who said I am the same person as a dead person! I know this is NOT true. But after reading this site, and other sites, I refuse to release the personal information to get the banners on her pages deleted, while her awards, and accolades are buried and DELETED!! (unless one digs around, that is)

Yes, she suffered no fools, and told it as she saw it. Even though she should have used better language. But this woman was dying, and there were many who knew this, but still treated her like crap.

She was helpful to others, had articles promoted to the front page, but is still treated as if she was evil. Yet this person, JzG is still around spousing his venom and has the tools to silence those to whom he feels is "not in this to write an encyclopedia". I am so saddened by this. One, because I was asked to provide my employer, with phone number and "maybe" the smear banners on her account will be removed. But, this has not happened.

I know for a FACT that the check user is wrong, because they, whoever they are, think I am the same person. Even though I've seen her in her coffin. I almost did provide my telephone number and place of employment to help resolve this in order to remove the punishment or her account. As many of her friends, family and co-workers knew she was using her time editing Wikipedia!

Why is this man still able to have an account, let alone an account with privileges to ruin and depress another person? Hell, he lost his father and that is sad. But so has this woman, and she had a terminal illness! Not just depression.... not just the flu, etc. Why are they unable to understand the double standards?

I am just sick and distraught over losing a friend, who was a WONDERFUL human being, to have her ID (known to those that knew her, and her employer too) on the top of the Google search.

Even though, thankfully, she did not use her REAL name, she did let others know judging by her emails that her family and friends have gone through. I WILL NOT divulge her real name, because she could very well be "notable" under Wikipedia's standards, and that would hurt those who loved and cared about her without her around to "WATCH" the article.

I just got back from the area of her funeral and I am so sad, and her Wikipedia page still contains false allegations, or worse, the double standards that Wikipedia management are able to get away with. Having "sock-puppets", uncivil behavior. Sigh..

Sorry, just venting. I will NOT release her real name so as to reduce the pain her family is already feeling. I know that Wikipedia is flaky, but her user ID is one that is known by family, friends and co-workers, so when looking up her name they see her Wikipedia profile that is tarnished and is like a smack in the face. Though, luckily there are other names that come up on the search that have no connection to her real life. That is a relief. I just wanted to post here because I'm so upset about her good name and will on Wikipedia, that was so much of her life after her diagnosis and she wanted to help in some way, while being so ill that she could not leave her house.

This woman was an asset, still is. Still, the Internet is full of fakes and horrible people that can hurt those in real live. JzG is one of them. He feels so sorry for himself, and others or the hierarchy do too. My friend edited controversial subjects too! Was suffering from a terminal illness that DEPRESSED her, lost a couple of other people in her live who were important to her, etc. (Saying this, because these are some of the excuses being made for JzG's behavior).

Okay, I've had one too many right now. Oh well. My friend is gone. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/sad.gif) Oh, and we worked, thought the same, had similar educations and lived in the same area, had the same ISP, not IP, but still her ID has now included mine as well as a "sock-puppet"...WTH?

Rant over. No response is necessary but please keep putting the pressure on those who have the power to use flawed information to spoil a person's reputation. Thank goodness she did not use her real name, even though she did at first. Sigh. (ILUJ, you are now home where you always wanted to be and almost made it.)

JR

(edit because of mistakes I saw. I'm sure there are more, but hey, I'm under the influence. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif))

This post has been edited by Iamlost:
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Kato

dhd

Group: Regulars

<moderator note> I'm just moving this post to the Support forum for the time being as some of the details are serious, but as of yet seem rather vague.
+Quote Post
The Joy

I am a millipede! I am amazing!

Group: Members
Member No.: 982

Iamlost, I vaguely remember an argument with you and others on the Administrator's Noticeboard. Would you be willing to point out that conversation?
+Quote Post
Janron

QUOTE(The Joy @ Thu 27th March 2008, 4:17pm) *

Iamlost, I vaguely remember an argument with you and others on the Administrator's Noticeboard. Would you be willing to point out that conversation?

I've never argued on any noticeboard on Wikipedia, so I don't understand your question. Though I have read many postings on individual noticeboards trying to gather evidence and understand the dynamics. What I referred to above is an old post on one of the noticeboards, but I didn't post to it because it's in an archive, does that help?

+Quote Post
Newyorkbrad

Ãœber Member

Iamlost, please e-mail me the username in question and I will see if there is any problem with deleting the userpage and talkpage.

Newyorkbrad
+Quote Post
LessHorrid vanU

Devils Advocaat

QUOTE(Newyorkbrad @ Thu 27th March 2008, 9:33pm) *

Iamlost, please e-mail me the username in question and I will see if there is any problem with deleting the userpage and talkpage.

Newyorkbrad

Brad, deleting the article will - of course - give a very clear indication who this person was. I suggest that you find out which of those parts of the article that are untrue/unfair and have someone else remove them quietly. Then get someone else to protect the article, lest the stuff gets put back in. This is not the WP way, of course, but it is the only way I can think of that will maintain the individuals privacy and dignity.

There are a couple of posters here who claim to have more than one submarine account over on WP. Lets see if any are willing to sacrifice one on behalf of one individual?
+Quote Post
the fieryangel

the Internet Review Corporation is watching you...

Member No.: 577

Yes, that's all very fine and well...

But what about the emotional stress caused on these people because of the actions of JzG and other's?

Why can't this person's named be cleared and why can't her contributions to WP be allowed to exist without this issues which have nothing to do with the legacy of this deceased person?

Why is this so difficult to understand?
+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

Member No.: 3,670

The emotional stress tends to vary with individual and the amount of elapsed time, but some of the passages are astonishment, surprise, outrage, disappointment, chagrin, despair, disgust, and perplexity.

I reckon it takes most people a long time to arrive at perplexity.

But perplexity has the advantage that it motivates some of us to engage in research and creative problem-solving.
+Quote Post
Newyorkbrad

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(LessHorrid vanU @ Fri 28th March 2008, 8:33pm) *

QUOTE(Newyorkbrad @ Thu 27th March 2008, 9:33pm) *

Newyorkbrad

Brad, deleting the article will - of course - give a very clear indication who this person was. I suggest that you find out which of those parts of the article that are untrue/unfair and have someone else remove them quietly. Then get someone else to protect the article, lest the stuff gets put back in. This is not the WP way, of course, but it is the only way I can think of that will maintain the individuals privacy and dignity.

There are a couple of posters here who claim to have more than one submarine account over on WP. Lets see if any are willing to sacrifice one on behalf of one individual?

My understanding of the original post was that the poster has a deceased friend whose talkpage and userpage contain allegedly unfair block/ban notices. That is what I was suggesting I (or some other admin) could be helpful with deleting, or at least part of it. If I have misunderstood the situation please let me know.

Newyorkbrad
+Quote Post
Somey

Can't actually moderate (or even post)

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 275

QUOTE(Newyorkbrad @ Fri 28th March 2008, 6:05pm) *
My understanding of the original post was that the poster has a deceased friend whose talkpage and userpage contain allegedly unfair block/ban notices. That is what I was suggesting I (or some other admin) could be helpful with deleting, or at least part of it. If I have misunderstood the situation please let me know.

I don't think you've misunderstood the situation... this is one of those things where I myself would tend to sympathize with WP as much as I would with the person(s) in question. Without more details about what's going on, what can you really do? If he's not going to specify who or what he's talking about, there's simply no way to be absolutely certain that it isn't some sort of elaborate hoax.

I can at least tell everyone that Mr. Iamlost didn't try to register with a free-mail account, and we haven't seen his registration IP before. Everything about him appears to be legitimate, but that really doesn't mean much, does it? I mean, if he explains the whole situation, he and the account in question could easily become targets for various dirty tricks by various people... but if someone like me were to try and intervene, say, offer to ask him for more details so I can check it out and tell everyone whether or not I think he's legitimate, that could put him in an even worse position, if there's anything the least bit fishy about his story. (Nobody should feel obliged to trust anything *I* say either, actually!)

The reason why we set up this here Support Group forum (only a month or so ago?) was so that people could post stuff like this without feeling like they absolutely have to come up with a lot of diffs and other "evidence" to support what they're saying. Maybe it's irresponsible, but then again, if things like this turn out to be true, then in many cases these are real issues that ought to be addressed. BUT in return, posters should expect that some people (mostly dyed-in-the-wool cynics, but not necessarily) won't believe them for lack of evidence.

So it's a bit of a trade-off, there.
+Quote Post
Miltopia

Group: Inactive

QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Fri 28th March 2008, 5:39pm) *

But what about the emotional stress caused on these people because of the actions of JzG and other's?

Because, the only - ONLY - critical statements about JzG that have been allowed to remain on Wikipedia are those prefaced with "JzG is a valuable contributor/admin/BLP enforcer/OTRS helper, but..."

People need to start looking past that preface. It causes anyone on JzG's side to promptly dismiss the rest of the post at best (the worst being the blocks/bans or just horrid, horrid insults that follow). Newyorkbrad, if you're still paying attention to this thread, when JzG inevitably ends up in front of your Committee heed me on this: if you preface any comments on the case with some variation of the above, I sure hope you don't do so lightly, because those prefaces have a very real impact on how seriously people take serious criticism of JzG.

EDIT: Reviewing my post I realized I've wandered from the topic, I think... I'll leave it up but won't go further with it :-)

This post has been edited by Miltopia:
+Quote Post
Newyorkbrad

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(Miltopia @ Sun 30th March 2008, 6:47am) *

Because, the only - ONLY - critical statements about JzG that have been allowed to remain on Wikipedia are those prefaced with "JzG is a valuable contributor/admin/BLP enforcer/OTRS helper, but..."

People need to start looking past that preface. It causes anyone on JzG's side to promptly dismiss the rest of the post at best (the worst being the blocks/bans or just horrid, horrid insults that follow). Newyorkbrad, if you're still paying attention to this thread, when JzG inevitably ends up in front of your Committee heed me on this: if you preface any comments on the case with some variation of the above, I sure hope you don't do so lightly, because those prefaces have a very real impact on how seriously people take serious criticism of JzG.

Not commenting on any individual here, but in general ...

I begin most of my on-wiki criticisms of good-faith contributors with some sort of acknowledgement of the user's positive contributions. I think that is only fair; we are a volunteer project, and it is appropriate to note the good as well as the bad about a given person's record, especially where the person is doing his or her best. (The alternative is to announce that someone is a "pretty worthless user," and I don't talk that way, especially when such a comment wouldn't be true.)

The hardest decisions to make aren't the blocks of throwaway accounts and bad-faith editors. They are how to tell dedicated, hard-working participants that their behavior is causing more problems than it is solving, and ultimately how to stop them from doing it if gentle words don't resolve the issue. Those of you who have moderated other forums, including this one, will know exactly what I mean.

Newyorkbrad
+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

QUOTE(Newyorkbrad @ Sun 30th March 2008, 2:42pm) *
The hardest decisions to make aren't the blocks of throwaway accounts and bad-faith editors. They are how to tell dedicated, hard-working participants that their behavior is causing more problems than it is solving, and ultimately how to stop them from doing it if gentle words don't resolve the issue.

I agree.

And the perplexity that confronts me is how to tell the embedded power structure (be it on Wikipedia, some other Internet forum, or the government) that their exercise of power is causing more problems than it's solving.
+Quote Post
the fieryangel

the Internet Review Corporation is watching you...

Member No.: 577

QUOTE(Newyorkbrad @ Sun 30th March 2008, 6:42pm) *

The hardest decisions to make aren't the blocks of throwaway accounts and bad-faith editors. They are how to tell dedicated, hard-working participants that their behavior is causing more problems than it is solving, and ultimately how to stop them from doing it if gentle words don't resolve the issue. Those of you who have moderated other forums, including this one, will know exactly what I mean.

Newyorkbrad

Sorry but that's a cop-out. You've had months and months of evidence that JzG is rude, possibly mentally disturbed and makes judgements which are obviously not based on reality. What have you done?: you've chosen to ignore it.

The only solution is to take his admin. bit away and get him away from your so-called project. You know it. We know it. We can't do it, only you can.

When are you going to finally address this issue directly and solve it?

This post has been edited by the fieryangel:
+Quote Post
Janron

To NewYorkBrad and Somey.

I will provide as much information, as I feel comfortable, in order to straighten this out. RE: my friend's accounts on Wikipedia, and some of that which I could find in links and other pages of her contrubutions and her poor treatement from those in "command" on the project.

The only condition is that both of you have to be above the age of 35! :-), then I will provide some information, and if I feel more confortable, I may provide more. I may even provide my phone number in order to actually speak to someone who is in power, and over the age of 35-years-old, to help explain the problem, issues, and anything else that may help. This I prefer, a phone converstation, because using links, trying to find them, and then provide a statement is time-consuming, and I fear it could cause more trouble then it could ever be worth.

PLUS I would like to address the erroneous accusations when I myself tried to register an account on Wikipedia and was immediately banned as "impersonating" someone else. Totally and utterly false. And when I then asked to rename my account I was slapped with being a sockpuppet of my friend's account!, my page protected and my email blocked. Which had me seeing red, even seething so that my paranoia and distrust for Wikipedia, and other websites connected to it, skyrocketed.

I have 3 children, a spouse, and two jobs so I am very busy. (this is another reason a phone call is best for me)

[Edit to add]

Newyorkbrad

How can I email you when I go to your profile and it says I cannot email you from this board? I then looked at your user page on Wikipedia, and there is no email listed.

Thanks,
I am lost, literally. lol

+Quote Post
guy

Postmaster General

Group: Inactive
Member No.: 23

Judging from the photos of Newyorkbrad that have been posted here, I am reasonably sure he is over 35. Somey has often said that he is in his 40s, and he is an honourable man.
+Quote Post
Somey

Can't actually moderate (or even post)

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 275

QUOTE(Iamlost @ Mon 31st March 2008, 2:56pm) *
I will provide as much information, as I feel comfortable, in order to straighten this out. ... The only condition is that both of you have to be above the age of 35!

I believe NYB and I are almost exactly the same age, i.e., in the 44-48 range. In fact, he and I are both Ramones fans who probably bought their records as soon as they were released. (Am I right, NYB?) He looks older than I do, though. I could probably still pass for 37, if I dressed for it and did my hair just right... (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif)

Anyway, don't feel obliged - remember, you don't necessarily do yourself any favors by providing more details, even if we can safely assume that NYB and myself are both completely trustworthy.

How can I email you when I go to your profile and it says I cannot email you from this board? I then looked at your user page on Wikipedia, and there is no email listed.

You should be able to PM him (and me, natch) from here, and the board will send an e-mail notifying him that he's gotten a PM from you. The only things that would prevent that would be if he'd specifically blocked you from PM'ing him, which I wouldn't imagine he'd do, or if his PM folders are filled up, which is unlikely since we doubled the size of everyone's folders just last week...
+Quote Post
Janron

remember, you don't necessarily do yourself any favors by providing more details, even if we can safely assume that NYB and myself are both completely trustworthy.

Oh yeah, that helped relieve some of my paranoia! ;-p

You should be able to PM him (and me, natch) from here, and the board will send an e-mail notifying him that he's gotten a PM from you. The only things that would prevent that would be if he'd specifically blocked you from PM'ing him, which I wouldn't imagine he'd do, or if his PM folders are filled up, which is unlikely since we doubled the size of everyone's folders just last week...

Thank you. This is a very complicated issue regarding my friend. Perhaps by helping me with my recent attempt at registering a userID at Wikipedia, which first said I was an impersonator of an admin, then says I'm a sockpuppet of my deceased friend.

Also, I read somewhere that there should be a reason for a check-user to be done. I'd like to know why it was done in the first place, and how in the world it was justified to connect it to my friend as confirmed by FT2 at THAT!

BTW, I'm a woman. In addition to my 3 children and large husband -- we have 2 Great Danes, and a Rottweiler. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)

Now, I'm wondering if this is all worth it. But, it may affect me and mine on Wikipedia in the future, (even though I forbid my kids from using it because I think it's naughty. Yet, I know they use it anyway) so this may or will continue to add to this woman's rap sheet which is sad and incompetent on Wikipedia's part.

I guess I will PM NYB since he is an ArbCom member, but I have doubts. FT2 is an arbCom member, and it looks like he forwarded my email to the committee? But, there it is, still there, that I'm a "confirmed" sockpuppet of a dead person. *Sigh*

(I'm having problems with the quote markup here. Oops, there it is....finally worked.)

I'll think about what to do and say in later, because right now my Rotty is chewing on my arm and it's difficult to type.
+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

If your friend was a colleague at work, and you both connect to Wikipedia from the same workplace, then you may well have the same IP. So if she was blocked, that workplace IP would be flagged and anyone else at the same workplace would also be blocked.
+Quote Post
ThurstonHowell3rd

Since the general opinion on Wikipedia is that good behaviour can excuse bad behaviour, I think it would be best if this policy was formalized. For example, users with more than 5,000 edits may call editors with fewer edits "stupid" and editors with more than 10,000 edits may tell editors with fewer edits to "fuck off". Alternatively, the quota system could be used where every 1,000 edits entitles an editor to use one "fuck off". This scheme can be extended into real life where for example every 10,000 miles of accident few driving entitles the driver to one free speeding ticket.

In any functional hierarchy expectations for good behaviour increase as one goes up the hierarchy. Those in the hierarchy are supposed to serve as models of good behaviour for those beneath them. In Wikipedia this is reversed; some of the bad behaviour by administrators would never be tolerated by new editors. The behaviour expected of established editors and administrators should be higher than that tolerated by new editors.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)