FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Electric knife -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> Help

This subforum is for critical evaluation of Wikipedia articles. However, to reduce topic-bloat, please make note of exceptionally poor stubs, lists, and other less attention-worthy material in the Miscellaneous Grab Bag thread. Also, please be aware that agents of the Wikimedia Foundation might use your evaluations to improve the articles in question.

Useful Links: Featured Article CandidatesFeatured Article ReviewArticles for DeletionDeletion Review

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Electric knife, Hip and buttock padding
Emperor

Postmaster

Group: Regulars

This is the entirety of the Wikipedia "Electric knife" article.

QUOTE(Wikipedia "Electric Knife" @ 12/10/07)
An electric knife or electric carving knife is an electrical kitchen device used for slicing hard-to-slice foods. The advantage of an electric knife is less physical effort is required and it is easier to make cleaner slices. The device consists of two serrated blades that are clipped together. When the appliance is switched on the blades continuously move sideways to provide the sawing action.

They are also sometimes used for other purposes, such as shaping polyurethane foam rubber to make hip and buttock padding.

Electric knives are either corded or cordless.

Make sure you follow the link for "hip and buttock padding". Donors, are you listening?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
the fieryangel

the Internet Review Corporation is watching you...

Member No.: 577

QUOTE(Emperor @ Mon 10th December 2007, 5:23pm) *

An electric knife or electric carving knife is an electrical kitchen device used for slicing hard-to-slice foods. The advantage of an electric knife is less physical effort is required and it is easier to make cleaner slices. The device consists of two serrated blades that are clipped together. When the appliance is switched on the blades continuously move sideways to provide the sawing action.

They are also sometimes used for other purposes, such as shaping polyurethane foam rubber to make hip and buttock padding.

Make sure you follow the link for "hip and buttock padding". Donors, are you listening?

Hey, ya learn something useful on WP every day! Well, this isn't useful to me, personally, but hey! I'm sure that it's useful to some people.

I sort of like the idea that this information is on the article for "Electric knife". Who would have thought?? I mean, you can't make this stuff up, can you?

Keep up the good work, WP?
+Quote Post
Firsfron of Ronchester

Member No.: 1,715

QUOTE(Emperor @ Mon 10th December 2007, 9:23am) *

Jesus! Thanks for the laugh first thing in the morning, Emperor.
+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

Group: Contributors
Member No.: 3,670

What's all this hustle and bustle?
+Quote Post
the fieryangel

QUOTE(Moulton @ Mon 10th December 2007, 5:43pm) *

What's all this hustle and bustle?

Oh la la! The reverter got reverted by the POV pusher.

Apparently, this is highly relevant information to the topic of electric knives...

Oh my, is that an edit war I smell??
+Quote Post
GlassBeadGame

Dharma Bum

From: My name it means nothing. My age it means less. The country I come from is called the Mid-West.
Member No.: 981

QUOTE(Emperor @ Mon 10th December 2007, 11:23am) *

Donor's Blurb: Wikipedia's got back.
+Quote Post
Piperdown

Fat Cat

QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Tue 11th December 2007, 9:53pm) *

QUOTE(Emperor @ Mon 10th December 2007, 11:23am) *

Donor's Blurb: Wikipedia's got back.

i like....BIG WIKIBUTTS...and i cannot lie....you WR brothers cant deny...

and for the Jz Master G's in da house:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleavage_enhancement

...and for you heavy metal bass players in the house, just pull a derek smalls & stuff a cucumber down your trousers...Led Zep rocked london last night for the first time in 30 yrs so treat your pants to a big pickle enhancement...

This post has been edited by Piperdown:
+Quote Post
Firsfron of Ronchester

Member No.: 1,715

QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Tue 11th December 2007, 2:49pm) *

Oh la la! The reverter got reverted by the POV pusher.

Apparently, this is highly relevant information to the topic of electric knives...

Oh my, is that an edit war I smell??

Bwah! No, but look at the next edit!
+Quote Post
Emperor

Postmaster

QUOTE(Firsfron of Ronchester @ Tue 11th December 2007, 10:53pm) *

Bwah! No, but look at the next edit!

Dude, that's priceless! Come to WR, ZD Netman, and you will be honored as one of us.
+Quote Post
Selina

Cat herder

Group: Staffy

Krimpet read this topic then went and wiped it (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
the fieryangel

QUOTE(Selina @ Wed 12th December 2007, 9:48am) *

Krimpet read this topic then went and wiped it (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/wink.gif)

Sheez, and it was sourced and everything!

(I had a PM from a source who prefers to remain anonymous about this....I wonder if it was because of those blood stains in his bedroom??)

Hey, now the "hip and buttocks" business is back, but this time there's a reference :

Kalina Isato. ''Lower Torso Enhancement'', TransVamp Publications Ltd, 2000. ISBN none

Hmm, I'm sure that all of us probably have many fine books in our libraries published by TransVamp Publications, so this is obvious a WP:RS, right?

It seems to me that dismembering one's spouse is as relevant to the article as this is....Oh, yes, I forgot :

Wikipedia is not censored!

Well, that explains everything!

This post has been edited by the fieryangel:
+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

Member No.: 3,670

Somebody is demonstrating how to use an electric knife to slice up those turkeys.
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(Selina @ Wed 12th December 2007, 3:48am) *

Don't forget how he whitewashed his User Talk page.

So, now the electric knife page has no external reference link, lush descriptions of a fairly peculiar usage for an electric knife, a cited book "source" that doesn't even have an ISBN number, and a Wikipediot who replaces constructive criticism with smiley faces.

Jimbo's really got his hippy-trippy, wikilove robots fully programmed, doesn't he?

Greg

This post has been edited by thekohser:
+Quote Post
Emperor

Postmaster

It's too bad it all can't stay because the electric knife article has everything: power tools, buttock padding, murder, and trannies. We could write an episode of Nip/Tuck with this stuff.
+Quote Post
dogbiscuit

Could you run through Verifiability not Truth once more?

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,015

"continuously move sideways"

Is that why you can never find the damn thing after you've used it? ...and I've never found a chicken particularly "hard to slice". Indeed, the only useful factual information in that article is the hip and buttock padding.

Thank goodness for the many eyes of Wikipedia ensuring wrong information will soon be deleted.

I think electric knives are like ArbCom, sounds useful, but once you've tried it, count your fingers carefully - and what a racket that goes with it!
+Quote Post
jorge

Postmaster

Group: On Vacation

They're quite popular in Germany.
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Wed 12th December 2007, 12:42pm) *

...and I've never found a chicken particularly "hard to slice".

Agreed that it's overkill to electrically slice a chicken, but let me tell you -- a turkey's succulence is vastly improved by cutting wafer-thin slices using an electric carving knife. Many thanks to my brother-in-law for toting his electric knife over to our house on Thanksgiving Day. It was a stupendous experience, and I myself was an "electric doubter" prior to that day.

QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Wed 12th December 2007, 12:42pm) *
Indeed, the only useful factual information in that article is the hip and buttock padding.

The external link that was destroyed by Krimpet's meddling actually contained a nice bit of information about the pros and cons (and care of) electric knives. I'm still undecided on whether the information about using these knives to partition corpses was helpful to the encyclopedia, but it was certainly as helpful as or more helpful than the business about hip and buttock padding.

I mean, if we're going to talk about using the knives in these unusual fashions, why not get 'em all in there? There's apparently an application in the varied fields of foam wedding cake models, chicken 'n fruit pinwheels, sawing off dead foot tissue, and oatmeal carmelitas -- to name just a few!

I thought Wikipedia is supposed to be the "sum of human knowledge", isn't it?

It's more like a "Jimbo's crazy collection of transgender and transvestism nuggets o' knowledge".

Krimpet really should receive a 24-hour block, since he's clearly disrupting the encyclopedia project with his WP:OR.

Greg
+Quote Post
dogbiscuit

Could you run through Verifiability not Truth once more?

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,015

QUOTE(thekohser @ Wed 12th December 2007, 7:22pm) *

It was a stupendous experience, and I myself was an "electric doubter" prior to that day.

The sight of my 85 year old father wielding one made me a non-believer for evermore (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/ohmy.gif)
+Quote Post
thekohser

So, how would one classify Krimpet, based on this outcome?

Here, we have a clear, well-defined example of a Wikipedia article being made decidedly worse by an admin, and then a critic trying to improve the article is reverted, then indefinitely blocked (for "vandalism").

If User:ZD Netman's contributions are defined as vandalism, then I emphatically support "vandalizing" Wikipedia.

Krimpet needs to go. Definitely doesn't know two whits about writing a reputable encyclopedia. Knows far too much about playing the anti-WR game. He needs to go.

Greg
+Quote Post
Emperor

Postmaster

I think it's hilarious that now we're days later and they're still fighting to keep the article exactly the way it was, and in addition the Transvamp Publications book has been added as the sole reference. You can be sure by this point that hundreds of people from the Wikipedia community have looked at it, but they can't fix it because they're all afraid of crossing an admin.

This goes to prove that Wikipedia is not self-correcting as advertised. We have a clear case of article quality starting bad, and then deteriorating even after members of the community became aware of it.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)