FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
BADSITES Goes Global -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> BADSITES Goes Global, Meta-Wikimedia Spam Badlist
Rating  2
Jon Awbrey

τὰ δέ μοι παθήματα μαθήματα γέγονε

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 5,619

Members of the Review who are casting about for Wider Horizons of Social Concern than the question of how much lint they can excavate from Poetaster's multitude of mutant belly buttons might just cast a glance at the latest reincarnation of the BADSITES Gestapo, in the new, improved, global family size:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Spam Blacklist

PC conscientious type that I am, I personally regard the term "blacklist" as embodying a subtle form of no doubt unconscious culturally conditioned racism, so I prefer to use the term "badlist" instead.

Yes, we all know that there really is such a thing as SPAM, that is, "unsolicited, typically automated mass mailing or posting".

But Wikipediots, as we know, have a BADHABIT of stretching the scope of just about any pejorative term you might name to include any person or thing that any one of their Cabalcade deigns to disfavor for any reason or lack of reason whatever.

And when it's Guy Chapman doing the dishonors, well, every BADWORD in his WP Dicktionary means pretty much the same thing — "WAAAAAH, Guyie No Likie".

Jon (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/cool.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
The Joy

I am a millipede! I am amazing!

Group: Members
Member No.: 982

Didn't Raul654 put WR on the blacklist long ago?

I really don't see the problem with your userpage links, Jon. To me, if I were on Wikipedia, it would show that I was working with a competent person with knowledge and experience. I don't see you selling anything or trying to shamelessly promote yourself.
+Quote Post
Eva Destruction

Fat Cat

Group: Regulars

QUOTE(The Joy @ Mon 8th September 2008, 4:21am) *

I really don't see the problem with your userpage links, Jon. To me, if I were on Wikipedia, it would show that I was working with a competent person with knowledge and experience. I don't see you selling anything or trying to shamelessly promote yourself.

I've certainly added many, many links to WR in assorted discussions and have never had any trouble for doing so, as long as there's a legitimate reason for it.
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

QUOTE(The Joy @ Sun 7th September 2008, 11:21pm) *

I guess we will see whether Meta.Wikimedia has any order of adult supervision, and whether they agree with you — in which case it's just the Usual Loose Cannon shooting off his Wiki-Peashooter one more time — or whether they will be badgered into submission to Guy Chapman's spontaneous generation of ad hoc policies to canonize whatever the devil he feels like doing to whom on a given day.

+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Sun 7th September 2008, 11:24pm) *

QUOTE(The Joy @ Mon 8th September 2008, 4:21am) *

I've certainly added many, many links to WR in assorted discussions and have never had any trouble for doing so, as long as there's a legitimate reason for it.

Lest we fade away into the background radiation of omnipresent if ever-pressing generalities … I am pressently trying to call AT-TEN-SHUN! to a few new wrinkles in the old theme of BADSITES Censorship.
  • Wrinkle 1 is the fact that censorship has now gone global, with a force and on a scale never before imagined before the advent of Global Account Unified Logging (WMF:GAUL).
  • Wrinkle 2 is that — We Are Talkin Bout User Pages Here, Folks! — pages that have by dint of long tradition accommodated WMF's hard-working slave, er, volunteer contributors with their individual carrels, cells, cubicles, or other sorts of office space, where people have so far been permitted a Full Reasonable Exercise (FRE) of FREEDOM in the choice of decorations, desk contents, framed and mounted butterfly collections, pet pixies, potted plants, wallpaper, wall posters, and other personal items.
There are other Wrinkles, but I haven't had coffee yet, and someone confiscated my desktop Mr. Java, so I have to go hunting for a vending machine somewhere.

This post has been edited by Jon Awbrey:
+Quote Post
Random832

meh

I don't agree with the reaction to your userpages, but I think there is not really any connection to BADSITES.

This post has been edited by Random832:
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

QUOTE(Random832 @ Mon 8th September 2008, 9:59am) *

I don't agree with the reaction to your userpages, but I think there is not really any connection to BADSITES.

The connection is the type of mechanism that is being used to censor links, to wit, an automatic filter that globally blocks the use of a particular link on any WMF page. With the advent of Global Account Unfied Logging (WMF:GAUL), this means that we are talking about Global blocking with a capital G.

Since these are absolutely innocuous links that a user placed on his own User Page, not a bit out of line with the personal data that users all over WMF sites place on their user pages, not to mention the user pages of the very accusers here, all of this personal harassment is only a hair's breadth away from Global Blocking of user accounts — based on utterly trivial pretexts.

+Quote Post
thekohser

I know all about BADSITES and Spam:

#Wikipedia Review..._Again

#Centiare.2FWikipedia Review_update

#User_Talk_pages

#Wikipedia Review.com_spam_articles

#Company_offering_vanity_articles_commercially.3F

Some of those are actually quite informative to read, and to see how off-base Wikipediots can be.
+Quote Post
Random832

meh

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Mon 8th September 2008, 2:14pm) *

The connection is the type of mechanism that is being used to censor links, to wit, an automatic filter that globally blocks the use of a particular link on any WMF page.

This mechanism has never successfully been used in furtherance of a BADSITES-type agenda to my knowledge.

This post has been edited by Random832:
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

QUOTE(Random832 @ Mon 8th September 2008, 11:07am) *

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Mon 8th September 2008, 2:14pm) *

The connection is the type of mechanism that is being used to censor links, to wit, an automatic filter that globally blocks the use of a particular link on any WMF page.

This mechanism has never successfully been used in furtherance of a BADSITES-type agenda to my knowledge.

Please read the material at the following locations so that we'll both know what I'm talking about before it's too late for everybody:
  1. meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Log&page=User:Jon_Awbrey
  2. meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Spam_blacklist#Jon_Awbrey_and_JonAwbrey
The News Item Of Interest here is that pejorative terms like Cross-Wiki Vandalism, Shameless Self-Promotion, Vanity Spam, and so on are being used — in defiance of the Normal Usage of those terms in the Real World — as shallow pretexts for harassing users in International Wiki-Waters.

Now I don't know for sure if url-filters have "successfully been used in futherance of a BADSITES-type agenda" — since I'm not completely positive what that agenda was in the first place — but if the agenda was to abuse, blockade, brow-beat, harass, harry, intimidate, stalk, and generally waylay WMF users who happened to get on the wrong side of Da Cabal at one time or another, then I would have to say that false arrest, false charges, false prosecution, falsified records, false testimony, false witness, falsely applied BADWORDS, and url-filters have quite "successfully been used in furtherance of a BADSITES-type agenda".

+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

Gomi, HK, Somey, Calling All Mods —

Could you pretty please move this topic to the Meta-Discussion Forum so I can split off the Off-Topic parts and maybe fix the title so as not to give folks the BADIDEA?

Not sure why I try starting a topic of General Interest under General Discussion any more, but maybe I'll eventually learn not to do that.

Thanks Again,

+Quote Post
thekohser

The folks who try to police "self-promotional spam" on User pages are really too easy to PWND.

No mercy.
+Quote Post
The Joy

I am a millipede! I am amazing!

Group: Members
Member No.: 982

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Mon 8th September 2008, 3:36pm) *

Gomi, HK, Somey, Calling All Mods —

Could you pretty please move this topic to the Meta-Discussion Forum so I can split off the Off-Topic parts and maybe fix the title so as not to give folks the BADIDEA?

Not sure why I try starting a topic of General Interest under General Discussion any more, but maybe I'll eventually learn not to do that.

Thanks Again,

Mod Note: Done. Sorry for the tardiness. -The Joy
+Quote Post
Random832

meh

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Mon 8th September 2008, 1:44pm) *

[*]Wrinkle 1 is the fact that censorship has now gone global, with a force and on a scale never before imagined before the advent of Global Account Unified Logging (WMF:GAUL).

The SBL has existed for years; though I suppose it wasn't an issue until it affected you (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/ph34r.gif)

[*]Wrinkle 2 is that — We Are Talkin Bout User Pages Here, Folks! — pages that have by dint of long tradition accommodated WMF's hard-working slave, er, volunteer contributors with their individual carrels, cells, cubicles, or other sorts of office space, where people have so far been permitted a Full Reasonable Exercise (FRE) of FREEDOM in the choice of decorations, desk contents, framed and mounted butterfly collections, pet pixies, potted plants, wallpaper, wall posters, and other personal items.

(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif) You seem to have missed the userbox wars of 2006.
+Quote Post
thekohser

Oh my God. Mike Lifeguard has got to be kidding, right?
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 8th September 2008, 3:43pm) *

The folks who try to police "self-promotional spam" on User pages are really too easy to PWND.

No mercy.

Yes, that order of Self-Promotion is Genuwhinely Shameful — but you have to sympathize a little, as those guys, er, dudes have an Absolutely Horrendous BakLog of work to do fighting the good fight against Demon Vanity on WMF sites.

So here is what I think — we really ought to be good Meta*Citizens and help them out.

E-nouncing the formation of the End Self-Promation Now! (ESPN?) Task Force !!!

There's a little commented-out template at the top of that section for reporting userpage link abuse.

Here's my yeoman college try at removing the first straw from the camel's baklog:

meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Talk:Spam Badlist#JzG

+Quote Post
thekohser

I had a feeling Elonka might be a dude.
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 8th September 2008, 4:39pm) *

Oh my God. Mike Lifeguard has got to be kidding, right?

Oh, I am sure that Lifeguard and Spacebirdy and all the rest are perfectly serious. They are never satsified with small hypocrisies but have go Whole Hog Hyper-Hypocrisy every time.

+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

Mike The Lifeguard Throws The Wiki-Book At Me!

Mike's "Justification" for Deleting My Entire User Page, and My Reply —

Please do not link so excessively on your userpage; you have been warned previously of this issue. — Mike.lifeguard 19:11, 8 September 2008 (UTC)

• Mike, the content that I placed on my User Page was a fairly standard sort of web vita, designed to serve as a self-introduction, and it is no way, shape, or form reasonable to describe it as "self-promotion", "SPAM", or "vanity spam" in any way that might constitute a Conflict Of Interest (COI) with the mission of this project. It is not very nice to use pejorative terms like that to describe a thoroughly innocuous and friendly introduction to a user's potentially relevant interests and background. And it is not a good thing to use those terms in ways that depart so far from their ordinary and technical usage, as this tends to give other people reading what you wrote the wrong idea.

• Now, I asked you before to show me the Terms of Service or Generally Acknowledged Community Standard that would prohibit the inclusion of such a self-introduction on my User Page, and you did not do so. Indeed, it is fairly clear from looking around WMF sites that there can be no such Standard, unless you use that to mean a "Rule" that just about everyone, including yourself, ignores. But it is hardly Fair to apply a "Rule" to selected individuals when the same "Rule" does not apply to everyone. JonAwbrey (talk) 03:00, 9 September 2008 (UTC)

+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

Because Some People Have So Much Trouble Reading Plain Anglish …

Mr. Lifeguard, given your acknowledgement that the material in question is not "SPAM", I think that further discussion on this so-called "spam blacklist" page is no longer relevant. So I would like to request, once again, that you remove the listing of my usual Internet names from this page. Thanks in advance, JonAwbrey 17:03, 9 September 2008 (UTC)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)