FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Stephanie Abrams -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> Discussions in this subforum are hidden from search engines.

However, they are not hidden from automobile engines, including the newer, more "environmentally-friendly" electric and hybrid engines. Also, please note that this subforum is meant to be used for discussion of the actual biographical articles themselves; more generalized discussions of BLP policy should be posted in the General Discussion or Bureaucracy forums.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Stephanie Abrams, The Weather Channel's Jewish scientist
thekohser

Group: Regulars

Weather Channel meteorologist Stephanie Abrams is a Jew, according to Wikipedia, but (as far as I can tell) not according to any reliable source in the world.

Her Jewish roots were hinted at by this IP editor, who also made her a year older. But, attending a Jewish youth camp doesn't make you a full-on Jew until this IP editor makes you an "American Jew". You get a bit more specific when this IP editor declares that you're a "Jewish American scientist".

Now, I'm not saying Ms. Abrams isn't Jewish. But, I am saying it is extremely unlikely that her religious/ethnic background has ever been given serious attention by the news media.

This sounds like the perfect article subject situation, tailor-made for Jimbo. Could someone please post this on his Talk page, to find out if he feels Wikipedia IP editors (in this case) are carefully following the BLP policy?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

I have as much free time as a Wikipedia admin!

QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 27th December 2010, 8:48am) *

Weather Channel meteorologist Stephanie Abrams is a Jew, according to Wikipedia, but (as far as I can tell) not according to any reliable source in the world.

Sephardic or Ashkenazi? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/evilgrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Infomercial

Group: Contributors

This sounds like the perfect article subject situation, tailor-made for Jimbo. Could someone please post this on his Talk page, to find out if he feels Wikipedia IP editors (in this case) are carefully following the BLP policy?

Done. I'd also like to add that the fact that they used a Twitter post to confirm rubbish not even mentioned in the post disgusts me. It's things like this that puts Wikipedia on the hot seat for lack of BLP moderation in the first place. I seriously hope something happens about it soon, because I can't afford to see another person maligned by their incompetence.
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

Known alias of J. Random Troll

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Mon 27th December 2010, 9:55am) *

Sephardic or Ashkenazi? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/evilgrin.gif)

With a name like Abrams, how could she possibly be a Jew?

Stephanie Zimbalist-- remember her? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/evilgrin.gif) Daddy Efrem Zimbalist, Jr. The F.B.I. .... Duh DUH, DAH DUH! duh de duh, DEE DA DUH.
+Quote Post
It's the blimp, Frank

Ãœber Member

Hello mods -- BLP forum?
+Quote Post
gomi

Group: Members

QUOTE(It's the blimp, Frank @ Mon 27th December 2010, 12:23pm) *
Hello mods -- BLP forum?

Done.
+Quote Post
gomi

Group: Members

QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 27th December 2010, 5:48am) *
This sounds like the perfect article subject situation, tailor-made for Jimbo.

Actually, alert Jayjg (T-C-L-K-R-D) . He is a rabid opponent of "yellow-badging". It is interesting to watch the fights between editors who list people as Jewish out of pride and those, like Jayjg, who relentlessly delete that information, perhaps from (historically justified) fear of persecution. There is no equivalent argument among (e.g.) Irish-Americans or Polish-Americans or most other religious, national, or ethnic groups.
+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

I think it should be removed and the biography either semi-protected or placed under Pending Changes.--Jimbo Wales (talk) 19:45, 27 December 2010 (UTC)

Isn't it amazing, when any of us clicks our heels together, nothing happens.
But when Jimbo does it, there's always a butt-nozzle ready and waiting.
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

QUOTE(gomi @ Mon 27th December 2010, 1:38pm) *

QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 27th December 2010, 5:48am) *
This sounds like the perfect article subject situation, tailor-made for Jimbo.

Actually, alert Jayjg (T-C-L-K-R-D) . He is a rabid opponent of "yellow-badging". It is interesting to watch the fights between editors who list people as Jewish out of pride and those, like Jayjg, who relentlessly delete that information, perhaps from (historically justified) fear of persecution. There is no equivalent argument among (e.g.) Irish-Americans or Polish-Americans or most other religious, national, or ethnic groups.

Yes. And ultimately, "yellow-badging" (his major obscessive interest) is what sank Poetlister on WP. He'd have done okay, otherwise. Or at least lasted a lot longer. The List of British Jews was what kept getting his socks checkusered on WP (about 4 of them appeared there), and when enough of the pieces came together, wha-boom, the game was up.

And without that, I wonder if we'd even have caught him on WR? Sure, we had the faked female photos, but we had nothing to hang them on without the massive WP investigations related to the Runcorn sockfarm. We'd have ended up banning Taxwoman on WR, maybe, and that's it.

Some of you with better memories might want to comment on my alternative reality WHAT IF scenario. What if MB hadn't been obscessed with lists of Jews, and got on the badside of SV and Jayjg that way?

And don't say "Well, what if your moma had wheels? Would she then be a bicycle?" This MB thing could have happened. It was an counting/categorizing obscession MB didn't have to have. He could have had some others (and did have many others).
+Quote Post
Infomercial

QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Mon 27th December 2010, 3:54pm) *

I think it should be removed and the biography either semi-protected or placed under Pending Changes.--Jimbo Wales (talk) 19:45, 27 December 2010 (UTC)

Sweet! I made a difference! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/applause.gif) (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/applause.gif) (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/applause.gif)
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

QUOTE(Infomercial @ Mon 27th December 2010, 3:02pm) *

Sweet! I made a difference! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/applause.gif) (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/applause.gif) (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/applause.gif)

Proxy butt nozzling by offsite suggestion. You must be so proud.
+Quote Post
Infomercial

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Mon 27th December 2010, 5:03pm) *

Proxy buttt nozzling by offsite suggestion. You must be so proud.

Proxy butt nozzling? What are you talking about?
+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

QUOTE(Infomercial @ Mon 27th December 2010, 2:38pm) *
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Mon 27th December 2010, 5:03pm) *
Proxy buttt nozzling by offsite suggestion. You must be so proud.
Proxy butt nozzling? What are you talking about?

(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/evilgrin.gif)

This post has been edited by EricBarbour:
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(Infomercial @ Mon 27th December 2010, 5:02pm) *

Well, your job is not yet complete. Now, you need to go back to Jimbo's page and confess that you plagiarized the entire query from Gregory Kohs, a user that Jimmy has expressly banned from all Wikimedia projects, so how does he now feel about the biography?

(Is it generally your practice to copy other people's work as your own, then applaud yourself for it?)
+Quote Post
Doc glasgow

Wikipedia:The Sump of All Human Knowledge

Member No.: 90

I've removed the Camp Judea bit as lacking any sourcing - Goggle shows up nothing credible either.
+Quote Post
Infomercial

QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 27th December 2010, 10:35pm) *

QUOTE(Infomercial @ Mon 27th December 2010, 5:02pm) *

Well, your job is not yet complete. Now, you need to go back to Jimbo's page and confess that you plagiarized the entire query from Gregory Kohs, a user that Jimmy has expressly banned from all Wikimedia projects, so how does he now feel about the biography?

(Is it generally your practice to copy other people's work as your own, then applaud yourself for it?)

Oh, my. I feel like a dick now. I didn't mean to leave your name out of it, but I'm also deathly afraid of being accused of meatpuppeting from someone of such high distinction. The applause thing was just a joke, though. I know relaying the information to Jimbo holds no weight against gathering the information in the first place. If you still want me to complete the job, I'll happily do so.
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

QUOTE(Doc glasgow @ Tue 28th December 2010, 5:10am) *

I've removed the Camp Judea bit as lacking any sourcing - Goggle shows up nothing credible either.

What about Camp Grenada?

It occurs to me that the ability to play the game of Jew/Not-a-Jew is just one of the many benefits of having semi-notable BLPs on Wikipedia.

Hmmm. If Jews make up 2% of the population of the US, I wonder what proportion of BLPs of Americans are tagged as Jewish-Americans? The world wonders.

Paul Newman is half Jewish
And Goldie Hawn is too...
Put them both together and you get
One fine-looking Jew!

-- Adam Sandler
+Quote Post
Malik Shabazz

Member No.: 25,765

QUOTE(Doc glasgow @ Tue 28th December 2010, 7:10am) *

My gut tells me that the IP who added it is someone who attended Young Judea with Abrams.

This post has been edited by Malik Shabazz:
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(Malik Shabazz @ Tue 28th December 2010, 5:53pm) *

My gut tells me that the IP who added it is someone who attended Young Judea with Abrams.

Original research, then. Verboten.

QUOTE(Infomercial @ Tue 28th December 2010, 12:32pm) *

Oh, my. I feel like a dick now. I didn't mean to leave your name out of it, but I'm also deathly afraid of being accused of meatpuppeting from someone of such high distinction. The applause thing was just a joke, though. I know relaying the information to Jimbo holds no weight against gathering the information in the first place. If you still want me to complete the job, I'll happily do so.

Yes, please... finish the job. Jimbo needs to know that he's addressing the concerns of a "troll" that he himself "banned".
+Quote Post
Infomercial

QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 28th December 2010, 10:54pm) *

QUOTE(Infomercial @ Tue 28th December 2010, 12:32pm) *

Yes, please... finish the job. Jimbo needs to know that he's addressing the concerns of a "troll" that he himself "banned".

Alright. I'm not sure what Jim is capable of yet, so I did word it kind of ambiguously, but I tried to incorporate everything you asked of me, and hope to get a response that satisfies both of us, if possible.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)