FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Articles that you don't expect NOT to be in Wikipedia -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> Help

This subforum is for critical evaluation of Wikipedia articles. However, to reduce topic-bloat, please make note of exceptionally poor stubs, lists, and other less attention-worthy material in the Miscellaneous Grab Bag thread. Also, please be aware that agents of the Wikimedia Foundation might use your evaluations to improve the articles in question.

Useful Links: Featured Article CandidatesFeatured Article ReviewArticles for DeletionDeletion Review

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Articles that you don't expect NOT to be in Wikipedia
thekohser

Group: Regulars

Just a thread to add those subjects where you fully expect there would have been a Wikipedia article about it, but there isn't.

Bob Welch songs:

* Sentimental Lady

* Hypnotized (the one made famous by Fleetwood Mac) (not this garbage)

Musical group:

* The Ebonys

Law firm:

* Jackson Lewis (over 500 attorneys)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
The Joy

I am a millipede! I am amazing!

Group: Members
Member No.: 982

Gottlob Espenlaub

*Gottlob Espenlaub (T-H-L-K-D) (nothing there!)
+Quote Post
Firsfron of Ronchester

Member No.: 1,715

I was quite surprised there was not only no article on the NTA Film Network (T-H-L-K-D), there actually was no mention of it, anywhere on Wikipedia (I remedied that last month). Wikipedia's strength is usually in pop culture, so you'd expect some sort of mention of a network with over 100 local stations and a television series which won an early Peabody Award.
+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

That's a good one. Espenlaub was a somewhat important figure in German aviation.
I've got a book about it, it mentions Espenlaub as a coworker with Lippisch.

I wonder...was there a bio about him on WP in the past, that someone deleted for
bizarre/no reason? Or perhaps because of his involvement with some nasty secret
Nazi projects during the war?

Anyway, he made bitchin' cars.
(IMG:http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss273/metasonix/es15.jpg)
+Quote Post
Casliber

Cool! More DYKs a-coming...~~~~
+Quote Post
Lar

"His blandness goes to 11!"

Member No.: 4,290

QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Tue 26th May 2009, 12:04am) *

That's a good one. Espenlaub was a somewhat important figure in German aviation.
I've got a book about it, it mentions Espenlaub as a coworker with Lippisch.

I wonder...was there a bio about him on WP in the past, that someone deleted for
bizarre/no reason? Or perhaps because of his involvement with some nasty secret
Nazi projects during the war?

Anyway, he made bitchin' cars.
(IMG:http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss273/metasonix/es15.jpg)

Those post war ones are nice (the one in back looks vaguely jag-etype-ish to me) but the prewar streamliners are very cool (for some reason they reminded me of Zeros due to the way the windows were done).

I agree, this is the sort of bio that one would think WP would have.
+Quote Post
Guido den Broeder

* Myalgic encephalomyelitis

Then again, its absence is rather exactly what one would expect.

* Might and Magic Tribute

Could well be the longest running computer game fan project that is still making progress.

This post has been edited by Guido den Broeder:
+Quote Post
CharlotteWebb

Postmaster General

QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 26th May 2009, 3:04am) *

* Hypnotized (the one made famous by Fleetwood Mac) (not this garbage)

Greg, I'd nominate this as the most surprisingly constructive WR thread of the year. It seems like a dream.

I've been keeping a similar list of glaring omissions, mostly in plain sight. My favorite observation so far is that WP has no article discussing the interpretations of the notorious "wheel inside a wheel" mentioned in the book of Ezekiel.

I'm almost sure von Däniken speculated that the iron chariots of Canaan were fitted with wheels inside wheels, but I can't find a source for this. Apparently he's still alive so there exists an outside chance that I could contact him and get a statement to this effect, maybe an autograph too! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif)

Next on my list is Simón Radowitzky. I know bat-shit revolutionaries in latin america are a dime a dozen, but this guy was unique being from the Ukraine. He already has a WP article in German, Spanish, and Polish, but not in English.

Despite this the enwiki project still maintains the same air of cultish superiority which leaves ignorant readers and editors believing that la lingua anglofonica leads the wikisphere on every front and is very close to complete.
+Quote Post
zvook

Group: Contributors

QUOTE(CharlotteWebb @ Tue 26th May 2009, 4:55pm) *

editors believing that la lingua anglofonica leads the wikisphere on every front and is very close to complete.

There's little doubt a WP functioning properly would still be in its growth phase even by the lights of the systemic bias of contributors. I have a stack of such articles, but I'm not sure what the point of this thread is except for

QUOTE(Casliber @ Tue 26th May 2009, 7:30am) *

Cool! More DYKs a-coming...~~~~

Edit: Now with added growth phase

This post has been edited by zvook:
+Quote Post
Eva Destruction

Fat Cat

QUOTE(Guido den Broeder @ Tue 26th May 2009, 4:32pm) *

Myalgic encephalomyelitis. The editor with the highest number of edits to it is, er, you.
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

I have as much free time as a Wikipedia admin!

There is no article on the 1974 film version of Simon Gray's "Butley," which was directed by Harold Pinter and starred Alan Bates and Jessica Tandy. That's quite a pop culture gap.
+Quote Post
CharlotteWebb

Postmaster General

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Tue 26th May 2009, 5:26pm) *

There is no article on the 1974 film version of Simon Gray's "Butley," which was directed by Harold Pinter and starred Alan Bates and Jessica Tandy. That's quite a pop culture gap.

I don't know if anybody else is familiar with a TV network called "This" (seriously), and they don't quite have access to the Ted Turner vault, but they do play a lot of old B-thru-Z-movies I had never heard of. Among the ones I recall watching, most of them lack a WP article.

It might be blaxploitation week right now. Yesterday I watched Slaughter starring former football player Jim Brown, and Miami Cops (which more like an urban spaghetti western) starring whatsizname who played Shaft.

Fascinating stuff, but where are the wiki-pages? Everybody keeps saying "pop culture" is WP's strong suit... well I pity the fool!
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

Known alias of J. Random Troll

QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Tue 26th May 2009, 9:45am) *

Myalgic encephalomyelitis. The editor with the highest number of edits to it is, er, you.

Yes, and Guido is spinning it as a giant WP conspiracy, when it in fact it really must be spun as a Canada vs. (UK and US) conspiracy, since the UK and US definitions don't recognize "myalgic encephalomyelitis." Worse still the "consensus document" from Canada about ME is symptom-driven: objective tests are not needed criteria. This is despite what you'll read on ME websites which claim that there are objective tests for ME. Even Canada recognizes none. So much for THAT consensus.

Beware any document labeled "consensus." That word means there is no consensus, else there would have been no reason to create the document and try to force one. There certainly is none here.

As for the giant conspiracy which covers up something that the WHO believed in, in 1969, well, science moves on. Once upon a time we didn't believe in continental drift, either. Even the guy who first came up with the serious idea for it, had no mechanism. If the mechanism was THAT obvious, how come Wegener didn't propose it? Answer: because it wasn't so obvious. That's progress. Once somebody had the mechanism, it was accepted.

We're still waiting for the mechanism of "chronic fatigue." Until it arrives, it will not be accepted science, no matter how many Canadians whine and demand consensus from the rest of the medical world.
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

QUOTE(CharlotteWebb @ Tue 26th May 2009, 1:41pm) *

I don't know if anybody else is familiar with a TV network called "This" (seriously), and they don't quite have access to the Ted Turner vault, but they do play a lot of old B-thru-Z-movies I had never heard of. Among the ones I recall watching, most of them lack a WP article.

It might be blaxploitation week right now. Yesterday I watched Slaughter starring former football player Jim Brown, and Miami Cops (which more like an urban spaghetti western) starring whatsizname who played Shaft.

Fascinating stuff, but where are the wiki-pages? Everybody keeps saying "pop culture" is WP's strong suit... well I pity the fool!

There is a guy on WP with the moniker of Lugnuts who spends too much time filling in gaps for obscure films. He is one of the better under-the-radar editors out there.
+Quote Post
CharlotteWebb

Postmaster General

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Tue 26th May 2009, 6:19pm) *

There is a guy on WP with the moniker of Lugnuts who spends too much time filling in gaps for obscure films. He is one of the better under-the-radar editors out there.

I should make him a customized barnstar and a tire iron to go with it.
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

QUOTE(CharlotteWebb @ Tue 26th May 2009, 3:06pm) *

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Tue 26th May 2009, 6:19pm) *

I should make him a customized barnstar and a tire iron to go with it.

Really, you (or someone here) should nominate him for adminship. Unlike the Xeno or Guy Chapman types who do absolutely nothing of value, someone like Lugnuts is a real Net positive who is actually improving content without drama or error.
+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Tue 26th May 2009, 12:12pm) *
Really, you (or someone here) should nominate him for adminship. Unlike the Xeno or Guy Chapman types who do absolutely nothing of value, someone like Lugnuts is a real Net positive who is actually improving content without drama or error.

Yep, all he's got to show for 3 years of hard work are a few BSes. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/yecch.gif)

That's another charming feature of WP: the slimy backstabbing bastards get all the power and attention,
while hardworking editors get nothing but a few thank-yous. (Just like real life.)
+Quote Post
Guido den Broeder

QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Tue 26th May 2009, 6:45pm) *

Hmm, that is CFS, not ME.
Not that my edits on that article helped, all 217 of them were reverted by the NHS during their case at the UK High Court.

This post has been edited by Guido den Broeder:
+Quote Post
Guido den Broeder

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Tue 26th May 2009, 7:49pm) *
Yes, and Guido is spinning it as a giant WP conspiracy, when it in fact it really must be spun as a Canada vs. (UK and US) conspiracy, since the UK and US definitions don't recognize "myalgic encephalomyelitis." Worse still the "consensus document" from Canada about ME is symptom-driven: objective tests are not needed criteria. This is despite what you'll read on ME websites which claim that there are objective tests for ME. Even Canada recognizes none. So much for THAT consensus.

I take it that you have not actually read the document. The Canadian consensus definition of ME/CFS (i.e. not of ME or CFS separately!) includes a protocol that describes what research needs to be done. The old Fukuda and Holmes definitions for CFS (we now have Reeves, that is 10 times as many patients) also explicitly state that patients need to be thoroughly medically examined. Obviously, no CFS definition recognizes ME, just like no definition of cancer or of a bicycle does. ME definitions recognize ME. There are UK (Ramsay) and Canadian (Hyde) definitions of ME.

As for the giant conspiracy which covers up something that the WHO believed in, in 1969, well, science moves on.

It certainly does. Wikipedia otoh only moves backwards.

We're still waiting for the mechanism of "chronic fatigue."

The mechanism of chronic fatigue is well known and has been for quite some time, in part thanks to ME researchers like Behan.
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Tue 26th May 2009, 4:55pm) *

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Tue 26th May 2009, 12:12pm) *

Yep, all he's got to show for 3 years of hard work are a few BSes. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/yecch.gif)

That's another charming feature of WP: the slimy backstabbing bastards get all the power and attention,
while hardworking editors get nothing but a few thank-yous. (Just like real life.)

Oh, you are following the Majorly RfA, too? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Tue 26th May 2009, 7:08pm) *
Oh, you are following the Majorly RfA, too? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif)

Yep, and it's just increasing my cynicism to boilover levels.

Does he really think all this will be forgiven? Or has he been butt-kissing
for months, in preparation for his triumphant return to the Fold of Glory? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/yecch.gif)

Hmm, looks like the ultimate atrocity might come to pass.
Vote right now is 45-10-3.

I've long and vaguely suspected that Alex had a slight Wiki-whoring asshole complex.
After seeing this, I'm SURE of it. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/angry.gif)
+Quote Post
The Joy

(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/offtopic.gif)
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Wed 27th May 2009, 12:25am) *

I've long and vaguely suspected that Alex had a slight Wiki-whoring asshole complex.

Sucks-up to be him. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif) (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/sad.gif) (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/yecch.gif)

Hilarious that he asked me what I was doing wasting my time, here. Back at you, Alex. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Wed 27th May 2009, 3:25am) *

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Tue 26th May 2009, 7:08pm) *

Yep, and it's just increasing my cynicism to boilover levels.

Does he really think all this will be forgiven? Or has he been butt-kissing
for months, in preparation for his triumphant return to the Fold of Glory? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/yecch.gif)

Hmm, looks like the ultimate atrocity might come to pass.
Vote right now is 45-10-3.

Champagne time for you, Eric...the RfA is at 67%. Barring a St. Jude intervention, I suspect Alex won't be mopping up Wikipedia for another six months.

This post has been edited by A Horse With No Name:
+Quote Post
Sarcasticidealist

Head exploded.

Member No.: 4,536

I was surprised to see that there's no article for Scotty (Bulldog) Olson, a pretty famous flyweight boxer back in the eighties and nineties (especially so in my neck of the woods, but I'm told he was also the most popular fighter in Vegas for a time). It's a BLP that Wikipedia could probably do without, so I'm not complaining, but I'm surprised he's not in there.
+Quote Post
LessHorrid vanU

Devils Advocaat

QUOTE(CharlotteWebb @ Tue 26th May 2009, 6:41pm) *

Surely, the thing about true "pop culture" is that it only references the pop culture of "Now" - what was the pop culture of yesterday is now so much forgotten news. To re-interpret Andy Warhol, "In the future everyone will be famous for 15 minutes... and then consigned to oblivion as the next 15 minuter gets their go."

I had to undo some editors redirect of John Lennon's "How Do You Sleep?" article to a disambig page because there appears to be some C&W artist (extremely co-incidently surnamed McCartney, Mr Manager/Songwriter) who is/was having a big hit in those charts with a tune of the same name. In all honesty, the writer was unfamiliar with the Lennon track and wasn't aware of the nature of its origin and when advised wondered if it really was that notable being as Lennon and McCartney were hardly front page news these days... Of course, is my reverence to my pop culture icons obscuring the true worth of articles relating to them?
+Quote Post
Firsfron of Ronchester

Member No.: 1,715

QUOTE(LessHorrid vanU @ Fri 29th May 2009, 11:17am) *

Surely, the thing about true "pop culture" is that it only references the pop culture of "Now" - what was the pop culture of yesterday is now so much forgotten news. To re-interpret Andy Warhol, "In the future everyone will be famous for 15 minutes... and then consigned to oblivion as the next 15 minuter gets their go."

I had to undo some editors redirect of John Lennon's "How Do You Sleep?" article to a disambig page because there appears to be some C&W artist (extremely co-incidently surnamed McCartney, Mr Manager/Songwriter) who is/was having a big hit in those charts with a tune of the same name. In all honesty, the writer was unfamiliar with the Lennon track and wasn't aware of the nature of its origin and when advised wondered if it really was that notable being as Lennon and McCartney were hardly front page news these days... Of course, is my reverence to my pop culture icons obscuring the true worth of articles relating to them?

Heh. Not in the news right now, so "not notable".

I've experienced the same thing with early television articles. "Never heard of it" seems to mean "not notable", even on articles that are fully referenced to books.
+Quote Post
sbrown

Group: Inactive

Theres loads of people on German wikipeida not on the English one. First I hit using random page was Hans Walter Wolff

http://www.augsburgfortress.org/store/item...ibutorcode=2414

"Hans Walter Wolff is emeritus professor of Old Testament at the University of Heidelberg and the author of many widely used studies."

(The links wrong hes dead.)

This post has been edited by sbrown:
+Quote Post
thekohser

No article about geographical feature Leverick Bay.

In my opinion, one of the most beautiful bays in the entire world, so maybe it's best that no Wikipediots become aware of it.
+Quote Post
One

Postmaster General

QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 26th May 2009, 3:04am) *

Law firm:

* Jackson Lewis (over 500 attorneys)

Holy cow, 41 offices! In fairness to Wikipedia, this firm (employment law) has apparently been growing very fast as the economy crumbles. Here's a nice list of other missing large lawfirms.
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

QUOTE(sbrown @ Fri 29th May 2009, 2:39pm) *

Theres loads of people on German wikipeida not on the English one. First I hit using random page was Hans Walter Wolff

http://www.augsburgfortress.org/store/item...ibutorcode=2414

"Hans Walter Wolff is emeritus professor of Old Testament at the University of Heidelberg and the author of many widely used studies."

(The links wrong hes dead.)

If you die the link should quit working.

I keep thinking of George Carlin wanting to know if you die while "on hold," on the phone, if the little light goes out...

Seems like it should. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/hmmm.gif)
+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

Lots of special-purpose vacuum tubes were made, mostly between WWII and 1960.
Most of them aren't on Wikipedia, except (at most) as passing mentions in related articles.
All of these were historically significant, many were used in early digital computers or radar.

Phasitron (in the 1950s, most of the FM broadcast transmitters in America used one.)

Zahl Tube (very important in early development of radar)

Trochotron (only mentioned in the Nixie tube article because I put it there long ago....)

Pixie tube (ditto)

Orbital-beam tube (mentioned in the Secondary Emission article, only because I put it there. Three of them were in the SCR-270 radar that gave early warning of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor in 1941. I would call that "historically significant".)

Radechon (used as memory in the Rice R1 computer of 1959)

Graphecon

Scan converters (a variety of designs)

Alphechon (one of the world's rarest collectible tubes--used as memory in RCA's Spectra 70 computer system display terminals, all of which were junked in 1970-72.)

Sheet-beam tube

Square-law tube (extremely rare item, used only in tube analog computers)

There's an article about Robert von Lieben, but it barely mentions the amplifying tube he invented, at about the same time as deForest.

I'll probably think of others later.

Plus there were two monostable-multivibrator circuits often seen in early computers, that were tube-only: the sanatron and the phantastron. This guy is using a phantastron circuit for musical sound effects.

This is a pathetic list. Lots of errors and thousands of omissions.

Why don't I add the articles? Why should I, when some teenage RPGer
will just go in and wreck them a few weeks later? You do it.

And finally....... (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif)
+Quote Post
The Joy

Un bon petit Diable

Un bon petit Diable (T-H-L-K-D) Not there!
+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

Almost forgot the beam commutator tube--extremely rare. One of National Union Co's most insane ideas.

(In fact, there's no article about National Union either.)
+Quote Post
Peter Damian

Anomalistic psychology - now a well established discipline (try Google). Nothing much in Wikipedia, certainly not an article.
+Quote Post
MBisanz

Peter Symonds - You would think some student at Peter Symonds College would have created at least a stub about the person the school is named after.

oh, and of course we have a trivia section in the college article, unsourced as usual:

The current principal, Neil Hopkins is now the only principal not to have a building in the college named after him, and instead the landfill site in front of the Northbrook building which was demolished has been affectionately called Hopkins' Hump.
+Quote Post
CharlotteWebb

Postmaster General

QUOTE(MBisanz @ Sun 31st May 2009, 9:48pm) *

Peter Symonds - You would think some student at Peter Symonds College would have created at least a stub about the person the school is named after.

I'm sure User:PeterSymonds can handle that.
+Quote Post
thekohser

In Wikipedia's List of banks, there are no banks from the United States listed. Thirteen banks from Botswana listed, but none from the USA.

Makes a lot of sense.
+Quote Post
CharlotteWebb

Postmaster General

QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 1st June 2009, 5:16pm) *

In Wikipedia's List of banks, there are no banks from the United States listed. Thirteen banks from Botswana listed, but none from the USA.

Ah, well we're just "countering systemic bias" obviously. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif)

No, the real answer, see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...&action=history

It was split off into a separate list of U.S. banks, which was denounced as list-cruft because it almost numbered over 9,000. Thus it was "merged" to [[Banking in the United States]] (without salvaging any part of the list).

Pretty stupid if you ask me.
+Quote Post
Malleus

Fat Cat

Member No.: 8,716

QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Sun 31st May 2009, 5:42am) *

Lots of special-purpose vacuum tubes were made, mostly between WWII and 1960.
Most of them aren't on Wikipedia, except (at most) as passing mentions in related articles.
All of these were historically significant, many were used in early digital computers or radar.

Phasitron (in the 1950s, most of the FM broadcast transmitters in America used one.)

Zahl Tube (very important in early development of radar)

Trochotron (only mentioned in the Nixie tube article because I put it there long ago....)

Pixie tube (ditto)

Orbital-beam tube (mentioned in the Secondary Emission article, only because I put it there. Three of them were in the SCR-270 radar that gave early warning of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor in 1941. I would call that "historically significant".)

Radechon (used as memory in the Rice R1 computer of 1959)

Graphecon

Scan converters (a variety of designs)

Alphechon (one of the world's rarest collectible tubes--used as memory in RCA's Spectra 70 computer system display terminals, all of which were junked in 1970-72.)

Sheet-beam tube

Square-law tube (extremely rare item, used only in tube analog computers)

There's an article about Robert von Lieben, but it barely mentions the amplifying tube he invented, at about the same time as deForest.

I'll probably think of others later.

Plus there were two monostable-multivibrator circuits often seen in early computers, that were tube-only: the sanatron and the phantastron. This guy is using a phantastron circuit for musical sound effects.

This is a pathetic list. Lots of errors and thousands of omissions.

Gives the lie to the apologists who claim that the declining number of active wikipedia editors is because there are no more articles to be written.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)