FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Jimbo puts arbcom in his will -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Jimbo puts arbcom in his will, they get the mojo
SB_Johnny

It wasn't me who made honky-tonk angels

Group: Regulars

I guess this resolves the question of whether he'll ever voluntarily retire from the god-king job. Does this mean the foundation being in charge is just an imaginary thing?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
RDH(Ghost In The Machine)

And the admins broke Piggy's glasses...

Member No.: 15,578

Don't like teh Jimness' stance on something?
Then wait 5 minutes.
His only constant is his inconstancy.

This post has been edited by RDH(Ghost In The Machine):
+Quote Post
thekohser

...the ArbCom is hereby authorized to figure out what to do, subject to ratification with a 50% + 1 vote of the community.

I thought Wikipedia is NOT a democracy?
+Quote Post
Kelly Martin

Bring back the guttersnipes!

Member No.: 6,696

"A ratification vote of 50%+1 of the community"? That's an impossible condition because there's no defined sense of who is in the community or even what that term means. Every balloting in Wikipedia that has been held has been held under different terms, with no predictability whatsoever.

It's high irony for him to say that Wikipedia isn't suffering from "founder's syndrome" when it's fairly evident that Wikipedia is, in fact, a classic case of founder's syndrome. And it's fairly clear that the Foundation is not in charge of Wikipedia, nor does it want to be.

When Jimbo does leave (or die), the bloody infighting that will result is going to be quite amusing to watch.
+Quote Post
Ottava

Ãœber Pokemon

Group: Contributors

QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Sun 19th December 2010, 12:41pm) *

"A ratification vote of 50%+1 of the community"? That's an impossible condition because there's no defined sense of who is in the community or even what that term means. Every balloting in Wikipedia that has been held has been held under different terms, with no predictability whatsoever.

It's high irony for him to say that Wikipedia isn't suffering from "founder's syndrome" when it's fairly evident that Wikipedia is, in fact, a classic case of founder's syndrome. And it's fairly clear that the Foundation is not in charge of Wikipedia, nor does it want to be.

When Jimbo does leave (or die), the bloody infighting that will result is going to be quite amusing to watch.

Did everyone miss the idea that 50%+1 would need neutals to count as non-supports? Because he said vote and they did vote.
+Quote Post
Kelly Martin

QUOTE(Ottava @ Sun 19th December 2010, 11:50am) *
Did everyone miss the idea that 50%+1 would need neutals to count as non-supports? Because he said vote and they did vote.
In parliamentary procedure a "50%+1 vote of the membership" requires a majority of the membership (not merely a majority of those voting) to adopt the measure in question. The "membership" of the Association of Editors of the English Wikipedia is not well-defined. However, if we use the number of editors qualified to vote in the last ArbCom election it's somewhere between 10,000 and 100,000, which would mean somewhere between 5,000 and 50,000 votes in favor of ratification would be required. Since no ballot ever on the English Wikipedia has gathered more than a thousand or so votes, this bar is extremely unlikely to be reached.

Basically, Jimbo, in his clueless idiocy, has set a ratification bar that cannot possibly be reached.

"Neutral" votes have no meaning in parliamentary law other than to show presence for the purpose of determining quorum. The default decisional rule for a ballot is a majority of those present and expressing an opinion, and a "neutral" vote does not express an opinion. Since Wikipedia's elections have no concept of quorum, they're absolutely meaningless and should just be ignored. Robert's Rules explicitly comments that voting systems that treat abstensions as negative votes are generally undesirable and should be avoided (RONR 10th ed, p. 390).
+Quote Post
carbuncle

Fat Cat

I don't understand this at all. Surely whatever duties Jimbo has should be transferred to the WMF board. We've already seen instances where decisions made on English-language WP have been rejected by other projects (Commons rejecting the banning of Tyciol, for example, but I'm sure there are many other better examples). ArbCom doesn't have any standing except on English WP, right?

The second thing I don't understand is what Jimbo actually does outside of his role as a potent leader to inspire the masses. Why does he still have any duties at this point? He appoints ArbCom based on the results of an election. What else?
+Quote Post
Ottava

Ãœber Pokemon

QUOTE(carbuncle @ Sun 19th December 2010, 1:53pm) *

I don't understand this at all. Surely whatever duties Jimbo has should be transferred to the WMF board. We've already seen instances where decisions made on English-language WP have been rejected by other projects (Commons rejecting the banning of Tyciol, for example, but I'm sure there are many other better examples). ArbCom doesn't have any standing except on English WP, right?

The second thing I don't understand is what Jimbo actually does outside of his role as a potent leader to inspire the masses. Why does he still have any duties at this point? He appoints ArbCom based on the results of an election. What else?

Cough.

I'm not completely incapable of getting things fixed when needed.

And was it worth giving the en-ArbCom an excuse to keep me banned just so that I could ensure that Tyciol was kept off Commons? Yes, yes it was.

This post has been edited by Ottava:
+Quote Post
SB_Johnny

I've been wondering about that myself... I thought that "technically speaking" he is simply appointed by the WMF board to oversee Arbcom, so why he would have that in his will doesn't make sense.

He also mentions:

I was planning to announce today a relinquishment of some of my traditional powers, as I have been doing over a long period of time, however writing that up in a precise manner is proving to be more difficult than I thought, despite my having thought quite a bit about what steps to take next. I will make a further announcement about that soon.

So apparently he must have some other powers too.
+Quote Post
carbuncle

Fat Cat

QUOTE(Ottava @ Sun 19th December 2010, 7:04pm) *

Cough.

I'm not completely incapable of getting things fixed when needed.

And was it worth giving the en-ArbCom an excuse to keep me banned just so that I could ensure that Tyciol was kept off Commons? Yes, yes it was.

I didn't realize that it was you that got Tyciol banned.
+Quote Post
GlassBeadGame

Dharma Bum

From: My name it means nothing. My age it means less. The country I come from is called the Mid-West.
Member No.: 981

The direction from the grave of the disposition an entity which he does not have the power to determine even in life is the act of a vain and lost man. WMF's General Counsel should politely point his out to him.
+Quote Post
SB_Johnny

QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Sun 19th December 2010, 12:41pm) *

I'm guessing he means "50% of whoever happens to vote", with who's actually allowed to vote presumably determined in his will or by some as yet unidentified cabal of worshippers.

The lulz should be copious, yes. If it's not due to his abandoning of the mortal coil, my guess is that he will do the "retire/unretire/retire/unretire" thing so popular on WP and become the gift that keeps on giving.
+Quote Post
Kelly Martin

QUOTE(carbuncle @ Sun 19th December 2010, 12:53pm) *
I don't understand this at all. Surely whatever duties Jimbo has should be transferred to the WMF board.
The problem with that is that the Board doesn't want them, and will likely actively refuse to accept them.

Jimbo's authority with respect to the English Wikipedia is poorly-defined; Jimbo's take on it is that his powers are plenary and limited only by his own lack of will to use them. Even where he has explicitly declared a intent not to exercise some power or other, you will find that he considers those abdications revocable.
+Quote Post
RMHED

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Sun 19th December 2010, 7:29pm) *

The direction from the grave of the disposition an entity which he does not have the power to determine even in life is the act of a vain and lost man. WMF's General Counsel should politely point his out to him.

Not so much a "vain and lost man" as rather a muddle-headed one.

+Quote Post
Kelly Martin

QUOTE(SB_Johnny @ Sun 19th December 2010, 1:22pm) *
I've been wondering about that myself... I thought that "technically speaking" he is simply appointed by the WMF board to oversee Arbcom, so why he would have that in his will doesn't make sense.
Jimbo's authority over the English Wikipedia, in his opinion, is not mediated by or subject to the jurisdiction of the Board, since it predates the existence of the Wikimedia Foundation. The Board does not consider Jimmy to be exercising delegated authority when he acts as governor of the English Wikipedia.
+Quote Post
GlassBeadGame

Dharma Bum

From: My name it means nothing. My age it means less. The country I come from is called the Mid-West.
Member No.: 981

QUOTE(RMHED @ Sun 19th December 2010, 2:46pm) *

QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Sun 19th December 2010, 7:29pm) *

Not so much a "vain and lost man" as rather a muddle-headed one.

Still WMF needs to short this out. A best as I can sort out Mr. Wales asserts that he has some "special rights" retained even as against WMF based on his control of buttons in the RPG of Wikipedia. This is an unsupportable and intolerable position for the corporation which at the end of the day needs to assert its authority over whatever occurs on its own servers. Imagine a WoW player that gained privileges that permitted him to ruin the experience for other players. Here, given the supposedly charitable purpose of the corporation, such a situation is even less tolerable.
+Quote Post
Kelly Martin

Why does he still have any duties at this point? He appoints ArbCom based on the results of an election. What else?
Jimbo has no duties, only powers.
+Quote Post
RMHED

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Sun 19th December 2010, 7:58pm) *

Why does he still have any duties at this point? He appoints ArbCom based on the results of an election. What else?

Jimmy ultimately aspires to be the éminence grise of Wikipedia; Power without any real responsibility.

This post has been edited by RMHED:
+Quote Post
TungstenCarbide

Allegedly shot down by stray Ukrainian missile

(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif)
For how many of you has Jimbo promised to "look into it".
+Quote Post
SB_Johnny

QUOTE(TungstenCarbide @ Sun 19th December 2010, 3:08pm) *

(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif)
For how many of you has Jimbo promised to "look into it".

(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)