The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cool3/Cool three (13 Jan - 8 Feb 2010)
thekohser
post Thu 28th July 2011, 5:23pm
Post #41

Group: Regulars
Member No.: 911

In a private message a couple of days ago, Shalom threatened to fear.gif call me on the telephone.

I replied that I'd welcome a call from him, and he said that he would call.

Still no call, though.

What will it take? Should I threaten to publish here his personal message to me that was very, very bossy in tone?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
No one of consequence
post Thu 28th July 2011, 5:27pm
Post #42

I want to stare at the seaside and do nothing at all

Member No.: 1,010

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(thekohser @ Thu 28th July 2011, 5:23pm) *

In a private message a couple of days ago, Shalom threatened to fear.gif call me on the telephone.

I replied that I'd welcome a call from him, and he said that he would call.

Still no call, though.

What will it take? Should I threaten to publish here his personal message to me that was very, very bossy in tone?

Ignore him?

(It's not libel unless his statement is false and also made with fault -- meaning negligence -- meaning that, based on the publicly available facts, the conclusion he draws is so irresponsible that no reasonable person with access to the same information would draw the same conclusion. Just stop feeding the drama beast.)
+Quote Post
Kevin
post Thu 28th July 2011, 10:27pm
Post #43

Group: Contributors
Member No.: 10,522

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(SpiderAndWeb @ Tue 26th July 2011, 10:51am) *

Oh for fuck's sake. Laughably toothless libel threats on Internet fora are so the '90s.

Or not. I spent last week in court defending myself against a butthurt individual with whom I share membership of another web forum. I'd never seen a judge facepalm before tongue.gif
+Quote Post
SpiderAndWeb
post Fri 29th July 2011, 5:08pm
Post #44

Member No.: 58,319

QUOTE(Kevin @ Thu 28th July 2011, 10:27pm) *

QUOTE(SpiderAndWeb @ Tue 26th July 2011, 10:51am) *

Oh for fuck's sake. Laughably toothless libel threats on Internet fora are so the '90s.

Or not. I spent last week in court defending myself against a butthurt individual with whom I share membership of another web forum. I'd never seen a judge facepalm before tongue.gif

Wow... is a transcript available somewhere?
+Quote Post
John Limey
post Tue 7th August 2012, 9:13pm
Post #45

Member No.: 12,473

Mr. Kohs acquired the account from the person then in control of it at about the time identified to ArbCom. At no time did he hack anything or act unethically and suggestions to the contrary are completely unfounded.
+Quote Post
Retrospect
post Wed 8th August 2012, 11:51am
Post #46

Londoner born and bred

Member No.: 71,989

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(John Limey @ Tue 7th August 2012, 10:13pm) *

Mr. Kohs acquired the account from the person then in control of it at about the time identified to ArbCom. At no time did he hack anything or act unethically and suggestions to the contrary are completely unfounded.

Hey, how come it's taken you a year to say that? Been too busy playing with something?

Of course Mr. Kohs broke all sorts of bloody WP rules but say, on this site we don't call that unethical due to our superior moral stance! irony.gif

This post has been edited by Retrospect: Wed 8th August 2012, 11:51am
+Quote Post
Ottava
post Wed 8th August 2012, 5:20pm
Post #47

Über Pokemon

Member No.: 7,328

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(John Limey @ Tue 7th August 2012, 5:13pm) *

Couldn't the act of "acquiring" be deemed unethical? After all, there is the one user per account rule and it seems to be deceitful if it switches hands.
+Quote Post
Fusion
post Thu 9th August 2012, 8:09am
Post #48

Member No.: 71,526

QUOTE(Ottava @ Wed 8th August 2012, 6:20pm) *

Couldn't the act of "acquiring" be deemed unethical? After all, there is the one user per account rule and it seems to be deceitful if it switches hands.

To some, breaching Wikipedia rules may not be considered as unethical.
+Quote Post
Ottava
post Thu 9th August 2012, 5:41pm
Post #49

Über Pokemon

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(Fusion @ Thu 9th August 2012, 4:09am) *

Doesn't matter. You are taking an identity and committing fraud. If you sold your real life identity to someone else, and someone else bought it, both are acting unethically.
+Quote Post
The Joy
post Fri 10th August 2012, 4:25am
Post #50

I am a millipede! I am amazing!

Group: Members
Member No.: 982

QUOTE(Ottava @ Thu 9th August 2012, 1:41pm) *

QUOTE(Fusion @ Thu 9th August 2012, 4:09am) *

Doesn't matter. You are taking an identity and committing fraud. If you sold your real life identity to someone else, and someone else bought it, both are acting unethically.

It shows the absurdity of what Wikipedians call "trust." How can you trust someone named "Cool3" or any anonymous/pseudonymous person, for crying out loud, with handling important administrative functions of the world's most popular online reference site? How does anyone know this sort of thing of giving outsiders access to administrator accounts has not gone on since Wikipedia's beginning? CheckUsers have better things to do than check every single editor with administrator functions or higher all the time and even CU is "not magic pixie dust," as Wikipedians say.

Good gravy, we spent years on this forum thinking a hot-looking blonde statistician eating a sandwich was really a hot-looking blonde statistician eating a sandwich. We gave "her" staff powers and trusted "her"judgment. Guess how that turned out? Remember Essjay, the Ph.D. theologian as well? Wikipedians still have not learned. Heck, Web 2.0 still hasn't learned! dry.gif hrmph.gif sick.gif
+Quote Post
culeaker
post Fri 10th August 2012, 3:46pm
Post #51

Member No.: 63,651

QUOTE(The Joy @ Fri 10th August 2012, 5:25am) *

How does anyone know this sort of thing of giving outsiders access to administrator accounts has not gone on since Wikipedia's beginning? CheckUsers have better things to do than check every single editor with administrator functions or higher all the time and even CU is "not magic pixie dust," as Wikipedians say.

I doubt that it has gone on since Wikipedia's beginning. nobody would have bothered in the early days. Still, it has doubtless happened a few times. I agree that it is often very difficult to detect, and there would frequently be "false positives", when an admin moved or switched ISPs for example. But any strange behavior by an admin is usually enough to set alarm bells ringing.
+Quote Post
Ottava
post Wed 15th August 2012, 3:12pm
Post #52

Über Pokemon

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(The Joy @ Fri 10th August 2012, 12:25am) *

It shows the absurdity of what Wikipedians call "trust." How can you trust someone named "Cool3" or any anonymous/pseudonymous person, for crying out loud, with handling important administrative functions of the world's most popular online reference site?

How can I trust you with the ability to criticize such a person? You can't apply a standard that they need to be such and such while you refuse to abide by it yourself. You lack the moral high ground here.
+Quote Post
The Joy
post Wed 15th August 2012, 10:06pm
Post #53

QUOTE(Ottava @ Wed 15th August 2012, 11:12am) *

It shows the absurdity of what Wikipedians call "trust." How can you trust someone named "Cool3" or any anonymous/pseudonymous person, for crying out loud, with handling important administrative functions of the world's most popular online reference site?

How can I trust you with the ability to criticize such a person? You can't apply a standard that they need to be such and such while you refuse to abide by it yourself. You lack the moral high ground here.

As do you, "Ottava Rima." We're all mad here. irony.gif
+Quote Post
Ottava
post Thu 16th August 2012, 4:34am
Post #54

Über Pokemon

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(The Joy @ Wed 15th August 2012, 6:06pm) *

Um, my real identity is well known and has been plastered here by many users no longer allowed to post here. If you are going to try and be clever, at least attempt to be accurate.
+Quote Post
The Joy
post Thu 16th August 2012, 4:55am
Post #55

QUOTE(culeaker @ Fri 10th August 2012, 11:46am) *

But any strange behavior by an admin is usually enough to set alarm bells ringing.

Or ignored by the community. Essjay, SlimVirgin, JzG, etc. come to mind. Some like Chris0 (now Prioryman) and Tony Sidaway get caught only to come back and act like silly with impunity. Your social reputation on Wikipedia outweighs any injustices you commit.
+Quote Post
The Joy
post Thu 16th August 2012, 10:54pm
Post #56

QUOTE(Ottava @ Thu 16th August 2012, 12:34am) *

QUOTE(The Joy @ Wed 15th August 2012, 6:06pm) *

Um, my real identity is well known and has been plastered here by many users no longer allowed to post here. If you are going to try and be clever, at least attempt to be accurate.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th 8 17, 6:01am