FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
What's Jayjg up to? -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What's Jayjg up to?, Where is he? What name is he using?
LamontStormstar

Postmaster

Group: Regulars

Jayjg's gone. Last month someone said Jayjg could go on missing wikipedians after a month and so now he is. Supposedly he has some real life personal stuff he's busy with. Anyone know what?

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jonny Cache

τα δε μοι παθήματα μαθήματα γέγονε

Group: Contributors

QUOTE(LamontStormstar @ Tue 4th September 2007, 6:21pm) *

Jayjg's gone. Last month someone said Jayjg could go on missing wikipedians after a month and so now he is. Supposedly he has some real life personal stuff he's busy with. Anyone know what?

You're kidding, right ?

Jonny (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/cool.gif)
+Quote Post
Kato

dhd

QUOTE(LamontStormstar @ Tue 4th September 2007, 11:21pm) *

According to Raúl Castro, Jayjg is "responsive and participating in the discussion about this", he's also "having private discussions by email. This is normal, we do it all the time."

Despite these public reassurances, speculation grows daily as to real state of Jayjg's health.
+Quote Post
blissyu2

the wookie

Group: On Vacation
Member No.: 5

Surely he's just editing Wikipedia under a brand new name.
+Quote Post
LamontStormstar

Postmaster

QUOTE(blissyu2 @ Tue 4th September 2007, 5:58pm) *

I assumed hundreds of new names. He very likely is trying to get multiple accounts that have oversight and checkuser access.
+Quote Post
No one of consequence

I want to stare at the seaside and do nothing at all

QUOTE(LamontStormstar @ Wed 5th September 2007, 1:16am) *

I assumed hundreds of new names. He very likely is trying to get multiple accounts that have oversight and checkuser access.

At least for checkuser the Foundation requires that they know the verified identity of the checkuser and that the person is of legal age in the jurisdiction in which they live.
+Quote Post
LamontStormstar

Postmaster

QUOTE(No one of consequence @ Tue 4th September 2007, 6:20pm) *

At least for checkuser the Foundation requires that they know the verified identity of the checkuser and that the person is of legal age in the jurisdiction in which they live.

Jayjg will just get fake IDs.... then....

Jimbo Wales: "Hmmm... It says your name is McLovin"
+Quote Post
blissyu2

the wookie

If he does get CheckUser and Oversight access, Jimbo would be in on it of course. But I would think that Jimbo would be quite happy to go along with it.
+Quote Post
jch

Quickly running out of Cache

Why, exactly, does he need to get multiple new accounts with oversight and checkuser access?

Both oversight and checkuser are "invisible" to normal users: An account could do nothing but checkuser requests and oversights and be dead to everyone not a member of those two groups.
+Quote Post
LamontStormstar

Postmaster

QUOTE(jch @ Tue 4th September 2007, 7:01pm) *

Why, exactly, does he need to get multiple new accounts with oversight and checkuser access?

Both oversight and checkuser are "invisible" to normal users: An account could do nothing but checkuser requests and oversights and be dead to everyone not a member of those two groups.

Some of the developers can see what he does and he get criticized for oversight abuse.

QUOTE(blissyu2 @ Tue 4th September 2007, 7:00pm) *

If he does get CheckUser and Oversight access, Jimbo would be in on it of course. But I would think that Jimbo would be quite happy to go along with it.

If Jayjg did and there was evidence of it, Jimbo would be like "Oh no, he'd never do that. Stop trolling."

+Quote Post
TheInternetSucks

Neophyte

QUOTE(LamontStormstar @ Wed 5th September 2007, 10:39am) *

QUOTE(jch @ Tue 4th September 2007, 7:01pm) *

Some of the developers can see what he does and he get criticized for oversight abuse.

QUOTE(blissyu2 @ Tue 4th September 2007, 7:00pm) *

If Jayjg did and there was evidence of it, Jimbo would be like "Oh no, he'd never do that. Stop trolling."

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=155626809

Read and laugh. Or is it for real?
+Quote Post
Daniel Brandt

Postmaster

My guess is that Jayjg wants the same powers — administrator, checkuser, oversight — but under a different screen name. It would be tough to slip that one through without anyone noticing. It appears that by using this search format you get a dump right from the permissions database. Someone new with checkuser and oversight would stand out, which means that Jayjg under a new screen name would have to get root access and use the SQL commands directly. Even assuming that he's competent to do this without crashing the database, I don't think anyone apart from Jimbo would go along with this. It's one step too far in the direction of non-transparency, even for the cabal.

I suspect that this is the real dilemma for the cabal: How can we let Jayjg continue his undercover work now that everyone is watching him?
+Quote Post
Jonny Cache

τα δε μοι παθήματα μαθήματα γέγονε

QUOTE(Daniel Brandt @ Wed 5th September 2007, 11:12am) *

My guess is that Jayjg wants the same powers — administrator, checkuser, oversight — but under a different screen name. It would be tough to slip that one through without anyone noticing. It appears that by using this search format you get a dump right from the permissions database. Someone new with checkuser and oversight would stand out, which means that Jayjg under a new screen name would have to get root access and use the SQL commands directly. Even assuming that he's competent to do this without crashing the database, I don't think anyone apart from Jimbo would go along with this. It's one step too far in the direction of non-transparency, even for the cabal.

I suspect that this is the real dilemma for the cabal: How can we let Jayjg continue his undercover work now that everyone is watching him?

What? Did you forget to put on your tin thinking cap today?

I don't think you comprehend how many phoney wikipupae accounts they keep in the incubators for just such occasions. Nobody will know what hit them until the heads of sockpuppets start rolling in the streets.

Jonny (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/cool.gif)
+Quote Post
SenseMaker

QUOTE(Daniel Brandt @ Wed 5th September 2007, 3:12pm) *

I suspect Jayjg will not use his old account much, but will continue to use his alternative accounts. He'll keey Jayjg and its permissions going forward because they are useful. Most recently, Jayjg has been passing the incriminating results of his CU queries to others to report on AN/I, and he'll continue this. Jayjg will continue as normal just under the cover of a more extensive "cloaking" method.

This post has been edited by SenseMaker:
+Quote Post
blissyu2

the wookie

ElinorD "tidied up" Jayjg's entry in Missing Wikipedians:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=155626809
(thanks ElinorD!)

Gwern made a further "tidy":
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=155628534

Funnyguy555 decided to "lulz" it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=155765478

But longhair doesn't like "lulz":
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=155795873
and he ended up indef blocked: http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...ser:Funnyguy555
Actually, he was officially blocked for "admitting to being a sock puppet", based on this: http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=155798611 Yah, because he knew that SlimVirgin was a sock puppeteer...

Daniel cleared up any confusions about Jayjg for us:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=155796346

So there you have it. Thanks to ElinorD, ably supported by many other mindless idiots, we can know for sure what happened to Jayjg.
+Quote Post
anthony

Postmaster

QUOTE(jch @ Wed 5th September 2007, 2:01am) *

Plus as a checkuser he can view other checkuser requests, and be tipped off of anyone investigating his sockpuppets.

The time has come to request that Jayjg's checkuser and oversight powers be removed, at least temporarily, while he's gone.
+Quote Post
Rochelle

Member No.: 2,522

The lights go out and imagination kicks in.
+Quote Post
blissyu2

the wookie

Just so we're clear, this is the "official" statement:

*{{User2|Jayjg}} - An administrator, he last edited 04 August 2007. Has stated in private communications that he's preoccupied with other issues in his life.

Nothing on his user page tho.
+Quote Post
yow

Neophyte

Apparently the bucket has been kicked.

QUOTE(blissyu2 @ Wed 5th September 2007, 6:51pm) *

Just so we're clear, this is the "official" statement:

*{{User2|Jayjg}} - An administrator, he last edited 04 August 2007. Has stated in private communications that he's preoccupied with other issues in his life.

Nothing on his user page tho.

+Quote Post
LamontStormstar

Postmaster

Just claiming he died doesn't make him dead.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)