FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Giano's morons -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> Help

This forum is for discussing specific Wikipedia editors, editing patterns, and general efforts by those editors to influence or direct content in ways that might not be in keeping with Wikipedia policy. Please source your claims and provide links where appropriate. For a glossary of terms frequently used when discussing Wikipedia and related projects, please refer to Wikipedia:Glossary.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Giano's morons, Giano today, Malleus tomorrow?
Rating  5
RMHED

Ãœber Member

Group: Regulars

Poor old Giano is under siege, and this time it looks like he'll be sanctioned. The civility enforcers are marshalling their forces.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Text

Group: Contributors

It would be better for him to keep insulting as he wants, so his account gets bashed and banned permanently, so they have another person to chase day and night. Much entertainment.
+Quote Post
Kelly Martin

Bring back the guttersnipes!

Member No.: 6,696

Yawn. Giano and co. are just part of the amusement. There's nothing of substance here.
+Quote Post
Text

Giano needs to banned for either being a persistent troll or because he will lose his sanity if he continues.

But the community likes the trolling and likes driving people insane, so not going to happen...
+Quote Post
Sxeptomaniac

Member No.: 3,542

Seems like he's long since realized that his supporters have given him a certain amount of power, and it's gone straight to his head. He's as arrogant as any of the most abusive admins these days, and he's long since lost a coherent cause for his drama.
+Quote Post
Text

Seems like he's long since realized that his supporters have given him a certain amount of power, and it's gone straight to his head. He's as arrogant as any of the most abusive admins these days, and he's long since lost a coherent cause for his drama.

He has zero power, but he has people who cover his shoulders because they like the drama.
+Quote Post
InkBlot

QUOTE(Text @ Thu 3rd March 2011, 10:24am) *

He has zero power, but he has people who cover his shoulders because they like the drama.

He has friends who provide moral support, and sometimes run interference...but it's his "enemies" who provide him power. More fuss gets raised around him, than he ever causes directly, that the best outcome of any encounter simply becomes "don't get involved in the first place."

Earlier today, I was talking with some friends about a online video where some tech news blog managed to get a skype session going with someone from Westboro Baptist Church and someone from Anonymous in a joint interview. One of my friends said, "good interviewer...very polite to both sides." To which another friend responded, "well, yeah. I wouldn't want to talk to someone from WBC or Anonymous...either one of them could make your life miserable."

Threads on ANI about Giano should, in reasonable people, provoke similar responses.
+Quote Post
Sxeptomaniac

Member No.: 3,542

QUOTE(InkBlot @ Thu 3rd March 2011, 10:55am) *

He has friends who provide moral support, and sometimes run interference...but it's his "enemies" who provide him power. More fuss gets raised around him, than he ever causes directly, that the best outcome of any encounter simply becomes "don't get involved in the first place."

True. The fact that the major participants of any ANI "discussion" regarding Giano are likely to be obviously in one camp or the other makes it impossible for anything to really be done about his increasingly ridiculous behavior. He would have to really go off the deep end for any major action to be taken at this point.
+Quote Post
Kelly Martin

Bring back the guttersnipes!

Member No.: 6,696

That's largely true, but not entirely. There are people who think that Giano is, or will be, their savior, and who support him on that basis. However, they're not a large enough coalition to have a measurable, long-term impact on Wikipedia's political culture.

Most of his "support" is just people who cheer him on because he puts on a good show.
+Quote Post
LessHorrid vanU

Devils Advocaat

QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Thu 3rd March 2011, 8:07pm) *

That's largely true, but not entirely. There are people who think that Giano is, or will be, their savior, and who support him on that basis. However, they're not a large enough coalition to have a measurable, long-term impact on Wikipedia's political culture.

Most of his "support" is just people who cheer him on because he puts on a good show.

No, most of the people who support him recall the attempts by "the powers that be" to remove him for pointing out their mistakes and embarrassing them - and every time some innocent brings up (sometimes valid) issues with his behaviour and it is jumped upon by the usual suspects as another attempt to have him banned, then some of the other usual suspects will again man the barricades.

This presupposes that there are those who believe that there are others who are still petty enough to still try and punish Giano for "indiscretions" in the past. Well, there are and there are. The result that WP:CIVIL is largely deprecated is the fault of those who attempted to use it as a gag, and not Giano's.
+Quote Post
chrisoff

However, it should be noted that most of the opposes were opposing explicitly on grounds of futility, not expressing an opinion that the proposed sanction was incorrect or objecting to the characterization of your behavior as not meeting Wikipedia standards. Several people did oppose on those grounds, but a clear minority of the opposes. It would appear that there is a community consensus that your behavior is not meeting expected standards. It also appears that the community's patience for putting up with that is wearing thin over time. It would be advisable to consider that in your future dealings with other users - if these incidents continue, the community may exhaust its patience with you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=416892157

This post has been edited by chrisoff:
+Quote Post
TungstenCarbide

Allegedly shot down by stray Ukrainian missile

QUOTE(chrisoff @ Thu 3rd March 2011, 11:09pm) *

However, it should be noted that most of the opposes were opposing explicitly on grounds of futility, not expressing an opinion that the proposed sanction was incorrect or objecting to the characterization of your behavior as not meeting Wikipedia standards. Several people did oppose on those grounds, but a clear minority of the opposes. It would appear that there is a community consensus that your behavior is not meeting expected standards. It also appears that the community's patience for putting up with that is wearing thin over time. It would be advisable to consider that in your future dealings with other users - if these incidents continue, the community may exhaust its patience with you.
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=416892157

Georgewilliamherbert uses Wikipedia as a social diversion. Just look at his "contributions"
+Quote Post
Tarc

Fat Cat

Well, I meant what I said; keeping him unsanctioned provides cover for the rest of us. I may have to deploy the Giano Defense soon, as I am now being dragged before An/I for poking fun that the lolicon-supporting Wikipe-tan fan club.

This post has been edited by Tarc:
+Quote Post
RDH(Ghost In The Machine)

And the admins broke Piggy's glasses...

Member No.: 15,578

QUOTE(LessHorrid vanU @ Thu 3rd March 2011, 9:35pm) *

No, most of the people who support him recall the attempts by "the powers that be" to remove him for pointing out their mistakes and embarrassing them - and every time some innocent brings up (sometimes valid) issues with his behaviour and it is jumped upon by the usual suspects as another attempt to have him banned, then some of the other usual suspects will again man the barricades.

This presupposes that there are those who believe that there are others who are still petty enough to still try and punish Giano for "indiscretions" in the past. Well, there are and there are. The result that WP:CIVIL is largely deprecated is the fault of those who attempted to use it as a gag, and not Giano's.

+5 post!
IMO G has two main problems:
1) He's not changed his act nor his tactics in several Wiki generations.
2) Although he's still a hero to an increasingly diminished number of old tymers, who remember back when he was the No. 6 of the Wiki-village (IE the only high profile contributor openly and effectively standing up to the cabalistas on site and getting away with it), The WP classes of 08 and after see him more as a privileged pain.

He jumped the shark when he openly defended Jimbeau over Marsden instead of going in for the kill. I have no idea what his game plan was then or is now. I'm not sure he even has one...if he does, it could be described in architectural terms as Baroque-Opaque.
His last triumph of any significance, was in helping to being down that bestiality loving gas bag FT2, which is now ancient history. His poor showing in the most recent Arb elections are indicative of this.

Face it, Giacomo, unless you can do a better job of rousing the rabble and appealing to the newcomers, you will become a relic...like me.
+Quote Post
Giano

QUOTE(RDH(Ghost In The Machine) @ Sun 6th March 2011, 11:06pm) *

QUOTE(LessHorrid vanU @ Thu 3rd March 2011, 9:35pm) *

+5 post!
IMO G has two main problems:
1) He's not changed his act nor his tactics in several Wiki generations.
2) Although he's still a hero to an increasingly diminished number of old tymers, who remember back when he was the No. 6 of the Wiki-village (IE the only high profile contributor openly and effectively standing up to the cabalistas on site and getting away with it), The WP classes of 08 and after see him more as a privileged pain.

He jumped the shark when he openly defended Jimbeau over Marsden instead of going in for the kill. I have no idea what his game plan was then or is now. I'm not sure he even has one...if he does, it could be described in architectural terms as Baroque-Opaque.
His last triumph of any significance, was in helping to being down that bestiality loving gas bag FT2, which is now ancient history. His poor showing in the most recent Arb elections are indicative of this.

Face it, Giacomo, unless you can do a better job of rousing the rabble and appealing to the newcomers, you will become a relic...like me.

I'm not bothered about becoming a relic - I've been that for years and I have never had a grand game plan. I shall continue to do what I've always done, when I see something that does not seem right - hold my nose and jump in and worry about the consequences afterwards - I might have to tread water sometimes, but swimming against the tide is something I am well used to. some of my "crusades" have been understood (eventually) and some never at all, but there are none that I regret - including the Jimbeau "affair" (pardon the pun) - some (not all) of the things he was accused of were unfair, so I pointed it out. It was as simple as that

Anyhow, there are far more like me now, so I don't have to work so hard - in fact I am very happy to leave things to the "new generation" - things don't seem to be as clear cut as they used to be and I have lost the impetus. I can't fathom this Rod&Emu business at all. Why was he ever permitted to be admin - and remain so, for so long? Then we have an Arb who I find extremely concerning - another disaster for Wikipedia waiting to drop there, I bet. At one time, I would have gone out and highlighted it; I can't be bothered any more because nothing changes. I'll leave the reasons for that for you to fathom.

I don't think there has been an Arbcom case against me for ages, so I must be on the way out. There was a silly kerfuffle on ANI the other day, but that was swiftly dealt with - did you see GWH on my page (oh LOL). So it looks like I'm just another old Wikiedia has been. I'm quite happy with that. But I am so glad to see others that are now not frightened of questioning and being blocked by the spurious, juvenile Admins that the project's management delights in encouraging because it keeps them where they are at the expense of the project.

Giacomo.
+Quote Post
chrisoff

yeah, I think you seem rather silly now. Not taken seriously.
+Quote Post
Malleus

Fat Cat

Member No.: 8,716

QUOTE(chrisoff @ Mon 25th April 2011, 8:48pm) *

yeah, I think you seem rather silly now. Not taken seriously.

You do realise that you're replying to a posting made six weeks ago?
+Quote Post
chrisoff

Yup!

I hadn't noticed. There is a time limit on posts?

Are you the police? What do you care?

This post has been edited by chrisoff:
+Quote Post
Malleus

Fat Cat

Member No.: 8,716

QUOTE(chrisoff @ Mon 25th April 2011, 10:23pm) *

Yup!

No, I'm not the police and I don't care. Knock yourself out.
+Quote Post
Zoloft

May we all find solace in our dreams.

Member No.: 16,621

QUOTE(chrisoff @ Mon 25th April 2011, 2:23pm) *

Yup!

Note to forum posters:

In order to appear less of a douche, replies like the following are advised.

I hadn't noticed. My apologies.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)