FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Tanthalas39 to Wikipedia: Go f**k yourself -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> Tanthalas39 to Wikipedia: Go f**k yourself
A Horse With No Name

I have as much free time as a Wikipedia admin!

Group: Regulars

Somewhat lost in the hustle and bustle of Wiki-drama was this nervous breakdown by admin Tanthalas39 on his user page: http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=264562383

He came back two days later. Personally, I don't think anyone missed him. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/evilgrin.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

Group: Contributors
Member No.: 3,670

There are lots of ways to (intentionally or inadvertently) confirm an otherwise unproven assertion without passing the information directly.

Back in the 90s, I was completely in the dark about the role someone (whom I never spoke with in private) had played. So I boldly posted an assertion about her for which I had not a shred of evidence.

She immediately became incensed and demanded to know who had told me that, strongly hinting that it must have been leaked by the single person whom everyone knew was friends with both of us.

I responded that the person who told me was none other than the subject herself, who had confirmed my otherwise ungrounded theory by falsely claiming our mutual friend must have leaked it.

Oddly enough, she never let go of that erroneous indictment, notwithstanding the truth of the matter, that I had just made a good guess and published it as if I knew it for a fact.

It was a little like Claudius in Hamlet becoming visibly shaken when the play-within-a-play exactly mirrors his own nefarious misdeeds. Had Claudius been innocent, the scene would have gone by without him betraying the slightest hint of recognition.
+Quote Post
Random832

meh

QUOTE(Moulton @ Sat 7th March 2009, 4:48pm) *

There are lots of ways to (intentionally or inadvertently) confirm an otherwise unproven assertion without passing the information directly.

Back in the 90s, I was completely in the dark about the role someone (whom I never spoke with in private) had played. So I boldly posted an assertion about her for which I had not a shred of evidence.

She immediately became incensed and demanded to know who had told me that, strongly hinting that it must have been leaked by the single person whom everyone knew was friends with both of us.

I responded that the person who told me was none other than the subject herself, who had confirmed my otherwise ungrounded theory by falsely claiming our mutual friend must have leaked it.

Oddly enough, she never let go of that erroneous indictment, notwithstanding the truth of the matter, that I had just made a good guess and published it as if I knew it for a fact.

There is, however, a difference between this and if you had instead published actual words written by her and not intended for your eyes - while what you did only weakly implied a leak, that would confirm it for certain (and only be possible if there had actually been one). It is not in dispute here* that _someone_ leaked / is leaking messages from wikichix-l to Proabivouac (either that, or he somehow gained direct access himself). The only question is who. And the only plausible suspect I can think of is wikiwhistle.

*The possibility remains, I suppose, that the message he posted was a fabrication, but it seems likely someone would have called him on it were that the case

This post has been edited by Random832:
+Quote Post
LaraLove

Wikipedia BLP advocate

QUOTE(Random832 @ Sat 7th March 2009, 11:51am) *

It is not in dispute here* that _someone_ leaked / is leaking messages from wikichix-l to Proabivouac (either that, or he somehow gained direct access himself). The only question is who. And the only plausible suspect I can think of is wikiwhistle.

*The possibility remains, I suppose, that the message he posted was a fabrication, but it seems likely someone would have called him on it were that the case

To be fair, you don't know the member list of Wikichix, so to say "the only plausible suspect I can think of is wikiwhistle" is sort of silly. Only suspect out of whom? Not all chicks on WP are members of this group, and not all members of this group are chicks. It could be any number of people. WW said she didn't do it, Proab says he doesn't have access. That doesn't mean that one of Proab's cronies doesn't have access, pretending to be a female... or that he doesn't have a female crony on the list willing to spill the secrets.

Befriending someone like Proab is, in my opinion, ipso facto support of his actions. So for the sake of his cronies, I hope they've got a sturdy lock on the closet that holds their own skeletons, and no one who knows their secrets willing to spill them.
+Quote Post
Alison

Skinny Cow!

Member No.: 1,806

QUOTE(LaraLove @ Sat 7th March 2009, 9:18am) *

QUOTE(Random832 @ Sat 7th March 2009, 11:51am) *

It is not in dispute here* that _someone_ leaked / is leaking messages from wikichix-l to Proabivouac (either that, or he somehow gained direct access himself). The only question is who. And the only plausible suspect I can think of is wikiwhistle.

To be fair, you don't know the member list of Wikichix, so to say "the only plausible suspect I can think of is wikiwhistle" is sort of silly. Only suspect out of whom? Not all chicks on WP are members of this group, and not all members of this group are chicks. It could be any number of people. WW said she didn't do it, Proab says he doesn't have access. That doesn't mean that one of Proab's cronies doesn't have access, pretending to be a female... or that he doesn't have a female crony on the list willing to spill the secrets.

Indeed. It could be any of a number of other people that immediately come to mind, actually. I count four of five Chix members on WR right now, with little effort I'd also really like to know who it was who did leak that info, but he ain't tellin' (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/dry.gif)
QUOTE(LaraLove @ Sat 7th March 2009, 9:18am) *

Befriending someone like Proab is, in my opinion, ipso facto support of his actions. So for the sake of his cronies, I hope they've got a sturdy lock on the closet that holds their own skeletons, and no one who knows their secrets willing to spill them.

It's not ipso facto anything, any more than posting here is ipso facto support of WordBomb (remember those days?) I don't buy guilt by association at all, sorry.
+Quote Post
Random832

meh

QUOTE(Alison @ Sat 7th March 2009, 5:34pm) *

Indeed. It could be any of a number of other people that immediately come to mind, actually. I count four of five Chix members on WR right now, with little effort I'd also really like to know who it was who did leak that info, but he ain't tellin' (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/dry.gif)

Of those, which others took up the strange position that it is more acceptable for Proabivouac to have access to that material than it is for Kylu?
+Quote Post
Alison

Skinny Cow!

Member No.: 1,806

QUOTE(Random832 @ Sat 7th March 2009, 9:38am) *

Of those, which others took up the strange position that it is more acceptable for Proabivouac to have access to that material than it is for Kylu?

Listen to what Lara is saying. It could be any of a number of others - not even WR folks - that were silent on the matter. It's that simple. You're judging based on the one or two you see on here.
+Quote Post
wikiwhistle

Postmaster

QUOTE(Alison @ Sat 7th March 2009, 5:41pm) *

QUOTE(Random832 @ Sat 7th March 2009, 9:38am) *

Listen to what Lara is saying. It could be any of a number of others - not even WR folks - that were silent on the matter. It's that simple. You're judging based on the one or two you see on here.

Are you saying I said that, Random, because I don't think that I would say that exactly, and I'm not sure what context that was in. What I can say is that I've never leaked anything off wikichix, and I've sworn to them that I haven't, however I've heard that several people are leaking info from there. I don't know who those people are, and that action is not condoned by me.

This post has been edited by wikiwhistle:
+Quote Post
Random832

meh

QUOTE(wikiwhistle @ Sun 8th March 2009, 12:01am) *

Are you saying I said that, Random, because I don't think that I would say that exactly, and I'm not sure what context that was in. What I can say is that I've never leaked anything off wikichix, and I've sworn to them that I haven't, however I've heard that several people are leaking info from there. I don't know who those people are, and that action is not condoned by me.

All I'm saying is you didn't seem particularly concerned about it at the time, contrasted with the kind of crap you were saying about Kylu being on the list. You even made jokes about it (at Kylu's expense, no less).
+Quote Post
Proabivouac

Bane of all wikiland

Group: Contributors

QUOTE(Random832 @ Sun 8th March 2009, 12:27am) *

QUOTE(wikiwhistle @ Sun 8th March 2009, 12:01am) *

All I'm saying is you didn't seem particularly concerned about it at the time, contrasted with the kind of crap you were saying about Kylu being on the list. You even made jokes about it (at Kylu's expense, no less).

First, you demand evidence, and condemn that an accusation would be made without presenting it. When evidence is presented, you condemn that.

Lar has a problem, and lots of people know about it, but cover for him because he has power. Kylu is one of those who knew about it, but instead of backing whistleblowers he knew firsthand were telling the truth, he misused his admin powers to silence them. That's your Pristine Happy Magic Kingdom that was polluted and spoiled by this horrible leak (and there's more where that came from.)

Say, Random, you live in the same town as Kylu, and you're both coders…are you his friend IRL?

+Quote Post
Son of a Yeti

High altitude member

Member No.: 8,704

QUOTE(Proabivouac @ Sat 7th March 2009, 6:25pm) *

Say, Random, you live in the same town as Kylu, and you're both coders…are you his friend IRL?

Say, Proab, you have views as opposite to mine as those of JzG...are you his friend IRL?

(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/evilgrin.gif)

This post has been edited by Son of a Yeti:
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
A Horse With No Name   Tanthalas39 to Wikipedia: Go f**k yourself  
LaraLove   He came back two days later. Two days is the ave...  
A Horse With No Name   He came back two days later. Two days is the av...  
EricBarbour   And yet, you returned. Masochist. Crazy man. Fool...  
Son of a Yeti   And yet, you returned. Masochist. Crazy man. Foo...  
Cla68   Almost without exception, every time I hear of a W...  
Moulton   I believe the lack of an effective governance stru...  
UseOnceAndDestroy   To my mind, the lack of a functional community go...  
Alison   Almost without exception, every time I hear of a ...  
EricBarbour   [quote name='Cla68' post='159789' date='Thu 5th Ma...  
everyking   [quote name='Cla68' post='159789' date='Thu 5th M...  
LaraLove   I haven't observed an increase. I used to hea...  
A Horse With No Name   Almost without exception, every time I hear of a ...  
Cla68   Almost without exception, every time I hear of a...  
Anonymous editor   Admins are quitting constantly.  
Alison   Admins are quitting constantly. I just did :o Ca...  
A Horse With No Name   Admins are quitting constantly. I just did :o C...  
Bottled_Spider   Admins are quitting constantly.And Milton is right...  
Son of a Yeti   Milton is right in that the individual simply c...  
wikiwhistle   Admins are quitting constantly. I just did :o C...  
Random832   [quote name='Alison' post='159831' date='Fri 6th ...  
UseOnceAndDestroy   What was the last straw? Mail me if you prefer....  
wikiwhistle   What was the last straw? Mail me if you prefer...  
Random832   I have never leaked anything to Proab from anyone...  
wikiwhistle   I have never leaked anything to Proab from anyon...  
Alison   [quote name='wikiwhistle' post='160017' date='Sat...  
wikiwhistle   [quote name='Random832' post='160037' date='Sat 7...  
Random832   It's all subjective (and therefore you will sa...  
Sarcasticidealist   Post evidence, Random, or drop it.Per dtobias...  
GlassBeadGame   [quote name='wikiwhistle' post='160017' date='Sa...  
Anonymous editor   [quote name='Anonymous editor' post='159825' date...  
Moulton   Dramaturgical Regurgitations And I propose to le...  
EricBarbour   Eric Barbour pretty much got it right when he desc...  
Son of a Yeti   Sorry you had to quit, Alison. Please don't b...  
Random832   ...or that he doesn't have a female crony on ...  
LaraLove   ...or that he doesn't have a female crony on...  
wikiwhistle   [quote name='wikiwhistle' post='160090' date='Sun...  
GlassBeadGame   Say, Random, you live in the same town as Kylu,...  
Random832   First, you demand evidence, and condemn that an a...  
LaraLove   It's not ipso facto anything, any more than p...  
GlassBeadGame   It's not ipso facto anything, any more than ...  
LaraLove   [quote name='Alison' post='160053' date='Sat 7th ...  
Alison   [quote name='Alison' post='160053' date='Sat 7th...  
GlassBeadGame   [quote name='Alison' post='160053' date='Sat 7th...  
tarantino   This branch of the thread has seriously drifted of...  
LaraLove   This branch of the thread has seriously drifted o...  
Jon Awbrey   Somewhat lost in the hustle and bustle of Wiki-dr...  
Bottled_Spider   I'm guessing he had to run out for [url=http:/...  
LaraLove   First, you demand evidence, and condemn that an a...  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)