FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
GNAA articles in the userspace -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> Help

This subforum is for critical evaluation of Wikipedia articles. However, to reduce topic-bloat, please make note of exceptionally poor stubs, lists, and other less attention-worthy material in the Miscellaneous Grab Bag thread. Also, please be aware that agents of the Wikimedia Foundation might use your evaluations to improve the articles in question.

Useful Links: Featured Article CandidatesFeatured Article ReviewArticles for DeletionDeletion Review

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> GNAA articles in the userspace, How the bureaucracy won't leave users alone
Michaeldsuarez

Ãœber Member

Group: Contributors
Member No.: 24,428

I'm tire of the thread I started at the ED forum not receiving any attention, so I'm starting a thread on the topic here as well.

On August 9, 2010, I noticed that Jimbo interfered with a GNAA article in the userspace. This was also the day I realized that I needed a WR account in order to talk to the WP critics.

Not much happened to Riffic's article, but on August 27, 2010, "Murdox" (possibly a GNAA sympathizer or member) created his own GNAA article in the userspace. Less than a hour later, PeterSymonds deleted the article and blocked Murdox. Alison reversed these actions.

Today, a MfD case is being held. So the question is: Should these sorts of articles be allowed in the userspace?

This post has been edited by Michaeldsuarez:
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

Group: Regulars

* Strong delete – do not feed the trolls. –MuZemike 18:27, 1 September 2010 (UTC)
o The only trolls here seem to be the deletionists this time around. LiteralKa (talk) 19:11, 1 September 2010 (UTC)
+ Watch who you're calling a "deletionist" LiteralKa. Some people can actually see past this ruse. –MuZemike 19:50, 1 September 2010 (UTC)
# So legitimate content is a "ruse" now? LiteralKa (talk) 20:00, 1 September 2010 (UTC)
* I don't know. What else would you call freenode IRC canvassing in the form of "EDIT THIS SHIT FAGGOTS". In my opinion, this whole situation stinks. –MuZemike 20:05, 1 September 2010 (UTC)
o That wasn't even on Freenode. Additionally: When in Rome... LiteralKa (talk) 20:06, 1 September 2010 (UTC)
+ But they have been trolling the #freenode channel severely to the point where the ops had to shut the channel down. They've also repeated their terror on similar WP-related channels. –MuZemike 20:09, 1 September 2010 (UTC)
# How is that even relevant to canvassing? LiteralKa (talk) 20:10, 1 September 2010 (UTC)
* Because it's a clear attempt by this organization to wedge their article back on WP, and they're trying to do it by any means necessary. This is not the only time this has been attempted, either. –MuZemike 20:12, 1 September 2010 (UTC)
o So trolling IRC networks is really an attempt to get a wiki article? LiteralKa (talk) 20:13, 1 September 2010 (UTC)
+ That would be right. I can vouch for that, and so can others, including DiegoGrez above. –MuZemike 20:15, 1 September 2010 (UTC)
# Also, speaking of "trying to do it by any means necessary", deletionists did that to the old mainspace article dozens of times.
-------------------------------------------

**This is all off-wiki. Additionally, it seems you've mistaken a topic on a completely separate IRC network for freenode canvassing. Also, I'd like to point you to WP:IDONTLIKEIT Murdox (talk) 20:25, 1 September 2010 (UTC)

o
+ And seriously, when does canvasing even matter for an *article*. There is no vote to change. LiteralKa (talk) 20:28, 1 September 2010 (UTC)
# Don't throw IDONTLIKEIT in my face; I know very well what that means. I am not changing my !vote, period. –MuZemike 20:33, 1 September 2010 (UTC)
* So now you have no point to make, and still wish to keep the vote? Very well. LiteralKa (talk) 20:35, 1 September 2010 (UTC)
o Figuring how this MFD is going, I'll see you at AFD #19. –MuZemike 20:36, 1 September 2010 (UTC)
+ So not only do you wish to keep trying, but you want to have yet another AFD. Don't game the system. LiteralKa (talk) 20:38, 1 September 2010 (UTC)
# Who said I was going to nominate it? Somebody eventually will, especially for something contentious as this. –MuZemike 20:40, 1 September 2010 (UTC)
* I sure didn't. Oh, I see you're included in CAT:RESTORE. Would it be at all possible to provide me with a copy of the old GNAA article? Thank you in advance. LiteralKa (talk) 20:43, 1 September 2010 (UTC)
o Despite our disagreements, I can do that. Wiki-page or email? –MuZemike 20:45, 1 September 2010 (UTC)
+ Wikipage would be more appropriate/useful. LiteralKa (talk) 20:47, 1 September 2010 (UTC)
# YesY Done User:LiteralKa/Gay Nigger Association of America –MuZemike 20:58, 1 September 2010 (UTC)
* Thank you. LiteralKa (talk) 21:00, 1 September 2010 (UTC)

Assholes.

This post has been edited by EricBarbour:
+Quote Post
CharlotteWebb

Postmaster General

QUOTE(non-controversial material removed by Jimbo)

Other members involve a developer of Debian Linux[6]. Sam Hocevar, a former Debian Project Leader, has been questioned in the past regarding his affiliation with the GNAA on a public mailing list[7]

Sam's affiliation with the GNAA is beyond dispute. Despite being widely known at the time of his RFA, this earned him only six oppose votes. His performance as an admin was well above average.

He hosts a goatse tribute site, available at http://sam.zoy.org/goatse/ and cited in the goatse article on WP.

(IMG:http://i52.tinypic.com/5afkm9.jpg)

He also designed the GNAA corporate logo.
(IMG:http://i51.tinypic.com/skyp3t.png)
+Quote Post
Michaeldsuarez

Ãœber Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...ser:Murdox/GNAA

The MfD has been closed. I didn't realize these sort of discussions close so fast.

Also, I believe the the MfD simply attracted a new contributor to the article: LiteralKa (T-C-L-K-R-D) . The Streisand effect at work.

+Quote Post
Alison

Skinny Cow!

Member No.: 1,806

QUOTE(CharlotteWebb @ Wed 1st September 2010, 3:00pm) *

Sam's affiliation with the GNAA is beyond dispute. Despite being widely known at the time of his RFA, this earned him only six oppose votes. His performance as an admin was well above average.

He hosts a goatse tribute site, available at http://sam.zoy.org/goatse/ and cited in the goatse article on WP.

[snip]

He also designed the GNAA corporate logo.
(IMG:http://i51.tinypic.com/skyp3t.png)

I'm not sure if he actually designed that logo, but he certainly produced the Commons one which, BTW, I've now restored seeing as it's actively being used again.
+Quote Post
Alison

Skinny Cow!

QUOTE(Michaeldsuarez @ Wed 1st September 2010, 2:12pm) *

Not much happened to Riffic's article, but on August 27, 2010, "Murdox" (possibly a GNAA sympathizer or member) created his own GNAA article in the userspace. Less than a hour later, PeterSymonds deleted the article and blocked Murdox. Alison reversed these actions.

I've no comment either way on the article, but that block was completely out of order. When PeterSymonds was called on it, he realized it was a bit off & I unblocked. The guy hadn't actually done anything whatsoever on-wiki, and WP doesn't block for off-wiki stuff ... right? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(Michaeldsuarez @ Wed 1st September 2010, 5:12pm) *

On August 9, 2010, I noticed that Jimbo interfered with a GNAA article in the userspace.

There is one reason, and probably one reason only, why Jimbo got involved with this matter... his desire to get in Julia Allison's pants.

This post has been edited by thekohser:
+Quote Post
MZMcBride

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(Alison @ Wed 1st September 2010, 11:46pm) *
I'm not sure if he actually designed that logo, but he certainly produced the Commons one which, BTW, I've now restored seeing as it's actively being used again.
That should be an SVG, surely.
+Quote Post
Alison

Skinny Cow!

QUOTE(MZMcBride @ Wed 1st September 2010, 11:15pm) *

Someone else can do it (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/bored.gif) At least the colours are right now ...
+Quote Post
Michaeldsuarez

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(Alison @ Thu 2nd September 2010, 7:16am) *

QUOTE(MZMcBride @ Wed 1st September 2010, 11:15pm) *

Someone else can do it (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/bored.gif) At least the colours are right now ...

http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?t...e:Gnaa_logo.svg

There's already a SVG vector version.
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

I have as much free time as a Wikipedia admin!

QUOTE(Alison @ Wed 1st September 2010, 11:51pm) *
...and WP doesn't block for off-wiki stuff ... right? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/dry.gif)

(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/evilgrin.gif)
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(CharlotteWebb @ Wed 1st September 2010, 6:00pm) *

Looks like one I've seen before. Am I thinking of KPMG?
+Quote Post
Michaeldsuarez

Ãœber Member

Another GNAA Deletion Review has been started.
+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

#

# Request: LiteralKa, please provide links to the sources that establish notability. Please provide no more than four such links. Thanks, Cunard (talk) 04:28, 6 September 2010 (UTC)

* [1], Establishes link between Goatsec and GNAA, [2], and [3]. LiteralKa (talk) 04:39, 6 September 2010 (UTC)
o The first source provides little information about the group; GNAA is only mentioned as an example to: "The “find a group” section of the new Barack Obama social network contains a hard coded racial and sexual orientation slur." The article does not delve into the history or activities of GNAA. The second article mentions GNAA in passing. I was not able to find any mention of GNAA in the third and fourth sources.

Unless reliable sources that discuss GNAA in a nontrivial manner are found, my position is keep deleted. Cunard (talk) 05:01, 6 September 2010 (UTC)
+ The second link establishes a connection between the GNAA and Goatsec. Pay attention. LiteralKa (talk) 05:21, 6 September 2010 (UTC)
# Yes, but that is still a passing mention. Wikipedia:Notability#General notability guideline requires significant coverage in reliable sources. Cunard (talk) 05:38, 6 September 2010 (UTC)
# I'm not entirely sure why my userspace draft has already been put up for the DRV, but I'd like to offer [4] as a non-trivial publication reference. Murdox (talk) 05:25, 6 September 2010 (UTC)
* Much better; this brings GNAA closer to passing Wikipedia:Notability but is not enough. Are there more nontrivial reliable sources? Cunard (talk) 05:38, 6 September 2010 (UTC)
o this and everything that covered the iPad incident. LiteralKa (talk) 05:41, 6 September 2010 (UTC)

Still assholes.
+Quote Post
diegogrez

Neophyte

Member No.: 18,807

In effect, both Murdox and LiteralKa are part of the GNAA IRC network. Murdox is an op there, and LiteralKa is voiced. There must be something special with that hierarchy (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/biggrin.gif)

http://diegogrez.users.source forge.net/wiki/images/Gnaa_IRC_Log.jpg
+Quote Post
Michaeldsuarez

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(diegogrez @ Tue 7th September 2010, 3:32am) *

Your URL link was broken. I fixed it here.
+Quote Post
diegogrez

Neophyte

QUOTE(Michaeldsuarez @ Mon 6th September 2010, 11:34pm) *

Yeah, dunno what happened there.
+Quote Post
Michaeldsuarez

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(diegogrez @ Tue 7th September 2010, 4:36am) *

No problem. Nice to see the guy who Wikipedia:Miscellany_for_deletion/User:Murdox/GNAA here. I guess that you really dislike the GNAA IRC. Out of curiosity, have you ever interacted with the GNAA (or vice versa), or did you simply "lurked" their channel?

+Quote Post
diegogrez

Neophyte

QUOTE(Michaeldsuarez @ Mon 6th September 2010, 11:50pm) *

QUOTE(diegogrez @ Tue 7th September 2010, 4:36am) *

No problem. Nice to see the guy who Wikipedia:Miscellany_for_deletion/User:Murdox/GNAA here. I guess that you really dislike the GNAA IRC. Out of curiosity, have you ever interacted with the GNAA (or vice versa), or did you simply "lurked" their channel?

The only interactions with the GNAA have been when I nominated the userspace article for deletion and when I "lurked" ( (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/rolleyes.gif) ) their channel
+Quote Post
Rat Monkey

Neophyte

Group: Members

The only interactions with the GNAA have been when I nominated the userspace article for deletion and when I "lurked" ( (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/rolleyes.gif) ) their channel

Then what's up with your fascination and incessant discussion about someone's user space draft? Grow up.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)