FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
WikiAlpha -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> General Discussion? What's that all about?

This subforum is for general discussion of Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects. For a glossary of terms frequently used in such discussions, please refer to Wikipedia:Glossary. For a glossary of musical terms, see here. Other useful links:

Akahele.orgWikipedia-WatchWikitruthWP:ANWikiEN-L/Foundation-L (mailing lists) • Citizendium forums

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> WikiAlpha, New kids
Emperor

Postmaster

Group: Regulars

School me on this place - WikiAlpha.

Is it like Wikipedia but more inclusionist? Their Aboutus doesn't say much.

What's with the Public Domain license?

Anyway, looks good and I'm happy to see another alternative to Wikipedia getting off the ground.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Michaeldsuarez

Ãœber Member

Group: Contributors
Member No.: 24,428

QUOTE(Emperor @ Mon 23rd January 2012, 1:20pm) *

School me on this place - WikiAlpha.

Is it like Wikipedia but more inclusionist?

Yes.

http://en.wikialpha.org/wiki/Special:SaveArticle
+Quote Post
Tarc

Fat Cat

First came the spam

AN/I: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Adm..._from_Wikialpha

Their version of events: http://en.wikialpha.org/wiki/Wikipedia%27s...nt_of_WikiAlpha

For a time, they were e-mailing people whose article went to AfD if they wanted to copy it to their new project, a sort of Land of Misfit Toys for deleted content. This attracted the attention of User:Mathewignash (T-H-L-K-D), a transformer...enthusiast. (I am unable to be as colorful as I usually am in regards to this person, per this).

Unfortunately for the alphas, none but Mr. Mathew there took an avid interest in this project, so it is for all intents and purposes his personal Transformers space.
+Quote Post
Michaeldsuarez

Ãœber Member

Member No.: 24,428

QUOTE(Tarc @ Mon 23rd January 2012, 2:16pm) *

For a time, they were e-mailing people whose article went to AfD if they wanted to copy it to their new project, a sort of Land of Misfit Toys for deleted content. This attracted the attention of User:Mathewignash (T-H-L-K-D), a transformer...enthusiast. (I am unable to be as colorful as I usually am in regards to this person, per this).

Unfortunately for the alphas, none but Mr. Mathew there took an avid interest in this project, so it is for all intents and purposes his personal Transformers space.

Why doesn't Mathewignash go to tfwiki.net? It must be lonely being the only active user on WikiAlpha.
+Quote Post
Tarc

Fat Cat

QUOTE(Michaeldsuarez @ Mon 23rd January 2012, 3:14pm) *

Why doesn't Mathewignash go to tfwiki.net? It must be lonely being the only active user on WikiAlpha.

IIRC from another AN/I discussion, they banned him. That sockpuppet that shows up and mass nominates Transformers article is a guy form tfwiki.

+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

QUOTE(Tarc @ Mon 23rd January 2012, 11:16am) *

(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif)

The Man-Boys don't like WikiAlpha...because they can't control it.

This post has been edited by EricBarbour:
+Quote Post
melloden

QUOTE(Michaeldsuarez @ Mon 23rd January 2012, 8:14pm) *

Apart from SaveArticleBot, you mean?

Someone was having a little fun there, and it wasn't Mathewignash this time.
+Quote Post
Poor puffed-up popinjay

Neophyte

Grawp wannabe?
+Quote Post
Fusion

QUOTE(Poor puffed-up popinjay @ Wed 29th February 2012, 6:36pm) *

Welcome to the site, Poor. Could you do something about your avatar please. It is over 9MB and takes a long time to load. Here is a thumbnail version;

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...at_poster_2.jpg

Thanks.
+Quote Post
mbz1

QUOTE(Fusion @ Wed 29th February 2012, 10:47pm) *

QUOTE(Poor puffed-up popinjay @ Wed 29th February 2012, 6:36pm) *

Welcome to the site, Poor. Could you do something about your avatar please. It is over 9MB and takes a long time to load. Here is a thumbnail version;

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...at_poster_2.jpg

Thanks.

It looks like this is a wiki of a single user http://en.wikialpha.org/wiki/Special:RecentChanges
+Quote Post
Fusion

QUOTE(mbz1 @ Thu 1st March 2012, 7:51pm) *

It looks like this is a wiki of a single user http://en.wikialpha.org/wiki/Special:RecentChanges

Very nearly this is so.

http://en.wikialpha.org/wiki/Special:ActiveUsers

Only four users have edited, one of whom is a bot and another a vandal now blocked. Thus the only other user is Govind who has made just 13 edits to Mathewignash who has made 1,649.

+Quote Post
Emperor

Postmaster

QUOTE(mbz1 @ Thu 1st March 2012, 2:51pm) *

gotta start somewhere
+Quote Post
Tarc

Fat Cat

QUOTE(Emperor @ Thu 1st March 2012, 5:46pm) *

QUOTE(mbz1 @ Thu 1st March 2012, 2:51pm) *

gotta start somewhere

I pointed this out over a month ago, and a few times before that. Its web presence is virtually non-existent, attempts to drum up support from other fanboys is met with silence.

Sad, really.
+Quote Post
Text

I pointed this out over a month ago, and a few times before that. Its web presence is virtually non-existent, attempts to drum up support from other fanboys is met with silence.

Sad, really.

Most of the time, creating a detailed reference source for fictional things is a bad use of free time.
But in a few cases, people can get paid well for maintaining and archiving information about fictional universes from books and movies. For example, see Leland Chee.
Details of his job and duties are here: http://www.linkedin.com/in/holocron

QUOTE(Leland Chee)
Since Star Wars has become my job, it's been impossible for me to watch the films in the same way again. I'm too busy looking for which background character hasn't been named or trying to figure out how many days it took to fly from Dagobah to Bespin. However, while the actual experience of watching the films has changed for me, my love for Star Wars has not."

This post has been edited by Text:
+Quote Post
Emperor

Postmaster

QUOTE(Tarc @ Thu 1st March 2012, 5:59pm) *

Sad, really.

The sad thing would be if he stayed on Wikipedia, creating content and arguing against deletionists.

Or even sadder, if he went to Wikia and made $$$ for Wales and co.

Starting his own site was actually a very sane thing to do. Even with one guy, it's got enough content and is active enough that Alexa will soon start to notice.

The mentality that says anything but big websites is a waste of time really makes no sense to me. Yes, Wikipedia as a whole gets a bjillion views but your work degrades there so fast, it's not even worth it. On a little site your work could remain intact for years and get many more views (assuming views is your only reason for creating web content).

Look at what happened with Knol. How many people were suckered into that colossal time-waste?
+Quote Post
Detective

QUOTE(Emperor @ Fri 2nd March 2012, 1:48am) *

The mentality that says anything but big websites is a waste of time really makes no sense to me. Yes, Wikipedia as a whole gets a bjillion views but your work degrades there so fast, it's not even worth it. On a little site your work could remain intact for years and get many more views (assuming views is your only reason for creating web content).

Let me guess. You are urging people to use small Wikis for writing their articles. But where oh where can you find a small general purpose Wiki that is sufficiently friendly? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/mellow.gif)
+Quote Post
Guido den Broeder

Feel free to join Wikisage.
+Quote Post
Tarc

Fat Cat

QUOTE(Leland Chee)
Since Star Wars has become my job, it's been impossible for me to watch the films in the same way again. I'm too busy looking for which background character hasn't been named or trying to figure out how many days it took to fly from Dagobah to Bespin. However, while the actual experience of watching the films has changed for me, my love for Star Wars has not."

This post has been edited by Tarc:
+Quote Post
Tarc

Fat Cat

QUOTE(Emperor @ Thu 1st March 2012, 8:48pm) *

Starting his own site was actually a very sane thing to do. Even with one guy, it's got enough content and is active enough that Alexa will soon start to notice.

He didn't start it, it was started by a deleted article scraper that seems to have abandoned his project. Mr. TF Fan there only uses it because he's been booted out of everywhere else.

Alexa? Yea, 5,163,154 and counting. Watch out google! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/evilgrin.gif)

You seem to be suffering from a "whoever opposes Wikipedia is automatically awesome" fallacy.
+Quote Post
Emperor

Postmaster

QUOTE(Tarc @ Fri 2nd March 2012, 8:28pm) *

You seem to be suffering from a "whoever opposes Wikipedia is automatically awesome" fallacy.

Not at all. It's not opposing Wikipedia to start your own wiki. Wikipedia is great at some things but it can't be perfect at everything. Having more options is best for everybody.

In the early days the idea was that Wikipedia and scores of other wikis would get along and help each other. The idea is still around, but not helped by the attitude if you work off Wikipedia you're some kind of loser or traitor.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)