FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Jimbo and handwriting analysis -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Jimbo and handwriting analysis, autographs and signatures, oh my!
thekohser

Group: Regulars

When asked if he would provide a digital scan of his signature, Jimmy Wales was blunt with his negative response:

I agree with Fram. We really should not have images like that. Certainly, I wouldn't upload mine.--[[User:Jimbo Wales|Jimbo Wales]] ([[User talk:Jimbo Wales#top|talk]]) 08:42, 5 May 2010 (UTC)

Now, all joking aside about what it means to "agree with Fram", an idiot in his own right, isn't Jimbo being a bit silly about this autograph thing, considering his signature is a matter of public record, not only with Pinellas County (Hi, Christine!), but even with the State of Florida (Sorry, Alex Roshuk!).

Per usual, Jimbo also contends that it's perfectly okay for Wikipedia to feature signatures of other people, just not his own.

Anybody know any handwriting analysts, or is that all bunk?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
One

Postmaster General

Group: Contributors

QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 8th June 2010, 4:32pm) *

When asked if he would provide a digital scan of his signature, Jimmy Wales was blunt with his negative response:

I agree with Fram. We really should not have images like that. Certainly, I wouldn't upload mine.--[[User:Jimbo Wales|Jimbo Wales]] ([[User talk:Jimbo Wales#top|talk]]) 08:42, 5 May 2010 (UTC)

Now, all joking aside about what it means to "agree with Fram", an idiot in his own right, isn't Jimbo being a bit silly about this autograph thing, considering his signature is a matter of public record, not only with Pinellas County (Hi, Christine!), but even with the State of Florida (Sorry, Alex Roshuk!).

Per usual, Jimbo also contends that it's perfectly okay for Wikipedia to feature signatures of other people, just not his own.

So I suppose you think most people would happily upload their signature upon request? Really? Where's yours?

EDIT: What I'm trying to ask is: what has Jimmy done wrong here? Let's pretend he's not Jimmy Wales and you're not thekohser. From this initial position, what signatures should be in a encyclopedia-like reference work? It seems to me that the answer here is "the famous ones," and that Jimmy Wales is not doing anything shady by agreeing with that standard.

This post has been edited by One:
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

Known alias of J. Random Troll

QUOTE(One @ Tue 8th June 2010, 9:39am) *

EDIT: What I'm trying to ask is: what has Jimmy done wrong here? Let's pretend he's not Jimmy Wales and you're not thekohser. From this initial position, what signatures should be in a encyclopedia-like reference work? It seems to me that the answer here is "the famous ones," and that Jimmy Wales is not doing anything shady by agreeing with that standard.

Surely he is. Because Jimbo has never adequately addressed the question of what it means to be "famous" (for which the moving line on WP is called "notable"). Wales figures he himself is notable enough for a BP, but not notable enough to let other people add embarassing info to it. Carolyn Doran was notable enough for a BP when she was WMF's COO, but BECAME not notable (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/blink.gif) when it came out that she had a big criminal record for DUI and battery and had been arrested yet again for yet another DUI plus parole violation, plus had used the WMF credit card to make bail. There are new mugshots and national news articles about the case of this felonius COO, but now she's NOT notable. You see the problem?
+Quote Post
dogbiscuit

Could you run through Verifiability not Truth once more?

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,015

QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 8th June 2010, 5:32pm) *

To be fair, he was doing his "You are not going to like this answer but I don't think there should be signatures, but I am not going to say it directly, oh, and you are not going to make me part of the argument because I might get screwed over by my own site" thing.

A more charitable view is that he is brewing up to suggesting a SLP policy (no Signatures of Living people) though dear old Hipocryte is certain that the world must have signatures of "public sector executives" (presumably along with senior oil executives too), a particularly bizarre selection criteria to me.
+Quote Post
thekohser

I find it humorous, too, when someone forgets to sign their middle name!

"One", my signature needn't be given over to the free culture movement that you are a part of because I didn't solely found Wikipedia, nor do I have an article about me on Wikipedia, which we all know is the final arbiter of whether a signature ought to be uploaded under a free license or not. There are 1,435 of them, you know.

But, to be fair to you free culturists, I tried finding a public record of my signature in either New Castle County, Delaware, or in Chester County, Pennsylvania (where I've owned homes), and it seems that PA has truncated the files to only include the first couple of pages, and Delaware requires you to have a paying account set up to access files. So, if you can find my signature online, I'll be happy to post it to Wikipedia Review.

Oh, maybe Florida would have my signature, since I got married in the same county in which Jimbo married Christine. Talk about STALKING!

Edit: Whoops, Florida makes it more difficult to get marriage records than they do property transfers.

(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/yak.gif)

This post has been edited by thekohser:
+Quote Post
One

Postmaster General

QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 8th June 2010, 5:20pm) *

"One", my signature needn't be given over to the free culture movement that you are a part of because I didn't solely found Wikipedia, nor do I have an article about me on Wikipedia, which we all know is the final arbiter of whether a signature ought to be uploaded under a free license or not.

I disagree with this standard. Jimmy Wales explicitly does, and it appears you do as well.

It appears the vast majority of them are dead or people with arguably notable signatures (presidents). Very low on the list of BLP problems.

There are also pictures of people clutching their genitals on Wikipedia. If Jimbo were to decline to post such a picture of himself, and opine that perhaps we shouldn't have such pictures to begin with, that wouldn't make him a hypocrite. That would make him right. He seems to be right on this issue.
+Quote Post
John Limey

QUOTE(One @ Tue 8th June 2010, 6:48pm) *

QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 8th June 2010, 5:20pm) *

"One", my signature needn't be given over to the free culture movement that you are a part of because I didn't solely found Wikipedia, nor do I have an article about me on Wikipedia, which we all know is the final arbiter of whether a signature ought to be uploaded under a free license or not.

I disagree with this standard. Jimmy Wales explicitly does, and it appears you do as well.

It appears the vast majority of them are dead or people with arguably notable signatures (presidents). Very low on the list of BLP problems.

There are also pictures of people clutching their genitals on Wikipedia. If Jimbo were to decline to post such a picture of himself, and opine that perhaps we shouldn't have such pictures to begin with, that wouldn't make him a hypocrite. That would make him right. He seems to be right on this issue.

I tend to agree that Jimbo's action do not, at this point, constitute hypocrisy. If, however, someone were to upload a copy of his signature and add it to the article, then he removed it while maintaining that other living people's signatures do belong on Wikipedia, then his actions would be hypocritical.
+Quote Post
gomi

QUOTE(One @ Tue 8th June 2010, 10:48am) *

Why don't we simply start IdentityTheft-o-Pedia? We can post people's signatures, Social Security Numbers ("not to be used for identification!"), and so forth. That surely makes sense?

Meh. Greg, I hate it when you force me to agree with One / Cool Hand Luke. The question of whether or not to post anyone's signature is not informed by the distinct question of whether to post the signature of a President of the US.

On the other hand, I would support posting a picture of an Arbcom member clutching Jimbo Wales' genitals. That would be encyclopedic.
+Quote Post
victim of censorship

Not all thugs are Wikipediots, but all Wikipediots are thugs.

Member No.: 9,640

QUOTE(gomi @ Tue 8th June 2010, 6:17pm) *

QUOTE(One @ Tue 8th June 2010, 10:48am) *

Why don't we simply start IdentityTheft-o-Pedia? We can post people's signatures, Social Security Numbers ("not to be used for identification!"), and so forth. That surely makes sense?

Meh. Greg, I hate it when you force me to agree with One / Cool Hand Luke. The question of whether or not to post anyone's signature is not informed by the distinct question of whether to post the signature of a President of the US.

On the other hand, I would support posting a picture of an Arbcom member clutching Jimbo Wales' genitals. That would be encyclopedic.

Posting pictures of JIMMY WALES genitalia on Wikipedia would be the problem due to the small size of said genitalia
+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

Member No.: 3,670

QUOTE(gomi @ Tue 8th June 2010, 2:17pm) *

Especially if it were a Michael Jackson song parody video.
+Quote Post
Kelly Martin

Bring back the guttersnipes!

Member No.: 6,696

I am of the opinion that the only signatures that are of encyclopedic interest are those of heads of state, those acting in the stead of heads of state (e.g. ambassadors), and other parties who have signed documents of great cultural significance such as the Magna Carte, the US Declaration of Independence, or the Instrument of Surrender ending World War II. As far as I know, Jimmy Wales falls into none of these categories.
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Tue 8th June 2010, 12:28pm) *

I am of the opinion that the only signatures that are of encyclopedic interest are those of heads of state, those acting in the stead of heads of state (e.g. ambassadors), and other parties who have signed documents of great cultural significance such as the Magna Carte, the US Declaration of Independence, or the Instrument of Surrender ending World War II. As far as I know, Jimmy Wales falls into none of these categories.

(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif) Good luck with the signatures on Magna Carta. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Tue 8th June 2010, 3:28pm) *

What about the document that formally declared that the Wikimedia Foundation would not be the membership organization that attorney Alex Roshuk had drafted it to be, but rather a non-membership organization entirely controlled by a board of trustees, as attorney Brad Patrick believed it should be?

We have a signature of Jimmy Wales on that document.

I'm really disappointed that some of the participants here have forgotten who coined the vision statement:

Imagine a world in which every single person on the planet is given free access to the sum of all human knowledge. That's what we're doing.
(source - July 28, 2004)

What is it about the word "all" that we're having trouble with here?

How's this -- I'll take down the signatures when Flagged Revisions goes live. How's that?
+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

Member No.: 3,670

The problem with the sum of all human knowledge is that those holding the power cards on WP are not bothering to consult the most important legacy of that body of knowledge, as it informs those in power how to use their power wisely and ethically for the benefit of all mankind.
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 8th June 2010, 1:27pm) *

I'm really disappointed that some of the participants here have forgotten who coined the vision statement:

Imagine a world in which every single person on the planet is given free access to the sum of all human knowledge. That's what we're doing.
(source - July 28, 2004)

The part where it's understood with the traditional qualification that "all" means "all that doesn't violate the law or embarass Jimbo Wales."

The history of WP criticism is the history of outrage that the WMF in general, and Jimbo and Wikia in particular, do not think that the rules which apply to everybody else, should apply to them.

Yes, I know that's freshly shocking every time we run up against it. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/sick.gif) (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/ohmy.gif) (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/sick.gif) (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/ohmy.gif)

But there it is. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/confused.gif) (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
gomi

(source - July 28, 2004)

Knowledge ≠ Data
Wikipedia ≠ Knowledge
+Quote Post
Cedric

General Gato

Member No.: 1,116

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Tue 8th June 2010, 3:33pm) *

(source - July 28, 2004)

The part where it's understood with the traditional qualification that "all" means "all that doesn't violate the law or embarass Jimbo Wales."

The history of WP criticism is the history of outrage that the WMF in general, and Jimbo and Wikia in particular, do not think that the rules which apply to everybody else, should apply to them.

Yes, I know that's freshly shocking every time we run up against it. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/sick.gif) (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/ohmy.gif) (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/sick.gif) (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/ohmy.gif)

But there it is. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/confused.gif) (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/blink.gif)

Well, I suppose that I would be embarrassed if I had handwriting like this childish-looking scrawl. But then, it's too small a sample to conclude much from anyway; maybe he was sick the day he signed that. In any event, I suspect that handwriting analysis has some limited uses, and beyond those is a bunch of hoodoo.
+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

QUOTE(gomi @ Tue 8th June 2010, 11:17am) *
On the other hand, I would support posting a picture of an ArbCom member clutching Jimbo Wales' genitals. That would be encyclopedic.

(IMG:http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss273/metasonix/oh_snap.gif)

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Tue 8th June 2010, 1:33pm) *

FTFY

This post has been edited by Somey:
+Quote Post
anthony

Postmaster

QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 8th June 2010, 4:32pm) *

Is this about the T-shirt?

(IMG:http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3c/Wikimedia_Conference_Berlin_-_Free_Travel_Shirt_%284044408%29.jpg)

QUOTE(One @ Tue 8th June 2010, 4:39pm) *

EDIT: What I'm trying to ask is: what has Jimmy done wrong here?

Argued for security through obscurity?
+Quote Post
thekohser

Here you go, all you haters! My signature does, in fact, grace a public document in Monroe County, Florida.

Furthermore, should Wikipedia Review ever become a Top 20 worldwide website, I will happily provide electronic signature autographs to 20 sycophants per month, provided that they ask nicely, with a proper deferential tone.

(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)