FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Jimbo pays woman to set up some Wikia pages -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Jimbo pays woman to set up some Wikia pages, she is enthralled
thekohser

Group: Regulars

Woman who can't seem to settle down to a real job commits to doing 100 jobs for $100 each. That's $10,000, folks -- still poverty level.

I don't even know what to say...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mi01qvxxWQ

This post has been edited by thekohser:
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Text

Group: Contributors

She could be a professional electronic sports player and earn much more, like Fatal1ty. He won a lot of consistent prizes which were well over 10,000 bucks each.
+Quote Post
SB_Johnny

It wasn't me who made honky-tonk angels

QUOTE(thekohser @ Wed 25th August 2010, 7:51pm) *

Woman who can't seem to settle down to a real job commits to doing 100 jobs for $100 each. That's $10,000, folks -- still poverty level.

Definitely must-see-TV. No idea what to say either... (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/wtf.gif)
+Quote Post
Subtle Bee

melli fera, fera...

Group: Inactive

QUOTE(SB_Johnny @ Wed 25th August 2010, 6:33pm) *

Definitely must-see-TV. No idea what to say either... (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/wtf.gif)

That's astonishing! I don't know what to say either-er!

That's right! I met you going down the stairs, and there was this young man who kept taking photos of us, and I asked the guy "who are you?" - Joe Francis - and you laughed, and that's how we started talking.

I can't make out what he says right after that, at 3:26 or so, right before the girls gone wild cover - anyone? Help?

I recommend everyone watch this video, with the caveat that after about 30sec of listening to her, I started smelling burnt popcorn. Did Jimbo understand his conversation was going direct to Youtube? Why is he hiring someone to do what he's built his empire on getting for free?

I'm not sure, but I think this might be awesome.
+Quote Post
cyofee

QUOTE(Text @ Thu 26th August 2010, 2:10am) *

She could be a professional electronic sports player and earn much more, like Fatal1ty. He won a lot of consistent prizes which were well over 10,000 bucks each.

For every successful pro gamer, there's bunch of nerds who try and fail. It's just like how not every kid who plays football gets to be as rich as Beckham.
+Quote Post
Text

For every successful pro gamer, there's bunch of nerds who try and fail. It's just like how not every kid who plays football gets to be as rich as Beckham.

And Jimbo is in fact a professional gamer in the middle of thousands of nerds. He's the only one playing the free encyclopedia game without much effort, and is getting almost all the money, with 10% going to his primary mates on the board.

Stop using his product and it will die. Now convince all the people out there to do the same, but they don't care!
+Quote Post
dogbiscuit

Could you run through Verifiability not Truth once more?

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,015

QUOTE(Subtle Bee @ Thu 26th August 2010, 6:23am) *

QUOTE(SB_Johnny @ Wed 25th August 2010, 6:33pm) *

That's astonishing! I don't know what to say either-er!

That's right! I met you going down the stairs, and there was this young man who kept taking photos of us, and I asked the guy "who are you?" - Joe Francis - and you laughed, and that's how we started talking.

I can't make out what he says right after that, at 3:26 or so, right before the girls gone wild cover - anyone? Help?

I recommend everyone watch this video, with the caveat that after about 30sec of listening to her, I started smelling burnt popcorn. Did Jimbo understand his conversation was going direct to Youtube? Why is he hiring someone to do what he's built his empire on getting for free?

I'm not sure, but I think this might be awesome.

He started talking because she was an attractive young lady, not the usual Wiki-nerd.

$100, less making the video of the call including editing, less international call charges, less cost of Blackberry and computer equipment. In labour and overheads she has already blown the $100, she is working for free.
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(Subtle Bee @ Thu 26th August 2010, 1:23am) *

Jimbo Wales: "Exactly. Yeah, I hate to disappoint, but I'm not Joe Francis, and he is." <self-laugh> <self-laugh>
+Quote Post
thekohser

And, if anyone is wondering, this silly woman met Jimbo in Montreal, at the same time that Tara Hunt (we discussed her here) was in that city. And, lo and behold, this silly Aimee Davison and Tara Hunt appear to be local karaoke pals.

I can't take it.
+Quote Post
Emperor

Postmaster

She seems nice. I think she's just networking. Probably will get bored with this and go to grad school soon.

Jimbo is the man, walking around with $10K checks he can hand out whenever he feels like it.
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(Emperor @ Thu 26th August 2010, 11:15am) *

She seems nice. I think she's just networking. Probably will get bored with this and go to grad school soon.

Jimbo is the man, walking around with $10K checks he can hand out whenever he feels like it.

Ermm... in this particular case, it's a $100 check he's handing out.
+Quote Post
Emperor

Postmaster

QUOTE(thekohser @ Thu 26th August 2010, 11:35am) *

QUOTE(Emperor @ Thu 26th August 2010, 11:15am) *

Ermm... in this particular case, it's a $100 check he's handing out.

My bad. Poor reading comprehension. I was thinking $100 per article x 100 articles.
+Quote Post
thekohser

Just prior to working for Wikia, Inc., Aimee was driven by bus for about 2 hours to a remote house in Sutton, Quebec, where she could play "construction worker" on a house. Lots of "upshorts" video shots, for all the guys in the audience.

Best quote: "What can you say about this big tool you have in your hand?"
+Quote Post
Cock-up-over-conspiracy

Now censored by flckr.com and who else ... ???

Middle aged encyclopedia salesman takes charming young D-list model, young enough to be daughter, to dinner and pays her $100 for the pleasure.
Middle aged encyclopedia salesman gives young model his personal phone number and hires her for a job in 2012!?!
Middle aged encyclopedia salesman encourages young model to call and calls her often to discuss "the job".

Did this $100 come out of his own pocket or is it accounted for to and by Wikia?

Middle aged encyclopedia salesman uses the unpaid labor of NPO workers to promote his own for profit corporation and having his fancy tickled if he can, a girl in every convention town ...

Does the young woman know what scrutiny is likely to happen to her if she succumbs?

It is probably a 'first' for an encyclopedia salesman/founder even to have groupie action. he has probably only got a couple of more years of it left before he has to pay for it outright (or was that Moscow?) and so good luck to him if he can.

This post has been edited by Cock-up-over-conspiracy:
+Quote Post
Emperor

Postmaster

Meanwhile his company, Wikia, is funneling visitors to Wikileaks.org where they can read illegally obtained classified documents, and he's not very interested and taking no responsibility.

I wonder if she knows that by working for Wikia, she is indirectly putting Canadian soldiers in Afghanistan at risk.

As we've discussed elsewhere, Wikia owns www.wikileaks.com, www.wikileaks.net, and www.wikileaks.us, all of which show the content of Wikileaks.org.
+Quote Post
The Adversary

CT (Check Troll)

QUOTE(thekohser @ Wed 25th August 2010, 11:51pm) *
Ok, I´ll say something!
Am I the only person who think this lady looks as if she is on drugs? Or is it normal for young women in North America to act this...."silly"? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/unsure.gif)
+Quote Post
Somey

Can't actually moderate (or even post)

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 275

QUOTE(The Adversary @ Thu 26th August 2010, 7:26pm) *
Am I the only person who think this lady looks as if she is on drugs? Or is it normal for young women in North America to act this...."silly"? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/unsure.gif)

Quite normal - we call it "social assimilation training," though most people just call it "high school."

Meanwhile, I was on Yahoo!Answers the other day and noticed that someone had posted a link to a new "Health Care Wikia." I'd been under the impression that although the Wikia staff don't actually check to see what people are doing with their website, at least the small army of Wikiland Forest Creatures™ checked sites like Y!A on a regular basis, would have seen the link, and would have notified the right person(s) at Wikia that this was going on. Inexplicably, they either haven't done so, or the Wikia people think this material is perfectly appropriate - I would have assumed they'd delete it almost instantaneously.

Instead, this has been up for at least three days, and who knows what else is buried in their bewildering number of (mostly moribund) subdomains. Maybe they should pay this woman $100 to help them figure shit like this out.
+Quote Post
Subtle Bee

melli fera, fera...

Group: Inactive

QUOTE(The Adversary @ Thu 26th August 2010, 5:26pm) *

Ok, I´ll say something!

No, you're not alone, and I'm from there. The video lasts exactly 4:20, and not a second too soon!
+Quote Post
dogbiscuit

Could you run through Verifiability not Truth once more?

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,015

QUOTE(The Adversary @ Fri 27th August 2010, 1:26am) *

Ok, I´ll say something!

I think it is a young person in front of a camera thing - nothing particularly American or female about it, it is universally depressing to see the "Look at me I'm so gingerblonde, duh!" routine acted out.
+Quote Post
Seurat

Member No.: 24,177

I admire her spirit. I maintain my admiration even if this project turns out to have been unproductive: variety is the spice of life.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)