FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Raul654 biased... say it ain't so.... -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Raul654 biased... say it ain't so...., admin abusively blocking
Kyaa the Catlord

Group: Contributors

Raul suggests that those who claim he routinely abusively blocks people diametrically opposed to his pov have no ground to stand on and challenges them to bring forth some evidence.

And subsequently gets pwned.

BAM HEADSHOT.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Herschelkrustofsky

Group: Members
Member No.: 130

It's a clear case of abuse of admin powers to push POV, in the grand tradition of Virginia Slim.
+Quote Post
Kyaa the Catlord

Yeah, I don't touch the global warming related articles. Too many POV pushing admins in that walled garden. Its amazing how quickly they circle the wagons tho. Must protect our fellow admins even when its impossible to defend him....
+Quote Post
Poetlister

Poetlister from Venus

Group: Inactive

don't forget these are issues subject to organised attempts by well funded outside bodies aiming to distort WP to present their own view, regardless of policies

Is that a dig at us?
+Quote Post
everyking

Postmaster

Group: Regulars

QUOTE(Poetlister @ Wed 26th December 2007, 5:42pm) *

don't forget these are issues subject to organised attempts by well funded outside bodies aiming to distort WP to present their own view, regardless of policies

Is that a dig at us?

No way. It's presumably an allegation directed at creationist and/or global warming skeptic groups.
+Quote Post
Eleland

This is another case where I'm torn between my dislike of the slightly blockhappy admin involvement, and the blatant idiocy of the POV-pushers who whine about it. For example, one of the anons listed there insisted that the IPCC (as in, everyone who's anyone in climate research) plus the National Academies of Science of the entire G8 plus China and India were "some of the scientific community."

There really does come a point when it's legitimate to block people for constant counterfactual POV-pushing, but doing it in this manner just invites drama.
+Quote Post
Herschelkrustofsky

QUOTE(Eleland @ Wed 26th December 2007, 9:57am) *

This is another case where I'm torn between my dislike of the slightly blockhappy admin involvement, and the blatant idiocy of the POV-pushers who whine about it. For example, one of the anons listed there insisted that the IPCC (as in, everyone who's anyone in climate research) plus the National Academies of Science of the entire G8 plus China and India were "some of the scientific community."

It's bad all around at those articles, because the POV of the ones who OWN them, including William Connolly and Raymond Arritt, is that there are no scientists at all that oppose the IPCC viewpoint. In reality, there are substantial numbers of scientists on both sides of the fence, which would appear to be a perfect opportunity to apply the NPOV doctrine, but no, that's not going to happen. Incidentally, the evidence supplied at ANI indicates that Raul654 has ventured into a realm far beyond the "slightly blockhappy."
+Quote Post
Miltopia

It's not only ok, but responsible in my book, to block (real) POV-pushers and the like. But it needs to be done by uninvolved admins. Why can't Raul654 use dispute resolution like everyone else?
+Quote Post
Kyaa the Catlord

QUOTE(Miltopia @ Wed 26th December 2007, 5:39pm) *

It's not only ok, but responsible in my book, to block (real) POV-pushers and the like. But it needs to be done by uninvolved admins. Why can't Raul654 use dispute resolution like everyone else?

Cause he's a crusader and must protect the walled garden they have carefully crafted.

+Quote Post
michael

I'm sorry, but when the fuck did "Administrators must not block users with whom they are engaged in a content dispute; instead, they should report the problem to other administrators" get thrown out of the window? I mentioned it when Jayjg was proposing the same, but it looks like they're all approving of Raul doing the same thing here.
+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

Member No.: 3,670

If everyone appropriately recused themselves from the exercise of Wiki-Power when they were a party to a dispute, Wikidrama would largely vanish.
+Quote Post
Kyaa the Catlord

Skandalon is a great word. It needs to be used more often.
+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

QUOTE(Kyaa the Catlord @ Thu 27th December 2007, 5:25am) *
Skandalon is a great word. It needs to be used more often.

I learned it from Rene Girard, who used it in his model of rivalrous conflict in Dostoevsky.
+Quote Post
guy

Postmaster General

Member No.: 23

Global warming is a classic example of when article writing should be left to people who know what they're talking about (on both sides of the argument) rather than letting the free market rip. I know enough about the subject to know that I don't feel competent to intervene. No doubt I'm in a minority.
+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

Global Warming is one of those slow, long-term trends that sneaks up on people, much like a rising tide.

Wikipedia has its own species of rising tide, which some of us are trying to document in these pages and on personal blogs.

Wikipedia is slowly being inundated by a rising tide of disrepute, exacerbated by leaks in the foundation.

Like all sandcastles, it will eventually wash away.
+Quote Post
Nathan

Retired

Member No.: 17

QUOTE(michael @ Thu 27th December 2007, 4:06am) *

I'm sorry, but when the fuck did "Administrators must not block users with whom they are engaged in a content dispute; instead, they should report the problem to other administrators" get thrown out of the window? I mentioned it when Jayjg was proposing the same, but it looks like they're all approving of Raul doing the same thing here.

I've brought up that exact issue several times (regarding another matter completely) to ArbCom, to WP:AN and pretty much anyone who would listen and sadly, nobody seems to care.
+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

It seems to be a fairly common lapse, for admins to fail to recuse themselves when they are a party to a dispute. Nor does ArbCom seen to care.
+Quote Post
Miltopia

They go really harsh on it at times, the problem is consistency. Alkivar and some others have been desysopped (or had their "controversial circumstances" resignations confirmed) for the same.
+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

...with Liberty and Justice for some, now and then.

Or not.
+Quote Post
Herschelkrustofsky

QUOTE(Moulton @ Thu 27th December 2007, 2:23am) *

If everyone appropriately recused themselves from the exercise of Wiki-Power when they were a party to a dispute, Wikidrama would largely vanish.

Under those circumstances, TINC would become reality.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)