FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Whitewash on the USS Liberty incident -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> Whitewash on the USS Liberty incident, Jayjg's POV running amok again
gomi

Group: Members

I found some concerning shenanigans around the page concerning the USS Liberty incident, the page about the attack by Israel on a US warship during Israel's Six-Day War with Egypt, an attack that killed 34 US sailors, and an accompanying article on Robert MacNamara, the then-current Secretary of Defense.

Someone (a SPA called "WorldFacts") added this para a week or so ago (somewhat de-wikified here):
Then Secretary of Defence Robert McNamara and President [[Lyndon B. Johnson]] ordered Admiral Isaac B. Kidd, the President of the Navy Court of Inquiry into the attack on June 8, 1967 of the USS Liberty, to conclude that "the attack was a case of 'mistaken identity' despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary." (1) Capt. Ward Boston USN, JAG (retired), states that "it is important for the American people to know that it is clear that Israel is responsible for deliberately attacking an American ship and murdering American sailors...". (2)

(1) <ref> U. S. Congress. House (2004) Representative John Conyers, Jr. Speaking on the "Findings of Independent Commission of Inquiry into the Israeli Attack on the USS Liberty, the Recall of Military Rescue Support Aircraft while the Ship was Under Attack, and the Subsequent Cover-up by the United States Government". 109th Cong., 1st Session. Congressional Record 150, No. 130, Daily Edition (11 October 2004): E1886</ref>
(2) ibid, E1887</ref>

This information, in addition to being in the Congressional Record here, is also the subject of a BBC article (here), and an extensive Chicago tribune article.

But Jayjg wants it out, and no "Reliable Source" is going to convince him otherwise. In those diffs, he throws the wiki-book at the two sentences, labeling them "dubious POV" and "WP:NOR and WP:BLP violations" while reverting 3 (but not 4!) times. At the same time he (stalks WorldFacts over to the Robert McNamara page and) again reverts three times (here, here, and here), his last reversion the one that stands as of this writing.

But that's not all! Jayjg then tells WorldFacts that "this is your last warning" (turns out also his first warning), and labels the IP involved a sockpuppet of "FearNoTruth", a user with only three edits back in March'08. Also interestingly, we see admin Balloonman parachuting (no pun intended) into the situation to supply reverts and warnings without any previous involvement or notification. Jayjg, in placing the sock tag on FearNoTruth, simply cites the McNamara page as "evidence" for this socking charge, despite posessing the checkuser bit, a tacit acknowledgment that he has no evidence.

He then marks the IPs page and WorldTruth's as "patrolled" (I have no idea what this means, but it is more than vaguely menacing).

Now, certainly people can disagree over the historical record regarding the USS Liberty. Veterans of that incident claim, with near unanimity, that the attack was deliberate, and Israel denies it, mostly with a "why ever would be do that?" defense. The US government, in its more official pronouncements, has denied a cover-up. But the text being inserted is from a notable US Senator reading into the Congressional record a sworn statement from a Navy JAG officer with contemporaneous knowledge that "I know from personal conversations I had with Admiral Kidd that President Lyndon Johnson and Secretary of Defense Robert McNamara ordered him to conclude that the attack was a case of ‘‘mistaken identity’’ despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary.". Whether one accepts that evidence or not, the statement certainly seems "reliably sourced"!

And if you look into Jayjg's edit history, you can find an incident this blatant every month or so -- simply hammering down on facts in the encyclopedia that he doesn't like, using threats of banning and any other tool at his disposal to make the editor go away. The concern here is for exactly the opposite of either truth or verifiability -- it is to exclude opposing viewpoints and including his own. In virtually all of these cases, Jayjg prevails.

Yet another reason not to trust anything you read in Wikipedia. Obvious vandalism may be funny or offensive, but this kind of thing is sneaky and pernicious.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
gomi   Whitewash on the USS Liberty incident  
Piperdown   gomi - 1st take - if its just Rep. Conyers' op...  
Cla68   gomi - 1st take - if its just Rep. Conyers' o...  
gomi   I don't edit WP, I merely report on it (really...  
Piperdown   I don't edit WP, I merely report on it (reall...  
Cla68   [quote name='gomi' post='134996' date='Thu 9th Oc...  
Herschelkrustofsky   What I find interesting that you think the additi...  
dtobias   I remember people fighting over the Liberty incide...  
Piperdown   I found some concerning shenanigans around the pa...  
Somey   There's usually a grain of truthiness in what ...  
Meringue   There's usually a grain of truthiness in what...  
Luís Henrique   I've never swallowed the "Jayjg is paid b...  
gomi   sorry about that, gomi. There was some bad stuff o...  
Milton Roe   This is why Wikipedia, however good it is as a re...  
Cla68   sorry about that, gomi. There was some bad stuff ...  
gomi   If Wikipedia, however, really wants to believe tha...  
cyofee   Maybe that's what they want you to think!  
Rhindle   Jayjg seems to be lying low now unless he's tr...  
Herschelkrustofsky   Cla, are you becoming the Robin Hood of wikiland?...  
gomi   Here's an update, Jayjg is back on the page (p...  
KStreetSlave   Here's an update, Jayjg is back on the page (...  
red85   I found some concerning shenanigans around the pa...  
EricBarbour   Just document the whole affair, and leave it here....  
Cla68   Just document the whole affair, and leave it here...  
gomi   The article does actually appear to be a target of...  
Herschelkrustofsky   Eloquently stated. However, there are simple means...  
gomi   Jayjg is at it again. Citing "talk page cons...  
Kato   Jayjg is at it again. Citing "talk page con...  
that one guy   Wow, probably one of the dumbest reasons to remove...  
Milton Roe   Wow, probably one of the dumbest reasons to remov...  
that one guy   I agree with the length, namely the lead. If you...  
Cla68   I agree with the length, namely the lead. If you...  
EricBarbour   Why doesn't one of those editors set to impro...  
Cla68   [quote name='Cla68' post='153561' date='Wed 28th ...  
Dzonatas   Just a side note: http://ussliberty.wordpress.com/...  
gomi   Another note -- one of the active editors on the a...  
thekohser   I don't know if I mentioned this publicly, but...  
EricBarbour   I don't know if I mentioned this publicly, bu...  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)